Feathers Fly Over Veal at G8 Summit

Written by PETA | July 13, 2009

The G8 Summit has been all over the news this weekend. And one of the top stories to emerge from this gathering of great minds? Sarah Brown, wife of British prime minister Gordon Brown, shunned veal—not once but twice! She even tweeted about it:

img.thesun.co / CC
Sarah Brown

This isn’t the first time Mrs. Brown has refused to support the cruel veal industry. At the NATO Summit in Strasbourg earlier this year, she refused to eat veal or foie gras!

Mrs. Brown apparently realizes that in the veal industry, calves are ripped from their mothers’ care immediately after they are born. They are then tethered in small, dark pens—unable to move more than a single step in any direction—and fed a diet lacking in necessary nutrients. All this is done in order to keep their flesh “tender” for when these babies are killed for someone’s dinner.

Kudos to Mrs. Brown for taking a stand against animal abuse. You can follow her lead by ordering a free copy of our “Vegetarian Starter Kit” today.

Written by Shawna Flavell

Comments

• Rebecca Doughty says:

Long before I thought about being vegitarian or vegan I knew veal was wrong. I’m happy to say it’s never passed my lips. I can hardly sit at a table with someone who orders it. Anyone who visits those poor veal calves on a farm has them try to nurse your fingers … and still eats veal … no heart at all.

• sunjay somani says:

I love such women..There’s no word great enough to describe such “heroism” in the face of a totally insensitiveuncaring world of carnivores. I hope the entire world watches this and rises to the occasion and stops eating any form of meat..FOREVER !!

• Kathleen Smith says:

Did you know Sarah Brown also refused to eat fois gras recently at the G8?! Good for her. Im glad our PMs wife is so compassionate. Some of it will hopefully rub off on him!

• Mike Quinoa says:

While many animals suffer at the hands of man things like veal foie gras and the boiling of live lobsters have to make you go WTF?!? Will humans barter away every last shred of compassion just to turn a buck?

• farah says:

good for her. she rocks!

• Brien Comerford says:

Mrs. Brown’s opposition to veal is laudable. Hopefully Labour will remain in power in the UK.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

She makes me proud of my heritage!! You go girl!!

• carla says:

Now that is one classy lady!!! Women like Jennifer Lopez should WTFU and stop wearing all that damn fur. I have not played one of her CD’s and will not ever until she wakes up…..

• Canaduck says:

Awesome! I hope she considers avoiding dairy as well since it’s the sole reason that veal exists! Seriously look it up!