Iams Issues Major Recall After Dog and Cat Deaths

Written by PETA | March 17, 2007
iams dog food.gif
One of the Iams products recalled after animal deaths

They’ve been dying in the Iams labs, and now they’re dying in people’s homes. After an unknown number of cats and dogs died of kidney failure from eating tainted pet food, Menu Foods, which is a contract manufacturer for Proctor & Gamble’s Iams and Eukanuba brands, has recalled 60 million cans of pet food from stores nationwide. As a result, Proctor & Gamble has announced a major recall of certain types of its food throughout the country. You can learn more about the story here.

Proctor & Gamble is no stranger to killing dogs: They’ve been doing it efficiently and professionally for years, and they’ve developed numerous ways of getting the job done, such as cutting out huge chunks of muscle from their test subjects’ legs and leaving them to suffer for days before they die—as our investigation into Iams a couple of years ago discovered. Now, of course, boycotting Iams has taken on a whole new meaning since the company has shown

beagle.jpg
One of the dogs made to suffer in Iams’ tests

itself to be a real danger not just to the animals who suffer and die in silence (quite literally—dogs in Iams labs have been debarked so as not to bother the technicians with their cries for help) in Proctor & Gamble laboratories, but to the millions of households that feed their animals Iams food. You can find a list of pet-food companies that don’t test on animals here, and I’ll be sure to keep you updated when I get more information about this story.

Comments

• Iams almost killed my two cats says:

Ive been using Iams dry cat food dor quite some time. Recently my cat got very sick. AbOUT $800.00 LATER MY CAT IS RECOVERING SLOWLY….I recently decided to look at recalls and number on the cat food bags and there it is upc and #s match bags of cat food. Can you tell me why food was left on walmart or Petco shelves? Im going to go looking for a reimbursment of vet bills. I was also told that my cat will more then likely get lymphoma from constant inflammation….can they really get away with this. How can you keep bad products on the shelf….

• Andey says:

I am late to the game here, but I have a cat diagnosed with renal disease back in 2007. He used to eat the Iams kibble. I can’t help but think there was something in there that damaged his kidneys. He’s been stable until recently, but he is doing OK for now.

• Pay Per Click Management Services says:

This is really a sad story. People don’t realize that proper nutrition is just as important for animals as it is for humans. Giving animals the wrong kind of food can lead to all kinds of health problems. This has apparently been the case with Iams.

• Gene says:

I have lost a dog and two cats to liver and kidney problems I have spent almost $8000 dollars in vet bills. Also the pain I suffered frm loosing my best friends. Is there any law suit r class action going on?

• Iams killed my dog!!!! says:

Does anyone know if and how they can receive compensation for the loss of my pure breed? He died from kidney failure vomited lost hair skin turned black. At the end he lost 16 pounds and was bleeding out of his nose.

• CWalk says:

I purchased Iams mini chunks dog food a month ago and feed it to my dog we have had for the past 2 12 years. We have been feeding him Iams to our do the entire time of his life. The do is still alive. This new bag we started him has been making him throw up immediately after he eats it and now he has wet stool. I am not going to feed him this food anymore and I am calling Iams tomorrow.

• Dave says:

My dog got sick from the proactive minichucks green bag. Throwing up for 2 daysand bad diarrhea. Can’t believe such a well known company would do such a horrorable thing.Thank you to the people who really care about there pets and posted it on this site. I will never buy anymore of their products again.Hope its not too late for my dog…

• Misty White says:

I purchased IAMS Proactive Minichunks Green Bag 5 Days ago. I purchased this because they were out of my regular brand and I had heard of IAMS and it is at the Vets so I trusted it. How wrong I was 5 days in a row by dog is throwing up. I have stopped as of today realizing it must be the dog food. I did not think that these companies would sell food that could poison my pet.. still after all the recalls. However I found another post on another site where their dog got sick after eating the same product. Something is seriously wrong with IAMS. I am filing a complaint with IAMs and to my state Consumer Complaint. SHAME IN IAMS!

• indycar01 says:

worlds 1 pet food wysong.net

• samantha jones says:

omg! i couldnt believe this!! people buy iams as it says its the best for looking after your pet. people who buy iams are obviously animal lovers so how could they test their products on these poor animals and then knowily sell their products to animal lovers… they must of know this was going to come back around and bite them on the arse!

• Craig says:

I feed my cats “IAMS Weight Hariball Control Proactive Health” Dry food and one of my cats had renal failure and recently passed away. I don’t know what is to blame but that is the food she was eating. I have heard recalls on wet in the past but have not heard that the dry was involved in any recalls. If you have seen any recalls please post a link. I am concerned because I have another cat that I feed the same food to as I have for the past 5+ years.

• Dan says:

Has any one else fed a cat “IAMS WEIGHT CONTROL PROACTIVE HEALTH” DRY 10LB BAG and the cat had renal failure?

• Shaunna says:

thanks for this info I will deffiantly stop feeding my cat this product of food from now on

• Susan Morrisey says:

My dog is very sick and I’m wondering if it’s from Iams Weight Control Proactive Health which we gave her for the first time last night. She has thrown up a lot but also is stumbling and falling as if she’s drunk or had a stroke or something. Wondering if it’s related to the food…? Any help?

• denise ogden says:

i was one of the lucky ? ones.My pup and gusy are still with us. We feed them special food for their kidneys and have them checked regularly.Although they will never be curedfrom these murdersIAMSthey are still alive.I want this company to pay how can i help how do convict othersand not iams? they are murders gone free!!!! please let me know how to help them not get away with this!!! sincerely denise

• April says:

It’s been just over a year now. My baby Blue developed renal failure a week after buying him new Iams cat food…the same week the recalls came out. The vet gave him only a 20 chance to live. Today we received the results of his latest blood work and he is finally back into normal kidney levels. $4000 dollars a years worth of medicines prescription food and fluids under his skin is what it took to save my baby from what was supposedly a good brand of pet food. My vet no longer recommends Iams to anyone who comes to her office.

• Panchita #1 says:

This is so sad what they are doing to theae inicent creatures.

• audrey says:

My English Springer Spaniel lost all of the hair on his back while he was on an Iams Lamb and Rice diet. Following testing for glandular problems which came back clean I changed him to a holistic food diet. I also fed him Flax Oil Caplets and a dietary supplement rich in Omegas. Two months have now passed and a full coat of shining hair now adorns my dog’s back once again. Iams does not live up to its supposed reputation as a supplier of top nutrition for our canine friends. We must make the best decisions on their behalf and I will therefore never buy Iams again.

• paddy's mom says:

My dog died yesterday of complete liver failure. Was on Iams Weight contol food for the last few months. Vet said he had never seen anything like this?? Paddy was all I had left in the world. What will I do now?

• Jan says:

My two best friends died within two days of each other the 2nd week in January 2007. Both died of renal failure within 48hrs of the first symptoms. It began with weakness in the hindquarters stumbling and falling then excessive thirst and then vomiting. I had just opened a new bag of IAMs weight control and suspected the food. No recalls had begun at this time. My vet assumed that they got into antifreeze because of my location in the Adirondack Park. I am not convinced that it was not the food.

• Joleena Thomas says:

I just don’t understand why they would be doing some kind of weird testing. It doesn’t make sense. I love animals so very much but I’m also questioning why their name is being dragged through the mud. Maybe there are other motives by another company to gain business.

• Lourdes E. Chambers says:

Why isn’t these horrible IAM experiments top news in the media. I am furious!! What can I do to help expose these monsters?

• Xia Graham says:

I’m writting about animal abuse for my school paper thank you PETA