eBay Gets an Earful

Written by PETA | June 14, 2007

puppy_china_ebay.jpgIf you haven’t heard about the little tiff we’re having with eBay at the moment, the point of contention is that the company refuses to prohibit the sale of live cats and dogs—as well as items lined with dog fur—on its Chinese website. Which, honestly, this is really an issue that everyone can get on board with, especially once you see the photos posted by eBay sellers showing animals chained to cages on the streets, puppies trapped in wire-bottomed cages, and other horrors that would be more suitable in an animal-cruelty case file than on an international auction site that’s supposed to have a code of ethics. Well, since the company has been turning a deaf ear to our pleas, this morning, we took them straight to the shareholders: Our fearless campaigner Deedra spoke at the Boston eBay shareholder meeting, while my friends Melissa and Julie stood outside to let passersby know exactly what’s going on at eBay China. Check it out, and if you’d like to write to eBay about this issue, click here.

eBay_cats_dogs.jpg

Comments

• Erin says:

This is crazy you no where and what is happening why isn’t anyone stoping it the more people no the more they can help and understand what is going on in China and other places like that. It mkaes me sick people are siting around that have videos that are alowing this to continue.

• tracy allouche says:

wow is ebay so desperate to earn money this is so bad.. they can stop someone selling a counterfit bag but will not stop from selling animals on ebay stupied company … i will refuse to selling anything on ebay and will tell all my family and friends to stop selling on ebay as well untill they stop animals being sold on it..

• persianperson says:

I just heard about this on alleyinsider.com this is just unspeakable leaves me speechless. I’ve been a buyer and seller on ebay for 8 years and I’m just ashamed that a company I do business with can be a part of this despicable cruelty. I know other countries have different cultures and norms that’s okay but to have a US based company play middleman to this this…it’s just WRONG.

• Ariadne Chirivi says:

EBAY is selling animals through many ebaybranches around the world. For example in South America is called MERCADO LIBRE there you see dogs cats snakes parrots….This practice is cruel and unethical. EBAY MUST STOP.

• Margarita Cisne says:

I think that a campaign is in order. And if it was possible Peta should attack them on the legal side because what they are doing is illegal.

• Elizabeth says:

Do you think that they would allow people to sell children if this was legal in China? Makes you wonder…

• kris shulfer says:

OH MY GOD!! I HAD NO IDEA THAT EBAY PARTICIPATED IN SUCH HORRIBLE THINGS!!! I AM GLAD TO HAVE FOUND OUT BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT FOR PEOPLE THAT SHOP ON EBAY LIKE MYSELF AND I AGREE A HUGE CAMPAIGN GOING AS WELL AND ME PERSONALLY I WAS JUST BUYING SUNGLASSES EARRINGS BUT I WILL NO LONGER USE EBAY UNTIL IT IS VERIFIED THAT THE ANIMAL TRADE HAS DISCONTINUED! THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO!!!

• Maya says:

Thank you Maureen for the info! I didn’t know that about CITES. The BBC science and nature page has a few really good articles on the recent CITES meeting. Anyone who cares to prevent the wildlife pet trade or stop poaching should read about it. They made a few good strides this year but it’s clear more needs to be done. For example the taking of all 7 species of sawfish was banned but Australia is still allowed to take sawfish from the wild for aquariums.

• Maureen says:

eBay got plent of good publicity when they pledged to stop selling Ivory. This came out during the recent meeting of CITES Conservation International Trade in Endangered Species. They were highly praised for this. I agree about getting a really big campaign going the elephant tusks ban came after a lot of international pressure was put on them.

• Caroline says:

Its a shame eBay still carries on like this. Obviously evolved people will never buy from them knowing what they are actually selling. Hoping Peta can put a stop to their unethical and savage practice.

• kelly says:

Ebay is worse than you think! On the Animals discussions boards people used to post about pets they adopted or rescued or volunteering at shelters. Some nearly illiterate Ebay Communities staffer named Jackie decided that the discussion board coulds NOT be used to talk about adopted pets only purchased pets And she wiped out any references to adopted animals on the discussion board!!

• Maya says:

I think a massive campaign against ebay is in order because I’ve heard from my friends in the animal profession that this is not all they’re doing. I’ve heard that there are hundreds of exotic animals sold on ebay some bred in captivity and some taken right from the wild. Please don’t jump to conclusions without proof but I will look to confirm what I’ve heard. The point is ebay shouldn’t get off the hook that easily if they’re selling other stuff.

• one more blame says:

all this ebay stuff is a strange thing! before i wanted to buy from them but i stopped because i had the impression that they are not honest with the whole bidstuff etc. but the fact that they deal with living animals to china shows even more clearly that something in their business is really dishonest! never in my life a want to have to do with them anymore!