Guinea Pigs Aren’t Superheroes

Written by PETA | July 31, 2009
zazzle / CC
Agent Darwin

Unlike the animated stars of G-Force, real guinea pigs aren’t superheroes at all. If they were, they would immediately vaporize the human monsters who subject them to crude and painful experiments.

Every year, more than 200,000 guinea pigs are abused and killed in cruel experiments—they are forced to breathe tobacco smoke, they are locked in chambers for hours at a time and forced to listen to noises as loud as a jet engine, and pregnant guinea pigs are given alcohol to cause birth defects in their babies. Of course, common sense and human-based research tells us that drinking alcohol while pregnant is a no-no, standing next to an airplane when it’s taking off is not so good on the ears, and smoking cigarettes can cause disease in nearly every organ of the body.

Wait until Agent Darwin hears about this!

Written by Justin Goodman, Research Associate Supervisor

Comments

• emilyhorgan says:

animals dont have the same anatomy as us so how do we know that these products are intirely safe end this murder and torture because it doesnt prove anything

• ed says:

I own 2 guinea pigs currently whom I love dearly. I too am concerned that after this movie idiots are going to go out and buy guinea pigs that will eventually end up in shelters. I believe we can blame DisneyPixar to a degree. These movies which glorify “cute animals” does I think add to the problem of “Impulsive” pet ownership which is dangerous to the well being of the animals and also adds to shelter overcrowding problems and unnecessary euthanasia. I really wish they would stop making these movies. However it is also OUR responsibility as PETA members Veterinary Technicians Veterinarians ect. to properly educate these pet owners or potential pet owners. There will always be “stupid” pet owners out there. There’s nothing we can do about that. We need to do a better job educating the public about responsible pet ownership. An issue that I feel is not emphasised nearly enough. Wouldn’t it be great if Disney could find a clever way to make a pet movie that also educates about responsible pet ownership?

• louise wilinson says:

its really discusting how they are treating all kinds of animals. the animals has no choice in the matter. they have just as much rite as us to live a healthy and full life or maybe even more! how dare they think they can treat them like that have they no heart or feeling attall? oviusly not!

• Kaylee says:

I think that SEEING AS HOW WE TREAT OUR CONVICTS BETTER than our homeless we should do drug testing on them INSTEAD OF ANIMALS. Face it these people have given up their rights by murdering people and so on so why should we give them more rights than animals??? SAVE THE ANIMALS TEST ON PRISONERS

• Nathalie Cabrera says:

I cant believe these.Why do people do this horrofying experiments to guinea pigs if they NEVER get information?I think its just one way to make animals suffer by telling everybody theyre studding them.No animal deserves those kinds of things. PETA AND ALF ROCKS!!

• SimbaK2K says:

Its horrible to hear about these guinea pigs being used in experiments and can only hope one day there will be an end to it. As for the film it was pretty good and you can’t blame Disney if parentskidspet shops aren’t intelligent enough to realise a guinea pig can live 58 years long after a child may be bored. Parents should know not to give a child a living animal just because their cute and pet shops have a responsibility to make sure the welfare of any animals it sells is up to standard.

• Mel says:

First parents shouldn’t give guinea pigs to children as pets though PETA members have pets and clearly tout this. That’s fine because too many animals given to children as pets tend to get dumped which does cause problems. Now you go and tout how they’re used for experiments and such… … all because they’re in a movie called “G Force.” PETA tout your opinions fine but seriously try to do it without needing to use something in the news. Good points here for once however they get weakened when you ONLY talk about them because a movie comes out.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

As I said in a previous post Guinea pigs are a lot of work and most children under the age of 10 cannot handle their care without help. Mom and Dad do not give in when junior starts crying for one of these little guys. Despite the promises you will end up doing a lot of the work yourself…and guinea pigs are unbelieveably messy. You cannot just feed a guinea pig pellets and expect them to be healthy. They need a varied diet of fruits and vegetables. If you get two of them they will need to be spayed or neutered just like a cat or a dog or you can count on having to keep them totally apart at all times. The guinea pig I got from a friend was pregnant unbenownst to her and to me and before I knew it my house looked like a scene from the old Disney animated movie “Pigs Is Pigs.” Baby guinea pigs are fully grown and ready to mate at less then two months of age. I found that out the hard way. Once I gave the babies away and had Mama and the one male baby I kept spayed and neutered life got better but for a while it was guinea pig central. I did not replace Cinnamon and Sugar when they passed on I got Hobbs my cat instead. He was neutered when he came to live with me. He died last summer. He lived 22 years.

• Brad says:

Unfortunately this movie will only increase the demand for pet guinea pigs. Thus more of these animals will be bred shipped to pet stores and doomed to spend their short lives in solitary confinement with no privacy.

• Rebecca says:

My fear is the run on Guinea Pigs at the pet store due to this movie is going to cause a large amount of the same Guinea Pigs ending up in shelters accross the US in 6 months after the novelty wears off.

• Sophia says:

I hope little kids that see this movie wont star thinking their guinea pig is a super heroes and put them into toy cars and stuff….

• Nathalie says:

I saw Gforce and everything about it is backwards and i want rainbow world animal exoticts shut down

• Jenny says:

its so sad that these sweet gentle and adorable creatures and many others are abused in the name of science. this reminds me of the medical experiments done during the holocaust.

• Brien Comerford says:

The late Linda McCartney had a great antivivisection song on the album released after her death. It was called the “The White Coated Men”. In 1993 Paul McCartney released his “Off The Ground CD” that featured “Looking For Changes” a song that denounced animal experiments and other monstrosities.

• Bailey says:

I have two little Guinea Pigs and reading this line ‘and pregnant guinea pigs are given alcohol to cause birth defects in their babies’ brought tears to my eyes. Oh my goodness.