Kosher Meat is an Oxymoron

Written by PETA | August 25, 2007

Ingrid sent me this list of quotes from Rabbis that she received from the Jewish Vegetarians of North America the other day. It’s really a fascinating read, whether you happen to be Jewish or not.

“It should not be believed that all beings exist for the sake of the existence of man. On the contrary, all the other beings too have been intended for their own sakes and not for the sake of anything else…There is no difference between the pain of humans and the pain of other animals.”Rabbi Moses Maimonides (1135-1204), Guide for the Perplexed “In the killing of animals, there is cruelty.” Rabbi Joseph Albo, Sefer Ha-Ikarim, Vol. III, Ch. 15 “To make animals suffer is forbidden by the Torah.” Rabbi Shear Yashuv Cohen, Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi of Haifa, Israel “The dietary laws are intended to teach us compassion and lead us gently [back] to vegetarianism.” Rabbi Shlomo Raskin
“If This is Kosher . . .” a video narrated by Jonathan Safran Foer

“He who kills an ox is as if he slew a person.” Isaiah 66:3 “One who destroys a single life is considered to have destroyed an entire world, and one who saves a single life is considered to have saved an entire world.” –> Talmud, Sanhedrin 4:5 “The fate of men and the fate of animals, they have one and the same fate. As one dies, so does the other, and they all have the same spirit.” Ecclesiastes 3:19 “I don’t want my food choices to condone the suffering that occurs in the animal food industry. Judaism takes seriously the idea of personal responsibility. Communal change for the better and improved societal ethical behavior starts with the individual.” Rabbi Adam Frank “The laws of kashrut come to teach us that a Jew’s first preference should be a vegetarian meal.” Rabbi Pinchas Peli, Torah Today “A higher form of being kosher is vegetarianism.” Rabbi Daniel Jezer “We should make all our consumption as holy as possible…The more we live as if this were the messianic age the closer we are to it.” Rabbi Rami Shapiro “What may have once made sense, now can no longer be justified….Let us realize today, in the vast majority of cases, ‘kosher meat’ is an oxymoron.” Rabbi Fred Scherlinder Dobb “By not eating meat, I am much more certain to never violate, even accidentally, the Biblical and rabbinic prohibitions concerning non-kosher meat. The traditional production of kosher meat never envisioned mass slaughterhouses or factory farms. It is questionable whether most meat or poultry produced in this country that is sold as kosher is actually in compliance with the traditional rules of kashrut as well as the prohibition against cruelty to animals.” Rabbi Jon-Jay Tilsen “The simpler way [of maintaining kashrut], which is the better way in the eyes of the tradition, is to be vegetarian.” Rabbi Michael Cohen “If you don’t eat meat, you are certainly kosher… And I believe that is what we should tell our fellow rabbis.” Rabbi Shear Yashuv Cohen, Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi of Haifa, Israel “The Nazis explicitly structured their industrial destruction of the Jews on the model of animal slaughter. This is not to compare the suffering of animals and humans, but shows that the way we treat animals is similar to the way the Nazis treated us.” Rabbi Hillel Norry “Be kind and compassionate to all creatures that the Holy One, Blessed Be He, created in this world. Neither beat nor inflict pain on any animal, beast, bird or insect. Do not throw stones at a dog or a cat, nor should you kill flies or wasps.” Sefer Chasidim [Book of the Pious] “One does not ask for forgiveness of sins while wearing articles made from the skins of slaughtered animals.” Shulchan Aruch [Code of Jewish Law] “Perhaps the most powerful argument in favor of vegetarianism today more than ever before … is the prohibition against ‘chillul HaShem’, the desecration of God’s name. Surely it is precisely such a desecration when observant Jews eat animals produced under conditions of cruelty that flagrantly violate Jewish teachings and prohibitions…” Rabbi David Rosen, former Chief Rabbi of Ireland “It is not necessary for any human benefit to consume the flesh of animals. In fact it is harmful to human health, destructive of the environment, and wasteful of valuable resources that could be better used to feed the hungry and provide for the needy. All of these are Torah values.” Rabbi Hillel Norry “I grew repulsed by the idea of killing and eating animals, so I stopped.” Rabbi Jon-Jay Tilsen “The staples of life do not include meat.” Rabbi David Golinkin “My decision to abstain from the consumption of animal products is an expression of my adherence to Jewish law.” Rabbi Adam Frank “Even the Torah itself recognizes that eating meat is not an ideal thing for the human being. It’s not the ideal diet for the human race.” Rabbi Simchah Roth “There is simply no spiritual defense in either the Western or Eastern religious traditions for eating meat.” Rabbi Marc Gellman, “The First Hamburger” “I relate vegetarianism to Judaism in several ways…the torture of animals and the suffering that they go through, to be raised on these large factory farms and then eaten is really forbidden by Judaism.” Adam Stein, rabbinical student

And in case you’ve never seen it, check out what PETA found when we went undercover in the largest “kosher” slaughterhouse in existence.

Comments

• Erik says:

Vegan4Animals Kosher does not mean ‘clean’ but ‘allowed’. It has nothing to do with being filthy or so. Kosher meat is slaughtered in the most humane way IF it’s indeed done according to tradition. However I agree with all the quoted rabbis say. Vegetarian lifestyle is kosher!

• WA Ford says:

Religious jews are nearly vegetarian. The little meat they eat called kosher meat is from animals slaughtered in a more humane manner.

• Eli Katz says:

Keith. where did you learn all of the antiSemitic bullsht? i have been raised up a Jewish vegetarian by my parents who have been vegetarians for most of their lives. and Jewish. I have recently become vegan and do not see how Judaism conflicts with my morals. please correct me if you believe me to be wrong.

• keith says:

Zona thats one of the finest comments I have read. Brilliant !!

• Zona says:

understandably many Jewish animal activists and leaders say they are Atheist or unpracticiing Jews one can see why from one look at the zillions of animals outside of a God’s touch of mercy or rescue. No amount of quoting the scriptures has helped an animal who walks up the planks to slaughter. Sorry pessimistic but facing the truth. Disappointed for the animals but growing up Jewish animal activist

• chief seattle's legacy says:

to Dave M. i think that you oversaw something very important the intelligentsia and artists of this planet are mostly vegetarians never mind if they are christians jewish muslim buddhists hindus or atheists! the most part of dumbasses and politicians of this planet are meateaters never mind if they are christians jewish muslim buddhists hindus or atheists! i think that it’s clear here that the dumbasses predominate! capisc?

• keith says:

” Thanks ” Site Owners for allowing my blogs to correct those pair.

• keith says:

Come on Site Owner have you been scared off by the remarks those two Cretins wrote about me ?

• Ana says:

observer The journal of CCA is called “The Ark” and it is filled with both wonderful and sad news as well as pictures depicting happy animals and abused animals. Members receive the Ark 3 times a year. I was a life member before I was asked to become a board member for the USACCA. I am very much impressed with the efforts of CCA to help all animals worldwide. The quotes from the bible that the Ark contains certainly enhances the status of all creatures and it also calls upon us humans to behave with moral dignity and justice. It is a great websiteyes all animals have souls!!! keith you’re right not all members of Judaism agree with veganism or with animal rights. The same can be said about Catholics. Nonetheless Catholic Concern for Animals exists for the sole purpose of educating Catholics along with other Christians to truly show a loving heart to the other animals that God loves dearly and created. CCA promotes a vegan ethic.

• observer says:

have to comment again on these quotes. with what we have been dealing with recently these quotes are well appreciated and an intelligent peaceful oasis.

• keith says:

Sue Nadine .. whom runs the fur industry then ? and all the chemical industries ? think on Morons..

• keith says:

Nadine Susannah. Your the uneducated morons. whom left Nazi Gemany in the 30′s rich Jewish Merchants whom could not give a tinkers curse about the working and poor Jewish families left behind. Who would not allow Jewish refugees into Switzerland in the War Years. Got any ideas ..

• observer says:

really wonderful fascinating quotes!!!! very uplifting!!! thanks!!! ana catholicanimals.org has always been one of my favorite sites!!! great that you are a board member for the cca!!! one of my favorite biblical verses 1Corinthians 3844. proof positive to me that animals have souls. so I believe and I know that all animals will have peace in the arms of Divine Justice.

• Susannah says:

Keith International Jewry? HUH? So you’re antisemitic. It could’ve been expected I suppose given the subject that some moron would post some kind of antisemitic crap. For a lesson in humanity though read the statements of the rabbis above and see if you can learn something.

• Shay Fredericks says:

what about the Jewish custom of sacrificing a unblemished lamb as a atonement of sins?

• Nadine says:

Keith Your hateful comments are unwarranted. There is no place for antisemitism here. Consider the many leaders of the AR movement who are Jewish Dr Elliott Katz of In Defense of Animals Alex Hershaft of FARM Richard Schwartz author professor and AR activist Isaac Beshevis Singer author and ethical vegetarian and many others. How dare you espouse your antisemitic rhetoric!! You are obviously uneducated! People in the AR movement are openminded. You sound like a Nazi! Whoever is in charge of this please do not allow this to continue!

• Dave M. says:

Hi I found this blog while looking for PETA’s releases about a recent news story. I imagine a lot of people who disagree with your many various and loud opinions find your blog in a similar way. I feel like swallowing some bait today so here goes. First 99 and 44100ths of selfidentified Jews don’t even know who the living people you quoted are let alone accept them as some sort of binding authority. Perhaps Adam Stein the “rabinnical student” has acquired universal authority over the Jews but I doubt it. Mark Gellman I think writes a syndicated column with a priest but he’s hardly well known. On the other hand Jewish law including documents you cite! and thousands of years of tradition and practice support an opinion contrary to that of the living people quoted. Of the texts mentioned that are generally accepted by orthodox Jews most conservative and reform Jews don’t accept the the Shulchon Orech or Talmud as binding you have selected and given a strained interpretation to a few translated quotations out of their original context. Inasmuch as I don’t think you or any of the other people who have posted have any idea of the contents of the documents you cite you shouldn’t be citing them at all. I hear the clicks of a million secular Jews going to Wikipedia to find information to prove me wrongsorry information acquired after I’ve called your bluff doesn’t count! If I had the time and interest I could sift through decades of Petarelated press releases and news stories and those of Peta supporters and cobble together a set of quotes supporting an argument that Peta endorses canibalism over eating meat. That wouldn’t make it true. I assure you that prior to say about five minutes ago there has never been any specifically Jewish vegetarian movement although I admit a few Jews have been vegetarians and supporters of nonJewish movements. I realize that all this is Peta’s game but it doesn’t make it fair. It’s why I give your opinions about the weight I give Rush Limbaugh’s or Sean Hannity’s. You don’t know enough and aren’t honest enough to discuss these things reasonably. Have a good evening.

• keith says:

I do not retract my first comment. But could we all so consider that International Jewry pulls the strings of every Gov. in the Western Hemisphere. with one aim greed money greed and more money so do they really give a damn who gets hurt Human Or Creature.

• vegan4animals says:

As far as I know kosher means “clean”. What a joke! Meat is the most filthy disgusting bacteria ridden puke you could ever make contact with. There is no way to clean meat no matter how barbarically you kill an animal. Yes those two words create an oxymoron. Awesome work compiling that list of quotes. I think we would have all given up hope for a world where animals are respected as equals if it weren’t for the work PETA does.

• Ana says:

Hello Jack I am a board member for the USA arm of Catholic Concern For Animals. Maybe you can quote from the mission for CCA…. http://www.catholicanimals.org I am in favor of Judaism and Catholicism 1.2 billion Catholics worldwide promoting veganism using their respective Scriptures to support this. This is just another way to promote compassion for the suffering animals who are crying in agony for help.

• animalfriend says:

please i think this is not for to post urgent dear peta team on the website http://www.beyondhollywood.cominterviewwithtromaslloydkaufmann concerning the film ‘poultrygeist’ he declares that during the making of the film he became vegetarian because of kfc cruelty! on the other side when they asked him if they killed any chicken for the film he replied no but we killed two dogs and a leopard! in the film stars ron jeremy! please verify urgently! thank you claudia marrapodi

• Kelley says:

While reading these comments I was amazed at the comment of the Rabbi who campared the treatment of Jewish people during the Holocausta similarity I have always recognized to what we have reduced animals to being todayfodder for use abuse and ultimate destruction. The Nazis decided Jews were less than human therefore their suffering ceased to matter. I wish more people could make this connection.

• Susannah says:

Having read what the rabbis had to say I doubt that much more could be added except to thank them for speaking up for the animals. Now if they could only unite and effect changes to the Kosher slaughter rules so that these cruel practices are discontinued!

• Jaclyn says:

Wow. I couldn’t say it better. I think my favorite quote is If we are insensitive towards animal life then we desensitize ourselves as human beings.

• Lee M says:

Brilliant words from brilliant minds.

• animal pride says:

yeah! these rabbis tell us the truth during all the centuries! i really enjoy this blog!!!

• Le Petit Prince says:

What a wonderful page here this shows once more that in all the cultures and societies the upper classes are far more advanced and great feelings you can find there where educated intelligent and illuminated souls are dwelling! I’m so happy to read this article and I can’t get enough from it! This is real truth and greatness this is the real bibel! This light is shining directly inside my heart! May this light shine everywhere in this world where there is darkness and enlighten the millions of dark uneducated hearts!

• keith says:

Its a Pity International Jewry is Ignorant of these facts. or indeed turns the blind eye deaf ear. Long Live Peta Ingrid Newkirk.