Help Us Out, K-Fed

Written by PETA | October 5, 2007

IEN.jpgWhen historians finally compile the collected correspondence of Ingrid Newkirk, Britney Spears, and Kevin Federline into a bound, faux-leather 3-volume set, this one’s going to be one of the highlights, in my humble opinion. Yesterday, PETA’s president faxed the following missive to K-Fed asking him to please remember that Britney’s unlimited capacity for neglect extends to canines too.

As I may have mentioned before, Britney has an extremely unpleasant habit of stopping by the pet store on the way back from the wigmaker’s (or wherever it is she spends her time these days) to pick up new puppies, drag them around until she gets sick of them, and then abandon them. Well, since she hasn’t exactly been taking good care of her children either, we think it’s only reasonable that she let them bring their companion animals along when they go to K-Fed. You can read Ingrid’s letter below.

msnbc/Creative Commons
Kevin_Federline.jpg

October 4, 2007

To: Kevin Federline, c/o Nina Nisenholtz, N2N Entertainment
From: Ingrid E. Newkirk, PETA

Dear Mr. Federline:

We know that this is a particularly difficult time for you and your children. We are writing to you today to urge you to amend your filing with the court to also seek consideration for your children’s bond with the companion animals they have come to know and to request that the judge also grant you custody of these animals.

It is no secret that Ms. Spears’ impetuous “pet” purchases and lack of caretaking skills have been a serious concern of ours, in addition to being a source of public criticism. In 2006, Ms. Spears was “the overwhelming choice” for worst celebrity dog owner in a poll conducted by The New York Dog and The Hollywood Dog magazines. This past summer, Ms. Spears bought a Yorkshire terrier puppy from a pet store on impulse, only to casually tote the pup-London-around like an accessory. In recent weeks, the Los Angeles SPCA has investigated reports of Ms. Spears’ failure to provide adequate veterinary care for the tiny dog after he apparently suffered a fractured leg after being stepped on.

As a father, your main concern is the comfort and stability of your children. London and the other animals whom the boys consider to be a part of the family have provided that comfort and stability. The companionship of beloved companion animals can make a world of difference for the boys during this difficult time, and being separated from the animal friends whom they share a bond with is undoubtedly traumatic for them.

For the sake of your children and the animals who are at risk while in Ms. Spears’ custody, we hope that you will do the right and best thing for all involved and pursue a custody order for the animals so that your sons can continue to have the company of the animals they’ve grown to adore. If you have any other thoughts, we stand ready to assist you in placing the animals in a loving environment.

Sincerely,

Ingrid E. Newkirk
President

Comments

• Susannah S says:

Maybe one solution would be to award custody of children AND dogs to Britney’s mother while Britney is recovering? I wouldn’t know. I don’t know any of these people or how good their parenting skills are for kids OR dogs.

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

Judith If you can prove I have ever lived or practiced in TX or ever lost my license I will kiss your ass on main street and give you a week to draw a crowd. You are the perfect ambassador for PETA. Half cocked. Poorly Spoken. Ill Advised. Have a great day.

• Geoff says:

lj Callahan Shelley and John you guys win the prize today as the morons who made a variation on the old “this is my last donation to Peta” comment. Congratulations for being a bunch of alarmist idiots. A short letter to Kevin Federline was all it took to shake your hitherto unwavering faith in Peta’s work to protect animals. You stuck around through all the hard times at the beginning when Peta was a tiny group with an unpopular message of compassion for animals. You bore with them through the controversial demonstrations and investigations. You stood by during the tough times when the media turned against them. But now finally Peta have gone over the edge. Off the fucking deep end. A … letter … to KFed!!! Oh the humanity. How could Peta have betrayed you like this? Such callousness. Such cruel disregard for all that is precious in this world. Oh wait. My bad. It was actually just a fucking letter to KFed. Get off your high horses you firstclass douchebags.

• John says:

Seems to me the general consensus here is that you screwed up bad with that letter. Im sure peta can use all the donations it gets from animal lovers but maybe just maybe you wont get as many now because of your stupid letter to kfed. Serves you right for getting into something that was none of your business. I believe in what PETA stands for but not for this. No longer will I take up for peta.

• Judith, Freedom Fighter says:

DR. I’m right I am always right. Not a doubt in my mind.

• EAS says:

Even though it may be strange or silly that a letter was written to KFed to take custody of the dogs there is something to be said about people who can’t even take care of themselves. The real issue here is the children and the dogs and their well being. With that being said I firmly believe that neither Brittany nor KFed are mature enough to take care of the kids and the dogs. It scares me to think that just anybody can have a baby or adopt an animal. It is said that you need to have a license to drive a car you need to go to school to be trained in a field however the most important and difficult job in the world that being a parent or guardian does not require any training or a license. Now add Hollywood and young celebrities to the mix and you’ve got a disaster waiting to happen. Now I’m not saying that all people are bad parents nor am I saying that all those in Hollywood are unsuitable but the signs were clear before conception as this relates to Brittany’s behavior. Who really knows what goes on behind closed doors. There have been reports of animal abuse but we don’t know for sure. However if people can’t take care of their kids properly what makes you think they can take care of animals. On the flipside people who can’t take care of their animals should never have kids. So Ingrid is half right. The dogs should also be removed from Brittany’s care but should not go to KFed but to responsible family members as well as the children. Anyone who takes offense to these comments should look at the world’s events and the patterns that follow. I understand that nobody is perfect and everybody is doing the best they can until they know better but I personally believe that people should look at themselves before reproducing. I for one am not a parent and currently am without a companion animal I used to be the father of a beautiful cat who was emotionally affected by the fighting between myself and my exwife only because I’m working out my own issues. I don’t feel it’s fair to subject a child or an animal to our baggage. It’s fair to say that the domestication of animals was a mistake considering the fact that we are not evolved enough to be at peace with ourselves a peace we can share with our companion animals to bring one into a home with unresolved issues is not fair to those who enter. If anything Ingrid has put out a message that if we have issues to deal with we should free ourselves of any responsibility to another in order to heal properly. This is why the children have been taken. Why not give the dogs the same consideration. But to go to KFed. I don’t know. Maybe he’ll do a good job with the kids and the dogs however he should be watched. I’m just not convinced … yet. EAS

• Ariel says:

“And for what’s going on in her life right now Britney doesn’t need this crap!” PeTA is “headline grabbers.” redundant comments Interesting concepts. I would like the above commenters to convince me of all or any of the following 1. Britney has absolutely no control over her life so all the bad incidents were thrust upon her against her will and she couldn’t seek guidance because no one would give her any. So she can’t be held responsible for anything that goes on her life. 2. Britney totally shuns any and all headlines and publicity because she prefers to remain an anonymous celebrity. She hashowever publicly expressed outrage for all the noteriety in her life. 3. PeTA on the other hand and unlike Britney practically monopolizes all types of media coverage repeatedly. Now anyone might ask what do my comments have to do with animal rights? Answer nothing particular directly. But only to prove that the above types of antianimalPeTA commenters do not merit validity.

• Jami says:

Everyone knows how cruel kids can be to animals! They are horrible with small dogs! No wonder his poor foot got broken! I say put em up for adoption! I’ll adopt one! Neither one needs them!

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

Judith It sounds like you are about as good at research as PETA is. I have never lived or practiced in Texas. I am not old. well for a dog I am I have never had my license censured in any way. I am still practicing. I am very successful. My teeth are all my own. I do work in Missouri but I don’t live there. That’s all you got right. Keep fighting for freedom!

• Geoff says:

Where the fuck are all these “Leave Britney alone” people coming from? Don’t you guys have Algebra homework to do or something?

• Paul says:

I know Britney Spears has been a horrible mother AND pet owner but we still have to remember for the longest time we thought kfed was a bad influence for the kids and now that Britney has gone crazy he automatically looks like the “better” parent. Whats going to happen when Kfed messes up then is Britney going to be the better parent and pet owner?

• vivian says:

I would personally like to apologize to britany spears on behalf of these headline grabbers!!!! peta u have just destroyed your own reputations!!!! i cannot in good conscience support an organization that could be that publicly pety! if this is what they can do in front of the camera….what goes on behind it????

• Diana Struve says:

Michael “Dog Killing” Vick is more GUILTY of harming an animal than Britney Spears!

• Diana Struve says:

This is a joke. Unless you know what Britney is doing to her dogs you don’t know anything. And for what is going on in her life right now Britney doesn’t need this crap! If Peta wants to make anyone’s life a living hell and who really deserve it it’s Michael “Dog Killing” Vick and not Britney Spears!

• alisa says:

Wait…is Brit gonna have to pay pet support if Kfed gets the dogs?? Otherwise I dont c why someone like Kfed would want those pups unless they came with a nice sum of money. Just like the kids!!!

• Bryant says:

See it is retarded actions like these that make people think PETA is crazy. This is ridiculous.

• Christel Austin says:

now this is crazy. hes not after those dogs or kids hes after MONEY. How would we look under a spotlight? NOT TOO GOOD. WRONG MOVE PETA.

• Tamara says:

BTW can I just add…why all the ridicule about PETA being concerned for BritBrit’s dogs. Uh people. That’s what PETA does…takes care of animals. Ok she wasn’t dogfighting them like Michael Vick. But does what she did or didn’t dolike allegedly not get vet care with the dogs just as important? You can’t discriminate on the size of the dog. I guess that’s what’s going on. I don’t get it.I am glad PETA is concerned.

• Ariel says:

To the socalled PeTA supporters? who claim they are withdrawing because of Britney Spears etc. Questions 1. Is ANIMAL RIGHTS’ about supporting the animals OR is it about supporting Britney? 2. Is ANIMAL RIGHTS’ totally about helping the animals OR is it about what pleases and displeases YOU?talk about selfserving! Well when you donate to other “animal” orgs. please donate a LOT of money and don’t withdraw when you find out some trivial things like your donation will go towards supporting the lavish lifesytles of the CEOs who make a HUGE sixfigure salary as well as your donation will contribute to the CEOs extended wealthy panel and to other “important” friviolities instead of them spending it on publicized animal campaigns. don’t withdraw when you find out that some of those “animal” orgs. are financially supported by highlyinfluential wealthy ANTIANIMAL campaigners who have an agenda against animal rights’animal welfare and that the CEOs etc. know about them but keep them hidden from members. don’t withdraw if you learn the difference between animal rights’ and animal welfare orgs. please don’t get upset when it finally hits you that Britney does things for publicity! Shocking! to get money and perhaps not even once cent of it goes towards helping animals. and above all please don’t any of you get upset when you find out that Britney doesn’t even know that you exist.

• Shelley says:

I am very disappointed in this. I heard this on the news and I thought it was a lie. I am disappointed that I donated money to PETA now. I have been very impressed with the issues PETA has been fighting for but writing this letter to KFed is totally ridiculous. PETA spend your time on issues that matter like you have been. This totally crosses for me. I’m still shaking my head.

• Crystal says:

Ok first of all the SPCA made it public that the case of the pup with the fractured leg was already closed. In fact it was an openshut case. Britney proved that she took the necessary steps to care for the pup. I think that this is PETA trying to get attention to boost themselves. They are taking advantage of the situation that Britney is in and they should be ashamed of themselves. They have NO proof that Britney is not taking care of the animals. And also Kevin doesn’t give a lick about the puppys or probably even the kids for that matter. They are nothing more than dollar signs to him.

• Tamara says:

I believe BritBrit also bought a parakeet on one of her little pet shop visits… You should not have specified dogs only although I would not be surprised if the bird were dead already.

• carolyn says:

PETA is just trying to make sure that the dogs are gonna be taken care of Britney leads a destructive lifestyle just cause she has money does not mean she takes care of her dogs With Britney acting like a total lunatic the custody battle with the kids the dogs could easily be forgotten in this mess. Lay off bashing PETA their just making sure that the dogs are taken care of

• Judith, Freedom Fighter says:

The humane society is where I get my news on these subjects. And please don’t throw up. old men like yourself start throwing up and not only food comes with it but your teeth alsoYUK. I researched you you have been a very bad Dr. You were kicked out of texas for many not nice reasons.There were 12 on that list. I have been told you are now in Missouri. You are the worst kind of Dr there is. You can no longer practice medicine. LOSER I knew it.

• Joel says:

i think peta going after the dogs is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. i am a big supporter of peta and most everything they do. but i think that this is just a publicity stunt a way to get their name out there more. i know that britney may not be a fit mother or pet owner but for peta to attack her on her abilities especially when few people know her on a first hand and personal basis is wrong and in my opinion as immoral is the ill treatment of animals. but hey what do i know? i dont know how britney treats her dogs but i have a feeling neither does Ingrid Newkirk.

• Laura Argiri says:

This is a betweenarockandahardspot situation. Yorkies chihuahuas and other tiny dogs are actually not suitable for little children. They are at risk for being hurt in a household with kids of the prerational preempathetic age. The smaller the dog the more delicate far more delicate than a cat of similar size. These dogs are for careful knowledgeable adults who know how to provide a safe environment for them. In my household we have had a Yorkie rescued from a household in which a child had accidentally killed another Yorkie my housemate took the surviving dog home with him. This Yorkie lived to be fifteen years old extreme old age for a Yorkie but he never got over his nervousness of kids.

• danielle says:

leave britney alone!!!!! you people are so annoying. why dont you go and give some of your attention to other animals that truly need it. do you honestly think this is the most important thing right now. i think your just trying to get some publicity out of the britney spears thing. get over it!!!!!!

• Alex Mancias says:

This is one of the dumbest and lowest things I’ve ever seen PETA do for publicity. Huge mistake and extremely disappointing.

• Ruben M. says:

I think it’s pathetic and disgusting that PETA is jumping on the Britany train to draw attention to themselves. As if having her kids taken away wasn’t lesson enough. I’ve never seen her dogs endangered on camera in a way that would justify PETA now bringing the troubled pop star under attack. This is just a ploy for PETA to get in on the action. As an organization with a conscious PETA is not taking responsibility for the harm it is potentially inflicting on a person that is in poor mental health. Her dogs are probably the only support she has. As someone that has given money to PETA for the last few years I am becoming increasingly disgusted by your ways. I recommend you leave this one alone….

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

The fact that judith knows this dork’s views on dogs makes me laugh so hard I want to vomit up the salmon I had for supper. Thank goodness she’s a freedom fighter. I pretty sure the world will come to an end if Britney Spears gets to keep her dogs but I must admit I am not as up to date as Judith on this hot button issue.

• Wayne says:

Enough is enough !!! PETA’s contact with Michael Vick and KFed is done for only one purpose to get PETA’s name in the news. This latest media hype goes directly to the addage “There is no such thing as bad publicity”. If PETA’s primary goal is to stay in the news at all costs I guess the MV and KFed contacts make sense. However if PETA exercised any level of INTEGRITY towards it’s advertised “ethical treatment of animals” purpose there would be absolutley no media hype such as this. How many animals rights groups animal perserves rescue groups etc. are there in the United States that do nothing but positive ethical advertising and educating to further their causes ? Unfortunately PETA continues to show itself as nothing more than a radical group willing to say or do anything in many cases against it’s own cause to simply stay in the media and feed the egos of it’s leadership and “celebrity” spokespeople. ALL READERS please consider where your donations can best be used to protect animals. I think there are many legitimate causes and organizations today and PETA’s selfserving agenda disqualifies itself in my book. If you read this and other blogs for PETA there are many many “members” and contributors voicing opposition to these latest media stunts. PETA THINK are you really speaking for the majority of your members and contributors or acting like any other selfserving egotists who can’t help themselves !!!

• Shelley Vincent says:

What an ignorant suggestion that KFED have the tiny children around the tiny fragile Yorkshire terrier. That poor dog could be injured squeezed to death stepped on and God only knows what with a tiny baby playing with it. Most breeders that I have talked with do not allow purchases of tiny dogs by families with small children!

• patty bunce says:

That interview was not a good idea lady!!! My god who In the world told you to do that. Please FIRE THEM…. You want to be noticed please don’t use BS who is in the news Love you girl to get your voice on the news. I think Im going to up chuck right now.

• Amanda says:

Ingrid Seriously your acticually suggesting that the court take away Briteny pets.. Why?? Just because there seen out with her doesnt mean that shes abusive to them where your evidence dont you think shes been through enough already?? I listend to you call on ABC this morning and you Ingrid have no evidence or proof that Britney is abusive what so ever. Let her have her dogs because right now thats really all she has and her sons are young enough to bounce back from this I’ve worked with children for many many years and when there very young they dont get attached like we as adults do. Look just leave Briteny alone!! I just think that your orginaztion is after her money thats what everyone wants is her money just leave her and her animals the hell alone!!! Thank You

• Nat says:

God Bless You Ingrid and the PETA team for all that you have done and continue to do for amimals all over the world. I will never regret supporting you and what your organization stands for.

• John says:

Ive always thought PETA did good things and and although I didnt always agree with everything you did I knew in the long run it was for the best. Now you’ve went too far. To kick someone when they are down is showing that you are nothing but a bully and only wanting to get your name in the news. By jumping on the kick britney wagon you’ve actually did more hurt to your organization than to help it. Im sure you will see more fallout from this stronger than my commentsand I look forward to seeing it. How in the world you would think anyway that her dogs would be better off in Fedex’s hands than hers shows just how out of touch you are and how blind you can become when in the quest of publicity. Shame on you.

• 007 says:

entrusting little dogs with little children for any reason… are you sure?! is Kevin any more caring about animals than Britney… do you know?!

• Alana says:

You have to be kidding me! No court is going to grant custody of the dogs to Kfed. That’s the most stupid thing I have ever heard. She’s made some mistakes and she is trying to turn her life around. Do everybody a favor and get over it. So she wears fur and eats meat so does 80 of Hollywood. Move on and get off everybodies case!!!

• Ray-O says:

Man… Britney’s State is so pathethic right now that you’re asking KFed for help.

• ljcallahan says:

Dear Peta You have recieved my last donation. You have NO proof Ms Spears mistreats her pets. I”m sure with all her money they were well taken care of… It’s one thing to go after Michael Vicks its another just to throw stones!

• Maribel says:

I’m actually surprised that you guys would take such a reputable org. like PETA and have them stand behind such a ridiculous letter when this is such a sensitive subject. It seems immature alomost like “mocking” a very serious sensitive subject. I am very dissapointed as I have been an avid Peta supporter it seems you guys have made yourself look like a joke. Your cause was seriously misguided here.

• Erika says:

Can you just leave Britney alone? Those dogs are more atached to her than they are to the kids. If you are a smart person you would know that dogs hide from small children after a while because children play with them like they were a toy and they hurt animals.

• Judith, Freedom Fighter says:

You are so way off here. Many magazines have talked about how much KFed dislikes dogs. Two magazines are still asking where the little dog went when KFed moved back in. He HATES dogs do you get it. That dog has never been found. And this guy walks everywhere in his MANY FUR COATS. you are so wrong THIS TIME. What in Gods name is wrong with you???????????????

• Missy says:

I don’t think she should be allowed to have her dogs or any pet for that matter. She can’t take care of herself or her own children let alone a poor animal. Somebody needs to step in and save them as well and soon!

• JEN says:

Give me a break why does everyone want to keep dragging this girl down! so what she take her dogs around with her who cares? So do a lot of stars so do regular people. Im sure there are other animals that could use your involvement. the dogs dont belong to that unemployed looser so I dont think he could take them plus he couldnt get child support for dogs so Im sure he wouldnt be interested. Get real!

• Melissa says:

This is why people don’t take PETA seriously. Hell I don’t half the time.

• kelly says:

If anyone wants to see the kinds of places that Britney’s pet store and ALL the other pet stores buy their puppies from check out httpwww.prisonersofgreed.org A lot of them lie about it but all these pet store puppies come from puppy mills. ALSO the puppies sold through internet sites. They ship the puppy to you because they don’t want you to see the horrific kennels! Also most of the puppies sold through the classifieds they pretend to be private breeders and all the puppies sold in flea markets and roadside.

• Joan Ozelis Calpin says:

Ingrid and PETA are the best! The dogs should definitely stay with the boys they have become attached to them now and that family bond should never be broken apart.

• J says:

Way to use a guy’s kids. C’mon now that’s not right. Apply pressure to psycho Brit that’s fine but leave that man’s babies out of it!

• Mary says:

As if kevin federline would really be a good pet owner… This publicity stunt was very highly criticized by TMZ bloggers. A Defeat for PETA who could take those two seriously?