A Landmark Day for Animals From Coast to Coast!

Written by PETA | November 5, 2008
Gestation-Crate_small.jpg
PETA took these pig displays to grocery stores around California to get the word out about Prop 2

We are so pleased to report that—thanks to your hard work—two important ballot initiatives passed yesterday, making history for animals. California voters approved Proposition 2 by a large majority, which will ban some of the worst cruelty to animals who are raised for food in that state: keeping egg-laying chickens in battery cages so small that they can’t spread their wings, keeping veal calves in crates for their entire miserable short lives, and keeping pregnant pigs in crates that are so small that they can’t take a step forward or backward or turn around. Animals on farms in California will be given these basic necessities by 2015, but we will continue to spread the message that the best thing that people can do to help animals is stop eating them altogether.

On the other side of the country, Question 3 passed, which will ban greyhound racing in the state of Massachusetts by 2010. Dogs who are used for racing typically spend 20 hours per day confined to cages measuring only 32 in. by 42 in. by 34 in. Many of the dogs can’t even stand completely upright. The animals are also highly susceptible to injuries, including fractures, dislocations, lacerations, and amputations. And because they’re no longer of use to the industry after they are injured, injured dogs are often simply killed.

The impact of both of these important initiatives is tremendous for the millions of animals whose lives will be affected by them. Our heartfelt thanks go out to each and every one of you who worked toward their passage. We really are making a difference.

Written by Joel Bartlett

Comments

• Robert Scott says:

This was on the Prop 2 site today and what a Great day it is!! We have assembled a coalition like no other animal protection campaign has ever assembled. And we have momentum respect and unity like never before. Lets not stop now. Lets build on this victory. Take the day off to celebrate. But then lets resume our just and right struggle. Together. For the animals sake. And for our own.

• vicki says:

California still has a long way to go. In Tehama County ranchers proudly line the fence posts of thier ranches with the carcuses of coyotes they have killed.

• Kelly says:

it’s about time!!! now we need to spread this to the rest of North America.

• Diane says:

I am soooo happy these propositions passed!! I can’t say how worried I was. If people are going to eat meat at least the animals would have a slightly better life on these factory farms. If it did not pass I would have to assume there is little humanity left. I am so happy about this. I am not from that state but I am hoping that this will spread to my state in MD. I worried about this all night on election night!!

• YSLGuy says:

I am so proud of my state Mass.!!!

• Courtney says:

IM SOOO HAPPY about this.. although the california one isn’t as good as the dog racing accomplishment. I don’t think animals should have to endure any of this factory farm crap. But its a start.. so I’m really happy.

• Natil says:

im so happy about these new laws. but they should have been made long ago and should be in affect now. but thanks for the great work. im sure that the animals apprecieate it too.

• Jo-Anne Carlyle says:

This is great news. Lets hope it is the start of something good and it spreads around the world.

• MA Moore says:

Kait this brings up a good point for horse racing as well. Yes dogs horses all animals love to run and exercise but pushing them to break legs and treating them as mere pawns in a game is unacceptable. Perhaps we should take a closer look at the pros cons of all animals that race. Over breeding and overpopulation is rampant in all species including peoplethese days. At least awareness is being raised. I was totally unaware of dog racing until this Proposition was passed. Kudos to Massachusetts!!!!!

• Riley says:

I was so worried that it wouldn’t pass. I am so happy it did. I wish it started sooner than 2015 though.

• Joanne Cruz says:

GOD BLESS all the people who came together to give all animals a voice for the cruelty inhumane treatment they go through. If it wasn’t for Peta and all of the supporters they would be damned. Thank you everyone from my heart to yours for never giving up on them. They are furry cute sweet smart and loyal they should remain this way.

• Kait says:

As both PETA enthusiast and a former Massachusetts dog track employee I can assure you that the passing of this bill is probably going to do more bad than good. First off it is completely untrue that the dogs spend that amount of time in a kennel and the kennels they are kept in while waiting to race are large enough for them to stand sit and pace in circles. If you are seen being even slightly rough with the dogs you are fired on the spot. Lastly I’ve never seen any of the dogs cross the finish line with their tail between their legs…they are always wagging their tails they LOVE to run. I hope everyone is prepared to adopt a greyhound because I’m sure many will be euthanized or simply sent to tracks in Rhode Island and New Hampshire to run. While I agree that animals are not meant for entertainment I think this was gone about all wrong tracks need to be phased out so that there is proper time to slow down breeding and find some homes for these dogs.

• NT says:

The tides are turning…

• MA Moore says:

Today I am proud to be an American. Thank you PETA the HSUS for everything!!!! Now lets enforce this and make Organic Farming a standard practice on America’s farms for good.

• Shannon says:

this is awesome!!! having oprahs support behind it and ellens aswell i knew it would pass…im canadian but i still think this is a huge step…so is having a half black president CONGRATS USA

• Tim says:

My girlfriend and I were extremely pleased to cast our votes in CA on behalf of all the animals that are unable to voice their pain suffering and mistreatment.

• Sergio says:

One small step that will lead to increasingly larger ones. Congratulations to Farm Sn actuary Humane Society of the US and the Prop 2 campaign folks. Many many good things will come of this. The signal to US factory farms is clear institute compassionate husbandry now or be forced do it later.

• Ashley Gormley says:

Thank Goodness! I was urging all of my friends in California and Florida to vote their hearts out and now it seems that the majority of people in those states understand the deplorable state or American farms. First CA+FA next time the world!

• Eric says:

Let’s capitalize on the momentum of this hardfought victory and work even more diligently to improve the lives of all animals in the US and beyond.

• Jennifer says:

congrats to all those who voted yes on prop 2…i know i did and im so glad that they are listening to us and helping the poor suffering animals D

• ashley says:

I am definitely ecstatic about the achievements made yesterday that not too long ago seemed impossible. I was curious to see what my home state was doing about animal cruelty and was AMAZED that in August of this year the state of NJ is banning the typical practices of factory farming on the grounds that these practices are INHUMANE! One of the biggest things that bothered them was the debeaking of birds without pain killers first. I will never eat an animal for the rest of my life but at least compassion is being found where it was not once found before!

• Amber says:

Last night’s Historic election was definitely worth celebrating. It literally brought me to tears it was so emotionally uplifting. And once they announced that Prop 2 had passed I literally started dancing in front of all my roommates…danicnglaughing and crying. It was great. Congrats to all of us this is a huge triumph for animals!! We did it!

• Emma says:

This is great news but I still want to see better changes. I want to see these bills passed over in third world countries and the Asian counties where cruelty to animals is beyond what we see here in North America. Congrats to everyone’s hard work but don’t fall short of what we want to really accomplish!

• Mary says:

I am so proud and happy and thrilled that in California and Mass. we have spoken for the animals that can’t speak for themselves!! We are moving in the right direction let’s keep up the great work and continue to speak for these living breathing animals as is our responsibility!

• Suzy says:

I am very very happy to hear this. TWO VICTORIES!!!!!!!!!! KEEP HELPING ANIMALS THEY ALL HAVE FEELINGS TOO. Great Job.

• erika says:

It is ABOUT time! our loved ones are finally getting the rights they deserve! Rejoice today!

• Eliza says:

OH MYLANTA! I couldnt be happier today! This is such a great thing..I feel that we are getting closer and closer to ending the suffering of defenseless animals all together! Lets keep up the fight. GO VEG!

• kristen says:

im thinking its about time az steps up but im not sure how to push it

• Fiona says:

One small step for man one giant leap for mankind. This is amazing news but why does it take 7 years to take effect? Will those animals between now and then still suffer in the same way?

• Steve says:

Thank you to all of the PETA donors and volunteers in California that helped PROP 2 win! From the hours spent phonebanking in the PETA Oakland office to passing along the email alerts to your friends. Every bit helped. You did it!!!

• Patricia Cheyne says:

Although I do not live in CA I passed the PETA news prior to the elections on to all of my friends who do live there they assured me they voted “the right way”. Congrats on two major victories let’s keep our fingers crossed we only receive as good of news in other states re other animal cruelty issues often soon!

• Steven says:

I love it! Animals are living things. They deserve to be treated with respect. As an animal lover I’m thrilled with this news. All 50 states should do more to protect animals from cruelty.

• Jasmina says:

I hope this is just a beginning… This must be spread on the rest of the world. FREEDOM!!!!!

• Julie says:

As a Massachusetts resident I’m so glad that the dog racing ban passed this time around. Amazing news about Prop 2 as well! Thanks to PETA and all the other organizations that helped to make these victories happen!

• Astrid says:

Well done fellow Californian’s! So glad to see so many people wo really care about the welfare of animals!!!

• Carla says:

And these hell holes shouldn’t be allowed to relocate to another State either to avoid having to implement these changes!! Even at a small scale THIS IS a victory!! But please reconsider what’s on your plate and put animals raised for food where they should be… NONexistent!! A victory for dogs as well well in that State anyway!!

• Kristin says:

I live in California and voted YES on PROP 2 so I am thrilled with this great news!

• maria says:

I’m proud and happy my state passed this proposition but am sad it will take another six years to fully implement it. I’m hoping they will begin to make changes sooner than six years.

• claudia marrapodi says:

my felicitations from france! this is a great moment in history! and millions of kisses for PETA the Humane Society and all the other great animal rights organizations and people who made it possible!!!

• Katie says:

I am so hopeful today that these decisions will soon impact our entire country. I celebrate this victory for animals and pray for those animals who will continue to endure suffering while the rest of us catch up!

• Carly Lyn says:

In his victory speech Presidentelect Obama said he was getting his daughters a puppy for the White House. Let’s hope he decides to rescue a shelter pup!

• Pat says:

This makes my day. I’m not too happy about the constitutional bans on gaymarriage in Fla. and Arizona though. But this is great!

• Drew says:

Yeah! We’re finally get rid of greyhound racing in MA!

• Tom says:

This is some of the most amazing news I’ve heard all year. Two great victories! Cheers!

• Mark says:

Congratulations. Two great victories. It’s just too bad that Marylanders voted to prop up the horse racing industry. P.S. I think you mean “overwhelmingly” approved not “unanimously” approved.

• Kaycee says:

I am so proud to be living in California. It’s great that the my state is doing their jobs for the animals. We all need to help the animals in Pennyslvania dogs from puppy mills!!!!!

• lisa thompson says:

Today is a wonderful day for the animals in CA and MA. Lets keep moving forward and end all cruelty all over the world!!!

• sueparker says:

FANTASTIC news!! I hope it will be a sign of things to come.. ie.. animals need to be treated better and more humanely in factory farms and to phase out their particularly unacceptable and cruel practices.. I hope in time to come it will also occur in ALL the OTHER states .. but for time being.. GREAT news!

• Anne-Marie says:

A VICTORY FOR ALL ANIMALS!!!! im not from calif but I am soooooo happy. this has made my day.

• Sarah says:

This really is terrific news!