Madonna Vs. Mariah

Written by PETA | May 1, 2008

In case you missed it, there’s a Battle of the Divas going on in the media right now. Mothra Madonna is evidently trying to throw down with Mariah Carey to see who’s the most popular. Which means that it’s time to either take sides or get out of the way … and I want to take this opportunity to officially throw the weight of the world’s largest animal rights organization (that’s us) behind our girl Mariah, with whom—to use the immortal words of Ol’ Dirty Bastard (RIP)—we go back like babies and pacifiers. Here’s my argument for why Mariah blows Madonna out of the water in this competition:

1. When a Russian tycoon gave Mariah Carey a pair of outrageously expensive fur coats in a misguided attempt to show her what a big fan he was, she immediately donated the coats to PETA for us to give to the homeless. Roughly around the same time, Madonna was photographed trouncing around London in about $70,000 worth of dead chinchillas.
  2. A whole lot more people are buying Mariah’s new album than are buying Madonna’s. Which kind of settles it, just in case my first point didn’t do the trick for you.

So there you have it. The forces of good prevail, while the groovy soundtrack of “Touch My Body” plays in the background. If you know of any other Diva competitions that need a’refereeing, just let me know. I’m always happy to help out.

Madonna_in_Furs.jpg Me_and_Mariah.jpg

Image credits: DailyMail, the-planets / CC

Comments

• MICHELE FIORE says:

WELL THANK YOU MARIAH!!!! I HAVE YOUR MUSIC AND ALWAYS LOVED YA BUT NOW SUPPORTING NO FUR YOUR ONE OF A FEW CARING HUMANES I KNOW. YOUR A REAL…”HERO”.

• astrid says:

i have always loved mariah.. and after reading what she did.. i love her even more!!! its amazing mariah is so compassionate. she is so beautiful and so talented and supportive of peta so I LOVE HER FOR THIS!!

• anon says:

Madonna at least has class. Mariah although she seems nice enough dresses like her trashy Long Island roots would dictate. I’d side with Madonna and her fur wearing style any day!

• Patty says:

I never liked Madonna for so many reasons. This is just one more for the list.

• anne says:

Mariah by far better singer better looking etc.

• Darla says:

Way to go Mariah! Madonna why is she still relevant! She can’t sing. Stop buying her music!!

• anne says:

love Mariah she is beautiful and can sing far better then Madonna!!!! That is why her cd is topping the charts.

• Margarita says:

MARIAH IS SO TALENTED MADONNA HAS ZERO TALENT NOTHING BUT A TIRED EXHIBITIONIST. UGH.

• Margarita says:

I LOVE MARIAH. LET MADONNA GO AWAY ALREADY. ENOUGH OF THIS CHICK IN HER FUR. SHE IS A WITCH THAT NEEDS TO FLY AWAY ON HER BROOM PERMANENTLY.

• MeL says:

I used to LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Madonna till I discovered she’s a fur hag! It was a cold day that day… Go Mariah!!

• Margie says:

i dont really like mariah or listen to her music but what she did is really awesome! i give her big props!

• Katharine Acord says:

wow I hope Madonna hear this comments !! Usually celebrities are truthfully animals lovers. Some are so greaful to help out animals in needs.

• JOYZ says:

Mariah is the best singer out right now her octaves are amazing madona is just an old woman trying to stay young and now shes an evil old withc for wearing a former living being i mean come on who still wears fur??? almost all famous people have joined the movement yet her old behind didnt get the message FUR IS MEAN.

• Curtis says:

Don’t care for Mariah but I’m glad she’s furfree!

• Shameema says:

I really loved Madonna but after being aware of the fur cruel industry I cannot bear seeing my idol wearing fur. Hats off to Mariah for her kind heart.

• Maureen says:

I don’t understand what Madonna is thinking. I never listened to any of them anyway but the answer is clear on who I support.

• gary says:

There both over the hill. If madonna wants to were fur she should have every right to do so. This is a free country right? so why can’t we wear do or say whatever we want. I thought peta did not like people wearing fur coats? you gave them to homeless people. Why not just sell the coats and give the money to homeless people.

• Tamara says:

One question how can Madonna be such good friends with Stella McCartney?? I thought they were friends? I know Madonna wears some of her clothes…Stella needs to really know Madonna over the head and set her straight…

• Tamara says:

I agree I was no fan of Mariah and honestly don’t care for her music but I am a fan now since finding out about her kindness to animals. You know I have always wanted to like Madonna. I was an ’80’s girl grew up well ok I was only a couple years younger than Madonna but I just never could like her. It’s taken me all these years to finally put my finger on why I never liked her. some of her music was ok but just never could like her. Now I know why. She’s just kind of a hag isn’t she..heh…Just my opinion of course

• padma says:

I love Madonna and Mariah Carey. I bought both of their new albums. I will say that Madonna as talented and ingenious as she is still remains a hypocrite. She stays in a dead end marriage for the sake of not being a failure again at marriage. She tries and tries again to be an actress which is something she will never be. I’m still shocked she won a Golden Globe for Evita. I own it on DVD and still can’t make it thru the first 20 minutes of the movie. I’ll take Glitter any day of the week. Madonna is starting to look like a skeleton on steroids too.

• Bruinboy_4life says:

I think that they are both good artist madonna is past her prime. Mariah is crazy but hot in Touch My Body. Who cares if madonna wears animal skins? SHe just likes to look nice I would love to an Italian leather jacket. U people need to look a evolution and see that it is in our nature to eat animals and use them for warmth. We are animals our selves. Animals kill other animals its what we do! Look at the facts if a cat kills a mouse are you guys going to accuse that cat of murder and send him to jail?

• Aja says:

I’m not for either because of your two arguments Jack. Music is a form of expression. I listen to everyone and am open to every artist that should move me based on their lyrics their beats they’re artistry etc. Besides we should not be concerned about how much either entertainer doesn’t consumewear animals. If it’s such a big deal then we need to take a look at some bigger pictures within the big picture i.e. Gaia. For two examples 1HABITAT DESTRUCTION how do the lifestyles of such icons affect habitat destruction in order to make way for oh let’s say real estate or agriculture etc. and 2you shouldn’t bash either artist. Both artists either directly or indirectly harm animals. Many people dodare I say WE ALL DO. What is PETA’s carbon foot print? I heart PETA and I look to PETA for advice and inspiration in trying to lead a vegan life. However I think PETA can do better for themselves to bring back civility and grace to a lot of campaigns and lead by example even more so. So to all the “peace and harmony to all animals” proponents of Mariah and “vegetarians are just lousy hunters” proponents of Madonna …be nice

• Jeannette Nieves says:

Madonna Is Very Materialialic person!!As we see!..No Heartshe does n’t care about the our animals..and the pain they go through.. she so Plastic! Love Mariah for what see stand for.. and give back and Helpin our Beautiful animals..in every way possible..God bless her for givin back..She got a Big Heart!..

• silvia says:

Mariah has a bomb body plus a big heart for animalsand u maddona well ur just an old skank

• Robert Salm says:

My guess would be that Mariah gave the coats away because she knew she’d have to do “it” with the Russian mafia guy if she kept the coats and Mariah’s probably tired of having to sleep with music executives and rich guys for attention. At least Madonna has style.

• Catherine says:

The older Madonna gets the more selfish she becomes. With her phony British accent her handmade German car and her arrogant selfdelusional belief that she’s 18 years old she makes a fool of herself. Now she’s a fur hag too? Ugh. She’s headed for a big fall someday when that husband of hers gets sick of her narcissism. Mariah is beautiful inside and out. Oh and by the way Madonna she can sing.

• Rory says:

I LOVE Mariah she’s the real deal. She has everything Madonna does not including talent. Madonna is phony ugly nasty can’t sing and I really wish she would just drop off the face of the Earth.

• angela says:

being a diva isnt all about wearing fur itz about looking ur best but in normal clothes.ps.i never liked madonnas songz

• Rusty says:

The only thing worse than ‘madonna’s’ fur coats is her wrinkly leather face. …plus she really should try keep her trousers on in videos just once.

• Tamra says:

I am not a fan of eitherbut I respect Mariah for being so compassionate. You go girl! As for MaDonna I figured out she was pretty much heartless the first time I saw her in a fur coat! You suck girl!

• Kiki says:

I like both but it sucks that madonna has to wear fur..n still be trashy at 50! go mariah!

• Avatar says:

There is no question here who is the beauty and who the beast! Once more my alltime favorite Mariah Carey is the big winner in the race! She is a top class DIVA with a beautiful heart a real insideout beauty! Mariah Carey for ever!!!!

• karla says:

i never liked mariah but after this my opinion of her has changed. im glad she has a heart hopefully madonna will gain one too not wear anything that was alive! yuck!!

• Maureen says:

Madonna and her wannabe country squire husband shoot pheasants at their country manor. So wearing dead bodies obviously is no big deal for her.

• Karen says:

Madonna is such a hagI can not stand her. Lovely Mariah is way out of that fur hag’s league.

• Esther says:

We must not forget Madonna is the elder lady. A new generation has arisen…

• lynda downie says:

You got me with the first one Jack. It’s Mariah hands down!

• Jake says:

Haha! I love this. I have always LOVED Mariah and loathed Madonna and this is just one more reason to continue doing so. Mariah makes beautiful music AND loves animals. Madonna makes…well I don’t know what you call it annoying noise AND hates animals. Mariah is the Queen of Pop and Compassion.

• kaycee C says:

there was never any competition anyways Mariah is the best singer in the world and her talent is incomparable to anybody. I’m a big Mariah Fan!!!

• Annalena says:

I really dislike Madonna. She preaches about compassion and charity but her lifestlye is anything but. She will do anything to get a rise out of people. Justin Timberlakes skin melting off in her new video? She tries to sound intellectual but comes off very pretentious.Not to mention I loathe her music.Strict Jewish morality yeah right. Poor Chinchilla’s they are such sweethearts…Madonna the fur hag!

• Dan Conrad says:

Madonna is such a hypocrite. I was inspired years ago by a tee shirt she wore in her documentary “Truth or Dare”. It said “Furs are worn by beautiful animals”. Maybe the back said “…and heartless celebrities”.

• Aus Veg says:

I bought Mariahs the first day it was released on iTunes! I admire Madonna musically speaking but wearing fur is ergh!!

• Pamela Oates says:

i’ve always been a fan of both. after reading this not anymore…mariah wins!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mariah has an amazing 5octave range and she is so hot I gotta go put icecubes on my eyelids. Madonna has written some good tunes but she’s weirded out a bit too much for me. I have a feeling Mariah will still be hot when she’s 55. Thank you Mariah for brightening my day.

• John Carmody says:

Ireland loves mariah carey because she is fur free well done mariah from your friends at Animal Rights Action Network based in Ireland

• Bill says:

Madonna still records music?

• Judith, Freedom Fighter for Animals says:

MARIAH’S my choice of course. When is the wicked witch Madonna going to fly to the moon on her broom? Just asking! Peace for all animals!

• kelly says:

Mariah you are a classy lady with a big heart Madonna you know what you are. No matter how many fake accents you try on.

• marionette says:

I never really listen to Mariah song but is great what she did….

• Jaclyn says:

It’s settled then Mariah!