Florida School Serves All-Vegetarian Meals

Written by PETA | October 27, 2009

When I was in high school, I took a peanut butter sandwich with me for lunch every day. Every. Single. Day. For four long years. My mother probably thought I was being stubborn just to annoy her, but the truth is that even before I stopped eating animals, I couldn’t stomach the cafeteria’s nauseating (and cholesterol-laden) options, such as greasy chicken nuggets and grayish-greenish Salisbury steak.

For lucky students at one Florida charter school, “mystery meat” is something they’ll never have to suffer through. That’s because the Alachua Learning Center only serves delicious vegetarian food, all of which is made daily from scratch. Not only is vegetarian food yummy, it’s also healthy and is often cheaper than greasy, artery-clogging meat. More and more schools now serve vegetarian and vegan food—which is great news for kids and animals.

metrokids / CC
cafeteria

It can be tough to get kids to eat healthy meals, but I think black beans with corn and rice sounds way more appetizing than ground-up cow noses on a bun.

Written by Heather Drennan

Comments

• Thabla says:

Isn’t this a Hare Krishna Doctrine school? I used to live at the temple in Alachua.

• Cheryl says:

How wonderful! Who in hisher right mind would feel sorry for these kids? referring to lbkilpatrickcfl.rr.com’s comment? When I was in elementary school I distinctly remember the kids wishing they had better food to choose from. At the lunch tables the gross pieces of meat were often just played with and made fun of and there was a lot of waste because the food was such low quality. And often school lunches were just food fight material. The only stuff I remember liking were the “Spanish rice and refried beans.” That stuff was total grub and it was still before I ever thought of becoming vegan! It’s so silly to pity kids who will grow up used to the taste of a delicious plantbased diet vs. one which not only keeps animals miserable but gets kids stuck in unhealthy eating patterns so early on they’ll never get out! Moreover we are meant to be intelligent feeling beings. Why else would we be sending our kids to school? It is not at all farfetched to consider that children would actually rather eat food they know was not rendered through captivity struggle blood and screams. I started wondering about that fairly early on. I remember looking at a piece of pepperoni pizza I was partaking of and I got this sudden sick feeling mingled with the taste and smell of it that there’s no way that greasy thing came to be without a lot of unpleasantness and I had to stop eating it. But no one ever talked to me about it. I had to hunt down the reason for my feelings and eventually found more than enough information to justify them. We are not obligate carnivores! We have a conscience individually and collectively and we have choices. It’s awesome that this school made the right choice for these children! That shows mercy and leadership from all angles.

• lbkilpatrick@cfl.rr.com says:

I feel so sorry for those kids! NO MEAT? I agree that if you want your kid to have a choice of a vegan option thats fine but don’t take it out on the kids that exercise and are healthy AND EAT MEAT! Deliciouse nutritious awesome meat. My standing on child obeasity is that there are two things that cause it either they are geneticaly more lickly to be obese or their lazy and need to get more exercise. No matter what you eat if you stay on the couch all day every day you WILL get fat and you WILL be unhealthy. If you want vegan options in schools thats fine just don’t take out ALL of the meat. Besides the mystery meat at my middle school is pretty damn good!

• Lauren Holt says:

I wish my school stopped serving the greasy burgers… No veggie options for me. I have pack lunched. Plus the kids go over to the “Burger Van” to get their 99p hot dogs. I don’t even want to think where that meat comes from….

• Jacob says:

At my school in kansas they only have veggie burgers and sometimes they dont serve them. i sure hope they add more!

• Heather Wolf says:

I grew up in Florida and know all too well how difficult it was to eat healthy cafeteria food. The only vegetarian option they would have in high school was salad with eggs in it. This is huge progress and I seriously hope other schools follow the trend.

• Brien Comerford says:

The younger generation must be introduced to savory and satiating meatless food and it’s a planetary impeartive to tell them that meat is destroying Mother Earth.

• Chris says:

Awesome. That is soo cool. A school that doesn’t just spend thousand of dollars on marketing ads to tell kids to eat fresh fruits and vegetables but actually works by example. Imagine that!!! By Charter school it must be private which explains a lot.

• Toby Saunders says:

It’s great news for kids and other animals. We’re animals humans are apes…we’ve known for over one hundred years. Come on Heather!

• jade says:

Not the total success you’d like charters are private schools and therefore tend to have better budget but for you guys yes a step in the right direction. That said you still might be more successful in your endeavors if you attempt to talk to the state diet boards to have a more balanced menu at schools afterall it’s our tax dollars at work.

• PigPal says:

Awesome milestone. Hopefully schools everywhere will shift to this superior healthier menu choice not to mention less expensive and environmentally more friendly. I wonder what the details are on the politics of this menu choice. Were there detractors? How do we navigate the path to getting the rest of the world’s schools on board?

• karla says:

Nice! I wish I at least had thia option at all the schools I’ve been!

• Benji says:

I hope that this is a trend that makes its way out to southern California!! Mmmmmm…. I can only hopeD

• Saucy says: