Lady Gaga’s Meat Dress

Written by PETA | September 13, 2010

Last night, Lady Gaga tried once again to shock the world, this time by wearing a “meat dress” during her acceptance of the Video of the Year award at MTV’s Video Music Awards. Lately, Lady Gaga has been having a hard time keeping her act “over the top.” Wearing a dress made out of cuts of dead cows is offensive enough to bring comment, but someone should whisper in her ear that there are more people who are upset by butchery than who are impressed by it—and that means a lot of young people will not be buying her records if she keeps this stuff up. On the other hand, maybe it was fake and she’ll talk about that later. If not, what’s next: the family cat made into a hat? Meat is the decomposing flesh of a tormented animal who didn’t want to die, and after a few hours under the TV lights, it would smell like the rotting flesh it is and likely be crawling in maggots—not too attractive, really. The stunt is bringing lots of people to PETA.org to download a copy of our vegetarian/vegan starter kit, so I guess we should be glad.

A wonderful side note to mention, Ellen DeGeneres (who is vegan herself), presented Gaga with a veggie bikini and suggested she try that next time she wants to make a statement. Thanks, Ellen!

Written by Ingrid E. Newkirk

Comments

• amathy says:

I am not vegan, but I found the dress offensive. the percentage of vegans among humans may be small, but there are definitely more people in the world who are starving or not eating enough. if there are enough fat americans, then ship the meat to feed poor countries.

• Michelle says:

Lady Gaga attempted to make a statement by wearing the decomposing flesh of an animal. Would anyone have gotten the message if she had not had to explain herself afterwards? No. Did this statement change people’s points of view? Probably not. Could she have made that same statement without harming an animal? She seems creative enough. The statement was ineffective, offensive, disgusting and only stated how ignorant she truly is. What she did right was effectively lose a lot of fans and respect. Who knows, maybe one day an extra-terestrial being will be wearing her flesh to make a statement, that would only be fair.

• Melissa says:

I agree that if she was wearing a PETA tag this article probably would have never been written. HOWEVER if she wanted to make a point regarding human rights she should have just gone nude.. “If we dont fight for our rights or what we believe in we will have no more rights than the meat we have on our bones.” Nude would have made much more sense, right? Or maybe she should have sacrificed one of her fans and hung their dead flesh and limbs on her dress. The controversy behind animal rights and human rights are not to be confused.

• Addie says:

It doesn’t matter what her origional message was, its that she hurt an animal and wore meat to attract attencion. I know her message was a positive message but that does not justify the cruelty she caused.

• Annie says:

She disgusts me. To “Meat Lover”: Please don’t say “I know all the pain [animals] go through.” You don’t. If you’d like, you can be decapitated and have your heart ripped out, your blood drip the floor, and then have someone eat you. Short of that, you know **** about what the animals go through. I’m sure you’d be “tasty”, too, but would I eat you? No. I have no right to. I have a conscience… you should look into getting one. Lady Gaga’s statement (“We need to stand up for our rights, because otherwise we have no more rights than the meat on our bones…blah blah blah”) is potentially the LAMEST excuse for unnecessary cruelty that I have ever seen in my entire life. Does Gaga even comprehend that she is wearing something that was once walking around, had a pumping heart, had thoughts, might have had children? No. Not a thought. And sure, she said she didn’t mean to be “offensive”. But guess what? Serial killers have said that they didn’t want to be offensive, either. I’m sure that was great comfort to their victims, and their families. Lady Gaga is a disgusting attention whore. GROW UP, Gaga. And for the fans- please don’t be pop culture sheep. Get minds of your own.

• factchecked says:

“there are more people who are upset by butchery than who are impressed by it” Really? Vegetarians represent less than 2% of the entire world’s population. It seems vastly more probable that people ARE impressed by butchery. Nice try though.

• S. Keptik says:

GET OVER YOURSELVES! My god, it’s meat, how can you people be Mad at that? Stopping animal abuse is one thing, critizing Someone for putting meat to thier own use (considering otherwise it just being devoured by fat Americans) is another.

• Daniel says:

I’m not a fan of Lady Gaga but I think her outfit has raised some really important issues for people, the hypocrisy of what we wear. Whilst Gaga as far as I know is not veggie, I really think its great that she has got people to think about the flesh of dead animals, and wearing it.

• Qwollylollypop says:

lady gaga is true gaga, she is not crazy just popping with ideas! i think you are too bored with the normal world so you make up your own. i am a vegaterian but i still like the idea. but i would NEVER do half the same things as she does. i have bad romance,poker face,monster,dance in the dark, just dance(thats a hit) paparazzi(that too is a hit) and boys boys boys. from Qwollylollypop age 11. p.s please lady gaga write back. : (

• Katie says:

I am not a vegetarian however I do think its sad that this animal had to die to dress an attention seeking low self esteem pop star. She wasted all of that food that so many people are starving for, but shes a rights activist?

• Tonya says:

Well said Tamra….”a display of death” and suffering. Cruel for no reason. Lady ga ga is one messed up person. It just shows the ignorance in her(?) dress.

• DavidC says:

Omg all of you guys need to get a grip iv been a veggy for 4 years but come guys I honestly think that everyone is overreacting to this situation, maybe if you guys looked in to the reason of why Lady Gaga wore the meat dress then you would see that it isn’t about shocking the world.

• Al says:

It’s no different then wearing leather. And people are going to eat no matter what.

• Faith says:

She Explained it wasnt to offend people! it was to show that if we dont fight for our rights or what we believe in We will have no more rights than the meat we have on our bones!

• SageEffinMartin says:

Wait, why is there the tag of maggot?

• Meat lover says:

I don’t think that meat should be used as a dress, that meat should be used to EAT. Yes, that’s right. EAT. And I eat vegetables too, so don’t crucify me. I’m a member of PETA too. But I eat animals. I know all the pain that they go through, but they’re tasty. Vegetables feel too. http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-83446,00.html

• Pat says:

If she had a PETA sticker on that meat dress, you’d all be supporting her. I think you’re all upset she used an idea you guys didn’t come up with yourself. Either way, you would of supported her if she represented PETA, seeing that she didn’t represent anyone, you’re all bashing it. Typical for a contradicting organization that kills kittens.

• rosebud1951 says:

I am not a vegetarian or a vegan, but that dress was just horrid, I think that there would have been many other ways to go about speaking for human rights. When I think of that dress of meat I think of the waste and all the people and especially children and elderly starving for food right now and a animal but, probably several animals could have been saved.

• The butcher says:

I love it! It just confirms how delicious meat is and we should appreciate what we have! Id eat it right off of her!

• Kwilkins says:

I think its pathetic anyone would get outraged enough to write an article about such a dress. Agree or disagree with what she has done you have gone and given her exactly what she wanted, PUBLICITY, and publicity good or bad is benefitial to the artist and encourages this behaviour. Whether you eat meat or not laugh cause after all its some dumb celebrity looking for publicity for wearing meat.

• PETA says:

Re: Michael. Unfortunately, Lady Gaga is not yet a vegetarian, and did not wear this dress of rotting flesh as an animal rights statement. When Ellen DeGeneres asked Lady Gaga why she wore the meat dress, Gaga said, “It is a devastation to me that I know my fans who are gay … feel like they have governmental oppression on them. That’s actually why I wore the meat tonight.”

• Michael says:

Also, please do your research. Lady Gaga is a vegetarian and outspoken for animal rights. You at Peta use the horrifying images of animals getting tortured to prove your point, so why is wrong for Gaga to do the same?

• Michael says:

As a neutral third party, it’s not as if Lady Gaga went out and killed the animal herself. She basically bought it and wore it. I think she sort of payed tribute to the animals who were killed by wearing them, rather than let them become bodily waste. In essence, at least the creature will go back to the earth. Gaga buying the meat and wearing it doesn’t condone the selling of it, because even if she didn’t buy it somebody else would have. There’s no reason to hate on her because of it.

• Melissa Lynn says:

I personally love Lady Gaga. She is talented and her political and motivational messages are stunning. I do agree that the meat dress was taking it a bit too far but if you REALLY break it down, It is basically the same as wearing fur or eating meat… Plus, Gaga clearly stated that she did not mean to disgust or offend any vegans/vegetarians. She stated this on Ellen: “It’s certainly no disrespect to anyone that’s vegan or vegetarian, As you know I’m the most judgment-free human being on the Earth. It has many interpretations, but for me this evening it’s saying if we don’t stand up for what we believe in, if we don’t fight for our rights, pretty soon we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on our bones.”

• Anna says:

That is so gross…not only for the animals who suffered, but what about starving people even here in the US that see that? They have nothing to eat while she prances around. I’m not going to buy any more of her music anymore, that’s way too much for me. As a vegetarian…I’m pretty grossed out for sure.

• Lex says:

To be honest, I didn’t really care about her outfit, although it wasn’t really flattering. I don’t see why you’re so upset about it cause people have done worse. Besides, it certainly did get attention, positive or negative. Her music is good, and I, for one, think that’s all that matters. Not what she wears, acts, looks; it’s her pretty voice I like her for. Just one mess up isn’t a good enough reason to hate her. Besides, it was probably fake. It would smell too bad, and after a while rot.

• Seriously? says:

You guys sit up here on your high horse (pun intended) preaching about being vegetarian. So, do you condemn your ancestors for killing bison and mammoth to survive? If they didn’t kill animals, you wouldn’t be here to be such whiners. Ding! Oh, steak is done…

• Bob says:

Thanks OP, I agree with you. Meat does taste delicious.

• Vegangirlie says:

Re: PETA Ha. Maybe do a little more research on Lady Gaga before taking what she says to heart. She makes a mockery of the media and is known to give nonsensical answers during interviews. She is a performance artist, and her thing is attacking post-modernism by making a spectacle of it. Don’t judge things based on appearance. Lady Gaga is a vegetarian and an outspoken animal activist. Don’t hate just because you can.

• deniz says:

lady oyyykkkkkkk, disgusting..

• PETA says:

Re: vegangirlie: When Ellen DeGeneres asked Lady Gaga why she wore the meat dress, Gaga said, “It is a devastation to me that I know my fans who are gay … feel like they have governmental oppression on them. That’s actually why I wore the meat tonight.” Unfortunately, it was not a statement about the fur or leather industry.

• vegangirlie says:

Guys, maybe do a little research on Gaga before attacking her. She is an avid animal rights supporter, and has stated in recent interviews that she wore such a dress to make a statement. She is shedding light on the fact that wearing fur and leather, although widely accepted, is disgusting and wrong. By wearing meat, she was alerting the public to the fact that ANY sort of animal product worn is unacceptable and SHOULD be considered just as shocking as raw meat. Do your research.

• vegantron says:

no longer a fan, gaggag… i mean gaga. YUCK!!!

• Christian14525 says:

I think this isn’t as big a deal as we’re making it. We don’t see pictures of stars eating hamburgers with the headline “lady gaga eats a hamburger”. So if that’s not upsetting people then what’s the difference with wearing it? ( odd, yes I know) but either way she’s using meat. And let’s be thankful she doesn’t wear fur.

• Joe says:

I used to be a big fan of hers till she wore it. And no i won’t buy her record anymore. She’s a disgusting disturbed person and she just makes me want to vomit! i used to be so obsessed with her but this meat dress shows that she lies about everything she says.. she said she wouldn’t wear fur. I don’t believe her anymore and i hope she will do a flop with her next album.

• leo says:

enteresante

• PETA says:

Re: Puppy lover. Sadly, her dress was made out of the animal flesh. To learn more about animals used for food, please read: http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/factory-farming.aspx. – PETA

• puppy lover says:

Why would someone wear real meat? It is obliviously fake meat.

• al12 says:

Gaga’s really amazing I’m always loyal to her, however yes like almost everyone else on this site I am a vegetarian and can see all ur perspectives. I wish Gaga had nvr worn that dress. She said she wasnt trying to offend any vegetarian by wearing it. Well here’s the truth: we as humans are not offended, BUT the lil baby calf whose mother was killed for the dress (not even to feed someone, but for clothing) and probably had to watch his/ her mother get killed before his/ her very eyes is/ was VERY offended… then probably killed for veal him/ herself:'( I truly hate everything about meat.

• Bonny B says:

LADY GAGA, you just lost my respect and I’m not going to buy your music! Plus, I’m going to send everyone on my vast contact list an email about how REPULSIVE AND SADISTIC you are!! Had heard so much raving about Lady Gaga’s talent that I was going to order some of her cds- NOT AFTER READING ABOUT THIS DISGUSTING STUNT!! What is going on with the world?! I’m seeing fur everywhere again- this is INSANE! So much ANTI FUR progress was made and the sadistic monsters at New York Magazine, Century 21 Dept Stores, The NY Times Magazine, Vanity Fair Magazine etc etc are PUSHING FUR again! Congratulations on LOSING FANS & RECORD SALES and ruining your career LADY GAGA! What a genius you are- NOT!!

• THE DRESS IS REAL MEAT!!!!!!!!!! says:

http://style.mtv.com/2010/09/13/2010-vmas-was-lady-gagas-meat-dress-real/ LOOK HERE IT SO GROSS!!!!! I CANT BELIVE SHE DID THIS!

• jj says:

I am not vegan but I do not believe in the torture or cruel treatment of our food or animals period.

• Elise Lanciault-Breton says:

I’d just like to say that we are saying it’s awful, but do we REALLY know what was Lady Gaga’s intentions? Maybe she decided to wear this dress made of raw meat to shock people and make them realize that when they wear fur, it’s like they were wearing THIS. An awful meat dress. I don’t think Lady Gaga is stupid, she has a lot of ideas and intentions behind her acts! I would like to say to PETA: I love your community! But I think we should deliberate about this question before just pointing her out for wearing a meat dress. Maybe in a shocking way, she wanted to provide a message that looks like yours and you thrown her like garbage… Seriously, I love Peta, but we need to consider more things than just what meets the eye!

• jamxu says:

someone could just as well dress in all the trash that a typical family uses in a month. the meat-dress or the trash-dress or whatever mockery of modern decadence you prefer, it only brings into the open all at once what goes on constantly little-by-little in too-many-millions of households. great if people are appalled: the shock stirs some critical attention: something most of us seem to have let lapse. meanwhile Gaga’s not afraid to breach boundaries for the sake of exploring [aesthetic etc.] possibilities (isn’t this the confidence her whole career is supposed to demonstrate? in atonement for her high-school years or whatever), despite any risk of controversy. anyway: while I’m appalled by the meat industry etc., in some sense I appreciate Gaga’s experiments, even the more daring and disgusting, even those one might consider mistakes, even when what she intended to convey differs from what I appreciate about her extravagant expressions. to say the least, she doesn’t exist to satisfy people’s standards of propriety. she only makes explicit what is already there.

• Gabby says:

“She kills a cow, and eats it.” Horrible, but at least it makes sense, I mean for survival. I mean if I was dying and the only thing to eat was a cow I would have to. Same for a human. But honestly? She wears the meat? I thought people wearing the fur of animal was bad enough, now wearing the rotting insides of an animal? That’s just repulsive. I mean, if you’re gonna go kill a cow , give the meat to a starving little kid who’s dying. Don’t wear somethings insides! EWWWW!

• Zoe says:

I think she was trying to make a statement about how stupid fur s

• Ocean says:

I was pretty close to running for the bathroom looking at that dress not because shes covered in meat but what happened to the animals that had to be used.

• lady gaga fan says:

When GaGa was on Ellen with the meat dress, you can clearly see that Ellen was not happy about it, but she did her best at keeping her composure. I thought the explanation behind it was just totally ridiculous. I love Lady GaGa, but she is really bitter-sweet to me. The explanation she gave was that if we don’t fight for what we believe in, we will only be as strong as the meat on our bones. Seriously? That’s the best her and her team could come up with? Take a look around GaGa, most of us HAVE more meat on our bones than needed. And what really is disturbing is that she posed in a similar outfit for Japanese Vogue. I’ve heard her say that she doesn’t wear fur. In fact, she made a comment about why she wore the Kermit the Frog outfit. She stated that she wore the Kermit outfit as a statement of saying that she doesn’t wear fur. You know, for a person who is so dedicated to equality, she can at least respect the wish of others who do not want food to go to waste simply because of starving people. I honestly don’t know if she is just a long lived fad or if she is truly here to stay.

• ella says:

She wear meat not for the reason that many think. She wear it as an moral and political statement. Why would it be a difference to wear fur or leather than to wear meat? Haven’t killed more animals. Less, i would say.

• Christal says:

I’m a veggie and I’m a bit offended and not offended at the same time… I think that the dress is misunderstood…I don’t believe its correct to wear decaying flesh but it makes a statement and makes people see it as gross. people belive it is perfectly acceptable to ingest meats and wear the skin and furs of an animal but not the flesh. is it because people cant handle the disgusting look of raw meat that it is bloody compared to a clean leather jacket? people think it is okay to wear fur and animal skin so why dont people think its ok to wear raw meat on their body? if people eat it all the time then they should be able to accept what meat is and what it looks like and not cringe in horror and call it gross because theyre just as guilty for consuming it on a daily basis.