Ellie the Elephant Makes School Cool

Written by PETA | January 6, 2010

PETA’s Ellie the Elephant can melt hearts of all ages. Need proof? Yesterday, during Ellie’s tour around the country to educate people about Ringling’s abuse of baby elephants, the kids in Nashville, Tennessee, rushed to hug Ellie when she visited their elementary school. When one student asked Ellie why she was wearing a bandage, Ellie pointed to her “Circuses Are No Fun for Animals” sign, and the boy said, “I’m sorry that they did that to you.”

Even adult onlookers couldn’t resist waving at Ellie.
Ellie

Ellie handed out comics educating the children and their parents about Ringling’s rampant abuse and exploitation of animals. Our recent exposé reveals how Ringling trainers tear baby elephants away from their devastated mothers and use electric shock prods to force the animals into performing humiliating and unnatural tricks. Help save baby elephants by urging the USDA to revoke Ringling’s license and sharing this information with everyone you know.

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• Marnie says:

Dear Kurt why do you say I’m not listening… I think we share the opinion that children need to be educated. And I didn’t say that we have to teach them in schools not to eat meat leaving the private opinion out sure! But when we work on a peaceful society assuming that this is in our all interest children need to be taught to respect other species animals feel the same pain that’s the thought. Children have to learn general ethics i.e. compassionate behavior. They do not have to follow the slogan “I do it because I can”. Somebody should have taught them as a “golden rule” to value the individual. Where parents or grandparents fail to give this principle of normal peaceful live the schools should probably get the duty to teach these basics only a modest proposal no vegan thoughts just the respect for every being animals included. And teachers are normally skilled enough to discuss about this respect democracy and ethics objectively. Your freedom ends where the freedom of the next begins. We live in a competition wherever we go but it’s no accomplishment to be more pretty or smart it’s god given. And a child who is born in a poorer environment is also not to blame for the circumstances. Watch some children and their behavior watch these who bully the others. They are often enough mainly educated by stupid video games or movies which show brutality. Some really miss something while they grow up. Try to buffer aggression with an education which brings the children to feel for others instead of hitting the week. Don’t abuse the might you maybe have to torture the one. The abuse of the week the animals where brutality is visible with the naked eye resulting from a general lack of compassion which makes it possible. No extra lessons in schools are about this issue so I appreciate organisations like PETA bringing the children compassionate thoughts. Basics. And how circuses work is worth a discussion…

• Kurt K says:

Marnie I hear what you are saying but I don’t think you are hearing me. If the schools start teaching a certain sets of morals then where does it stop and who determines this? I don’t mind teaching children to be kind to animals. I don’t think anybody would be opposed to that. However when you inject personal beliefs about whether animals should or should not be eaten for food then it falls under opinion. I believe teachers should leave personal opinion out of all lessons as much as possible. You can teach the children that eating nothing but red meat with little exercise increases your chances of certain diseases all you want because that is based on fact and scientific studies. However the minute the teachers says it is cruel to eat animals then heshe has crossed the line. As far as I know there are not any schools that teach kids to be cruel to animals. The word “cruel” means different things to different people I understand this. By your deffinition killing an animal for food is cruel not by mine. Do you see the paradox one could get into? Children should not be exposed to this in school. Teach the lessons that need to be taught. Leave personal opinion out.

• Marnie says:

Kurt it’s not the question of making vegans out of the children… you are right this should be a private decision. But what should be taught in schools are morals ethics compassionate behavior the respect for other species and kindness i.e. the opposite of brutality in a competition rude ruthless behavior and treating others like waste who don’t fit in the definition of being worth to be respected. That’s basics! Animals are in our society defined as commodities and that’s wrong. And everyone who feels for his pet knows what the issue is about. With the time a lot of false ideals moved into better ones. Children need morals from beginning on…

• Kurt K says:

Marnie The schools are not suppose to teach kids whether its right or wrong to eat animals for food. That is the parents job. Most people don’t believe it is moral or ethically wrong to kill animals for food. I for one would be very upset if a teacher tried to push vegan ideals on my child. Teachers are suppose to teach things like history math science social studies health and physical fitness. When lessons start becoming opinionated and the teacher is trying to influence stuents beliefs then the teacher needs to be reprimanded or removed. The parents raise the kids the teachers educate them. Understand?

• Marnie says:

Dear Kurt then let the schools put it across. Did you watch the footage about cows? Where parents fail to give compassionate ideas to their children and nobody else teaches them morals they grow up without warmhearted principles. For me the only explanation how it can happen that a person brutalizes animals like you can watch it there…

• Kurt K says:

Marnie I am all for teaching kids to respect animals. My problem is the manner in which it is taught. If you are going to teach them about the negative side of the circus then I think you should at least let the circus defend itself. I’m pretty sure the ciriculum would be one sided if PETA was in charge. That is why I personally believe the subject of morals should be left to the parents. Educate them and it will trickly down.

• Marnie says:

… but when you teach them carefully to respect animals that’s acceptable or not? Show children to honor every creature before it’s getting a habit to forget that to feel pain is universal.

• Kurt K says:

Sarah B I totally agree with you. Joanna Your statement is not true for the majority of the US and the world. Most value human life even an unborn human life over an animals life. That may not be true for you and the members or PETA but is certainly true for the overwhelming majority of people. Compassion starts with your fellow human and family. Animals come later. Nikki I would like to know where Sarah said she supported animal abuse? I believe she said we should help our fellow humans first and then concentrate on animals. How is that ignorant? I wonder how you can draw such conclusions based on a short statement. Marnie You are probably right. Young children will probably be more suceptable to shocking imagery. However it is not PETA’s place to push their beliefs on children. Especially young children. If the parents want to raise thier kids to be animal rights advocates then so be it. However if the parents don’t believe in what PETA does then PETA should respect that and leave young children out of this debate. Once they are in high school then you can seek them out but not in the schools.

• Marnie says:

…but when you don’t shock them you can teach children a lot. It’s much more easy than turning an adult’s opinion too bound in older thoughts and too lazy to think about it for a new…

• Jackie says:

I hope this means your not showing children graphic imagery that is too much for them to handle at their age. Despite what you may believe there are children that can end up with nightmares and other issues seeing a comic displaying the graphic abuse of animals.

• Nikki says:

You know Sarah B its ignorant people like you that need to leave these matters alone why should we suport your causes when your putting ours down? Worry about your own and stop suporting animal abuse because you see it as “not important enough”

• Joanna says:

Sarah B. Compassion to animals and beginning to put your life in perspective so that other living things matter is very much related to other social issues. If you cannot feel compassion to a dog that is sitting in your house or the animals that are used for food or a circus elephant then you are also not going to be able to feel much compassion for an unborn human child or victims of war. Compassion has to start somewhere. This is where it starts.

• Shari says:

Sarah B. I respect your thoughts your feelings on the issues that you just brought up and I do agree with you but we are talking about animal rights on a PETA website right now. This is the topic of this story and this blog this is why we are not talking about the issues you just brought up. I do admire your wonderful caring spirit on the issues you brought up but again those issues are what we say ” off topic” I am sure there are website that can help you with your cause I go to those website quite often myself. Peta’s message on saving the elephants from pain torture and neglect are very inportant issues and they should never be dismissed!

• george says:

alyassa yes people are dieng 6 every 12 seconds to be presice but animals die 2000 each single second and this is very important by going vegetarian your saving the children in places as asia etc at risk from floods because most co2 is from factory farms and circuses are terrible and there is no reason for them they discust me! and peta that is a great idea young children are of course the future and should be educated about animal rights as young as possible.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

I believe compassionate people are made not born. You have to start somewhere. Teaching a child compassion for animals could extend to compassion for the unborn the poor and victims of war or disaster. I don’t know who originally said this but it’s true “Most adults stop learning the moment they leave school and some even before that. This is not so for young children. Catch one young enough and there is no limit to what you can teach.”

• Lauren Holt says:

COME TO BRITAIN ELLIE! In particular Scotland Ayr.

• Diana Gredesky says:

is she coming to New Jersey! i hope so!! Hawthorne New Jersey!

• rose says:

I love Ellie I wish she can come to the schools in charleston south carolina the circus always comes here and a lot of people go my nine year old son Tony don’t go because he knows the truth but he tells his classmates about not going and the cruelty of it but he says they don’t believe him and say he’s lying I would go with you to the schools if you please came by here the circus has too much support here and I can’t do it alone .thank you I posted my email in case you can come let me know I’m a member of peta love ya

• Sarah B. says:

Yes animals are important… however there are much more pressing matters occuring today than protecting animals… wake up people! What about the murder of more than 3300 unborn children everyday just in the US from abortion? What about poverty among our own people here in the US? What about the war in Iraq… how about Afghanistan? Wake up!!!

• Alyssa says:

You should come to my school! im always talking out about animal rights and they just laugh at me .

• Mel says:

What’s the name of the school if you don’t mind telling us? To me right now this looks like Anywhere USA and a regular sidewalk.

• Shari says:

Ellie is one happy elephant! I’m sure she is getting the message out there that elephants need to be free! I love Ellie!