Ladies, Listen Up!

Written by PETA | June 9, 2010
Jarlhelm / CC by 2.0
toilet

Eating meat can be a real pain in the behind—literally. A new study from France found that women who consumed the most protein—particularly animal flesh—had nearly three times the risk of being diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). IBD includes ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, and other nasty conditions that cause severe inflammation in the digestive system and often abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding. Researchers think that meat could contribute to IBD because digesting animal flesh produces hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, and other potentially toxic “end products.”

I have a gut feeling that IBS sufferers—and everyone else—would be better off switching to a diet that’s kind to our digestive systems and to animals!

Written by Lindsay Pollard-Post

Comments

• rojo says:

77 developed IBD out of 67000 women 90 of whom consume more than the recommended daily protein intake. A real win for veganism

• Tim Malvern says:

My wife and I became vegetarians two months ago. Before then I spent most of my life living with IBS every month Awful pain blotting vomiting and diarrhoea.Now as a committed vegetarianNO meatfishmilkeggsbutter or cream.I feel GREAT

• Mel says:

IBS also comes from eating hot peppers… just some food for thought.

• jami napolitani says:

I know that this is so true! I became vegetarian exactly one month ago TODAY and i had the WORST bowl problems ever….my stomach always was hurting! Now i have the most regular digestive system i have ever seen P

• dale brown says:

has anyone seen the rebecca francis website on facebook.do people think it should be removed or it should be left for the whole world to see what type of woman this is?

• Andrea says:

WOW!!! I have UC and since I have gone vegetarian I have noticed a stark difference. It’s great seeing this isn’t just in my head!

• Cindy says:

Eating meat just destroys the whole body inside and out. Vegetarians are just much more healthier and animals are not being sacrificed for our meals.

• Christina says:

It states this info is directed towards women. Wouldn’t it be the same for men?

• cierra says:

that was a great comment Natasha !! thanks for helping animals everyday !!

• Lauren says:

Wow. That’s gross I’m so happy I don’t eat meat. I’m showing everyone that I can this post so maybe they’ll switch.

• Natasha says:

Whoot!! Another great reason to be vegan! I feel great not only helping the animals and the planet but I’m sure my insides are thanking me to