Happy 28th Birthday, PETA!

Written by PETA | August 21, 2008
whatsupdownsouth / CC
Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to the largest and hardest-hitting animal rights group known to humankind! We’re bold, pragmatic, and provocative, and in our old age, we’re only getting better at meeting the needs of animals the world over—and we even manage to look good doing it. Seriously, have you checked out our campaigns recently? 28 must be the new 20, ’cause we keep getting sexier!

However, some people think that some of our campaigns “cross the line.” Hmmm, if you were in a battle for your life—as the billions-with-a-”b” of animals in slaughterhouses, on fur farms, in laboratories, and in circuses are—wouldn’t you want a defender to come to your rescue who is mighty ferocious and not afraid to take some flak? Well, in 28 years, PETA has never backed down from a fight. And believe you me, we can take a hit. Lawsuits, federal investigations, infiltrators, slanderous news articles … the list go on. Yet we’re stronger than ever in our relentless battle for what’s right, and we’re gaining momentum every day.

From the boardroom to the classroom, we employ every tactic and tool we can get our eager hands on in the defense of animals, so send us your ideas and we might add ‘em. Now, maybe you’ve only heard about the colorful tactics we use to catch the media’s attention, but that’s only a fraction of what we do. Here’s a quote from PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk:

Few people know the depth of our work, as it is mostly our stunts that make the news. While cruelty to animals is a serious matter that should elicit widespread public outrage, efforts to reach the public through more serious means often fall on deaf ears in a world in which sex sells and there are both a war and an economic downturn. . . . Forgive us our bikinis and our shock tactics, but our message that all beings—both human and nonhuman—deserve compassion and respect is one that we must work hard to make heard.

So, in celebration of our anniversary, we decided to give y’all some free goodies for showing us your stuff. Here’s the contest—let us know your favorite PETA victories (you can totally cheat by going to this heartwarming site), and you’ll be entered to win a copy of the acclaimed documentary I Am an Animal on DVD. It answers quite a few questions about PETA and our tireless president that you might have had—and it just might get ya fired up enough to join us! If so, we’ve got a bikini with your name on it!

You can comment until September 4, 2008, to win the DVD. We will contact the winner on September 5, 2008. Be sure to read the contest terms and conditions and PETA’s privacy policy before you comment—you’re acknowledging that you have read and agree to both by leaving a comment.

Written by Missy Lane

Comments

• lynda downie says:

Looks like I could use a spelling ‘lesson’. lol

• Rory says:

Hi PETA I would just like to say that you have turned my life around with what you do. You are a true inspiration to all. I love what you do and all that you do. I have to say that the KFC win was my favourite for all of the animals you have helped. PEACE TO ALL ANIMALS! D

• Siobhan Macelhiney says:

Go PETA it’s your birthday!!… I am proud to donate to your worthy causes. Thank you. My Favorite Victory The birth of Ingrid Newkirk.

• Ron says:

God bless you for making this world a better place!

• Daniella says:

Happy Bday PETA! Thank you for making me a vegetarian. In your extensive list of accomplishments perhaps the most important is the difference you make for individuals. Because of you reaching me I have reached 5 others and they have reached others and so on and so on. It doesn’t sound like alot of peole but when you combine all of the animals that have been saved so far by your efforts the number is grandious. Who knows who you will transform next. HairyKate and Trashley? How about the Pope. Now there would be a transformation. If there’s one thing PETA has taught me it is to always hope because the power of change cannot be stopped. Keep fighting for the animals so that one day we will look back at this time in history with it’s meateating and animal abuse with as much abhorance as we now do the enslavement of people.

• lynda downie says:

Happy happy 28th birthday PETA! I love all you guys to bits! I think your greatest victory is showing people what really goes on behind the closed doors of labs factoryfur farms and all the other nightmarish prisons humans have devised for animals. Your undercover investigations have been pivotal in moving compassionate people everywhere to include animals in their ethical deliberations. And your simple message that veganism is the easiest way to lesson animal abuse is being heard by countless numbers of people. If it takes a hot babe with big knockers to get the message out I say rock on PETA and Pam Anderson! Peace out!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Happy Birthday to PETA and all its great worldwide branches. If nonhuman animals used computers this blog’s server would be overloaded with expressions of gratitude!

• Clare Knight says:

When I read the book “free the animals” which was about the silver spring monkeys among others it drove me all the way to Peta from Australia to work as an intern with them so I must say the silver spring lab monkeys. Peta Happy Birthday keep up the fight and Justice for all Animals!

• Amanda says:

What Is My Favourite Victory? I live in Canada and there isn’t a strong presence of PETA here most people question me when I’m walking around in my PETA clothes or when they see my posters stickers buttons and even the flyers I pass outso I have to say that the KFC Victory is my favourite because it happened here…in Canada!!!! I love you Canada but we gotta push harder because if KFC will change their mind because of usthan that brings out a whole new world of change Next you ask? GET RID OF THE CANADIAN SEAL HUNT!!!!!!!!!! My favourite is the CANADIAN KFC VICTORY and I can’t wait to say that my second favourite WILL BE The Canadian Seal Hunt VICTORY! GO TEAM PETA!!!!!!!!!!!

• Pamela L. says:

Peta you have done soooooo much. You have made millions of animals birthdays happier. Happy 18th and so many more to come the animals are counting on you. I have to choose your involvement in the placement of “Controlled Atmosphere Killing” in so many of the worst abuses of Chickens. Your the best PETA your whole ride has been for the animals!Also here’s to all the loving members and celebrity supporters.

• John Carmody says:

Happy birthday PETA! From your loving John Carmody based in Ireland.

• kelly says:

Dear Peta The animal abusers profiteers and killers call Peta names and hate you! Big industry animal torturing companies hire lobbyists like this lowlife httpwww.consumerdeception.com to smear you All that means is that YOU SPEAK THE TRUTH and PEOPLE ARE LISTENING!!!!!!!!!! You gave the animals a voice

• Joan says:

Happy Birthday PETA ! You don’t look a day over 18. But seriously my favorite victory is the awareness and success you brought to light in the Michael Vick case. Always proud to be a member of such a great organization. Keep up all the incredible work that you do.

• Eric says:

My favorite PETA victory of alltime would definetly be PETA’s first. The silver spring macaque monkey lab invesigation which resulted in the first ever arrest of a vivisector on charges of cruelty to animals. This amazing victory also brought great recognition and popularity to a basement operated organization who no one has yet heard of.

• vegancoin says:

To Ingrid Dan Sir Paul and all the rest. i don’t know where i would be without you. A Happy Birthday to PETA and all responsible and caring AR activist everywhere who care enough to make a difference stand tall in their beliefs and have the guts to make this a better more compassionate humane and just world.

• Niranjan Amarnath says:

Firstly I wanna wish PETA a Happy Birthday! I’m just proud to be a member of this amazingly growing organization. I liked the victory over Denny’s partnership with Ringling because this news reached me from Ingrid when I met her in India! Next is the KFC victory in Canada as this gonna change the lives of thousands of chickens who are suffering . . . Keep up the great work PETA!

• Judith FFFA says:

I wish you the happiest of birthdays PETA. Having you in this world makes it a much better place for the animals! Peace for all animals! Most of my heroes wear masks!

• SHARI PEARSON says:

I THINK THE RESCUE OF THE 911 ANIMALS WAS THE BEST. HOW EVER THE KFC VICTORY WILL ALWAY BE A HISTORY MAKING EVENT BECAUSE PETA TOOK ON THE FAST FOOD BUSINESS. AND THAT IS A HARD BATTLE TO WIN !BUT PETA DID IT ! NOW IF PETA COULD WIN HERE IN THE U.S.A.KEEP FIGHTINGWE’RE ALL BEHIND YOU !!!