Honey Bunch! Not Honey Baked!

Written by PETA | July 8, 2008

reuters / CC
strong_pig.jpg

Oh, how I do love a tearjerker with a happy ending! So here’s a lovely one for you: A tenderhearted businessperson in China, named Fan Jianchuan, recently took in a resilient pig who survived 36 days without food after May’s devastating earthquake in Sichuan. With the deepest appreciation for Fan’s generous pledge to care for Zhu for the rest of his days, our friends over at PETA Asia-Pacific honored Fan with a Compassionate Action award.

The little pig, named Zhu Jianqiang or “Strong Pig,” was trapped under rubble and emaciated after only eating charcoal and drinking rain water to survive!

In light of the tragic Midwest floods—in which pigs swam for days to get to safety, only to be shot to death, which is just one horror story among so many—the rescue of Strong Pig from the rubble of such a devastating natural disaster is a beautiful glimmer of hope, right? I told you this was heartwarming. These pigs—who were supposed to be slaughtered in two parts of the world where pork is a staple food—desperately struggled for their lives right along with humans, and it leave no doubt as to pigs’ commonality with us.

While knowing that this little guy has a safe place to lay his head from now on is reason enough to love this story, I’ve got to admit to the little kick that I get out of thinking about the folks who view these intelligent beings as no more than “food” getting a glimpse into the human-like quality of their dinner.

Posted by Missy Lane

Comments

• lynda downie says:

Jay There’s an important difference between fair disputation and being pedantic nitpicking. Obviously Antigone must eat to live. All of us who genuinely care about animals want to both grow in our awareness of how our choices impact them and to live as compassionately as we are able. Antigone is a much needed shot in the arm and a breath of fresh air. I am committed to individuals whose suffering is as dire and important as those in Mozambique and Zimbabwe. But please feel free to go where your heart is drawn.

• lynda downie says:

Thank you Maya.

• Antigone1000 says:

Jay These debates are nebulous to you because they don’t affect you. You are not the one suffering while others debate what level of suffering is acceptable for you to endure. I am quite sure the animals do not find these issues to be nebulous.

• jay says:

Lynda Antigone does not show “zero tolerance” to animal abuse of any kind. As a direct result of every meal she takes animals die from tilling the soil to cutting down forests for arible land. She just cant see the middle ground. This is not never never land. It is only in the first world that conversations like this even happen. I would encourage you to spend some time in Mozambique or Zimbabwe and get some perspective on what suffering is. I doubt we would be having these nebulous debates.

• S.Q. says:

Antigone I’m sorry but I can’t say I know the genders of all ancient dieties. Apologies for mistaking you. I have to wonder why you keep coming here when you obviously hate me so much. I wouldn’t think you’d waste your time on those filthy animal hating omnivores that are polluting the planet. But I suppose you are like your name “unbending.” PS Pedophilia is not a ‘lifestyle’ per se it is a crime. Just as a rapist’s lifestyle is not ‘sexual assault.’ I come here to read think about issues and write my opinion. No one’s opinion is wrong they are simply different. I’m sorry we don’t agree and I’m sorry you feel so bitterly about our conflicting points of view. As a wise man once said “Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins.” So I will not judge you. That’s the end of it. Have a good day Antigone. Thank you for your point of view. I have seriously considered it. Thank you.

• Maya, CVT says:

Thank you Lynda you’re my friend and I’d hate to lose that! In any case you’re a very peaceful centered person!

• Antigone1000 says:

Maya I have no interest in calling a truce. I stand by all I have said to you. You try to portray yourself as something you are not and you carelessly spread lies about people for whom I have great respect. If you lie again I will correct you again.

• Antigone1000 says:

S.Q. When you get some spare time read up on the classics. Antigone like myself was a woman. And no I don’t respect any lifestyle that condones mistreatment of animals. Sorry. I’m sure pedophiles think I should respect their lifestyles as well but I have standards.

• lynda downie says:

Ok that’s fair Maya. You have to be true to yourself. I know that you show great patience with meat eatersgently persuading them to consider vegetarianism. And it’s your right to see Antigone as you do. For my part I see Antigone as one who speaks directly in defense of animals without the usual social formality that makes the message more palatable. Antigone shows zero tolerance for any animal abuse including using their bodies for food without compromise. The animals we are fighting for deserve our best voicespersuasion and direct opposition to their abuse.

• S.Q. says:

Antigone Just pointing out a fact to the contrary. I dislike it when people say I am evil and terrible when in fact no one can be 100 compassionate. I try my best and it is an insult when people like you try to degrade my efforts. Enough said. Lynda Antigone may not like my lifestyle but he should respect my opinions even if they differ from his own. He doesn’t have to like me but when I speak my mind if he chooses to disagree he should at least do so in a respectful manner. Disagreeing and insulting are two different things. Wouldn’t you agree with that? And after being degraded and treated with no respect I think it’s not a crime if I call him immature.

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

Hi Lynda? You said it perfectly. Antigone treats people here like animal abusers. SQ and I have been spoken to in an extremely disrespectful manner. I’m an extremely kind person but I’m not a fucking doormat. If Antigone wants to call a truce then fine. To me a truce would mean that Antigone can still disagree with me but in a respectful way. Maybe you can pass on what that word means because you certainly understand it. Otherwise I will assume Antigone is mentally ill and I will not respond any more. It’s the best thing to do with people who can’t control themselves.

• lynda downie says:

S.Q. What about the animals and their habitat that would be razed for the pasture for these animals? Many animals need forested areas. Creating pasture land costs lives too. And don’t you think calling Antigone a 10 yr old is an insult? Kurt what bigotry are you accusing Antigone of? your bigotry knows no bounds huh? And Maya I do respect you but implying Antigone is a psychopath is unfair. Personally I enjoy Antigone’s posts and have learned from them. Honestly if I were still eating animals when I knew it caused them pain and death I wouldn’t have respect for myself. I wouldn’t be insulted by Antigone’s words. If Antigone is wrong for not respecting animal abusers then how can we justify disrespecting child abusers rapists etc? They’re humans too.

• Antigone1000 says:

Kurt K I am not antihuman. I think very highly of some humans you just happen not to be one of them. If you want to stop being antianimal I might like you better. If not don’t expect to ever gain my friendship or respect AND stop complaining about it.

• Antigone1000 says:

S.Q. I don’t forego doing something simply because I cannot do it perfectly. However to the extent that I CAN control what I do I do the very best I can to have no negative impact on animals in my daily life. Most of us simply do nothing. We think the tiniest thing we do is significant for animals. Like when you talk about your pets. Treating your pets well does not make you an “animallover” any more than treating your children well makes you a humanitarian.

• S.Q. says:

Alright Maya I will take your advice but one more word to Antigone. Have you ever considered the millions of insects and small animals are killed every year from growing vegetables? “Moreover even if the relative number of animals killed were the morally decisive issue veganism might not be the most ethical solution. In 2001 S. L. Davis of the Department of Animal Sciences at Oregon State University Corvallis wrote a paper claiming that the diet most likely to result in the deaths of the fewest animals would be beef lamb and dairy not vegan. Davis found a study that measured mouse population density per hectare in grain fields both before and after harvest and estimated a harvest casualty rate of ten mice per hectare. Then he multiplied that figure by 120 million hectares of farmland in the U.S. meaning that 1.2 billion mice would die each year in food production if America became a wholly vegan country. Next he estimated the number of animals that would be killed if half of our fields were dedicated to raising grass eating forage animals cows calves sheep lambs etc. from which to obtain meat. He found that there would Be 300000 fewer animal deaths .9 billion annually from such an omnivorous diet than the number of deaths 1.2 billion mice that would be caused from a universal vegan diet.” How many lives have you negatively impacted Antigone?

• Kurt K says:

Antigone we just like Maya because she is not antihuman like you seem to be! Your bigotry knows no bounds. You hate me because of my lifestyle and you freely admit that. To bad there isn’t a National Socialist Party in America you can join. You’d fit right in! Of course you would have to shave your head though!

• Maya, CVT says:

LOL SQ don’t bother. Just ignore Antigone who obviously has mental health issues. Would we argue with a psychopath? No it would be a waste of time. I suggest you ignore this poor chap who can’t even spell things correctly. We won’t learn much from Antigone.

• Antigone1000 says:

S.Q. Murdering animals because you like the taste is not my idea of respect. And I absolutely do not think eating meat is a personal choice. Your right to your choices ends when you negatively impact someone else’s rights. There is nothing respectful in exploiting animals. Of course you like Maya because she tells you it is okay to exploit animals. I won’t tell you that.

• S.Q. says:

Antigone Have I ever said that I disrespect animals? No. I said that I want slaughter methods changed in favor of the animals’ comfort and wellbeing. I don’t really see how that is disrespecting animals. Oh wait I said that is was my personal choice to be an omnivore. I guess personal choice and freedom is disrespect. Oh and as well I enjoy how I try to be fair and respect your opinions but you just pull out slander and insults. How old are you? Ten? I don’t think you’ve ever met me so how can you label me? I have three wonderful dogs and a cat and I treat them with great respect. I volunteer at my local animal shelter and treat the animals there with great respect. I treat my vegan friends with respect they have a right to their own beliefs and lifestyle. I buy free range meat eggs and dairy because I want to reduce the suffering of farm animals. And I treat you with respect Antigone because you also have the right to your own beliefs and lifestyle. But you do not have the right to insult and degrade people simply because of the what they choose to eat or expressing their own opinions. You are not better than me and I am not better than you. Although judging from our comments maybe you ought to rethink how you treat other people. I did not insult or judge you. Why don’t you try kindness for a change? You could learn from Maya.

• Antigone1000 says:

S.Q. I have no respect for those humans who show no respect to animals. Don’t cry about people disrespecting you while you continually disrespect animals. How does it feel??

• S.Q. says:

Antigone Your comments probably have helpful information yes I decided to read your comment but the way you phrase them makes them degrading and rude. I’m assure you I will listen if you acted more fair and grown up. Spitting insults and slander does not command anyone’s respect in my book. At least I try to be fair in what I say something you seem to be unable to grasp. You claim to be compassionate but until you show respect to your fellow humans as they show to you you are nothing of the sort. I hope you consider this. Thank you.

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

Thanks S.Q.! Of course “omnivores” are not evil. That’s silly. If that were true I’d be at least as evil for driving a car and systematically killing off endangered polar bears. Show me a saint and I’ll show you someone who is really living inside a glass house. Each day we make choices and what we put in our bodies is one of those personal choices that must be determined by the individual. The more respect we show towards those around us the more respect we are giving our bodies. It’s a balance that has given me optimal health and I love to hear that folks like you are willing to try vegan food!

• Karen says:

Uhhhhh……. believe me if you guys were starving you would eat each other and it Strong Pig was with you you would have eaten him before anyone else. You may not like it but it’s true. As far as I know anything that lives and isn’t a plant of course will go to almost any lenght to survive. Anyway I am happy to hear that someone adopted Strong Pig. P. S. Oh look we have more life stories being made up here! In case you don’t know that’s when someone says something like “You probably grew up getting raped by your uncle and beaten by your parents and that’s why you’re so bitter”

• S.Q. says:

Lynda Of course I agree that humans should use methods that are the least cruel possible when dealing with animals. I just don’t think “total animal liberation” is logical or right.

• Antigone1000 says:

S.Q. My comments are only helpful if i you get them and ii you are actually here to learn something. Since you don’t meet either criteria I think you are wise to skip my responses.

• lynda downie says:

S.Q When I skimmed your comment and saw “It’s a hierarchy. Not all animals are on the same plain…Top..chain” I assumed that you were referring to “the great chain of being” that puts humans at the top of a hierarchic order of all nature which is a misinterpretation of evolution. Mixing my ‘chain’ metaphors After a reread of course I agree that food is recycled through nature. But I disagree that it justifies humans killing animals when there are noncruel alternatives.

• S.Q. says:

Maya Thank you for the info. I always appreciate how kind you are in your responses. It shows you do not think all omnivores are terrible people. I do have some very good vegan friends and some of the food they make for me is delicious. I do enjoy trying out different vegan restaurants with them. But as it is my personal choice I decide to stay an omnivore. I do want slaughter methods changed in favor of the animals’ comfort and wellbeing but I am not in favor of stopping all human consumption of meat. Antigone Your response is probably going to be rude and unhelpful as expected. So I won’t bother reading it. Have a good day.

• Antigone1000 says:

S.Q. Omnivore means you CAN eat meat not that it’s best for you. I suppose God made us that way in the event that we were stranded with nothing to eat but flesh. However on a given day that is not the case and we have access to plenty of nonflesh food products. Since we do not NEED meat to live and since there is an unacceptable amount of cruelty and suffering involved in eating it and since as you point out although I’m not sure I agreewe have a higher sense of morality we really need to stop eating meat not so much for US humans but for THEM animals. I know I knowan unselfish act might be hard for you to stomach but just think about it.

• Maya, CVT says:

Hi SQ! I understand and respect what you’re saying. I just want to point out that we usually speak about what’s “natural” only when it’s convenient for us. Somewhere in PETA’s FAQs I’d have to poke around to find it they clearly state that they have no objection to native peoples who live off the land killing animals for food. But you and I are hardly there are we? If we want to discuss intsinct do raccoons surf the internet? Do crows get pacemakers when their hearts give out? What about bears where is the bear Sephora so they can lather on lipstick when spending a night in Manhattan? Good lord we live in a totally artificial world. Yet when it comes to morality we are suddenly wild beasts drooling over and craving bloody flesh. Let’s get real meat animals are treated worse than almost any creature out there. They are denied the most basic physical comfort and are tortured every minute. Suddenly when we are asked to show a little kindness we are beasts roaming the planet. I will point out SQ that if everyone in America ate vegetarian just 3 or 4 times a week it would save millions more than just a handful of people eating vegetarian all the time. So as far as I’m concerned get 10 or so of your friends and family to try vegetarian 4 times a week. All will be healthier. Most importantly cows chickens pigs etc will not be kept in tiny enclosures and treated like pond scum. They deserve at least some reprieve from how they are treated. ps Please if you have time read this short blog from a butcher cook who prepares meat. He was a food network contestant httpwww.offalgood.comsiteblogresourcesthisischeapmeat

• S.Q. says:

Maya I understand that humans are unique in that we have a higher sense of morality than other animals. However you have to note that we are designed to be omnivores. The shape of our jaws teeth and our ability to perform Gluconeogenesis extracting carbs from meat says we are not natural herbivors. Not saying that we can’t be vegetarians but that there is no proof that we should not eat meat. Just because humans are “more advanced” does not mean that we have to stop the basic insticts we are born with. We are animals and so we have evrey right to eat meat as a crow a bear or racoon would.

• Maya, CVT says:

SQ Hi there Sorry to speak for Lynda and I hope she does not mind but she’s right. We are all animals. As for your point that is a debate over moral sense and adaptabiltiy. Lions and tigers are obligate carnivores and cannot survive on a vegetarian diet. Humans do well on a vegetarian diet and more importantly we have an astoundingly good grasp on nutrition and preventative medicine. No other animal on Earth could ever rival our nutritionoal knowledge. We also have more understanding of suffering. Obviously a bear has no ability to understand mortality. Other animals don’t have the ability to put themselves inside the head of another. That kind of empathy is unique to humans and we should try using it once in a while. Peace.

• kristina ann says:

antigone1000 you are right on.

• S.Q. says:

Lynda downie No hierarchy? So bears lions tigers and humans and mice should all live in happy love land eating salads? Reality is no matter what theories say when you look at nature and animal behavior life is a food chain. That’s the truth. Get your head out of the clouds.