Monkey Boiled Alive at SNBL

Written by PETA | February 6, 2008

Update: Please click here to take action on this issue.

SNBL.JPGI wish I could say that the title of this entry were anything other than a simple statement of fact. But according to shocking allegations made by a former animal technician at Shin Nippon Biomedical Laboratories (SNBL), the recent boiling of a live female macaque monkey—who was evidently placed inside a giant rack washer inside her wire cage and killed during the 180 degree, 20-minute cycle—was just one in a long list of egregious animal welfare violations at the animal-testing facility.

The whistleblower, whose employment was terminated shortly after she complained about these apparent violations, told reporters that SNBL’s reaction to her inquiry about the incident with the macaque was to complain about the additional paperwork that it was generating.

“When I inquired about it,” she told a Kiro TV reporter who investigated her allegations, “the reply I got back was ‘Oh, dear.’ Think of the paperwork. That just upset me to my soul because no animal in there should die because of somebody’s mistake or negligence or lack of compassion. “

Last week, PETA sent the whistleblower a $1,000 check and a basket of groceries to thank her for standing up for the animals abused in this lab despite the fact that her decision to do so likely led to her firing. As PETA President Ingrid Newkirk puts it, “Her ‘reward’ for revealing SNBL’s callous and vicious treatment of monkeys was unemployment. But in our book and that of all primates, she’s a hero.”

The USDA is currently investigating this incident, so there’s a chance that the lab will be held accountable for this horrific negligence, but there isn’t much hope that those responsible will be charged with cruelty to animals. As the Seattle television station which has been covering this story pointed out, although causing unnecessary suffering or death to an animal is illegal in the state, there’s an exemption for this on the books in cases where the cruelty is connected with “any properly conducted scientific experiments.”

As horrific as this story is, it would never even have come to light in the first place had it not been for the whistleblower’s willingness to speak out, and we are extremely grateful to her for her bravery. You can watch investigative footage of this lab here, and for more information about what you can do to help animals suffering in laboratories, click here.

Comments

• tammy Gossard says:

Disgusting to hurt ,use animals for experiments,we don’t need experiments we come from the link of all us being connected ,you are gross people ,, waht is wrong with your souls,they are not here for you to torment,what if you were being tormented ,stop,you will be held by God’s kingdom as well as laws here and judgemnet of your peers for waht you do.Your vanity for whatever your sick reasons for boiling a monkey alive,injecting poisions into shivering ,cold,disgusting cocontions of stupid experiments ,must stop,,please get hearts!!!!!

• Serpentz says:

Someone needs to go to jail…and that’s the bottom line. We have laws in this country against animal abuse such as this. But this is a big corporation and it’s going to take a lot more than whining about it to get the person responsible to pay for this.

• Dash Riprock says:

“Confused”above must be the whistleblower’s boss. Put “Confused” on notice as well.

• Bird! says:

The only ones that need to wake up here are those people that don’t think that these things are really happening. As I am sure many people feel the same way as I do – I wish we could subject the folks at this awful company to the same treatment they give to the animals. The Contact Us email for SNBL in WA is: info@snblusa.com

• Confused says:

Here it is August 2011 and I never heard of this. I must assume that Joanie was the one scamming PETA for the $1,000 and the groceries. Wake up people, just because somebody says soemthing dosen’t make it so.

• Donna DeSopo says:

Whoever did this served notice, not only on animals, but also humans. There are ample data to support this fact, which is why more must be done to savages that perform these sick acts. The facility should be shut down until this case is resolved. Unfortunately, animal testing remains, so it would likely be reopened. This begs the questions, What is the USDSA doing anyway? Where is the follow up and protocols to ensure that animals are not abused if this supposedly regulated agency allows for animal research without checks and balances? I do not know about this facility and why does it even need to conduct such testing? For example, if the net goal was to test Rx products that may improve or save the lives of humans, how can we not protect the animals who have made the ultimate sacrifice for us, humans? It is a tragic commentary regarding a specie who is supposed to be so “evolved”. I often question that. Keep the pressure on this place. My thanks to the whistle blower for exposing this shameful crime.

• terezia ildiko fogarasi says:

This is not only outrages but terribly sad and inhumane. How does something like this happen? What was the person thinking who put the animal in the washer…I’m sorry but the person should have been terminated.

• tom moore says:

This is so god damn sick I just hate to think this is true.

• Mary Calarrudo says:

• kim says:

This is disgusting! When are humans going to realize animals have feelings and emotions too?! They are treating animals like slaves and I thought slavery was abolished!

• isabella says:

animal testing needs to be banned once and for all. ANIMAL CRUELTY HAS TO BE PUNISHED HARSHLY!!!

• Julie Kozel says:

The poor monkey. I hope she was killed quickly didn’t have to suffer. This is horrifying. I have read about a lot of cruelty because I have been an animal rights person for basically my whole life but this is one of the worst incidents I have ever heard of. This was not an accident but rather done by a sadistic person who has no respect for life. I have been a vegetarian for 17 years as well as buy cruelty free always. If it’s not cruelty free I do without. See http://www.leapingbunny.org for a list of certified cruelty free companies that you can buy from to make it simple natural foods stores like Wild Oats stock these items also Kroger’s Nature’s Market section has them even WalMart is stocking some these days. Maybe some of these “animal research” facilities will be put out of business if enough people start buying cruelty free. We need to write letters sign petitions do more to speak out against these horrible atrocities. just think how many things like this go unreported. Thank God for whistle blowers like this woman. Pray for animals that their suffering be lessened in this horribly cruel world that we live in. Go cruelty free in any way you can!

• Tucker says:

THIS IS JUST SO HORRIFIC INHUMANE AND DOWN RIGHT SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE PEOPLE ARE OBVIOUSLY SICK PEOPL AND NEED TO BE PUT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE DAMB BASTARD NEED TO GO TO JAIL AND BE FINED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SICKSICK PEOPLE HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF?!?!…………….

• Laura says:

I am so sick of horrible humans. I hate what we as a species have turned into….I would love to boil the “researchers” alive and see how they like it. Bastards.

• Gillian Day says:

I hope that the people involved in anysort of cruelty to animals come back in the next life and suffer the same cruelty and pain no animal should have to suffer. When are humans going to accept we are all equal?

• Carla says:

I do not have much to say it is so devastating to hear this just a few days after seeing a mother and a baby whale being murdered by the Japanese in international waters. Unfortunately whalers are very difficult to detain without a lot of support. But we know the names of those responsible for this atrocity hopefully someone will find lawyers willing to prosecute them a judge willing to jail them.

• Jaquie Walsh says:

Some sick person or people did this grusome torture of a monkey for what it seems like for their pleasure sick unhuman individuals. What is happening in this world that some people take pleasure in killing helpless defenceless animals.

• Chrystal Davis says:

This makes me sick. Properly conducted experiments??? Right…why not test on all the employees there instead of the animals! I’m all for that idea. Let them know what it feels like.

• tiff says:

sick. thats like sticking your kid in the washer on hot water cycle. ew

• rojo says:

I read McCully was the one responsible for hiring and training those involved in this tragedy. perhaps she’ll donate that peta money back.

• Ana says:

Roger You are so right agree with your comment. How horrible this is!!! This poor creature endured so much pain agony and fear. Hello Maya!! Thanks for your support. The USDA the United States Depraved Authority is simply that. The NIH and the USDA sleep with each other. So much contempt for life. Very sad to read about the poor cats.

• Lori says:

Ahhhh another giant step for mankind. Another step towards our total and selfinflicted damnation as a species. As I have said before God is watching us and he is crying.

• Melanie says:

what in the world were they thinking??? how would they like it if a monkey boiled them alive??? boiling a monkey is like boiling a family member don’t they share about 97 of our DNA???

• stlynch says:

Devastating. It’s horribly unsettling to know that people can be so cruel.

• Judith, Freedom Fighter for Animals says:

This was no mistake. This monster did this on purpose. The poster above is right this person is demonic. This person needs to suffer greatly.

• Roger says:

I heard this on the radio and had to pull over and throw up. It was 2 days ago I can’t shake it nor should I. I can’t take it. I’m still sick every time I think of it I can stop thinking of it. The poor thing a mothers baby. her whole life was suffering and then to be put through that. I think I would cage the persons who did this and push the button to start the process myself. This was no accident.

• lynda downie says:

You can bet if it’d been a human boiled alive accident or not the story would’ve aired on all the major news networks. I only heard about the little guy here. Thanks to Joanie Mccully for making a crack in the dense walls of this institution.

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

Ana I agree and the USDA does an atrocious job. I reported a zoo in our area that was absolutely torturing its animals and keeping stray cats to get rid of rodents denying them food and water but forcing them to stay on the property and forcing them to drink from a pond and the USDA had already been there 3 times that year!! They did not do a thing about the animal cruelty there. We really need to step up the pressure once a dem gets elected hopefully to make them do their jobs.

• Anonymous says:

WOW!!!!!! I read this and was immediately horrified! No animals deserve this kind of cruelty.

• Ryan says:

i really respect whistle blowers because not only are they exposing and bringing attention to cruel animal labs they do so at the risk of their own jobs and careers. although i don’t think it’s a bad thing that she will be barred from ever working in an animal lab again i’m sure she’s not too excited about the idea of changing careers completely now. good for her.

• stoptorture says:

This kind of stuff is just utterly demonic. And the fact that so many people are ok with boiling alive and skinning alive and so forth just shows how far people are from Jesus. I mean to boil alive someone is to be as far from Jesus as a demon. I hope it was some accident but how could it be? And firing the person who reported this monstrosity is very telling of the SNBL. Places like that should be razed to the ground. But you likely won’t even see this on the news.

• K says:

Oh My Fuing God.

• Susannah S says:

I wrote to this laboratory upon reading this and am waiting for their response. I am so sick and tired of abuses being inflicted on animals in the name of “science” or “medical research”. Or food for that matter. Or coats. Or circuses. What is WRONG with the human race that we keep on perpetuating this and tolerating these abuses?

• Anne says:

It is sickening and disturbing how these animals suffer and are in pain and no one in these labs care or have empathy. I frankly think think these lab researchers need pyschiatric help. It is pyschotic to be immune to such suffering.

• LuLu says:

I’m not seeing how boiling any sort of animal alive is a ‘mistake’ someone is to blame whether on purpose or not the person obviously didn’t care for the animals welfare which resulted in its . Thank you Joanie McCully your an awesome person!

• Maria O'Connor says:

I too have become a vegetarian since doing research about all of animal testing that is happening. I was completely unaware until I found PETA. Why oh why does all of this have to happen???? The FDA does not require animal testing so why on earth does it happen? The United States needs to get with it as we are one of the FEW countries still taking part. SICK!!!!!

• RAGE AGAINST RASCALS says:

I think this was intentional and no accident these aborted vivisectioning bastards stop from nothing to fullfill their ruthless crimes! May the guilty person or persons perish in the same way as this poor helpless martyr! Amen!

• Peace to You says:

It is unthinkable this cruel pitiless ruthless brutal savage act of total disrespect for life. If God is watching the soul of the person responsible for this act heshe is in great danger. The court of we humans should punish this person to the fullest extent of the law.

• Carla says:

WHAT THE HECK!!! This was “NOT” a mistake!! Someone had to phyically take that monkey and put her in there! This was uncalled for and unnecessary TOURTURE!! This person or persons’ responsible for her UNNECESSARY death should not only be fired but GO TO JAIL!! I know if it were someone on the outside doing this they MOST certainly would be prosecuted for a crime of this magnitude!!! And don’t give me that BS science shit! Boiling water will kill you when your whole body is submerged in it!! DUH!!

• Ashes says:

I don’t understand how this mistake was made. The post refers to this as negligence. It wasn’t an official experiment or something a researcher did. It is difficult to understand how anyone could accidentally leave a monkey in a cage while loading the cage in a washer. It seems like the employee who did it may have had some motive other than doing hisher job.

• Ana says:

This is NOT science. These are sadistic bastards who enjoy hurting mutilating torturing and killing their helpless victims behind closed doors. These actions are an indictment against the American government and the USDA the United States Depraved Authority. Joanie McCully displayed moral courage and integrity in questioning this cruel activity that resulted in a painful death for an innocent primate. Shame on all of these demented sadists! My taxes pay for this type of horror??? Well I want it terminated permanently.

• shania says:

this is disgusting animal cruelty much?

• Deanna says:

OMG!! I just can’t understand WHY people are soooo heartless and WHY most think animals have NO feelings it’s just terrible what human kind will do. I mean think about it.If you prick them do they don’t bleed? If you hit them do they not cry? How can some people actually think animals don’t feel??

• Anonymous says:

What is wrong with people? Leave the animals alone and test on yourselves you perversions of nature!

• Pamela Thom says:

I’ve been researching in the last couple of months allll the animal cruelty going on alll around us. It is overwhelming. I have become a Vegan because of this. I thank PETA for being strong enough to get the job done though there is just so much more. People that blow PETA off are just idiots that are afraid to face the truth and don’t want to do anything about it. Thank you again PETA for keeping us informed and all the other humane and great things you do for our animal friends. My main focus is to stop horse slaughter though I want all slaughter to stop of all animals!

• NutMeg says:

Good for her. what a disgusting ‘mistake’.

• mags says:

God have mercy on those SNBL workers

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

I’m not sure I understand how someone could have placed a cage with a primate inside in a rack for washing without noticing it. The report says it’s an accident but it sounds to me like it could have been part of their scheme to amuse themselves.

• Kelley says:

What more could one possibly say about this?

• Brandon Becker says:

Absolutely horrific. I thank Joanie McCully for bravely speaking the truth and exposing what goes on behind the walls of laboratories. As was stated in the story anything is legal in animal experimentation no matter how awful if it can be “scientifically justified.” I’m sure the SNBL will trot out their “animal welfare” board to assure us all that everything is under control and that we can have “faith” in the “humane care” of animals used in experiments. We must not be scammed by these institutitional use committees. Animal expermintation is inherently cruel and unjust. Let us be an uncompromising force and stand strong for the animals who are tortured and killed by government and industry. Together we can permanently shut down these atrocities!