Army to Investigate Sheep-beating Video

Written by PETA | January 26, 2012

Update: Thanks to an anonymous supporter, PETA is now offering $5,000 for information leading to the identification of the men responsible for this beating. The U.S. Army has now determined that the uniforms worn in the video belong to the U.S. Air Force, and the Air Force has launched its own investigation.

The following was originally posted on January 18, 2012:

Update: After much public outcry, Army investigators are looking into the video that depict soldiers beating a sheep with a baseball bat. “We are aware of a Live Leak video depicting the killing of a sheep,” an Army spokesman said. “The actions of those involved are not condoned or supported in any way. We are currently assessing the situation to determine more information.”

The following was originally posted January 13, 2012:

Last year, a scandalous video emerged of a U.S. marine throwing a puppy off a cliff. Now there is this video of a soldier repeatedly beating a sheep with a baseball bat to the whoops and laughter of other soldiers who are looking on. I would say “beating to death” because that is probably what happened, but we do not know the upshot. We only know, from watching the video and seeing the mood of the soldiers — and what appears to be a local lad who arrived with the animal — that the sheep could only have come to a very nasty end. He or she tries to rise several times but the soldier continues to thwack away amid the laughter.

PETA did what it always does when someone blows the whistle on these incidents of gratuitous cruelty: We wrote to Secretary of the Army John McHugh and then, when no answer was forthcoming, to other high-ranking officers, including Chief of Public Affairs General Stephen Lanza and Commanding General of the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command David E. Quantock. No one — not PETA and not the thousands of people who have seen this video and are rightly disturbed by it — has received any acknowledgment, not even a single comforting word, that an investigation has been started.

Click here to read the full article at Huffington Post

Written by Ingrid E. Newkirk

Comments

• BARBARA says:

MY FATHER WAS A US ARMY RANGER IN WWII~ IF HE WERE ALIVE HE WOULD BE SO ASHAMED OF THE ACTIONS OF THESE MEN. SO ASHAMED…

• catherine says:

You can’t tell me they don’t know who that is.Their must be a cover up from the army sick son of B****

• catherine says:

is what the army teaches.Oh my god.That the most awful thing.I hope they are sent to jail.How cruel didnt their mothers teach them anything.

• Marcia says:

Another disgusting display of the macho guys providing “entertainment” for their fellow bullies and teaching a kid that tormenting animals is fun. I’m glad that PETA became involved and that at least some people are appalled at what happened to the innocent sheep. Without the complaints about the vile behavior, the army would likely have looked the other way.

• JonBayJonHo says:

There is something wrong with the US Army. Serious changes need to be made within the US Army to ensure that members of the US Army have real consequenses for their cruel actions. The Army also needs to reevaluate and be more selective during the recruitment screening process. When members of the Army behave like animals, all of the good soldiers in all branches suffer from the disgusting actions of the rotten ones. Many citizens would be shocked to learn that there is rampant theft of personal property and personal harassment by members of the US Army against their own soldiers also. The US deserves better and the US Army needs to reorganize to restore the dignity lost for every American by the actions of rogue unsupervised members of the Army.

• Ursula says:

This is horrible, unacceptable behavior that should and, undoubtedly, will be punished. I don’t think these men represent the majority of the military, I would say they represent a select few. Unfortunately you will find sadists in every group of people in a society. What I don’t understand is the disbelief that someone could possibly commit this level of cruelty. There are people who violently rape and murder children as young as a month old, a mother in a town near where I live who placed her 3 week old child in a washing machine and turned it on, men who beat children to death to get revenge on their spouses, so the idea that people could be just as mericiless and evil to an animal does not surprise me.

• veg<3 says:

This makes me so sad

• Tracey says:

This is disgusting, disturbing and downright cruel. What kind of human being does this sort of thing????

• andy w says:

i am military soldier and was veteran this video is sick and those responsible if found will no doubt face serious time at leavenwoth which is byfar worse than a civilian prison.. i saw this and wand the other comments and wanted to make sure that people know these people are sick and represent no one but themselves this is not the way of the military and is it sad to think the 99 percent that do good things and are just trying to provide for our families and protect this nation(because someone has to) are tarnished by these air force punks who clearly are disturbed in the head.

• S says:

I can’t watch. The description is enough for me. My uncle was a brave soldier who was in the army and who fought in WW2. he loved children and animals he was an honorable man. fast forward to the ‘soldiers’ of today. a friend of mine who was in the air force told me that us air force members told him that they were going to go back to drug dealing after finishing their time (in a non-combat zone). so this is the type of person you have in your armed services today. i hope this represents the minority. i know there must be honorable men and women who are serving. but sadistic animal killers are lowlife criminals. i hope they will be brought to justice swiftly and harshly. karma will also ensure they get what they gave to this innocent animal. and karma cannot, be lied to , escaped from or paid off.

• ENM says:

I could not even watch the video. I am to disgusted and frightened.I used to look up the them the army marines etc. IS this the new standards for being a soldier? Guess so :(

• BetteR says:

This video was heartbreaking…I hope these “men” are dishonorably discharged after serving a long sentence for this cruelty. Obvioiusly they have no respect for much and should not be a representative of the Armed Forces. It’s quite obvious they themselves have taken a few hits to the head over their years. Their parents must be so proud of the scum they raised! I hope these jackasses never breed their hatred.

• Sergey says:

Why it does not in the U.S. media? P.S. I’m from Russia and use online translator.

• Sergey says:

Thanks you PETA. Shame on those sadists! You must stop the evil!

• Sergey says:

Well done! Find them, my friends. Greetings from Russia.

• kgleason says:

After viewing several soldier/animal abuse vidios on youtube, I am disgusted. Is this now standard in the military? What kind of immature bullies are we paying to serve this country? No wonder Americans are hated. I am quickly losing respect I once had for our military.

• Linn says:

The beating itself is enough to scar me. The hysterical laughing and waiting for the sheep to stand before beating it down will haunt me for the rest of my life. Out there, moving among us in neighborhoods, stores, and in the workplace, are human beings who would LAUGH uproariously while killing an innocent animal. I am sick to my stomach.

• Betty says:

I am so glad that that the person or persons that did this terrible thing is going to be punished . What they did was one of the worst I still cant bring myself to watch it just to read it was heart breaking enough.I hope that the us air force does do something not just say they will.

• Karen Serrano says:

Well, it is evident that the U.S. Military has some psychotic people enlisted. Each person in that video is guilty & should be punished harshly before they move on to human beings & more innocent animals. They do NOT deserve the Honor of being in our military!!!

• Rose says:

I am so appauled at the cruel nature of the human beings involved…laughing at the poor suffering gentle creature…this is pure evil. My heart aches for the beautiful sheep. I wish that I could just hold it and love it and tell it how sorry I am that it had to suffer at the hands of evil men. Are we not suppose to be the intelligent ones? Perhaps not, not as long as things like this occur, with all of our advances in technology, we are still ignorent to allow this to go on in the world. Americans are suppose to set a compassionate, peaceful, positive example for the world…shame on these men, they are no better than the men they are fighting!

• Muriel says:

Yikes, is that the new training in the US military? When I went through mine (in the 80s), we were taught that life was important and that our role was to protect it. I couldn’t watch the whole video. It was to sickening. I am frankly horrified by the monstrosity that “man” displays. I say, throw him in jail -and lose the key- before he start doing this to humans, because that’s where psychopathic murderers start: with animals.

• ryan says:

Im feel ashamed for beinf in the military, but i can tell that wasnt the army cause im in the army. Thats air force uniforms.

• elena says:

i didnt watch the video,i wouldnt be able to handle it.I dont beleive any investigation will take place,seen,heard this so many times by the military…its all bollocks!they are all killers in my eyes,they have displayed cruelty not onlt to animals,to humans as well-There will be no justice as long as man will stand with a knife or with a gun and destroy those who are weaker than he is.If you have men who will exclude any of God’s creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men that who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

• Karen says:

Unbelievable!! What the hell is wrong with people??!! I knew I would’nt be able to watch it!! These”men” should be ashamed of themselves!! I surew hope the army is successful in finding and punishing these “animals”!!!!

• Marissa says:

I am going to be scarred by seeing this horrible, horrible video. I will never, ever lose the image of that poor inncent animal struggle valiantly to live. Seeing her little legs trembling as she tried to get up just broke my heart. I truly dont know how we are supposed to live in a world with this level of sick cruelty. When I see that goat, I can see my dog or cat or even my child…it doesnt make a difference to me…All life s precious, and it is just EVIL to see it snuffed out like that. And to hear those “men” laughing…Its just sick!

• KC says:

Peta please do not let this slip by the wayside. Keep it going and force them to publicly denounce this behavior and punish all of these people. The little boy was clearly freaking out. The military is a sick bunch of bullies in this day and age. They have lost all sense of serving the country. The petition site dot com has a petition already going. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/28/demand-justice-for-military-sheep-beating/

• Ladan says:

I had to fast forward through the video as it was so hard watch it. I can only hope these cowards are scared and have sleepless nights since the video is public.

• Darlene Marshall says:

Hats off to you Jan!!! I couldnt have said it any better. You spoke for me and millions of others you are saddened at this dispicable satanic act. Thankyou for being the voice for all of us, God Bless You!……..Darlene

• Anna says:

I could not even watch the video. I find animal abuse to be so heartbreaking, especially considering how innocent they are. Especially sheep- they are often so playful and sweet. And for someone to act in a manner that is just so cruel to a defenseless animal, I will never understand.

• Dave says:

I don’t understand how people can be so disgustingly cold. Just watching the video made me sick. What horrible pain that sheep went through before finally dying. Boils my blood. I don’t want my kids growing up with those pieces of turds in society.

• Steve says:

This is absolutely sickening. People like this don’t deserve to share the air we and earth’s other beautiful creatures breathe. The U.S. Ait Force must be held accountable for this abominable behavior by its troops and must do all it can to get to determine who was responsible and press charges against them.

• MK Patterson says:

WHERE can we write to to expedite the investigation. I am a veteran and I am horribly ashamed at the actions of these military personnel. This sounds like a foreign base as the child did not speak English. REGARDLESS, this is an atrocity, the US Government and the Air Force should swiftly write these folks up, AND punish them for disgracing the uniform and the country they are serving. I have NEVER been so ashamed.

• Irene Leggett says:

Sickening and disgusted that a so-called ‘man’ could inflict such deliberate and calculating abuse on an innocent animal. Shame. shame, shame also on the ones that stood watching and laughing and to the one videoing such a dispicable act of cruelty. I sincerely hope you all get your just deserts any time soon, and I feel pity that you have lost all sense of compassion, empathy and certainly all moral ethics.

• amy d says:

I have not watched the video as I know I will never forget what I see. It’s bad enough seeing sheep in fields, knowing that they are gonna get slaughtered. But this? I just can’t. I’m gnu pray that whoever is responsible for being a heartless, cruel, barbaric  b*****d gets what’s coming to them. They can’t escape Karma! There has to be tougher and more severe consequences for this gut wrenching, sickening gross deliberate act. It’s so upsetting.

• Leslie G. says:

I really hope you keep on this store PETA. This is truly heartbreaking, I couldn’t watch the video but ever since reading about it, I can’t get it out of my mind how terribly disturbed these people are. Their names needs to be exposed to the public so EVERYONE will know that they are disgusting and in need of serious mental help.

• Linda says:

How would the guy with the bat enjoy it if someone beat him the way he did that poor sheep. What did that sheep ever do to him other than possibly provide wool for him to put on his body. I was absolutely disgusted with our military men in how they portrayed themselves. Bible says “an eye for an eye”.

• Fletcher says:

This makes me so sad, and ashamed of the human race. I wish I could do something more to help the wildlife on this beautiful planet. I am glad this video surfaced, so hopefully this stupid man will live with less dignity, and everlasting shame.

• Tina says:

Shameful….i’m disgusted and disappointed that those men have disgraced our country by this senseless act of cruelty. Regrets will come their way!!!

• Tracy says:

I can’t even bring myself to watch it, I feel sick at the thought of this happening. I hope the culprits are imprisoned for this.

• Ayesha says:

Well that’s settled any doubts for sure – after all these years the human race has learnt nothing and we’re still just one step away from being the brainless caveman we first descended as. And WE have the cheek to call those who commit acts of cruelty & thuggery ANIMALS! A superior species – us? Don’t make me laugh. As for these so-called big tough military men who’s actions have left me sickened and in tears, I hope Lady Karma catches up with you and yours pretty soon.

• Suparna says:

Abhorable behaviour.The guilty should be punished.Human beings are the vilest of creatures ever produced on the face of planet earth.

• Simone says:

that make me very sick,hope your find the names,

• joiceann says:

I am sick to my stomach I could not even watch ot past 2 seconds!!

• Betsabee says:

I notice that the man with the bat is not in uniform. I almost feel like he’s there as part of the entertainment for the soldiers. It looks like something he’s done before. There also appears to be a young boy in the background, 12 years old or so, jumping up and down excitedly. Also the sheep seems to already be in some distress before the beating begins. Incredible. Plenty of emotional illness on display.

• Elisa Fuentes says:

I sign for stop animal abuse right now! it’s no fare to them.

• HINDY says:

I HOPE PETA CONTINUES TO FOLLOW UP ON THIS MATTER.

• Katie says:

I couldn’t watch the whole thing. Cruelty is something humans should be ashamed of. It accomplishes absolutely nothing positive. I’d like to tell these guys that after my stomache settles from disgust, I think they are all small-minded.

• Beatriz Galiana says:

These men should be prosecuted!

• Jan Hurst says:

Despite my fears I had to see this video for myself as I couldn’t believe that serving (and so-called brave) US military men could be capable of such a thing, but now I’ve seen it for myself…. oh Lord, I am thoroughly sickened, heartbroken, disgusted. That poor, poor animal. You call these thugs MEN? “The courageous US military”? What a bloody joke! They’re nothing more than cowards the lot of them – and mentally deficient ones at that. To be able to beat up a poor, defenceless creature for fun and entertainment is beyond human, in fact it’s pure, psychopathic evil and they all need treatment. Totally devoid of all decency and compassion, I wouldn’t want a one of them fighting for me and mine – oh no – not in my name thanks, you complete cowards. Surely their families can’t still feel proud of them after this? For me & mine, we’ve lost all respect for any good they’re supposed to have done by being out in Iraq/Afghanistan etc and certainly won’t be shedding tears anymore when a one of them loses their lives as a result of what is, after all, doing their job. No, I’ll save my tears for the deserving – like this innocent poor sheep and the helpless puppy thrown from a cliff by some “big brave marine” scumbag last year. God help all the other poor creatures who’ll have the misfortune to interact with the likes of such sorry excuses for human beings, and God forgive you your sins too, because I certainly can’t.

• Margarita Denman says:

COWARDLY, CARELESS AND SADISTIC CRUELTY FROM THIS EVIL PEOPLE, THEY SHOULD GET COURTMARSHALLED NOW!!! WHAT KIND OF EVIL PEOPLE ARE THESE!!!. I HOPE THAT THEY CAN GET PROSECUTED AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. MAKES ME FEEL SICK!, I WISH WE COULD GET THEIR NAMES!!!