Kat Von D Is No Friend to Cats

Written by PETA | August 2, 2011
Rocky Mountain Feline Rescue/cc by 2.0

You would think that someone with the name Kat would know better, but Kat Von D committed a big Kat Von D, as in “Don’t,” when she bought a hairless cat from a breeder. Again.

In a recent episode of her reality TV series, L.A. Ink, Von D visits a breeder and plunks down a sizeable chunk of change for a sphinx cat. Oh, how we wish that the show’s producers had followed up with a visit to the local animal shelter to show the cat who will have to be euthanized because he or she just lost the chance at a home.

While millions of animals are euthanized in shelters every year and millions more die on the streets, unwanted and abandoned, there is no such thing as “responsible” breeding—only greedy animal pimps who make money at animals’ expense.

Here’s hoping that Von D starts to L.A. think about what her money is supporting. For robbing yet another cat in a shelter of a chance at a family and contributing to animal homelessness, Ms. D earned herself an “F.”

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• Anne Pat says:

I disagree with this. Good vs Bad? In this situation you cannot say that getting a cat from a breeder is bad. It is neither good nor bad. It just is what it is. It isn’t helping the cats in the shelters, but it is helping that particular cat that was bred by the breeder. The cats being bred still exist whether or not we’re adopting from the shelters. And in fact it is important to preserve these species of cats. I for instance am adopting a Cheetoh from a breeder. But I am also going to adopt from a shelter, and I’m going to volunteer at shelters probably for most of my life. I love cats. I don’t believe that getting a cheetoh will make me a bad person.

• Suzie Page says:

I wouldn’t say she is no friend of cats! As fas as I know she does donate to animals. My mom e.g. did buy from a breeder, but also took from shelter. So shes now what? Half good? Half bad? Well I do donate to the animal shelter, got my cat from someone I know through work, she couldn’t stay there might have ended up in a shelter. But one day I might buy a kitten from a breeder, so my shy cat doesn’t gets beat up by a bigger cat (again). And I will make sure it a breeder who takes care of the cats. There are lots of bad ones, just doing it for the money. I think you have always to look at the whole picture!

• CeCe says:

I have to disagree with a few things. Not everyone is going to buy an animal from a shelter. Yes, you can rescue one, but, what if you want to buy from a breeder? There lots of people who buy from breeders. That doesn’t mean they’re a bed person. You can’t rescue every animal in the whole entire world, nor is everyone going to buy an animal for a shelter. You don’t know about any of her pervious pets before she had her show. She could have had animal from a shelter. Who are you to judge? Don’t get me wrong, I love the thought of rescuing animals, but, not everyone can or will do it. It’s not your life, it’s hers. She makes choices. You make your choices. It’s not your concern.

• not a fan says:

That is sad. What a loser! As someone who influences younger people she could have tried harder to set a better example and use her resources to find a rescued pet. Plastic people do the dumbest things.

• PETSOVERPEOPLE says:

I wouldn’t expect much more from a woman who hooked up with a man, days after his infidelities went public.

• Verena says:

Very disappointing… she doesn’t portray herself that way in the show! Shame on her!

• jenn.pierce says:

I was unaware of this massive problem up until about a year ago whenever I picked up yet another stray dog off the streets. I usually keep the animals I take in, but I decided to try the humane society. When they said there was a waiting list for up to 12 weeks, I was appalled. Since then I’ve read and researched a lot of information about the effects of breeding and overpopulation crisis. While it may not be the case for some people, I think the majority of the problem is that people just aren’t educated. Unfortunately, ignorance isn’t illegal. I think there should be some type of law enforced where you can’t breed your animals more than once.

• stef says:

it’s ashamed, animal husbandry can scupulous should be forbidden and what they should favours adoptions of poor man animal in shelter or association