Montana Men: Protect Your Privates

Written by PETA | February 24, 2009

It seems that menfolk in Montana have the highest rate of prostate cancer in the country. We suspect that this may be due in part to the link between chowing down on animal products and the increased risk of developing this deadly disease. According to a recent study, some smarties at Oxford University think so too.

Since hearing about Montana’s prostate problem, PETA has sprung into action with this snazzy new billboard:

prostate_cancer_bb.JPG

In addition to prostate cancer, slurpin’ dairy products has been linked to a whole lotta no good, like an increased risk of heart disease and obesity in adults as well as allergies, ear infections, and juvenile-onset diabetes in children. Equally disturbing is the trauma that cows endure on dairy farms—and the fate of their babies (i.e., veal) is nothing short of horrific.

Now that I’ve depressed you all with the horrors of dairy, you can brighten your day by reading here about how easy it is to ditch dairy and meat. Then, once you’re all pumped up, click here to explore the deliciousness of vegan cooking.

Come on, Montana—dump the dairy. You have nothing to lose but scary doctor’s appointments.

Written by Missy Lane

Comments

• Mike Quinoa says:

Hi Rojo That’s true. Any statement about health seems to involve generalization since we are all similar yet at the same time different. Dr. John McDougall has a great wellreferenced website with some very interesting newsletters one of which touches on this matter httpwww.drmcdougall.commisc2007nlmardairy.htm Be forewarned though he does promote a vegan diet he himself eats a bit of turkey every second Thanksgiving to prevent being labelled a veganlol.

• rojo says:

G’day Mike as usual researchers don’t provide unsubstantiated conclusions thats the realm of self interest groups. from your link high meat and dairy intake can lift levels up to 15. It’s a bit too open a statement one person could be the 15. the rest could be 3. What the summaries don’t say is how high above the norm the IGF1 levels are that can cause a 40 increase in risk. Does 15 do it or does genetic predisposition increse levels by 30 say. Without such info it’s hard to make a call.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Men with elevated IGF1 insulinlike growth factor levels are more prone to prostate cancer and faster growing tumours. Foods implicated in this elevation are meat and dairy httpnews.bbc.co.uk2hihealth7655405.stm As usual though researchers waffle about making any clearcut recommendations.

• rojo oz says:

“While there are established risk factors associated with prostate cancer of age family history and ethnicity there are no clear data on modifiable risk factors” from your link. Can I point out the “modifiable” ie diet being one. httpwww.ny1.comcontentny1living94451newstudymilkmaylowercancerriskDefault.aspx httphealth.usnews.comarticleshealthhealthday20090213researchersidbiomarkerforfatalprostatecancer.html

• Ali says:

This billboard is great. I live in Montana and would love to see PETA acquire a bigger presence in the state. I see the letters PETA on Tshirts all the time… but I’m sure most of you can imagine what the words underneath that acronym are you know something along the lines of “tasty animals”. It makes me sad that people here tend to be defensive when it comes to animal products it is “cattle country” after all but I also find it to be a fun challenge living among them. Montanans are good people and some of the friendliest of anywhere I’ve been I’m not a native just moved here. So they are usually polite and even sometimes open to learning about veganism and animal issues if you approach the subject in a nonthreatening way. In other words I’d love to see this billboard in my town!

• Michelle says:

I’ve always disliked drinking milk even as a baby.

• Brad says:

I have been a vegan for awhile but only recently did I muster up the nerve to try soy milk. And it was wonderful! I can finally eat cereal again! After my “discovery” I rushed to try soy ice cream sandwiches. They were amazing. It got me thinking. Both cow milk and soy milk or nut milk are primarily water. The flavoring and color are only a minute part of the mixture. So why the hell not use soy powder instead of lactose to obtain a similar result? Especially if the soy milk is much healthier and cruelfree?

• Pepsi One is Fun says:

Why can’t all cows live in India where they milk by hand for religious reasons? That would be awsome. Anyway I could probably live off coffee soy milk so whatever.

• Joanna says:

I just can’t even say how much my own health has improved in the last 12 months of eliminating all dairy products from my diet. I was suffering from repeated sinus headaches and using antibiotics several times a year to treat the symtoms of the sinus infections. I was eating alot of milk products becuase I thought I needed them since I did not eat much meat. In the last 12 months I have not had a cold a sinus head ache or needed any antibiotics. Also no decongestants. Since my sinuses are all open if ever I get a little sniffle it just passes with no problems. No Milk and I’m Loving It. I have mentioned my sucess to neighbors and coworkers when they say they have a terrible sinus condition. Several people are now telling me its working for them too. Small steps but at least they are in the right direction. Milk IS toxic waste. Sprouts and sprouted bean and grain products are a good replacement food. Best of all is driving by the God awful factory dairy farms with the cows up to their arm pits in mud and knowing I am not responsible for making those cows suffer or eating from their mud and poo encrusted utters. The most upsetting thing is to see the many acres of clean green pasture surrounding the dairy barns and corrals. The farmers keep the cows in confinement even when they could rotate them in pasture. I am sure their effeciency experts all agree its cheaper and uses less labor to leave the cows standing in mud than to let them have any access to the pasture. The farmers mow the pasture to feed the cows but the cows just are left rotting in their pens. Very SAD.

• Lisa says:

Ugh. Bans and recalls are placed on carcinogenic chemicals why not the milk we steal from cows? People seem to be caring more about the synthetic products they take into their bodies hopefully this makes some of them think about the other things too. We’re not supposed to drink milk longer than the first few months of our lives let alone milk stolen painfully from another species! Keep up the good work guys.