Help Shut Down the Chinese Fur Trade

Written by PETA | April 15, 2010

The following is a guest post from PETA Prime’s Steve Martindale.

Cats, dogs, raccoon dogs, rabbits, and other animals are skinned alive in China for their fur. This fur is exported to consumers in the U.S. and abroad and often dyed to look like the fur of other animals. It’s sometimes even deliberately mislabeled as synthetic! More than half the fur garments sold in the U.S. are imported from China, where more than 2 million cats and hundreds of thousands of dogs each year suffer through a miserable life and an excruciatingly painful death as victims of the fur trade. While other sources of fur are unconscionably cruel as well, few do as much as the slaughter of dogs and cats to shake consumers out of complacency.

The cultural and economic inertia driving the Chinese fur trade is daunting—but with your help, we can slow down this juggernaut through dedicated efforts to educate consumers about the true price of fur. We do see glimmers of hope, and you and I can take action right now in many ways. Our new Web site is helping to raise awareness about the cruelty involved in the bloody fur industry.

Comments

• Giorgio says:

Chinese are disgusting sadistic people!!! It’s not racism or sterotyping it’s true!!! Nuke’em and wipe’em off Earth’s surface!!!

• Raj Pagarani says:

“When I look into the eyes of a dog and see the pure innocence I know at that moment I am looking at Gods soul. Its no coincidence that God spelt backwards is Dog….” I just pray that the angels from above took the animals soul before it was murdered.

• Carla says:

R.C. It does happen everywhere.. but these post ARE directed at CHINA because that’s where this video is from. Stop trying to defend this sick a holes.

• traccie says:

I am so sad! I cant look at that video to see the hurt in those animals eyes. its sick that people can do this. Please stop this!!!! I just dont know what else to say but PLEASE STOP THIS!

• marinda says:

Why did I watch that again!!! Going to be crying for days now. I agree with a previous comment. We all just post our disgrace etc but NOTHING is being done to help these animals. Surely there must be more we can do. Can we not get people together and protest in China. Get some influential celebrities to say no to fur. We all follow what celebs do if we get them to say fur is not cool… then maybe we will not see it on the runways. What about making this video more widely available. Even just the last bit with the eyes of that poor animal could not tell without fur what type of animals it is that look up at you as if to say… WHY?? What have I done to you? that image makes me cry for weeksmonths…. U want someone from Peta to organise something more extreme and i know we will ALL be there to help!!!

• R.C says:

you sound like people dont skin cats dogs raccoon dogs rabbits and other animals… for clothes in any other countries. remember very few people can afford these fur coats in China the majority are exported to countries like the US France the UK etc so you can have fabulous spring fashion shows. The money earned by slaughtering all these poor animals can never compare to selling famous brands. If no one needed the fascinating fur clothes in the first place all these animals would not need to die.

• slav says:

I couldn’t finish watching the video it breaks my heart to see poor helpless animals suffer in agony. What have they done to deserve this! I am happy to help just let me know what I can do

• Fran says:

Please stop that sadistic act now! All dogs and cats are man’s best friends!

• Essence says:

Ugh im 14 and when ever my dog would like get hurt he would yelp i cant imagine how these animals scream for them to stop PLEASE STOP THIS i just want to be apart of this cause i love animals to much

• Ryan Greene says:

Please help these poor animals. Today is my 29th birthday and as a birthday wish is for someone to help and rescue these beautiful animals from this horribleevil cruelty. I wish I could donate money but I don’t have the money to help donate.

• Jackie says:

This is horrendous and there is no reason for this. We have the technology to make clothing from cruelty free resources. I sometimes wish that these people who wear fur coats would have the animals that were killed in making them come back to life in the coat and run off. Like in the film Ghostbusters 2. That really was such a great antifur statement.

• Gena says:

I couldn’t finish watching this horiffic video went right to the president’s email and sent him a letter to do me a favor and watch it himself and asked him that after watching it if he could sleep with a clear mind. This is unforgiving China needs laws and we need to stop the import of these furs all together. Most important they just need to stop skinning. Should be outlawed in that country for what they are getting away with.

• Anthony says:

MAKE IT STOP! Free the Poor animals we all should help

• itsKatrinaDANGG says:

Wow this is so shocking and very SAD . how can they do such things to those poor animals i mean how would it feel like you being skinned alive and beaten Animal abuse is NEVER ACCEPTABLE !!

• Gilly says:

Yes Kathleen because 1 we are all lavishly rich and have enough time on our hands to travel to China sarcasm and 2 if you do miraculously get there the Chinese will certainly welcome you with open arms into their fur farms and stifling my laughter allow you to come shut them down. Come on what a ridiculous post. Have you even seen ‘The Cove’? We as Americans need to realize that we cannot simply show up at another country and demand they follow our ways thats not realistic. If you want to make a difference urge CONSUMERS not to purchase these items which is what allows these fur farms to thrive. WIthout the consumer interest there would be no reason to allow fur farms to exist. I mean take a look at the Canadian seal industry this year!

• Christine Carrales says:

Poor little thingsand tjey dont have achoice!!!!This must end!!!

• Nikki says:

I think “Do unto others as you would have done to you.” And yes that includes all of God’s creatures.

• Donna says:

STOP!!! This is crimial.There are no other words.

• citlalli castellon says:

Don’t these people have any sense of dignity respect or mercy? at all? I am in shock… we need to stop this madness. I pity these humans more than the poor defenseless and abuse animals.

• Peter Verhaegen says:

I am too sensitive for this. I don’t even dare to look at the video. If I do I will not be able to sleep afterwards and I will not be able to stand the company of my fellow human beings for days. Such is the rage I feel like a smoldering volcano incinerating both my heart and my stomach. Isn’t there some compassion to be found in China? What morality do the people have who do this kind of thing? Why do I have to feel shame for the creatures of my own kind?

• clare pritchard says:

this is one of the most barbaic things ive ever seen have they no guilt or shame to suffering horrible people how the hell wouild they like it …..

• Cierra Harris says:

Heart broken this video will haunt me for the rest of my life. And knowing that people behave this way kills me.

• Wanda says:

It doesn’t shock me anymore of how cruel humans can be. They see themselves as such a higher breed. How foolish they are. I always ask people “How would you feel if human skin became popular for clothing would you feel afraid.” They never know what to say. STOP THIS..

• moo.lennon. says:

seeing people skin animalsmakes me want to skin people.like buffalo billfrom silence of the lambs33this people are sick.killing beautiful animals and then uglyas people were them..rihanna!disgustingcrueland …ugh!and i agree w kathleen.peta what can we do?if i have to buy a ticket to china to stop this i would!

• carla says:

I have viewed these videos and I am ENRAGED that is can go on. What the hell is wrong with these gd people???? How can they do this to innocent animals and then walk away? I agree with Kathleen SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE AND NOW. BUT HOW???? Wake the fu… up china… jesus!!!

• Tracy says:

Marianna how would we even start anything? I just wrote to Oprah I bet I will hear nothing!

• Alberto Magno says:

Unfortunatelly it will still happening untill the people get the concious that if they buy it the chineses will still running such horrible thing. Don’t buy any chinese products. And as well tell them why you doing that.

• Marianna Guinle says:

Im willing to help if you guys email me im in it. LETS DO SOMETHING.

• Tricia Powell says:

No words…just tears.

• chloe says:

this is out of order ! people who do this should be put in jail ! it makes me sick that people can actually do this to a inocent animal

• klio says:

stop this cruelty !!

• Tracy says:

Everyone needs to RT this on Twitter it will get to tons of people!

• Tracy says:

I could not even watch it because I knew I would cry!! And get sick and scream wanting to hurt them people in the same way and see how they like it! THIS NEEDS TO STOP NOW!!!! WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING! Maybe Oprah or Ellen if we can get to them. Betty White! We can’t stand for this to happen anymore!

• melody remoreras says:

THIS IS NOT ONLY CRUEL BUT INHUMANE…DIS PIPOL DESERVES to rot in jail and die…how could they do this??? How can they live well in life doing this to all these helpless animals…WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP STOP THIS CRUELTY??? I AM WILLING TO HELP…

• Anthony says:

THIS IS SO CRUEL!!! Make it STOP! please!

• Anthony says:

I’m Chinese Canadian myself i think this is so cruel!! i cannot even finish watching the video above. they should Stop this at once!!!

• Deborah Delgado says:

Esto es una locura!!!!!!!! Por favor parad esto ya!!!

• Silmu Larjavaara says:

Stop the cruelty.

• Victoria Hilton says:

Stop the fur trade its not humane its just cruelty

• Amelia Payne says:

This is saddening and disgusting those poor animals have can feel pain! This is wrong in every way imaginable!This needs to be stopped ASAP!!

• Lucie Macfarlane says:

horrible…

• sean mclaughlin says:

skinning animals alive is appauling and i would like to see an end to this practice now. we are now living in 2010 and there is absolutely NO need for this to be happening. animals are not here for us to abuse!! please stop this practice.

• Kathleen Mathis says:

Thank you for sharing. However I cannot help but feel helpless and unbearably sad that there is no real ACTION we are taking besides “sharing” video and talking about the horrific acts. We need to DO something. We need to GO TO CHINA and force the fur farms to shut down. What is stopping us?? Please help me understand why we are all sitting here shaking our heads in disgust but then getting up from our computers and making a sandwich and watching TV while these things are actually GOING ON. RIGHT NOW. WHILE MY FINGERS ARE TYPING THIS MESSAGE. There has GOT to be something else we can PHYSICALLY DO TO STOP THIS. Thank you.

• Berit Hagen says:

I have difficulties finding words when it comes to such cruelty… and I am used to find words I’m a writer. There has to be a way to stop the chinese people torturing animals. I just… I don’t find the words…

• Alejandra Peà says:

I beg you stop this atrocities. Please

• MaryAnn Scandiffio says:

Stop this barbaric practice. This is the cruelest lowest form of human behavior and God doesn’t like it.

• Sophia Papadochatzaki says:

It is a crime. Stop it!!!!

• Meg O'Pry says:

This really breaks my heart!!!

• Phyl says:

Animal abuses are NEVER acceptable. Killing animals for their fur for people’s vanity is NEVER acceptable1

• GwenCline@yahoo.com says:

Imagine having your scalp cut off so someone could wear it? What are these people made of? I live in Las Vegas and I haven’t seen anyone wearing a real fur coat in the years I’ve lived here. Only people that are selfish would wear such a coat and I truly believe most people would shun them for it.