‘Giant Condoms’ Condemn Animal Homelessness

Written by PETA | April 8, 2010
Condoms

There was no containing this prophylactic pair yesterday in Shreveport, Louisiana. The “giant condoms” were determined to let passersby know that the only way to save the more than 6 million unwanted cats and dogs who end up in U.S. animal shelters every year—half of whom are euthanized because there simply aren’t enough good homes for them—is to spay or neuter their companion animals. Spaying one female dog can prevent 67,000 births in six years, and spaying one female cat can prevent 420,000 births in seven years.

Since cats and dogs can’t wear condoms, it’s up to their guardians to curb the overpopulation crisis.

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• Jane says:

Logan – That’s a shame. Spaying and Neutering is the best thing you can do for the health of your pet. 1 in 4 intact female dogs will get a life threatening uterine infection during their lifetime which is completely preventable by spaying at the appropriate age (4-5 months of age). In addition, spaying early also prevents mammary tumors which are frequently cancerous (especially in cats) and can spread to the lungs. For male animals, neutering significantly reduces prostate problems that can develop later in life and reduce or eliminate those annoying sexual behaviors (marking, roaming, aggression, humping) that lead so many people to surrender their pets to shelters. I hope that you reconsider your choice in view of the benefits that neutering gives your pets. Your pets could enjoy a much longer happier healthier life if they are spayed/neutered.

• Luke Swanhart says:

It’s a pity the low cost_free spay/neuter bills in the House and Senate in Florida has DIED. It would have saved THOUSANDS of cats and dogs from cruelty, homelessness and inevitable death. Also it would NOT have cost the State a single dime, yet would have saved THOUSANDS of little animals from inevitable homelessness, cruelty and death: The usual fate of homeless unwanted animals. If you want to see the bill, here is the CHANGE.ORG petition. And God only knows I tried to get this passed THREE YEARS IN A ROW now. http://www.change.org/petitions/florida-needs-animal-cruelty-surcharge-for-low-cost-spayneutering

• Jennifer P says:

I love this! Living in NE PA and working as a vet tech I’ve come across my share of unneutered and unspayed dogs and cats. It’s farm mentality out here. All I can do is educate. I have three feral like little devil kittens I trapped that are awaiting spayneuter after they recover from their URI. Please everyone spayneuter! It’s a shame to have adorable sweet loving kitties and dogs killed every year bc there are simply not enough homes. Think about your cat or dog. Look at their eyes. A pet just like you’re just as sweet and loving even more so will be put to death tomorrow morning. And if you happen to be feeding a stray cat please trap it and have it altered. We can’t help all the animals but the one’s we do help it makes a difference in their life.

• Marcia says:

Good one! Hard to see how anyone except hard core prudes could object.

• logan says:

I for one will never nueter or spay my pets. It is a choise that I don’t think you have the right to make for me.

• sheela says:

wonderful ! keep up the great work PETA !!

• moo.lennon. says:

my p.e. teacher was yelling out this morning. i was like i totally agree” spay and neuter care and love for animals!”.

• Annie says:

I love this! I have all my cats and dogs fixed too… It’s a good way of saving future unwanted cats and dogs. I wish everybody did the same.

• Caroline Kropka says:

Before people say that you guys at PETA use only sex for ads stuff “sexy” and “appealing” remember many things on the site are the opposite “Testing… 1 2 3″ “Whose Skin are You In” and “Fashion Victims” videos. How could a cow getting its head cut off and organs spilled everywhere be “sexy”?