Family Loses Third Black Cat on Halloween

Written by PETA | November 5, 2010
Marcus Vegas/CC by 2.0

Letting our animal companions wander the mean streets is careless and dangerous at any time of year, but that’s especially true around Halloween, and even more so if the animal is a black cat. But some people seem to be in extreme denial about the perils that Halloween poses for ebony-colored felines.

Take the Sowards family of Florida. According to a newspaper article, the family let their black cat, Jinxy Boo, outdoors in the late afternoon on Halloween. The next morning, Jinxy Boo showed up on their patio with injuries so severe that she had to be euthanized. A veterinarian suspects that someone may have placed a firecracker in Jinxy Boo’s rectum and exploded it.

That’s appalling, but get this: According to the article, Jinxy Boo is the third cat the Sowards have lost around Halloween. The third cat! Apparently, the family got her to replace their previous black cat who disappeared on Halloween.

There is no excuse for abusing animals, and anyone who does so is probably a serial killer in training, but if we let our cats or dogs outdoors alone, we are effectively handing our companions over to animal torturers with a sign around their neck that says, “I’m all yours!” Let’s promise not to let our beloved animals end up like Jinxy Boo: allow them outdoors only on closely supervised excursions.

Written by Lindsay Pollard-Post

Comments

• sheela says:

this is so horrible – people please wake up and just keep your cats indoors or if you let them out stay with them outside until you get them in again ! where i live people let their cats run every where and eventually something bad will happen ! this family is in my prayers – but my gosh when will they learn ?

• crose1021 says:

I have 2 black cats in my life and I have always kept them in on and around Halloween because of the horror stories I have heard about. Now my little Zoe is always in and that’s the way it always should have been

• Beth says:

Really??? After the first one you would think that these people would learn!!! As the owner of 3 Black Cats I would never imagine letting them out on or anywhere around Halloween. I hope that these folks can NEVER adopt another cat for they have demonstrated their irresponsibility with 3 of them!

• ventriloquist says:

i only keep indoor cats i feel better when i know where they are at during all hours.

• nancy says:

3 cats! They obviously don’t care and hide behind their stupidity. They shouldn’t be allowed to have cats anymore.

• Audrey says:

I put my cat out on the same nylon chain my dogs go out on and he’s quite content with it. That way, he gets to be outside, and I know he’s not getting into anything. When I feel like he’s been out long enough, I open the door and in he strolls. Win-win. There are MANY options to give your kitties freedom without letting them roam free.

• Drea says:

Those people should not be able to have any more pets. It’s obvious they have no idea what they’re doing, letting the cat outside all the time like that. I have a wonderful black cat that’s sitting here right beside me, safe and sound-she doesn’t go outside, neither does my younger cat, and they’re perfectly happy this way.

• Darlene McCaulley says:

Never let your cat outside, it would like leaving a 1 year old child outside. They can have a happy life inside with love and they love watching out the windows. I have 4 they like playing with each other. Outside they can be attacked by other animals, pick up disease, hit by a car, eat or drink something that is poisonous, and even shot by people who hate cats.

• Kaitlyn says:

i have a black cat, and i knew better than to let him outside on halloween. however, i do not agree with keeping cats indoors. if my cats want out, they can go out. the neighborhood i live in is safe enough that i normally dont have to worry about them. while some places (like a city) i would not recommend free roaming pets, farm country and suburbia i would never trap my animals inside.

• Jackie says:

I’d like to know who was stupid enough to give these people a 3rd black cat. They should be listed among pet shelters and pet stores in their area as people not to allow to have cats. I don’t care if the people involved are just daft, 3 strikes, you’re out! The shelter near me, says they won’t allow black cats to be adopted around Halloween, because of the sickos that might abuse the cats. The people who abused the cat, deserve to get a firecracker lit up in their behind!

• Alia D says:

How demonic and heartless. We have two black cats that we adore. They are explorers by nature. In the city, they went out on a leash, in the country they explore independently. But the days leading up to Halloween, they are forced to stay indoors. They’re sad for 3 days and then live resumes.

• Patty says:

It’s very sad, and obviously there is a person or person/s in that area who need to be watched for signs of suspicious activity.  The fact that, in general, movies these days show no respect for kindness to animals doesn’t help as far as how Hollywood could work as a role model.

• Becky says:

I have owned several cats throughout my life and they have all been strictly indoor cats. I can tell you that they are and were)very happy, well-adjusted cats who never met anyone who didn’t treat them with love. They all lived well into their late teens.

• Roxanne says:

If these people had previously lost an animal on Halloween, then why would they want a repeat.

It only seems like common sence to keep your pets indoors on such an occasion.  I learned my lesson years ago on devils night, when my cat was tied to a tree and had gasoline poured on her and set on fire.  I have never let my pets out on Halloween since, it only took once for me to get it !

• Pj Dee says:

THE WORLD IS SO FULL OF MEANESS AND SICKNESS AT THE PRICE OF SWEET ANIMALS. I LOVE ALL ANIMALS, THEY DO NOT DESARVE THE CRUEL TREATMENT AND THEN THERE ARE NO STRICK LAES TO PREVENT THE ACT, BUT WHY ARE THESE MEAN HUMANS SO EVIL. THIS IS WHY NO ANIMAL SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE KILLED FOR SPORT OR ENTERTAINMENT OR EVEN FOOD. IT’S ABOUT CLOD HEARTS AND GREED. WHEN WILL WE AS HUMANS WAKE UP. I AM SO SAD AT THE COLD BLOOD ACTS AND LAWS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO GIVE THESE ANIMALS JUSTICE……SO THEY KEEP BEING TORTURED….SATIN….NOT….JUST SICK,HEARTLESS HUMANS. HOW DO THEY LOVE, THEY DON’T…….NOT CONSCIENCELY, THEY ARE DEAD INSIDE…..I HAVE 3 BLACK CATS, AND THEY ARE KIND AND SWEET. A KIND HUMAN MADE THEM THAT WAY. LOVE IS THE ANSWER……..PEACE, KINDNESS IS THE POWER.

• CAT GODDESS says:

SO RIGHT, AND THAT’S WHY I HAVE MY CATS INSIDE AND AWAY FROM MEAN SICK HUMANS THAT ARE EVIL, NOT BLACK CATS OR MOST ANIMALS UNLESS MADE SO BY MEAN HUMANS. I HAVE A BLACK KITTEN THAT IS 11 WEEKS OLD AND WOULD NOT PLACE HIM WITH A HOME UNTIL THIS SO CALLED HALLOWEEN IS LONG GONE. HUMANS ARE REAL THE EVIL ANIMALS, AND WE EAT THEM!!!!!!! WHERE IS GOD NOW????

• Jenaration says:

Reading stuff like this makes me cry. I hope they catch these aholes!!! :(

• Johnno says:

My best friend is a pure white cat, but we don’t discriminate, so it’s a moot point. (: People have been cruel to cats, anthropomorphasising them, projecting their fears and bogus supersition on to them for millenia. These people are scum, and at least borderline retarded clearly (and the connection to budding serial killers is well documented yes)One day, my kitty and I will catch one in the act I hope, that day Akasha eats very well indeed… NZ readers, keep your beasties inside over Guy Fawkes also!

• Dottie says:

For the love of God…..if you love your cat, keep her or him safe in your home. I don’t care where you live, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to let your baby roam free. There are evil people who could torture your family member for sport. I know and argue with people who believe cats should roam free. Out of those people there was a poisoned kitty and a kitty who came home covered in gasoline. These things do not happen when you honor your obligation to love and protect your feline family member by keeping the kitty INSIDE. To do otherwise makes you a BAD CAT PARENT. No excuses at all. None. Every cat I have or had have looked to me for protection. It’s your job as a RESPONSIBLE cat owner. If you cannot do this, then cat ownership is NOT for you. REPEAT…NOT FOR YOU. I say this with a 18 pound tabby at my side that I love with all my heart. I would never put his dear life at risk. Ever.

• Anita says:

Any kid who hears other kids say they’re going to put a firecracker up the a** of an animal, and does not report them, is as guilty as the abuser.

• me says:

i think that this is the owners fault as well as the ppl who did this to the cat. the 3rd one! 1st one thats bad second one oops guess u didnt learn the 1st time. the 3rd time WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU are u training for the dumdum awards?

• Christine - a PETA VanGuard Member says:

The Sowards family of Florida needs to wake the F up!  They are contributing to the torture of their animals by letting them outside unsupervised.  Their third cat!–obviously they don’t know how to take care of animals–or care at all.  They will just get another cat to torture for next year.  They are just as much to blame as the “fire cracker” terrorist who tortured this cat.  RIP Jinxy Boo!

Love you PETA – go veg!

• Yakkomia says:

no, dont let your cats out period! keep them inside, where they are safe from the dangers of speeding cars, dogs, cat fights, virus’ and cruel people.

• ghosty says:

This is really upsetting me, and those who do this to an animal deserve exactly the same to be done to them. they are not humans in my understanding

• Alicia says:

It’s kind of weird, but every year, a few days before Halloween, one of my black cats (Andy) starts trying to get out! Close attention to this behavior has kept him safe :) Cats should be indoor pets for their own safety; would we let our children wander on their own for pedophiles to get their hands on?

• Andrea says:

My husband and I have rescued 2 black cats from the local shelter. One 5 years ago and the other 4 years ago. They are family to us and we love them dearly. This story turned my stomach… this is outrageous… my thoughts are with the grieving family… I hope this is a lesson learned about letting your family members out when they can’t fend for themselves against the sick and disturbed thing we call society….

• Rex's Mom says:

Not only are the monsters who hurt this poor cat to blame but the people who had the cat are too. If they adopted all their black cats from the same shelter, that shelter should refuse to let them adopt any more animals regardless if they are cats, dogs or whatever.

• Lex says:

Mari, what are the names of the kids that you’ve heard talking about this? And where do they go they go to school? This needs to be reported to the police. If you don’t tell someone then you are just as guilty.

• Teresa Echeverría says:

the humanity illnes is IGNORANCE!!!

• cathy schmiers says:

Sometimes its nearly impossible to keep cats inside if they run as fast as they can to get outside.I think people should try to keep their animals inside because people are mean to them.

• tbi says:

It is disgusting what people to animals and other humans. You think the swoards would have learned not to let their cat roam (esp on halloween) outside after the first one missing? It seems that most people lack common sense.

• Claire says:

These people shouldn’t be allowed to own animals. They need put on an animal offenders register. Yes its bad they lost their cat, but how dumb are they?. This is the third one to go missing or get murdered on Halloween. Idiots shouldn’t have pets. God bless the poor cat. Hope they don’t get anymore.

• Stephanie says:

As the proud caretaker of two black cats, I’d sooner die than let anything bad happen to them. Protect your animals, people! They depend on us.

• Willow says:

This is sick. They’re right,anyone who abuses animals must be a serial killer in-training! I have 2 black cats (and 2 others that are differently colored) and they are the love of my life. We always make sure on Halloween that they are safe inside the house,and theres no way they can escape.They are indoor cats anyway. I think that if you want any pet,you shoud be responsible for its safety,and always a spae or neuter. Don’t forget love and care. This story is just sick,but the family is to blame also.

• sanjuro says:

This is not only appalling, it’s sickening and enfuriating. If those bastards are caught, I hope someone does the same thing to them, or perhaps shove a dynamite stick up their ass to see how much entertainment they get out of it.

• Darlene says:

I’m so so sorry for the poor kitty! Having done feline rescue as a vet asst for 13 yrs they are my life! The family on the otherhand should also have something stuck up their rectum! How stupid can you be?! Besides the fact that cats are house pets unless feral and should not be let to roam the streets on any given day! I’ve seen the horrors of what a car, a dog, a person and even sometimes another cat can do to a kitty! If you don’t like cat hair, cat claws, litter boxes or the occasional kitty on the kitchen counter THEN DON’T HAVE A CAT!! PERIOD!

• Sarah says:

Well said, being a responsible pet owner is not an option when you accept a pet into your family. This family sounds like they should give up on pets if they aren’t willing to supervise while outdoors.

• Chicklet says:

This is why more has to be done to educate animals owners to not let thier cats be roaming the streets. I owned 3 black saved on Halloweed due for this same reason.

• Celeste Gibbons says:

Our pets are as vulnerable to violence as we are. People need to think about the dangers that could become them if they were left outside on the streets at any time of day. Horrific crimes can be imposed on our pets just as they can be on a human. Please keep your pets indoors or closely supervised when outside. Also, life expectancy increases with an indoor pet. You can expect to have your pet for years longer if you keep them indoors. They have no trouble getting used to a nice, warm, and safe environment…not to mention getting fed regularly!

• krystelynn says:

Absolutely disgusting! These people should be tortured like this poor poor cat was! WTF is WRONG with people today?

• Linda Barber says:

My husband and I brought a black stray cat in the house over Halloween after reading about things like this that could happen. Of course, he is still in the house with us.

• Tina menier says:

I’m shocked and saddened that these horrors are happening day in and day out. Won’t more people speak out? Won’t more concerned citizens do something? Anything? I know I am…I tell anyone and everyone I come in contact about the cruelty that goes on in hopes that they will listen.. Never stop talking. I love you Peta!!!!!!!!

• NMGIRL says:

3, really? Don’t let your cats outside, especially at Halloween, especially when they a black!

• Joshua says:

what the fuck! this is outrageous! what is wrong with humans these days, placing a firecracker inside a rectumn?! WTF!!!

• Meemah says:

I have the honor and pleasure of having a black cat as a member of my family. She gives us so much pleasure. But I am aware that there are cruel people in this world who still believe that all black cats are minions of evil and should be destroyed. So, on Halloween, we make sure that our Luna stays behind closed doors. We love her too much to let her wander and possible be killed or injured.  This Florida family apparently has not learned their hard taught lesson about protecting their treasured family pet. I hope that they will not replace their Jinxy Boo because they obviously don’t have enough smarts to know how to protect their pet.

• Val says:

No comments…just anger…

• Margaret says:

I can understand keeping your cats in at times of great risk…I do myself at Easter and other local celebrations where there are stangers in the village, but keeping them in all the time? Cats are by nature wanderers…if they are brought up by their mothers they are taught to stay away from people other than those they know and trust….surely this is a better life for them than effective imprisonment in a house?

• Mari says:

I don’t doubt that a fire cracker was put in the cats rectum. I hear kids at school talk about doing that all the time. I try to tell them its wrong but they don’t listen :( I’m sorry Sowards family.

• rottsrus says:

I imagine the Sowards are all broken up about their cat too. Everybody that has any sense knows better than to let your pets run loose, especially on Halloween. I wonder how many more of their pets will die before they brighten up.

• La Shawna Still says:

that is so sad … i cant beleive the people that can do this to animaals and actually feel like its right… people like that dont desreve to live!!!