Humans Shoot Themselves in Mouse Fight

Written by PETA | July 10, 2008

bp3 / CC
mice.jpg

In an act of epic failure and cruelty, a Mendocino County, California, woman tried to handle the mouse problem in her trailer with a .44-caliber Magnum. The result: two injured people and several snickering mice.

Beyond her heavy-caliber lack of compassion for not realizing that mice can be controlled humanely (like, without the use of firearms in a small enclosed space), this woman gets extra points for managing to shoot two people by accident. Her domestic hunting expedition was cut short when she dropped the Magnum, causing it to fire. The bullet struck her in the kneecap (pwnd!) and went on to graze a nearby man’s groin (dbl pwnd!) before ending up in his pocket. Hard to know what to say, really!

I love Fox news, my preferred news source for all things weird, for closing the story by reassuring everyone that “[t]he mice escaped the shooting unharmed.”

If you run into this woman on the street, let her know we’ll be happy to send her a humane mousetrap to help her make a better decision next time, just in case her self-inflicted knee-capping wasn’t enough.

Posted by Sean Conner

Comments

• Anna says:

This Dr. Breen and S.Q. Susie Q or whatever just want to get on here and argue with people. Just ignore them.

• Antigone1000 says:

Aneliese As I said the other people actually I think it was just one other personhad the ability to at least get out of the way or better yet dissuade her from such a stupid idea yet chose not to. Having had a choice it seems to me they got what they chose.

• Aneliese says:

Antigone1000 I see your point. “If anyone should suffer as a result of this woman’s actions better it be her and anyone dumb enough not to try to stop her or at least get out of shooting range.” However those other people weren’t the ones with the gun. As far as I know they weren’t the ones trying to kill mice by shooting them so why should those people have to get shot? Of course the mice shouldn’t have gotten shot and thank goodness they weren’t but what did those two other people do wrong? How did they deserve to be shot? Who knows maybe they were trying to stop her and in the process were injured. I’m just trying to say that I don’t think anyone or thing should have gotten shot here and neither the people or mice deserved it more or less.

• Judith says:

BreenCochran The Sybil’s Good lord but you are dummies! When I was referring to “WE” I was speaking of my family. The Children’s group we give to is Easter Seals as they conduct “NO” experiments on animals. Peace for all animals!

• kaiha says:

wow what retarded thing to do i guess is serves the stupid bitch right for trying to get rid of a mouse so inhumanely !!!!!

• Antigone1000 says:

Lynda Very good point about the intended victim being a child. Unfortunately for most people speciesism is so entrenched they can’t envision anything beyond animal inferiority.

• Antigone1000 says:

Aneliese That is exactly my sentiment. If someone has to suffer as a result of your consequences better it be you than an innocent victim. If you drive drunk and hit a sober driver and someone has to die should it be the drunk driver or the sober driver?? If the State can either take the life of Ted Bundy or risk him murdering other innocent people should we not take his life??? If anyone should suffer as a result of this woman’s actions better it be her and anyone dumb enough not to try to stop her or at least get out of shooting range than the innocent animals. What did the mice do wrong??

• Roxanne says:

Fox News is a joke and racist. why would anyone love Fox News. Anyhow his woman got what she deserves. Why shot at someone that is unarmed??? Because she is a callous person who got what she deserves. Maybe now she think twice before shooting at anyone.

• Tigress says:

I have news for you. This is America and we have a right to our opinions. It’s not fair to say people can’t criticize you yet you say you can criticize them all you want. You should listen and respect those people’s opinions even if they don’t agree with yours. I’ve been around animals for most of my life and I studied them with my zoology classes in the field. I can tell you the animal world is very ugly. Most animals don’t have loving families. For most mammals the bond between mother and young is severed permanently once the young can fend for itself. Heck mother mink have been known to allow their young to eat them alive if their milk ran short. The world isn’t black and white and not everyone is going to agree with you. You’re just going to have to deal with people who don’t agree with the animal rights philosophy and I happen not to agree with it. Call me an ignorant redneck with no compassion for animals because I don’t. I don’t care. I know in my heart farmers and fur farmers wouldn’t be in business for long if they abused their animals. The same goes for zoos and marine parks. All of them would be shut down if they abused their animals. Farmers raise animals because they love them and they know high quality care produces healthy animals for food. By the way there is a dark side to everything. Before you judge something do research on ALL sides and then decide what you want to think. I’m not forcing my opinions on you so don’t force your opinions on me.

• Judith says:

Tigress what dream world are you living in? I would love to find it! Tell me please! Peace for all animals!

• Judith says:

Hi Tabitha Goodness yes we support Children groups also. We see what these human babies go through. Children and animals have no voice of their own they are voiceless and we must protect them. We also help single mothers. Our administration wants nothing to do with them. They blame them for getting in that situation it makes our blood boil. But this is a Animal Rights site. And people are always coming her to attack us and we must continue the good fight here. Peace! Peace for all animals!

• Dar says:

People laugh at stupid people always. This is no different so quit your whineybutt holierthanthou highhorse ‘it’s not funny’ BS! And it WAS funny.

• lynda downie says:

Oh c’mon lighten up! I bet you people who grab any and every opportunity to criticize Peta chuckled initially at the irony in this story. But would you be so quick to preach at us if the woman was aiming at a child and accidentally shot off her own kneecap? Would that be appropriate poetic justice? Keep on keepin’on Judith and Antigone!!!

• lynda downie says:

Loved your post Kelly July 10409PM

• Mark says:

Tigress The concepts behind animal rights as I see it is that the unquestioned assumption that the suffering of members of other species should not be taken seriously is a kind of prejudice with a similar psychological basis to prejudices against groups of humans called “speciesism” by philosophers. Our common ancestors with chimpanzees lived only 500000 generations ago and it’s the sheerest evolutionary coincidence that there aren’t other species alive today with the cognitive abilities of humans but we have been taught to believe that all other species exist for our use just like whites were taught blacks existed for their use. If “moral responsibility” were really a barrier to having rights we would have to deny rights to human children and the permanently intellectually disabled. I think the ability to be harmed is what has really always been considered relevant. Click my name for the best information source on animal rights the author of which was hired to be the Professor of Bioethics at Princeton University as a result. As for the sources for the treatment of animals there is a perfectlysources compilation of everything about factory farming at the Humane Society’s website HSUS.orgfarmresourcesresearch …with this there is no way to deny that absurd levels of animal abuse ARE the norm. I do not think this is an issue of personal opinion any more than whether or not blacks should be slaves is an issue of personal opinion. It is wrong by the very same principles. Casey G No PETA does not take the position that nonhuman animals should be placed above humans. That is just as wrong as placing humans above nonhuman animals but not more wrong. Again the point is extending the harm principle to nonhuman animals not political rights or anything like that just not to cause suffering for trivial reasons. Hope all this helps clear all this up a little!

• Mark says:

I know PETA generally like 99.99 of the time knows EXACTLY what it’s doing in terms of getting maximum positive attention for animals so I’m sure this blog post was wellthoughtout HOWEVER… I’m ALL for comparing factory farming with human slavery and genocide because speciesism IS racism and with getting naked to get attention etc. HOWEVER… …this just SEEMS like THIS is going to be WAY more ammunition against PETA than good attention for animals. HOWEVER if it DOES bring attention to humane mouse traps which is the goal as always what can I say?

• Aneliese says:

Well said S.Q. and I don’t see why someone who is an “animal rights” person can’t care about the welfare of humans as well. The point is that people were shot by that woman and the message I got from PETA was better those two people than the mice. That’s just not right.

• Antigone1000 says:

S.Q. People always laugh when other people do stupid things. It’s Americawe like everyone else have the right to express our opinions whether or not they agree with yours. PETA lets YOU just like every other antianimal person with an inferiority complex express your unpopular opinion on here don’t they? As far as UNICEF and any other human charity keep in mind that most of them promotefund animaltesting and those that donate food always donate dead animals. Sowhat is a greater harm?? Mutilationdeath or unpopular opinion?? You choose…….

• Susan T says:

Tigress You must have been away from Planet Earth for quite a while now. You are so incredibly out of touch with reality. Whatever farm you visited is probably one in a millionmost farms are living nightmares for animals. You need to take a tour of the average hog farm spend some time at some of the dairies in central California and pay a visit unannounced to a fur farm slaughterhouse etc. The woman who shot herself and the man with her is a complete and utter moron! Her weapon of choice is similar to the tongueincheek phrase “like cutting butter with a chain saw!” Boy! She really “made our day!”

• Michelle Watts says:

I think that the point that PETA is making regarding the woman accidentally shooting two people by a shotgun due to attempting to kill mice in her home demonstrates the lack of intelligence and complete disregard that human beings have for lives that are not human. People need to understand that no life is more important than another because you are higher on the food chain. We should not have to make a decision whether a person is more valuable than another living thing…it should be apparent that all things are important and serve a purpose for each other. Human beings do not have any right to treat something that they feel is not as precious as them…we should all treat all things with the respect and dignity because that is how we would want to be treated.

• yvonne says:

this woman is LETHAL with a shot gun in her hand.. mice in her abode or not!! the joke is on her.. and it’s really hard to try and sympathise with a woman so blatantly clumsy and so evidently incompetent whilst manhandling or attempting to operate such a dangerous and lethal firearm!! maybe it was the shot gun trying to teach her a lesson.. ie. hands off!.. you are not competent nor safe enough to handle firearms!!! the mice in her abode is another matter.. ps. Ms Clumsy with firearms now that hopefully you’ve put that shot gun safety away.. and hopefully never to use ever again or cause yourself or some other person a nasty injury. ..pls don’t forget to use humane mousetraps!..

• Susanne says:

I can’t believe i’m actually responding to the asinine comments posted by tigress…but someone needs to point out the idiocy of it. First off believing that animals shouldn’t have rights because they don’t understand the concept of morals is rediculous…do you believe the same should apply to humans that are incapable of understanding morals because of mental retardation? Suffering is suffering and rights should not only apply to those you think deserve them. As for the one farm you visited before defending animal agriculture maybe you should visit an actual factory farm not that they would allow you access…but maybe you could get a nice job on the kill floor. That should convince you or stop pretending you don’t believe what you see in PeTA’s undercover footage to be true. You know it is. Oh and by the way I may be mistaken but i’m pretty sure PeTA is not actually happy that a possibly innocent bystander was shot by this woman…ever heard of sarcasm? Of course if the bystander wished for the woman’s success in shooting the mice I must say that I believe his injury was well deserved.

• S.Q. says:

PETA may be an AR organization but that gives you no right to disregard humans. You don’t see UNICEF posting things about how that dog tried to eat a family’s grain and got a slap in the headso funny hahaha. When you are an organization that promotes fair treatment to living things you are a hypocrite when you laugh at injured humans. Yes the lady was not so bright but when people get shot it does not become a laughing matter. Even when mice are saved.

• william says:

get glue traps. i have a few of them in my basment of my house.

• Tabitha says:

Judith..we not allowed to support both?

• Casey G says:

So basically Niranjan and others you’re saying you would choose an animal over a person? I hope that this isn’t an accurate representation of PETA this article nor your comments and the comments of a few others. If it is this is a very sick place.

• Tigress says:

It is really sick of you people to be cheering someone who accidentally shot themselves in the foot while going after mice. Yes there are more humane ways of trapping mice but it is sick to cheer when someone gets hurt going after them. That is inhumane in itself. In my view animals don’t have rights because they don’t understand the concept of moral responsibility. They don’t think like us or have the ability to reason. Most animals do not have the same emotional attachment to their young as we do. For example a tigress leaves her cubs once they are old enough to fend for themselves. Her bond with them is permanently severed and when she meets them again they’ll be competitors for her territory or her food sources. All of those videos I’ve seen of horrible animal cruelty on farms and fur farms for PETA’s website I see a lots of things wrong with them. Many of them have problems with sound or contain strange cuts. They also lack the sources of where they are from. When that happens I don’t trust them. I visited a farm that was a part of my college campus and the animals were never treated like they were on a factory farm of which are rare in the farming industry. The cows had pasture to roam in as did the horses. The pigs had large pens to move around in. Skinning an animal alive for its fur isn’t normal practice. I’m not a fan of fur but this procedure is difficult and very dangerous. Not to mention it ruins the fur. Abuse ruins the quality of fur as well. The same goes for meat. It’s true there is some animal abuse in these two industries but they are not the norm. If farmers and fur farmers didn’t care about their animals and abused them they wouldn’t be doing what they do. You people need to understand not everybody is going to agree with you. This is America and we have a right to have a different opinion. You want to support PETA go ahead. I won’t stop you but don’t whine and complain when someone doesn’t agree with you. It’s not fair to tell someone that they have no right to disagree with you and that they are stupid when they don’t.

• Judith says:

For those of you that can’t read PETA is an Animal Rights organization if you care about the people part so very much please feel free to join the Peace Corps or the United Nations. They would be thrilled to have you! This site is for animal rights and the people that support them. That not too awfully hard to understand now is it? Good so go away! Peace for all animals!

• Niranjan says:

“I agree with Aneliese it seems PETA cares more about animals than actually people and that is just sad.” Oh Plz! Get a life! This lady is a nut case using gun to kill mice! There are soooo many humane ways to control mice…

• Megan says:

I think it is pathetic that people are posting comments about how PETA loves animals too much! Yeah well guess what PETA stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of ANIMALS NOT PEOPLE!!!

• maeghan says:

ugh. please dont praise fox news… they are the worst and well known for lying and twisting stories. oh and lets not forget the horrible bill o reilly. come on who is writing these blogs?!?!

• brandie r. says:

This woman sounds like a real winner. I do appreciate that you mentioned that there is a humane way to get rid of mice when they become pests. I often see on this site that people think we should just accept the way everything is and not deal with problems. When people ahae a rodent problem I believe it is ok to exterminate them but yes in a humane fashion. Thank you for pointing out that there is a humane way of getting rid of her mouse problem instead of harping on her for wanting to get rid of them in the first place. Why would she choose to use something so powerful? Obviously we can tell she isn’t the brightest crayon in the box.

• Adi says:

duh. that lady’s completely stupid. shot herself. haha.

• Antigone1000 says:

Derek This IS an AR website so forgive us if we seem too animalfriendly. If you’re so upset about these people being injured blame the woman at faultdon’t give people a hard time for recognizing when someone gets what they deserve. No one posting on this blog did anything wrong but the idiot with the gun sure did.

• Monika says:

LOL! Yaay mice! 3

• Derek says:

• bill rogers says:

The Darwin Awards are not tied to an organization which needs respectability to accomplish a real purpose. This would have been appropriate for that site but it isn’t for this one. Schadenfreude has nothing to do with PETA’s mission and in fact hampers it.

• Curtis says:

Thanks for posting this. Stupid lady. She ought to put her gun away and get a Smart trap! P.S. I love FOX News too!

• Kelly C. says:

WOW. how dense can you be? shootong little mice with a shotgun!?!?

• S.Q. says:

Beautiful? Two humans getting shot is beautiful? Aneliese is on the right track. Mocking injured people is just plain low. Yay the mice were saved but when you go on to disregarding human life you just become sick and stupid.

• Judith says:

What goes around comes around and poetic justice. I love it!!! This is great! Guns should be outlawed. Peace for all animals!

• Ana says:

How bizarre!!! Trying to kill mice she manages to hurt others. Whew what is this fear for mice???? They are so small and are so fearful of us and have reason to be. I hope the mice got away!

• Tom says:

Talk about poetic justice.

• Sinon Robert says:

well aneliese you would hate to see the wildly popular Darwin Awards website then. for you other folks i’m pretty sure this is most of you who take pleasure in seeing idiotic acts meet injurious ends check out http://www.darwinawards.com . note that their slogan is “chlorinating the gene pool”

• Aneliese says:

I love animals and PETA but PETA are you kidding me? “…this woman gets extra points for managing to shoot two people by accident.” That’s a horrible thing to say. Yet again I’m wondering if this organization that has so much compassion for animals has any for people. Would it have been an awesome “pwnd” for you guys if the two people were killed?

• rachel says:

i am terrified that she has access to a gun.

• kelly says:

The mice were telling her that she has an opening in her trailer that needs to be sealed because it also is letting heat and air conditioning out and costing her money. She should thank those mice! Then hire someone to block up the holes humanely trap the mice and release them and start to think about how to spend the money she’s been wasting on her utilities.

• keith says:

What goes around comes around.

• jess says:

that’s beautiful.

• beth says:

doesn’t she realize how fast little mice scurry around?.. shot gun?.. who does she think she is?.. some kind of ‘super gun slinger’?? looks like she doesnt’ even have plain basic common sense let alone basic awareness of other forms of ‘pest’ control ie. humane mouse traps..!