Kevin Costner Wants to Help

Written by PETA | June 10, 2010

Kudos to Kevin Costner. Haunted by images of the animals who were covered in oil after the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill, Kevin has been funding a team of scientists for the past 15 years to develop a device that can help clean up oil spills by separating oil from ocean water. BP tested six of these machines last month in the Gulf of Mexico. Apparently the company was impressed by the machines’ nearly 100 percent success rate at separating oil from water, because it has just ordered 32 more. Our hats are off to Kevin for his compassion and generosity. We hope that his machines will save many animals by preventing more oil from reaching the shore.

Written by Lindsay Pollard-Post

Comments

• Elaine Bear Mertens de Carvalho says:

We love you Good bless you! from a Brazil

• Lucy Francis says:

I have been sitting dejected for the past few weeks wondering what is being done to help the oilslicked animals apart from PETA of course! and just read this!! WELL DONE KEVIN!! We all think what we would really do if we had money and the good that can be done with it and he is following that through for those of us who can’t. Great news!!!

• Kris says:

I have truly enjoyed many of your movies an consider you a gifted actor…but this role you have taken is phenomenal…thanks for your insight and procuring hope…

• Isabel Esteve Bertomeu says:

Thnaks you Mr Costner

• Maggie says:

All power to Kevin Kostner!

• Lilia N. Silva says:

Thank you so much for your generosity Mr. Costner. Our world should have more people like you speaking for the animals …..Animals will always be in my heart!

• Jessika Sueiras says:

Kevin un millon de gracias por amar a los animales y por precuparte por ellos ojala hubiera mas gente haciendo lo que tu haces eres un genio y un animal lover…mis respestos para ti

• Leslie says:

Kevin Costner was always a favorite actor of mine and now I adore him even more! Its not what you know its who you know. New Indian nickname “Cleaner of sea”..

• Nicola Beaumont says:

Kevin Costner was my longlasting teenage crush…how chuffed am I to find out after all these years that he is so compassionate about animals. Love it x

• Barbara says:

Dear Kevin se vuoi io ti sposo! from italy

• Michael Sinay says:

Your a true legend Kevin if only more famous people had your passion for animals. Ps i loved Water World seriously it was awesome!

• Hope Gormandy says:

Thank you Mr. Costner for using your celebrity status time and money to help our animals environment and planet. You are the man!

• Lee G says:

Kevin you’re the best. A hunky actor with a conscience what could be better. Wish there were more like you!

• Soleah says:

Thanks Kevin Costner

• hulya says:

Awesomely done !!!

• nita cohen says:

I live here in Pensacola Florida and trust me your idea will work much better then any idea bp will ever have to them it’s about money they don’t care what they just killed I grew up here and to me the beach the waves sand are a part of me thank you for helping…

• N.K. says:

It is great that an actor has been doing something independently like this instead of doing ‘kind things’ just for media attention. Thanks Kevin keep funding those sciencists!

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

Kevin Costner and my husband sometimes hung out together when they were attending the same high school and while they were both somewhat wild back then it seems they have both matured into caring men.

• MA Moore says:

What are they waiting for? The Dutch offered oil skimmers which could eliminate 20000 gallons of oil per day per boat. BP refused. Lets get the skimmers and Kevin’s technology in the water NOW! Thank you!

• David Kaliner says:

Thanks so much Kevin Costner for helping develop machines that could help in the oil disaster efforts. Please continue the good work.

• renee says:

• Deborah McCarthy says:

I knew I liked you. Now I love you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. xx

• Troy Dixon says:

Earth Mother and ALL of her critters thank you for your love concern and action to help save our oceans.

• Patty Miller says:

Kevin have you thought about running for President? It worked for Ronald Reagan. We need another one like him someone who really cares about things other than money and power. THANK YOU Kevin for your innovative effort in the right place at the time it is needed. Hopefully these machines will be put to good use. Kevin for President!!!!!

• Toby says:

It is profound the richest nation in earths history getting sort of ‘bailed out’ by a Hollywood Blister’s science project. The US should have invested more in infrastructure businessregulation green energy and less in the military… ‘not to mention’ the military’s pig goat murder training… terribly unethical investment there… also NASA should not be such a fundingpriority the sort of ‘oldboy’ system is so firmly in place that it’s difficult to shift the funneling of money to where it’s more needed.

• Penni says:

I’ve always seen you as a hero in the movies and now you are a real hero to mankind. It bothers me a great deal to see how callous humans are to our one and only planet. When it’s gone we have nothing. Thank God that you and your brother helped to open eyes to reality. Thank you Kevin and Dan. Kevin you are my favorite actor. God bless you and yours always.

• Lorie Jones says:

We love u Kevin!! Thank u! We need this to work and quickly! We’re dealing with hurricane season down here and that’s a scary thought with all of that oil! Imagine another Katrina Ike or Hugo God forbid! happening in this mess!!!

• Ela says:

I was just thinking today that possibly some private contractors could go out to the Gulf and collect all the oil that BP apparently don’t want to collect. This would certainly help the wildlife and the ecosystem and contactors could benefit from the oil. Thanks Kevin for being ahead of the game. You have always been my favorite actor.

• Saucy says:

Thanks Kevin for stepping up to the plate. May cooler heads prevail.

• Brittne says:

I am so thankful to Kevin Costner for this…I feel aweful for the animals people can be so greedy and rude and these animals have no need for money or anything..they just try and survive and they are suffering the worst repercussion.

• Savannah Kronson Bach says:

These are exactly the kind of people who should be celebrities and who really are celebrities!!! Thank you Kevin you rock! I always say people with mega bucks should be working towards nobler causes especially where any form of animal suffering is concerned! I Love You for what you are doing!

• Nathalie Ferfoglia says:

With powerfame come responsibility. Hat’s off to Kevin Costner to actually putting back more than he has taken.

• susan harwood says:

all these people want is money they wont spend on upkeep its heartbreaking to see the creatures dying.we ve all got to stick together to stop it . xx

• Marjorie says:

Kevin You were right there. I don’t know what happened but I know that you were willing to assist. I have concluded that Obama prefers that it does it damage before any real effort is made there. Many scientists inventors etc have volunteered God Bless you and your brother

• Sabina Charles says:

YEH Kevin!!! BE PART OF THE CURE!!!!

• Mary Haar says:

I sure hope Kevin can help. Is so sad the loss of a way of life living and all the poor creatures. Can only relate in part. I lost my job due to economy almost a year no job. I have critters and love them dearly.

• marsha Harris says:

Mr. Costner I salute you and your gallant effort this is surely no small task. If you’re successful you advance remedial plans throughout the world. A true vissionary you are!

• Lisa McMillan says:

What a great thing to hear today!

• Brian Speight says:

Going to go pick up some Kevin Costner movies now.

• Peter Cornstalk says:

This from the creator of Water World. LOL

• Dawn says:

Dances with Wolves way to go!

• darkmateria says:

awesome i was just thinking about why they havent discussed machines that would do just thatinnovation for the win now if we could just come up with a synthetic gas that doesnt use any original oil to produce.than we would be somewhere.and im not talkin ethonolcause that would take more corn than we have room for lol. but yeah costner you rock.

• Angela Olson says:

Thanks Kevin for your dedication and outstanding work on facilitating the making of these wonderful water cleaning machines!

• sharon s says:

Great job Kevin. The real American Spirit is to do something to solve the problem instead of pointing fingers. I think even Bill O’Reilly would have call him a Patriot.

• Gwen Cline says:

Dear Mr.Costner I want to thank you for dedication compassion and generosity of funding scientist to find ways to clean up oil spills. I can barely watch our wild life sruggle to get loose from the oil. This is too disturbing. I can only imagine the pain they’re going through. So when I read that you have been working with scientist for 15 years on a device that can get a handle on cleaning up spills. Well I wanted you to know I’m one sthat appreciates what you’re doing. Sincerely Gwen Cline

• Kathy says:

Thank You Mr. Costner!!!!It is so exciting to see someone who is willing to commit to the environment and welfare of wildlife. I am so elated that your team has found a way to separate the oil from the water. Now it is time for BP to put their Billions where it is needed most. Thank you for your compassion and generosity. Your children are so fortunate to have such a special man as their father. May God Bless You Always.

• S. McIntyre says:

Thank you Kevin on behalf of myself and all the creatures in the ocean and on the land. If only there were more people doing things like that… we would all be ok. Thanks.

• brenda cruz says:

Thank you kevin costner for your kindness may god bless you always your an amazing actor and a great human being we need more people like you in this world xoxo ur fanfriend always brenda

• ferdo says:

I hope He can produce those machines real fast!

• Sandy Richter says:

Hats off 2 Kevin Costner his drive 2 achieve this water cleaning machine! Many years of money hard work will pay off in more ways than one.