Lunches to Get Schooled by Congress?

Written by PETA | March 19, 2010

lunch trays

“I have been in many lunchrooms during lunch period and can attest to the food that is frequently lacking from a nutritional perspective and very high in saturated fats. … What our bill will do is provide some lower-fat and lower-cholesterol ways for kids to get the nutrition that they need to be healthy.” —U.S. Rep. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) on the Healthy School Meals Act, which would start a $4 million pilot program to incorporate vegetarian food and drinks into school districts’ lunch programs over a two-year period.

We’ll cheer for that! Considering that vegetarian diets have been proven to curb childhood obesity, which remains a crisis in the U.S., Polis’s proposed legislation would save kids and animals.

Many schools across the nation have already successfully adopted humane menus. Encourage your local schools to do the same.

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• Natalie Habdas says:

My sons school has this program! Hooray for healthy lunches

• Jenn says:

Its seriously sad that schools can just even cook some pasta with veggies not only fried chicken and french fries. I’m lucky my school has really yummy vegetarian food.

• Anthony Coppola says:

Interesting. I grew up in the 80s and we had very few obese kids in my school. Of course we didnt have home computers home game systems and cell phones either. I think instead of focusing so much on WHAT you are eating focus on getting your chubby butts outside and doing some activity. THAT is the reason there are so many obese children. Get outside and ride a bike. I was 5 and a half feet tall and 120 lbs when I went into the Army. And never once ate a vegan diet. After 8 weeks of Basic training and eating an omniverous diet in moderation I gained 28 pounds of solid muscle. Im afraid I cannot agree with the VeganHealthier view. diet + EXCERCISE is what makes for a healthier population. NOT eating soy laden products that leach vitamins and minerals from you body.

• Keren says:

Many schools in Britain order halal only meals as a cost cutting measure in bulk orders due to the culturally diverse nature of the pupils rather than only for the muslim pupils only. This means many animals are unnumanely slaughtered without stunning for absoloutley no reason.

• Ellie says:

yes! We need this! my school may have vegetarian options but there is NOTHING vegan other than the crappy salad bar so there is nothing i can eat at school… So glad to read about this!

• Marianne G says:

You are lucky Caroline. The only vegetarian option I had in Middle School was a salad bar once a week.

• Caroline Kropka says:

My school is one of the lucky ones. We have veganvegetarian alternatives.

• Molly says:

That would make so many kids life’s better ! Including mine.

• moo.lennon. says:

cheyenne kai were do u live?cause i wanna live there too!and i agree w melissa!but wait a minute…im still in good shock…our schools may become vegeterianvegan?im i dreaming?!!

• Isabel says:

I absolutely love my school but it always bothered me that we ate surplus leftovers from major food companies that they also use to feed prison inmates. What’s even worse is althought that kind of food only raises bad behavior and decrease academic performance they still serve it! You couldn’t imagine how happy I was the day they installed a natural snack vending machine machine in one of the lunchrooms! Thanks for telling us change is on its way PETA 3

• Ralph says:

Our state allows kids to create their own meals and choose vegetable options there are usually two vegetables a starch and then juice as well as milk.

• shai says:

i have to bring mmy own food to school because most of the time they dont even offer a vegetarian line of lunch. Mostly it looks like dog food that i wouldnt even feed to my dog. Im all for it!

• Melissa Devlin says:

Why has this taken so long??

• cheyenne kai says:

my school is one of the fortunate ones where we have alternatives to any meat or animal products becuase there are so many vegetarianvegans in my area

• Alora Rovatti says:

this is a great idea!

• lilith says:

our school doesn’t even offer vegan alternatives and the food is all overpriced. It’s disgusting.

• MA Moore says: