Jessica the Hippo

Written by PETA | October 17, 2007

This video is truly amazing. Since this is PETA’s blog and all, I guess I should say something like “Animals can teach us so much about tolerance . . .” but to be honest, all I’m really thinking is “WTF, there’s a hippo walking through the house!”

Take a peek at this.

Hippo_Jessica.JPG

Comments

• munchyrue says:

Jessica’s life is in danger. A neighbor farmer has sent a letter through his lawyer that he intends to file for a permit to shoot Jessica. She has done this man no harm. He is nuts. He already killed Charlie. Charlie was Jessica’s first real friend. He had been rescued by Tonie after falling into a pit. Game rangers had asked Tonie to put Charlie down so he would not starve to death. Tonie decided to put down sand bags. This idea worked and Charlie climed out. Shortly there after he showed up at Tonie’ farm and stayed. He never showed any aggression to the humans but he was given his space as a wild hippo. Then boom he is gone because some guy likes to play with guns. It has been thought that it might be better for Jessica and her family to relocate to the United States but I am not sure that is the best idea. It was my first thought when I was told of this situation but moving Jessica such a long distance might be difficult at best. Any ideas from anyone?

• MM says:

Learn more about Jessica on her website jessicahippo.com Join her fan club and get updates on her daily life. Joining the club helps the Jouberts offset some of Jessica’s food bill. Thanks

• MM Jessica;s godmother says:

Jessica is a very special being. She is free to be in the wild if she chooses. She loves her family and protects them. Other hippos have been around without showing aggressive behavior. Wild hippss can be dangerous but they are not the number one killer of people. There are not reliable stats to prove this. Most people that die in hippo attacks drown. Recently four out of five that were knocked from their boat drowned…not because of the hippo..because they did not know how to swim!

• JDamian Anastasio says:

There’s a special about this story on Animal Planet called “Jessica the Hippo.” More of the story!!!

• D.J. says:

As cute as that is let’s all remember that this is NOT the norm. Taking wild animals into your house is NOT good for them or you. No one should take an animal out of it’s enviornment like this. Cute how it likes the dogs though.

• Bec says:

That has got to be THE most amazing video I have ever seen! She is absolutely adorable and so cute when she snuggles up together with the dog to go to sleep!

• Mr. Chief says:

YOU DONT WANT A HIPPO!

• halo snipe says:

Not all animals are wonderful. Nontheless cool vid.

• laura says:

that was great! i want a hippo!

• Ruthie says:

All animals should be so lucky.

• STacy P says:

Thanks Jack! After drying my eyes from reading the comment about animals skinned alive and spacing out in filthy cages re the antifur demo this really picked up my spirits. Thanks to all the real animal lovers!

• josh says:

thats fucking awesome!

• Cyndi says:

Oh my gosh that is so incredible animals are so wonderful she is so cute I just can not get over this video.

• Marianne says:

How adorable is that?!

• Gen says:

That is amazing! I can’t believe that is really a hippo!! Wow!

• Hitchjr says:

That is amazing! If you aren’t aware of it you should also check out the aspen valley wildlife santuary. It’s a similar story from here in Ontario about a woman Audrey Tournay who takes in Beavers and skunks and lions etc. She wrote a book a few years ago called BEAVER TALES which is a fantastic read. here’s a link to their site httpwww.aspenvalleywildlifesanctuary.comDefault.htm Thanks for that video I’m definetly going to share it with as many people as I can. Peace.

• Cheryl says:

That is such a heart warming story…Thank you for putting it up.

• Carla says:

What a sweet gentle giant not the man killer they so long bin labelled. But like us they too have different personalities. Thanks for sharing the clip!

• Tracy says:

That is amazing! I don’t like when the hippo accidentally steps on the dog’s paw though. It could easily kill those dogs and people if it felt like it. I love how the lady says she sees her as her daughter. lol cute.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Talk about eating you out of house and homefor a vegetarian animal she’s got one impressive set of choppers apparently used for fighting.