It’s Ingrid E. Newkirk’s Birthday … Time to Celebrate

Written by PETA | June 10, 2009
Ingrid E. Newkirk

Tomorrow, PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk will celebrate her big 6-0, and we’ve received some queries from people wondering what to get her. Well, wonder no more, friends. We’ve got just the thing!

One cause that’s very close to Ingrid’s heart is Animal Rahat, and no wonder: Animal Rahat helps hard-working bullocks, donkeys, ponies, and horses in India, where Ingrid spent much of her childhood. Animal Rahat gives them relief (that’s what “rahat” means) from the heat, water to quench their raging thirst, a place to rest when they fall lame, veterinary care for their yoke and harness injuries, and sometimes even fodder during periods of draught when the subsistence farmers who own them can’t afford to feed them.

Rahat also offers a program that allows bullocks to retire and live out their lives with their human families instead of being sent to slaughter. You may recall the story we shared with you recently about Shilya’s retirement—and he’s just one of Rahat’s success stories.

Animal Rahat is doing great things for some of the least fortunate animals on Earth. To help them out—and to sign Ingrid’s birthday card—just zip over here.

Written by Jeff Mackey

Comments

• manju says:

Wish you a very happy birthday and also happy new year 2010. i am a 30 yr old bachelor from India and i am a vegan. I am intrested in associating with you in working for animal rights. pls reply ManjuBond9845635908

• Saucy says:

Happy belated birthday Ingrid. Your organization and passion has changed my life and rocked my world. I am eternally grateful. You have given me direction and a reason to be. I love you very much. You are a heroine. May goodness and mercy follow you all the days of your life. I look forward to the day when we meet again and want you to know that I am preparing to work on things that I proposed to you and will be in touch just as soon as I can.

• Danielle Collaza says:

Happy Birthday Ingrid! From Maricopa AZ!

• Irene Smith says:

Happy Birthday Ingrid Clear bright eyes that gaze at you Meows whimpers and purring too For each and every little paw a creature looks at you in awe Know that you are loved so much Your heart was blessed by God’s touch The creatures thank you and so do we The lovliest 60 yr old we see GOD BLESS YOU INGRID Irene Smith

• lynda downie says:

Happy happy birthday Ingrid. Thank you for the profound impact you’ve made in the lives of animals across the world and in the lives of humans who care passionately about them. Long live Peta! And long healthy and happy life to you Ingrid.

• Christine says:

Happy Birthday Ingrid! you are my Hero!

• Patty Bowers says:

HAPPIEST of HAPPY BIRTHDAYS to you Ingrid! It was so great to meet you you are my hero. What you have accomplished in your 60 years is breath taking! I turned 60 this yr. also but don’t have the contentment of achieving as much for animals as you have. THANK YOU for all you have done and for establishing the most productive brilliant efficient and accomplished of ALL animal rights organizations. Was SO impressed at PETA w your staff all that you do and how incredible everyone is! PETA ROCKS! Best Always Patty Bowers

• ayse tuncay says:

Happy birthday ngrid! Thank you for animals and people!

• Shari says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are the best! Ingrid you have changed the world and gave us hope and the will to make the diffrence for each little animal that comes our way. We now know that ONE PERSON CAN AND DOES MAKES THE DIFFRENCE in the lives of these animals. Today I rescued two little kittens and found a shelter that wouldn’t kill them. So I hope that will be a little gift to you for your birthday and for these little innocent kittens!

• Susan Boyd says:

Have a wonderful birthday Ingrid! Best Wishes to you always. Susan Animal Lover!

• Brien Comerford says:

It’s sad to read that horses bulls donkeys and ponies are mistreated and neglected in India The spiritual homeland of Mahatma Gandhi.

• Penny says:

Dear Ingrid although I don’t know you personally I find you are in my thoughts quite often. I admire all you do for fellow creatures on this planet of ours Peace and Happy Birthday!

• Audrey Miller says:

Ms. Newkirk You are amazing with everything you do and such an inspiration!! Happy Happy Birthday and wishes for a dynamic 60th year Much Love A Miller

• Tammy says:

Happy Birthday Ingrid! You are truly my hero and an inspiration to all of us! Thank you for ALL your hard work and for being the reason that I am a vegan and animal rights activist today

• Monica says:

Happy Birthday! I admire you so much I am one of your biggest fans. And I hope some day I can work with you.

• Sam says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! You’ve spent 60 years undoing the wrong that people done to innocent voiceless animals. I’m a 25 year old college student and I hope someday I can do half as much for animals as you have in all these years. Thank you.

• Aneliese says:

Have a wonderful birthday Ingrid!