How ‘No-Kill’ Fails Animals: The List Keeps Growing

Written by PETA | November 16, 2012

Anyone who has a hard time understanding why PETA hasn’t hopped onto the “no-kill” bandwagon should have a look at this long list of failures of limited-admission (i.e., “no-kill”) shelters and rescues. There have been so many raids, busts, and seizures that we can’t even be sure that we have kept up with them all.

Rescued From a ‘Rescue’?

One of the latest tragedies comes from Muncie, Indiana, where 63 dogs and puppies were seized from a single-story house operating as “Adopt a Lab Rescue and Adoption.” Living conditions were so foul that one official characterized it as being “like a dungeon in the basement.”  Some of the dogs had reportedly been bought from a “broker.” This same facility had also been raided in 2010, when 30 dogs were removed because of poor conditions, including keeping animals in crates without food or water for up to 21 hours a day.

Limited Admission, Limited Compassion

No one wants to euthanize animals, least of all people who dedicate their lives to helping them. And we should all be deeply upset that in this day and age, shelters must still resort to euthanasia—but breeding and buying animals from pet shops is still legal (in most places)! The reality is that there are more animals in need of homes than there are people ready to adopt them. Even if we could build enough shelters to hold all of them, these animals need real homes and families to love them. They can’t be warehoused forever just to make us feel better.

Euthanasia prevents suffering—it is, by definition, humane. But turning away animals in need of shelter is anything but humane. Forcing animals to exist in cages, joyless, for months or years or their entire lives, is inhumane, too, as is allowing animals to suffer in squalor, loneliness, deprivation, and illness.

What You Can Do

There is an answer, and it lies in prevention! We can reduce euthanasia and the need for it by taking the smart, effective approach: animal birth control (ABC). Please start an ABC campaign in your community, and never be silent when animals are at risk.

Comments

• animal lover says:

People don’t deserve animals if they can’t take care of them

• animal lover says:

Animals don’t deserve to be killed we should put an end to this

• No Shame says:

I’m not sure why people even get animals when they cant afford them. I’ts cruel right off the bat. I fell in love with an American Bulldog puppy when she was 10 months old I almost lost her. I spent my $6,000 I had for a down payment on my 2013 Mustang Shelby. My friends and family said I should had put her down. My Demon is now 16 months old and healthy as can be. lol and I still have my “01″ mustang. What can I say I love my baby the car can wait. :)

• Shigh says:

I know of one animal shelter that looked after their animals very well which, instead of using euthanasia when they’d been there a “too long”, release them into a controlled environment and “find” them so they can register them as a new animal. Most of these animals do eventually find a good home =)

• jean public says:

we need to put breeders out of business. they are overbreeding. every pet dog/cat born deserves a home. if we stop the breeders, we would have a much better chance of finding homes for them. stop the damn breeder profiteers. they are underground marketers of misery.

• Debby says:

Mr. Zebub, do you really want to feed animals that have been killed by lethal injection to people? Does that make any sense at all?

• Lisa says:

Unfortunantly and saddly many many cats and dogs are euthunized because there is no room left, its not just in America it happens here in the UK at the moment rescue centers are at bursting point now centres are asking for foster families for the Christmas period, humans are responsible for this not spaying neuting their animals and its the poort animals that suffer.

• Mr. Zebub says:

It is horrible that these animals suffer in no kill shelters. We are obligated to euthanize these animals humanely, and top of that we should not let them go to waste. We should eat them. Then that would be “humane meat” would it not?

• believerinfreewill says:

Don’t stop the blame at the breeders. In fact, the blame lies squarely on the people who buy the animals, be they cats,dogs, what have you. It doesn’t matter if they spay/neuter them. Think about it. As long as people buy the animals, there will be a market for them. As long as there is a market for them the breeders will keep breeding. I have two dogs and I love them, but knowing what I know now I will not get another animal. It would be better to spend my money on charitble donations to people who really need it. If people didn’t support these industries, if people would STOP BUYING DOGS AND CATS FOR THEIR SPOILED brat kids who promise to take care of them but never do, you can bet the population of animals at shelters would drop dramatically. So tell your friends and neighbors NOT to buy an animal as a gift. Not for their girlfriends, their kids, their parents. If your child wants a pet, tell them they can have one when they grow up and can pay to take care of it. If they cry and whine about it, buy them a furbie and tell them to forget about it. Tell them if they want to take care of someone, go do something nice for the old lady next door. She’ll appreciate it more than that animal ever will.

• oldnerd says:

If people were rounding up raccoon, seals or monkeys and killing them, would we protest against that? Then why is it ok for “shelters” to do this to dogs and cats? Are they less worthy of life?

• oldnerd says:

If people were collecting raccoons, seals, or monkeys, and then killing them, would we protest against that? Then why is it ok for “shelters” to do this to dogs and cats? Are they worth less?

• Bobo says:

What also should be mentioned is that the head veterinarians continue to support Adoptalab and openly praise them. The veterinarians have openly admitted to knowing that Adoptalab was purchasing puppies from a puppy mill and have tried to justify this practice. The veterinarians have also seen the dogs during their initial placement with Adoptalab and again prior to the dogs leaving the facility, therefore they’ve clearly seen that the health of dogs in Adoptalab’s care have consistently gone on significant decline during their placement with Adoptalab but they have done nothing.

• Romali Joshi says:

100% agree on your stance.

• Chris says:

Thank you PETA you have my support always.

• andrew says:

These living conditions are nasty and its sad that the dogs had to live in this filth and without food. Im sure the rescue was trying to do the right thing, and things got out of control, like on hoarders. I have to say, I almost 100 percent of the time agree with Peta, however, this may be the first time I disagree. I do not believe that you should stop a beating heart unless if it is the Best thing there is to do for the animal. I do not believe that animals should be euthanized if they are healthy animals. I do however think that we need to go to the root of the problem, such as the breeders, as well as a stronger spay and neuter law. I do not feel that these poor dogs should loose there life due to this. Im sure that there are many people that would love to rescue these dogs. Again, euthanasia is not the answer for healthy dogs. Whats Peta’s Slogan again? Animals are not our to eat, wear, experiment on, use for entertainment etc, however, they think euthanasia is ok for a perfectly healthy animal. I don’t agree..

• Randy says:

Thanks PETA and others like u that continue to work towards the goal of reducing EU through a logical approach to pet over population. Shame too on those that bury their heads in the sand and blindly scream no kill with no real solutions in mind. Shame too on those same no kill leaders who criticize groups that actually do some thing for the animals with their donations while no kill spends it on them selves.

• K says:

Let’s stop blaming others, blame the true culprits, it is the people that breed the dogs that are at fault. It is worse to pick your nose in public than to dump a dog or treat it poorly. It is the lack of education in socioeconomic areas that need it the most not other animal advocates. I run a “No Kill” rescue and I don’t have a gross house or a gaggle of dogs running around. Shame on you for eluding that rescues are hoarders or that having a “no kill” stance means you are doing harm. I also do not think Euthanasia is wrong. I have no need to point a finger at any pro animal organization and blanket them to promote my own agenda…. Working alone, the sky is the limit… Working together there is nothing we can’t achieve.

• Susan Sowell Siano says:

It is a good start, but much more work to change attitudes is needed

• Susan Sowell Siano says:

It is a good start, but much more work to change attitudes is needed

• Kibar2 says:

Although I don’t agree, I do understand. However, is there no way we can open some sort of sanctuaries for dogs & cats etc to run and play while waiting for their forever home…and perhaps implement a program which would be affordable to neuter or spay ours animal when they are 6 months.(a government incentive for vets would be a start)… Just thinking.

• Margaret Barnhart says:

Thank you PETA for being one of the VERY FEW major animal organizations that does not “hide” the truth about no-kill shelters. Having volunteered at a shelter for many years, one other way these abominable “No-Kill” places “disposes” of their unwanted animals is to “donate” them on to other shelters that are forced to painlessly euthanize these animals because of over-breeding, sickness or aggressiveness, have no quality of life Don’t blame these shelters. Blame the breeders and the people who don’t spay/neuter their animals or want their dog/cat to have “just one litter. I rarely went home after a day at the shelter I volunteered in without crying, but knowing the animals that were no longer on this earth, were in a better place.

• Susan says:

I will always support adoption over buying but as long as people are allowed to breed animals whenever they like we will get this situation.

• kristina says:

This shows me that Peta are realistic and like me the thought of an animal suffering is one ofthe worst things on earth.I understand and support their stance on this.

• Janet Grin says:

We need laws to protect them. We could make a law that you need to take a course on the responsibility of owning a pet. If you are going to allow you pet to have babies you need a permit for each litter . If they are pure bred the license should cost more and the prices and conditions should be set and inspected. If we needed licenses to own pets the cost of our license could maybe include shots and spading & nuturing and maybe even pet ins. at affordable rates.

• Ashish says:

I completely agree with Peta. We should adopt animals instead of buying them from shops. They also have the right to be loved and cared just like us.

• karan arya says:

Thanks PETA for all the noble work you do and i will always support you in any possible way i can.

• Darla says:

Thank you for pointing out why euthanasia is a humane necessity and why breeders, puppy mills, pet stores, and people who buy companion animals and/or don’t fix them are responsible for animal homelessness and overpopulation. Blame the breeders and those who don’t spay/neuter, not the people who are reducing animal suffering. Thank you, PETA!

• Pat says:

I don’t have all the answers but suffering isn’t the answer No animal should be forced to suffer People in prison are treated better

• Sara says:

So sad but true!

• Minak says:

Unfortunately, this is an example of animals paying the price for human negligence and stupidity. If people would spay their animals, and keep the ones they have and not give them away or just leave them wherever when they no longer want them this problem could go away.

• Lila says:

I agree with PETA. A friend of mine helps out at a no kill cat shelter and there are about 30 cats in one room where they just scurry around. I don’t think this a great quality of life. They need loving homes. Not just a room to sit and look at a wall. Solution: I don’t know. All of this breaks my heart.

• Elio says:

I support Peta all the way

• Haridas says:

Animals give us their unconditional love-they do not deserve this treatment.

• nicE says:

i totally agree that peta cant house every single animal that is in need!! i get so angri when people get enraged at their euthanazia stance!! would they b willing to house the millionz of animals that are homeless!! if so fair dooz!! but here in britain i think i am correct in saying no animal charitiez are government funded so again it falls on the public!! r the public willing to pay the millionz of poundz it wud take to houze theze animalz till they find forever homez?? (which could b never!!) dont think people think theze thingz thru!! im sure their hearts r in the right placez but they shouldnt blame peta for not being able to help every single creature thats in need!!xx

• Katrin Trester says:

Don’t kill the Dogs

• HannaS says:

Totally agree, euthanasia is not the problem, over breeding is. Euthanasia is just a necessity for over breeding.

• diana stagniunaite says:

justice

• marlen says:

thanks peta all you do is the best for this animales.I will support you always.

• Jessica Vigos says:

I 100% AGREE AND COMPLETELY SUPPORT YOUR STANCE, I ALWAYS THINK IS THIS FOR US OR THE ANIMALS? I SO BADLY WANT THE WORLD TO SEE ALL OF THEIR BEAUTIFUL LITTLE SOULS WHEN THEY LOOK IN THEIR EYES. NEVER STOP FIGHTING, NEVER BE SILENT <3

• Pocho del Rio says:

I think we should focus on female dogs for ABC. The money saved from neutering males can be used to help females that lack funds. You can never eliminate all fertile males and just one is needed to importunate many females. Makes the most sense to focus on the bitches.

• Esther Workman says:

Please adopt animals from the shelters. Do not buy them from the pet store so the killing stops.

• Diane Taylor says: