Frommer: I Was Wrong About SeaWorld

Written by PETA | June 25, 2010
eschipul / CC by 2.0

It takes a big man to admit he’s made a mistake, and they don’t come any bigger, at least in the travel world, than Arthur Frommer. In a blog post earlier this month, Frommer expressed regret for the times that he recommended SeaWorld in his popular travel guides:

“In doing so, I was as heedless of our treatment of the animal world as most of us who traipse to zoos and never think of what it means for such cognizant animals to be contained behind bars or in tiny spaces. I received this past week a letter from an official of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), one Debbie Leahy, that makes such an irrefutable point that I, for one, am ashamed at the shallow perspective of my earlier reaction to SeaWorld.
. . .
Ms. Leahy is clearly right, and I have reconsidered my position. I am ashamed, I apologize for my former statements, and I will no longer recommend that tourists patronize the various SeaWorld parks.”

Click here to read the letter that had such an impact on Frommer. And after you’ve visited his Web site to share some love, send an e-mail to SeaWorld and ask its officials if they’re big enough to admit that they were wrong too.

Written by Alisa Mullins

Comments

• juliana says:

THANK YOU ARTHUR FROMMER it takes courage and you used it

• CAROLYN says:

ARTHUR FROMMER I RESPECT YOU GREATLY. IT TAKES WISDOM TO THINK CRITICALLY AND CHANGE ONE’S MIND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR WISDOM AND EMPATHY. THANK YOU PETA FOR YOUR GREAT WORK AND UNVEILING THE TRUTH BEHIND IMAGE!

• RACHEL says:

Now thats what I call a REAL MAN

• Rebecka says:

I remember the Press in the U.K reporting the Death of Dawn but they only said she had been pulled under the water by her hair and Drown. They did not at all state the terrible injuries she also sustained. Why did the press cover it up why Protect Sea World! How many more will choose to die treating Orca’s like Circus Animals.

• KittyC says:

I was watching and interview with Jean Cousteau and he brought up that Orcas are animals who rely on sonar to navigate and that when they are forced to live in these cement cells that is also taken from them. It would be like being blind and deaf and lost. I hadn’t thought of that before.

• dazi pryer says:

im prolly gonna go 2 the zoo this week!!! How am i sposed to get out of it?????

• Nancy Worsham says:

Many people are proud of you Arthur Frommer! Thanks for being so honest and humane. You care!

• Sarah Grunwald says:

How neat. this is a great idea for those of us involved in the horse drawn carriage industry. We should write to guide books about this.

• Antoine says:

we need to acknowledge how commendable this is! Many people change their minds quietly about things but for him to apologize publicly like this proves that he has an open humble and critical mind…someone send this guy a vegan starter kit! What a wonderful person! Wondeful idea maureen perhaps Sea World and other such places could become sanctuaries for these whales in the future.

• Christine says:

Zoos should be used to house only rescued animals such as those from shoddy roadside zoos. Zoos could give a good life to an animal that has no other alternative.

• yannick says:

i peta ! thank you Arthur Frommer that’s great what you did

• maureen says:

I bet if left in their natural habitat that Orcas do not die of the diseases described in the letterthey only get ill when kept in enclosures like the ones at sea world.But hard core reality is even if sea world committed not to capture animals and keep them until they die sooner than later the ones they have already cannot be released into the wild they have been held so long and trained to do tricks for food they would die in the ocean for not having the concept of hunting sea world should be forced to rehabilitate animals to be released and commit to not putting any more on display. Until people stop patronizing these kind of places this will continue.Families should go on whale expeditions to really see how these beautiful creatures live and do their own tricks in the wildinstead of relying on structured so called fun but we are a lazy society and rely on convenient methods of socalled fun vacations.I personally do not enjoy seeing animals held in captivity so I do not go to zoos or circuses or parks that depict animals for fun.

• Luri says:

To be honest Sea World and typical zoos should not be associated as “similar.” We need zoos. Most animals in zoos do not make attempts to escape and if they do they do not care to wander far. They don’t seem miserable if their environments are properly enriched. That said we need zoos because the public is generally too shallow to care about something they haven’t had a firsthand experience with. Do you really think people would care about tigers if they hadn’t observed them in reallife situations? What about elephants? People care about poaching because they see these incredible creatures and remember how majestic they were in zoos and then want to help them. That said there is no way to provide a proper enclosure for an animal like an orca and they do not belong in captivity period ever. Besides it is not difficult to see one on a whale watch. Lions and tigers and polar bears oh my that is a different story. Typically people never get a chance to see one unless they go on safari and even so it’s unlikely they’ll see a tiger or polar bear MAYBE a lion. I would rather see some individual animals have a happy but imperfect life than see an entire species suffer because the public does not care about them.

• Tucker says:

GREAT NEWS IT TAKES A CERTAIN KIND OF HUMAN TO ADMIT THAT HE WAS WRONG!!!!! THIS ONES FOR ALL ANIMALS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• troller says:

I prefer Discovery Cove even though there aren’t thrill rides in Cove.

• Ellen says:

Fantastic and good for him. This is excellent news. Thanks PETA.

• Brenda Duke says:

Thank you for realizing that these animals do not belong at seaworld.

• Nicola says:

Thank you for apologising Arthur Frommer. It means a lot to people who care and especially to the animals imprisoned at places like SeaWorld. Thanks again