Victory! Gap Inc. Drops Angora Wool

Written by Paula Moore | May 21, 2014

Update: After a PETA representative attended the annual meeting of Gap Inc.—which owns Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Athleta—Gap Inc.’s CEO agreed never to sell angora wool again and to pull all the cruelly produced items from the company’s websites. The retail giant joins dozens of other companies—including Eddie Bauer, Forever 21, Limited Brands, Mango, H&M, Lands’ End, Calvin Klein, QVC, Tommy Hilfiger, and Express, Inc.—in banning angora.

Originally posted on January 8, 2014:

Retail giants Forever 21 and Eddie Bauer are the latest companies to confirm that they are permanently banning products made with angora wool. The move comes after PETA released undercover video footage showing how workers on angora farms violently rip the fur out of rabbits’ sensitive bodies. U.K.-based New Look also announced that it has banned angora.

Angora Rabbit on grass© iStock.com/maten

A PETA Asia undercover investigator visited almost a dozen angora rabbit farms in China, the source of 90 percent of the world’s angora fur, and found rabbits screaming and writhing in pain as workers ripped the fur out of their skin. Rabbits endure this terrifying ordeal every three months for two to five years before being killed. After they have been plucked bald, the rabbits lie motionless inside their tiny, filthy cages, stunned and in shock. There are no penalties in China for animal abuse on rabbit farms and no standards that regulate the treatment of animals.

So far, more than a dozen kind companies have completely banned angora, including Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, IZOD, H&M, Limited Brands, Marks & Spencer, and more.

What You Can Do

You can help animals by banning angora wool (and other cruelly produced fashions) from your closet. For help putting together a fabulous, animal-friendly wardrobe, check out PETA’s How to Wear Vegan shopping site.

Comments

• poonam says:

LEAVE ANIMALS ALONE. WHY DO HUMANS NEED TO WEAR THEIR SKINS OR FURS. THERE ARE AMPLE FAUX FURS /LEATHERS THAT ARE EQUALLY OR BETTER IN KEEPING YOU WARM .LEAVE ANIMALS ALONE. WHY BRING IN MORE BAD KARMA ON YOURSELVES BY TORTURING INNOCENT ANIMALS.

• Mariette Robin says:

Thank you for what I have learned.

• Erika says:

Thank you.

• Christie says:

I complained to Daiso Australia via their facebook page when I found Angora socks in their store and they responded promptly with this. YAY!

Hi Christie,

We have received an official response from management at Daiso Australia.

We understand your concern and we take the ethical treatment of animals very seriously. We will ask our head office in Japan to investigate this issue further, and we will also put a temporary halt on ordering Angora products for our stores.

We thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, and we will keep you updated on further developments.

Kind regards,
    Daiso Australia

• Sharlene says:

What can we do to help the rabbits? We can stop wearing angora material how to we shut down the plants

• Kelly says:

Go after the celebrities that still wear fur and shame them in public like J-Lo It is a shame what animals have to endure from humans. Who took the word humane out of human. China and other Asian countries need to have all products banned from the US until they start treating animals with compassion.

• Sasha Musgrave Travers says:

that is terrible, poor animals, everyone should ban angora wool, these rabbits should all be freed.

• I am already a vegetarian for 27 years now and I am horrified at the tortures the animals endure for man’s greed. Now it is the time to stop the cruelty which they endure from mankind. I recently saw at a great supermarket fish crammed into a tank of water to be slaughtered on the spot. This cruelty breaks my heart. We have to start with changing us from within. As Mother Theresa said:”We can do no great things, only small thinks with Great Love”.

• Karina says:

I’m so Happy to hear that!…. Please let’s keep spreading the word for Innocent animals

• Robert J Hoffman says:

Very hard to hear about and watch this kind of thing going on in the world.It takes time but we are making a difference,So hang in there my hard working PETA friends.Love you all.

• sosbaiji says:

wonderful news…. one step closer to ending animal cruelty….

• Christine Nicole Jennifer Allan says:

this is why selling fur products is illegal where I come from. we’ve already prosecuted people for falsely claiming the fur they were say was fake. You can spend up to four years in prison minimum for prohibition for it

• MARTHA LIBIA says:

ESTA CRUELDAD DEBE TERMINAR Y. ESTO ES INHUMANO, COMO PUEDEN CAUSAR TANTO DOLOR A UNA INDEFENSA CRIATURA, SOLO POR PONERSE SU PIEL? ¡INSENSIBLES!

• Vicki says:

Angora is a very special hair but it is never right to take it in any cruel manner!! We simply do not need such items to wear! Clipping hair is one thing but this is just horrid. Get real china and start treating animals with respect!!! No thing deserves this treatment! Makes me sick inside and very ashamed of a nation or any nation that allows such insane actions toward living creatures. Shame!!!

• kimiko yamamoto says:

Good news, thank you Gap and thank you PETA!!!!

• Anita VanGelder says:

Thank you to all the companies which have banned the use of Angora fur And good for all of us who are in this program to stop the cruelty to animals The more people involved in discovering cruelty and spreading the news the quicker we can stop the mistreatment of innocent animals of all kind.

• Lizzie Davila says:

Yay! This is great news.

• Claudia Geiszler says:

Thank you gap. Now Guess is next

• Lana Thomas says:

I hope you are working on Ralph Lauren to make sure they don’t sell angora wool. I have sent two e-mails asking if they do sell it and no one has responded

• Richard H. Hutchinson says:

The epitome of barbarism. I’ll never understand how some of our fellow humans can be so insensitive and cruel.

• Poor Rabbits. If I could do something about this and I was the only one that could stop it, I don’t know what I would do. I would build a Group up and call it “Angora wool Haters”. and I’ll hope about 1,000 People join it, if it does happen, we will start was with the ones who agree with Angora Wool.

I Like all Kinds of animals, and they love us. but they don’t like it when we hurt them. Please. leave them alone. I know we need to survive with meat and all that, but try to be less harsh. PLEASE! If you continue to agree with Angora, then I Bet God, and the other people who agree with me will be ashamed of you people who like Angora.

If You Angora Haters are with me, then Share this around Facebook! Share it around Twitter! Share it on Google! SHARE IT EVERYWHERE!

and please…do all you can to Keep these Animals Safe. we can start over and be friends…We can do what God Always wanted us to do. We can do This! Come on! lets Share it Now! Lets Go! :)

• Colleen Palmer says:

How dreadful for the animals,pulling one of your own hairs hurts cant imagine the agony of the rabbits have handfuls of fur tugged off,barbaric.

• Michelle says:

Thank you Gap.

• Judy Sutton says:

I’m so glad that companies are “seeing the light” and refusing to do business with those who are cruel to animals.

• Russi Taylor says:

I don’t know anyone that wears fur and wouldn’t hang out with anyone that does. I’m so happy that these retail stores have compassion for these innocent animals. I will not shop at a store that sales real fur. I don’t understand how people can be so cruel.

• Denise Pia says:

Way to go Gap. Keep spreading the word!!!!

• susan lister says:

An eye opener for everybody and let’s hope we can stop this barbarity!!

• Birgit Kowalew says:

Thank you PETA for discovering this cruelty!!!

• michele says:

Just for your information. Topshop is still selling angora. As i found out when i purchased one of their jumpers. I presumed there were no angora products on their racks. I posted a complaint on their facebook page and got a 4 line excuse. I contacted their customer service but got no reply. I feel conned that this product was next to my skin. I am a committec animal activist and i actually gave them money. I am so upset. Not even an apology or an offer for a refund.

• Sandy Porter says:

Has anyone contacted craft/knitting shops? Or the companies that actually make wool and angora yarn; make or sell?

• Michele Boman says:

Every animal lover needs to take a step up and and help support PETA and all the other organization that are fighting to stop animal cruelty in the world! They can’t do it alone without everyone speaking out and stopping the atrocities if no one helps them speak out. Please don’t just delete your emails! Let your government know what you think of all the unfairness to these beautiful animals. Look at your own pets. What would you do if someone hurt them?

• Nancy knott says:

Anthropology needs to also ban this

• patricia ohldag says:

Good going Peta we are winninhg. God Bless Bunnies we will save you all

• Deborah says:

I had been posting the video you have of angora harvesting on the Joe Fresh facebook page every week for several months. They recently informed me that they would no longer be sourcing angora starting in 2014. If you could verify this, it would be nice to see them on your list of humane companies. I realize they are a Canadian company, but they do have a store in Manhattan, and have recently moved into the J.C. Penny stores in the States. I have worked for them for several years, and I’m very pleased they will stop using angora. Now I’m working on them to stop using down.

• Alison Egleton says:

I noticed Marks and Spencer had ladies socks made with Angora, also a cardigan. The assistant told me they monitor their suppliers very closely but I said they should not be using any Angora. Has Marks and Spencer agreed to stop using Angora? If not, that’s another store to boycott.

• Lori says:

This us good news! But we have to spread the word!

• Julie Lafkas says:

I don’t wear wool or angora, I don’t believe that we need animal fur. If people want fur they can buy fake fur. Please stop the abuse.

• Laurence says:

Post on these companies Facebook pages not just here. Let your voices be heard. This is atrocious. I really don’t want to buy anything from China right now. I would never buy anything that had fur (fake or not). I will not let me nieces wear or buy this clothing either.

• Linda jillson says:

I detest support of any country, corporation, human being who has any connection to the abuse of animals or children! Unite against bully’s and brutality……

• Yuka Silvera says:

Recently, I was looking for a ski jacket/puffer/vest with fake fur trimming, saw Calypso was selling beautiful (!) rabbit shawl and BC BG Max Azria was selling leather vest with also rabbit fur trimming on. I asked the sales person to report the designer that I, a big fan of the brand couldn’t buy the vest because they used animal fur & skin. I also saw Moncler is selling Raccoon and Fox fur trimmed Coats. I’m sure PeTA is aware of them but just in case.. PEACE on EARTH

• Lisa says:

Bravo Yuka, what would really make retailers heads spin if you STOP buying anything from them, not just the vest etc….Be the change you wish to see in this World! Lee

• Wendy says:

STOP the slaughter of the Angora rabbit, stop this cruelty. DO NOT pull their fur out. How would you as a human like to have your skin ripped out alive.

• Ashie says:

Angora wool and other type of wool sourced from animals should be banned – its very painful for animals and very cruel!! Needless to say it is against their wish!

• Mackenzie says:

Guys, Angoras are not plucked bald and left to die. They are not skinned either. They are simply groomed. They shed a lot, and grooming removes the loose hair that can cause fatal wood block and hair balls. To me you just all seem like a large group of uneducated, cruel people yourselves. The way PETA describes these things makes it sound like every Angora raiser is cruel and evil. Get your facts straight.

• Please watch the video on this page: http://peta.vg/1cwm “Ninety percent of angora fur comes from China, where there are no penalties for abuse of animals on farms and no standards to regulate the treatment of the animals. When you buy a sweater, hat, or other product that contains angora, the angora fur most likely originated in China, even if the finished product was assembled elsewhere.”

• jill s says:

Get the facts straight? I believe it may be you that is not entirely enlightened. If you are an Angora raiser, you should actually be the MOST concerned that it is not being done correctly. Simply to condone what you are doing by looking the other way at atrocities is no excuse. This is your livelihood? I would think you should police your own industry and want it to be upstanding and correct. I am a rabbit rescuer. Spend some time with a rabbit rescue, I believe your mind and opinion will change shortly thereafter. You are grooming an animal, they are a business, and a horrific way to make a living. Have you watched the video? and are OK with it? Allow me – get YOUR facts straight.

• frau says:

i am a bunnie rescue person. the article isn’t describing a cute family farm where the rabbits’fur is collected or combed out. china has no regulations on treatment of animals and it’s an overcrowded country with harsh fast-paced business practise. we need to not buy products from there.

• Sofi says:

Please hear screams of little helpless creatures.

• Glynis Precious says:

I went to purchase a jumper from Top Shop recently, upon checking the label I found it was made in China and contained Angora! When I advised the shop assistant that I no longer wanted it because it was made from angora, she replied ‘what’s the problem, it’s a beautiful jumper’ I replied ‘yes it is when it was on the rabbit’ come along Top Shop join the trend and BAN THE USE OF ANGORA!!!!!!!

• Martarini says:

Well done! Everyone should act like you upon fashion contains angora :)

• michele glascott says:

I recently had the same problem, i thought topshop had banned it but seems they are not buying anymore but still stocking it on their racks, i have complained so many times about this and are being completed ignored, I didn’t know it was angora till i got it home and washed it as i presumed topshop had stopped selling it. was told the arcadia are stopping sourcing it!!! cant even get a refund and I am so upset this was next to my skin being a vegan and animal rights supporter, i am disgusted

• breure says:

c’est dégueulasse,honteux et criminel.

• Vincent Breslin says:

AWESOME!!!!

• Rosalyn Marie says:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I am a Vegan and proud of it baby!!!

• Linda Fifi says:

When I first heard about the horrific treatment of the angora bunnies I was shocked to the point of tears & frustrated that I couldn’t step in & act immediately on behalf of those poor defenseless animals. So, I’ve been praying… every night, & watching for Peta’s updates. Thank God for Peta & other similar organizations who work so diligently to save the animals & change the laws in their best interest. I have a Dutch mix bunny that I got from our local SPCA & I love her very much. All animals are precious & should be protected & cared for before we live to regret it. I can’t accept that people can be so cruel & inhumane… just for money. How low can you get!

• Lynn says:

GAP..Old Navy, Banana Republic… You. Are. Dead. To. Me. Period..