Army to Investigate Sheep-beating Video

Written by PETA | January 26, 2012

Update: Thanks to an anonymous supporter, PETA is now offering $5,000 for information leading to the identification of the men responsible for this beating. The U.S. Army has now determined that the uniforms worn in the video belong to the U.S. Air Force, and the Air Force has launched its own investigation.

The following was originally posted on January 18, 2012:

Update: After much public outcry, Army investigators are looking into the video that depict soldiers beating a sheep with a baseball bat. “We are aware of a Live Leak video depicting the killing of a sheep,” an Army spokesman said. “The actions of those involved are not condoned or supported in any way. We are currently assessing the situation to determine more information.”

The following was originally posted January 13, 2012:

Last year, a scandalous video emerged of a U.S. marine throwing a puppy off a cliff. Now there is this video of a soldier repeatedly beating a sheep with a baseball bat to the whoops and laughter of other soldiers who are looking on. I would say “beating to death” because that is probably what happened, but we do not know the upshot. We only know, from watching the video and seeing the mood of the soldiers — and what appears to be a local lad who arrived with the animal — that the sheep could only have come to a very nasty end. He or she tries to rise several times but the soldier continues to thwack away amid the laughter.

PETA did what it always does when someone blows the whistle on these incidents of gratuitous cruelty: We wrote to Secretary of the Army John McHugh and then, when no answer was forthcoming, to other high-ranking officers, including Chief of Public Affairs General Stephen Lanza and Commanding General of the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command David E. Quantock. No one — not PETA and not the thousands of people who have seen this video and are rightly disturbed by it — has received any acknowledgment, not even a single comforting word, that an investigation has been started.

Click here to read the full article at Huffington Post

Written by Ingrid E. Newkirk

Comments

• Christopher Ipina says:

Wow, that’s just mean…..

• Gulsah says:

This is AWFUll! I screamed in horror when I saw this. these people should all be severely punished for the torture of this poor animal!

• Shelley says:

Please let the public know their names, I want them to be disgraced. HEARTLESS, INHUMANE COWARDS, every one of them.

• Daisy says:

This makes me cry. I cant believe these people’s senseless acts. How would they like it if their children or family members would be beat this way.

• Anne Johnsson says:

I can’t even watch this disgusting case of cruelty.Hope they find the perpetrators.Why are humans so cruel?

• Barbara Pierce says:

The only decent thing to do at this point is to revoke their citizenship and leave them on the street to be taken care of over there. We don’t need this here. We have enough, thank you.

• Barbara Pierce says:

In shock…

• Jess Mullins says:

It’s horrible that there are people out there like that. I think they are all mentally ill. They’d have to be.

• carolyn lombardi says:

I hope they find out who did this and they get courtmarshalled for this disgusting heartless act. They are supposed to be representing their counjtry and defending us from the animals who do the same thing to people in their countries and also 9-11..they are just as bad to set an example like that..shame on all involved…i hope they get prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

• 101fng says:

If you think this is bad, I suggest that you never go to Afghanistan. The “humane” slaughter of goat and sheep is no less gruesome.

• Ruby says:

This poor sweet innocent creature. These guys make me sick. The act is horrific and bad enough, but, what kind of people laugh at beating and killing a defenseless creature? The millitary? I don’t want them protecting this Country, if that is in fact what they do. Is that what they are representing in this video? Heroes? Isnt that what we call them? They are cowards and should pick on someone that can fight back. These “Heroes” should be charged with animal cruelty, the Army should step-up, but, they won’t, cowards. Thank you PETA.

• Leslie says:

I really can’t say I feel bad for those who are overseas now. That guy will probably suffer so much because of what he did to that sheep. Karma’s a b****.

• Olivia McGee says:

Very disturbing just reading the article. I could not bring myself to watch it. The mere thought of these Monsters acting out like this on an innocent, helpless animal. These are the PEACE KEEPERS of our country???They should be stripped of their uniform. A disgrace to our military. The US ARMY need to step up and put these CRIMINALS where they belong. IN JAIL.

• Mel Beasley says:

As an ex British soldier, I deplore the action of these scum. They are not fit to wear any uniform other than a prison one. I wrote to the Pentagon and various other heads of departments and never got any response.

• Shannon says:

These b*******s are not to be honored in any way. The military better do something to the satisfaction of the public or they will have a new war on their hands!!!

• verotika says:

i cant believe what i just saw. these people are “supposed” to be what we call our heros?!?!? im sorry but if they do that to a innocent sheep for fun what makes you think they cant do that or far worse to a human being. they deserve what they give, shame on all of them!

• John Longstff says:

Isn`t it scary to think that eventually this sick puke will be walking the streets of America. It does not surprise me that most of the world despises the USA. This is the typical scum they produce.

• Mark says:

I’m glad and thankful that PETA went up the chain of command to the Army in getting a response on this incident. I’ve had no luck with getting thru to the Dept. of Defense on an animal cruelty incident that i seen on youtube. Please reference my petition on other horrific incidents demonstrated by some of our troops doing unthinkable actions to animals: http://www.petition2congress.com/5414/hold-department-defense-accountable-inappropriate-actions-done-by/ I hope the perpetrators are caught and punished accordingly!

• Kristin says:

I can’t watch the video because I’ll just sit here and cry forever. And then I’ll have negative feelings about every military person I come across. Is there a particular person in the Army we could all be attempting to contact via mail, email, phone or fax to express our feelings on this video? We could also make recommendations on the punishment of these soldiers.

• Jean Cameron says:

These soldiers have disgraced their country, their countrymen and their uniform. This is truly a criminal offense, disgusting in it’s total lack of humanity and decency. Everyone involved should most certainly be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It’s just so pathetic that these “men” would find the horrific abuse of a defenseless animal enjoyable and empowering. These individuals are to be pitied and PROSECUTED. If the military fails to address this barbaric behavior, then they are complicit in the crime. The world will be watching to see how the military handles this…

• Beth says:

These are the so-called “heroes” ? I am ashamed that this savage is representing the United States of America. If this individual does not receive a dishonorable discharge from the military, i will assume that they condone this type of savage violence. This individual is an arrogant psychopath that should be removed from society. He has brought down the reputation of the U.S. military in my eyes along with his cohorts.

• Natcha says:

That is disgusting! How can anyone do that to any animal, person, any living thing is deeply disturbing. How can anyone look up to them as heroes? It is a sad for all of us.

• Rev Lorraine Barrie says:

To sadistically torture an defenseless living being like this is incomprehensible. What kind of Army do we have? A bunch of 3rd-grade worthless bullies?

• Myriam says:

Absolutely disgusting. That soldier must have feel so strong against a poor helpless animal. What a bully! If that’s all the army can provide, it is not much. To think those soldiers represent the USA in the world. No wonder we are not appreciate to say the least.

• Barbasra says:

I am so sorry for this precious creature. God surely grieves when His own creation is treated so. Poor baby. I agree with prior comments. Our military personnell will pay by God’s hand. Vengeance is mine says the Lord, I will repay. (bible verse). My heart grieves for this creature. THANK YOU PETA. I LOVE YOU AND THE GREAT WORK YOU ARE DOING!!! IF IT WERE NOT FOR YOU, SO MANY CRUELTY ISSUES WOULD NEVER BE DEALT WITH. PEOPLE THINK PETA IS EXTREME. I SAY IT IS AN EXTREME RESPONSE THAT IS REQUIRED FOR AN EXTREME PROBLEM. God is love. He made creatures. It’s a prideful and rebellious person who slaps Him in the face by disregarding His creatures this way. WEATHER COMMITED TO GOD OR NOT, PETA IS SURELY CARRYING OUT HIS WORK IN EXPOSING ANIMAL CRUELTY!! BLESSINGS TO YOU PETA!!! THERE IS NO ORGANIZATION LIKE YOU. THANK YOU.

• Alison says:

This is beyond horrifying. I have been haunted by this video since a watered down version of it was shown on our local morning news show. I found it intersting when I went to their website to look for an update on the story..guess what there was no mention of the story and nothing came up in the search engine. I am outraged at the idea this is being covered up. Of course the other issue is that we are paying these pieces of crap to represent our country overseas. They obviously have way too time on their hands. SHAME ON THEM AND KARMA IS COMING…hopefully just to them and not the rest of us as well.

• Charlotte says:

I couldn’t even bear to watch more than 10 seconds of this. I hope they get their comupents!!!

• kate says:

not all soliders are HEROEs. im ashamed to have these people represent AMERICA……..

• karen murphy says:

this is one of the most shocking things i have seen these people should be in jail not the army ,

• betty says:

I did not watch the video i could not all I had to do was read about it. Someone knows who did this and all it takes is one person to have a little bit of a heart! I hope they don’t have any kids or pets of there own. God help these so called soldiers and you are suppose to be protecting our country. God help us all

• Misty says:

That poor poor sheep! What did this poor creature ever do to anyone to deserve this?!? These are our “heroes”? I am deeply ashamed that these men represent our country!!

• kathy says:

this totally disgusts me. and, I sure hope the poor thing died before they drug it off to wherever they were dragging it and not left suffering, but, with inhumane behavior like this who knows. God help the poor animals you created who get treated like this. PETA, keep putting pressure on those in charge and demand answers and please share them with the public, I for one would like an answer from the Army with assurances that those responsible are being duly and rightly charged for animal cruelty.

• Isabelle Bastien says:

American army = civilians dressed in uniform doing honorable things! This is horrific and if noticed there are children in this video chearing their dads, uncles and or brothers….sick and soooo sad to my stomach…U will one day answer to a hiher power!!

• Katerina says:

Punishment to the group that was laughing for the brutal beatings of the innocent animal, punishment to the bully that murdered the gentle sheep, punishment also to the local kid that brought this life to its very barbarian ending.

• I and L Crowe says:

What goes around comes around you will recieve 10 fold back in what you did to this helpless and defenseless animal, I hope you are all proud of yourselves is this to prove you are strong men you showed you are small and the complete opposite. You will pay someday for you cruelty inflicted on this earth and with GOD. You will be accountable to both. Thanks Peta for revealing such sick people and making a difference.

• Amy Luedke says:

This is who is protecting our countr? How did this get put on the web without knowing who did this. Maybe I say screw my freedom I don’t need people like this representing my country. Nothing will happen to them because the government protects peices of crap like this. Maybe celebrating Veterans Day, Memorial Day will just become a big whoopy do dah who cares day because Vets like this don’t deserve to be recognized for their so called good deeds. This don’t look like a good deed to me.

• Teresa Sedillo says:

I don’t understand how anyone can have the heart to do this to a poor defenseless animal and the ones standing around laughing about it. I hope that they find who did this. These poeple think that they get away with this now, but they still are going to have to stand before God someday soon and answer.

• Laurie Strippoli says:

I tried to “share” this video on my facebook to enlighten people and try to help but mysteriously the video is “no longer available” to view. Wonder why????????????

• elizabeth roman says:

GASPING WITH EXTREME DISGUST… AS I CLOSELY WATCHED THE ANIMAL BEING DRAGGED INTO THE ROOM YOU WILL NOTICE AS SOON AS IT WAS LET GO, IT WENT DOWN ON THE FLOOR. THIS TELLS ME SOMETHING PRECEDED THE INCIDENT …. WATCHING THIS TELLS ME THAT THIS ANIMAL WAS NOT ONLY TORTURED, BUT POSSIBLY RAPED PRIOR TO THE BEATING…. WHY ELSE WOULD THAT ANIMAL BE THERE…. WAS THERE A PAYMENT TO PRODUCE A ‘VICTIM’… DO ANIMALS HAVE RIGHTS? WE ARE ALL ANIMALS. JUST CHECK THE PRISON POPULATION.

• DENISE J POLICH says:

I am truely ashamed of that soldier and ashamed to be an American at this moment.  That was cruel, unfair and uncalled for.  An innocent animal brought in to be unexpectedly punished for no reason.  Rest in peace little lamb…..Ps 1:1-3 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper

• charlotte says:

if these guys are heros then their heros of the devil himself

• SBJ says:

who ever has done this to the sheep will pay the price for causing the death of this animal.Don’t worry if humans can’t stop this God will.don’t worry you military people who have been laughind and find that was funny….you all are going to pay too….

• Debbie says:

This is unexcuseable! For what reason????To torture and murder a helpless,innocent animal! Who else have they murdered for no reason.They all should be immediately dismissed.Would you want to have to depend on these cowards to have your back or defend our country???They should be in jail!

• Lindsay says:

I can’t stop thinking about this video today. I keep having flashbacks of this poor lamb and the soldiers laughing in the background. Is there anything else we can do to try and get the Army to take action against those involved in this video. I feel so helpless :(

• sarah says:

shame on them….shame on teh asshole that did that…he ll pay back later on in life..that is my biggest wish to inhumane behavior like that…..he should be withdraw from its functions….what a dump example of soldire in this country

• Jo Anne says:

WTF this gives me chills.

• Shweta Gurajr says:

Merciless… and they are to save the country! Shameful and disgusting

• chander kumar soni says:

shameful.

• Laura Bianchi says:

PETA, Thank you for addressing, yet another horrific animal cruelty. Beating sheep with a baseball bat. These individuals are highly distrubed, no doubt in my mind. The problem is there are very few laws in the US Government protecting animals. Period. We truly need more Animal Protection Attorney’s who are willing to challenge the lack of laws protecting Animal Rights. Thank you, Laura Bianchi Cape Cod, MA