Dogs Killed When Dogsled Business Slows

Written by PETA | July 26, 2011

Update: The British Columbia SPCA has issued a gut-wrenching report about finding the decomposing bodies of the approximately 100 dogs who were dumped in shallow graves after being stabbed and shot at a failing dog-sledding operation. Read more here.

shazron/cc by 2.0

A company that operates dogsled tours of Whistler, British Columbia, reportedly killed 100 dogs last year when business slowed after the Vancouver Olympics. The killings came to light after an employee of Outdoor Adventures Whistler filed a claim for compensation for post-traumatic stress disorder that he says he suffered as a result of being told to shoot dozens of dogs or cut their throats and then dump them in a mass grave. The British Columbia SPCA is investigating and calling for a criminal investigation.

Sadly, this is not an isolated incident. Mushers routinely abandon, shoot, bludgeon, or drown dogs when they become ill, don’t run fast enough, or are simply unwanted. In 2005, it was revealed that the largest dogsled tour operation in the U.S., Krabloonik Kennel in Aspen, Colorado, was shooting and killing as many as 35 dogs every year. A Krabloonik employee defended the killings, saying, “This is part of the circle of life for the dog-sled dog.”

The deaths of these dogs serve as a tragic reminder never to patronize dogsled tour operations. With the Iditarod coming up, be sure to tell everyone you know about the cruelty inherent in dogsledding.

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• rocket reno says:

unless the canadian government steps in i will never go to canada i am passing this article to all of my friends the government should close down that horrid place i hope this adventures place whistler closes down to a bad turn out of business… i hope karma gets them

• jady says:

“If you have men who will exclude any of God’s creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men…” ~ St. Francis of Assisi, Roman Catholic friar, founder of the Franciscans order

• Melinda Fernandez says:

OPERATORS OF BUSINESSES WHO EXPLOIT ANIMALS ARE THE LOWEST FORM OF LIVING CREATURES! THEIR GREED FOR MONEY COMES FIRST THAN ANYTHING ELSE. THEY MIGHT EVEN HAVE THE CAPABILITY TO SELL THEIR OWN FAMILY FOR MONEY! THEY ARE THE MOST SAVAGE OF ALL SPECIES. THEY SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CONSIDERED MEMBERS OF THE HUMAN KIND!

• Diane Pine says:

Having owned huskies, I think this behavior should be punished. These are loyal, beautiful and hard working dogs.

• Noels1968 says:

No words can describe how horrified I am. I love my Husky and would never dream of harming him in any way, and if anyone ever does I will hurt them just as badly!

• MARIMA says:

all animals are so beautiful and deserve to be respected and loved they are living beings that need love and care Peta i hope you catch all those evil people and be put in jail PETA i love you guys so much and i am a big supporter and i post every thing u share with me and share with all my friends to help as much and god bless you and all people that love and care for all living beings love u peta

• xScatter says:

I’m from BC, and honestly when stuff like this happens in my own Province (nevermind the stuff that happens all over this country), it makes me really ashamed to say that I’m from there. I live in Vancouver, but Whistler isn’t that far, and it’s where the Olympics were. Honestly, what did they think was going to happen from all this? There were ways they could have handled this situation better. Our SPCA is constantly taking in animals that aren’t wanted. They go down as far as California to pick up animals. Whistler wouldn’t be that far. And I’m sure that there are lots of people that would have wanted a cute dog of their own. Instead of waking up in the morning to CBC’s top news story being a horrifying slaughter of innocent animals that deserve a life of their own.

• Jenny says:

first the seal slaughter, now this? cananda, you have to get your act up.

• Lorrin says:

Most Canadians I’m sure are absolutely sickened by this tragic occurrence and reports of its practice elsewhere. The person who executed the dogs – why hadn’t he reported his employer – before slaying the first dog? To not do so is beyond comprehension. I can see why he has PTSD, due to his own gutlessness. Very sad day for Canada.

• Nicole E says:

Christa Turnell… CANADA’S treatment of dogs… how dare you throw us all into the same category as the sick person who did this. I volunteer for an animal rescue where we spend most of our time importing dogs from US puppy mills. And the uproar in Canada over this situation is huge. Canadians as a whole do not mistreat their animals, nor are we ok with dog sledding or any other kind of animal abuse. Your comment is completely uncalled for.

• Nicole E says:

It is sick. However it has just come to light and not all the information is out there. Every hour we are learning new details. Before we mandate that the company be shut down we must determine if the company being named is at fault. It seems now that they are not and that a company by the name of Howling Dog Whistler is at fault and that the employee who came forward with this information, after filing with workers compensation for post-traumatic stress disorder for slaughtering these poor animals, is actually the owner of Howling Dog. But, as I said, every hour more and more information is coming available. The RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) held a press conference this morning stating that Outdoor Adventures has been wrongly named in all this. The person responsible for the slayings is Dog Sled Musher Robert Fawcett. He is who everyone should be directing their anger at.

• aspengurl says:

i was a letter contributor to our aspen newspaper to try to get krabloonik in snowmass (not aspen, technically) shut down. that guy was a ruthless, greedy killer. those dogs sometimes took all day to die after only being afforded ONE bullet. they had a mass grave also. mushers were coming out of the woodwork to say he was a piece of sh*t, too. you can google it & read all the progress we had.

• Jane Bailey says:

Anyone who makes money from animals hates them, so it’s no surprise that this goes on. What size ego must someone have to think that these dogs only reason for living is to pull a sled??

• Zack says:

I used to vacation at Whistler quite often. No longer will I EVER put a foot on that resort. Not to mention letting everyone I know not to vacation there as well.

• Cassie Vasquez says:

ew this is disgusting they are precious dogs forced to pull peoples fatasses around and then killed for all their hardwork? ugh, i’m so disgusted by this. let’s hope the people running this place have a fun time in hell.

• tom moore says:

What the hells wrong with snow mobiles?

• Linda says:

What the hell is wrong with people?

• nivia ordaz says:

how sad; is there going to be like a petition because if there is im ready to sign!!!!

• Cheri Nappi says:

Isn’t there any ways to control this? There has to be something that can be done! I never believed in dogsled racing to begin with, but there’s gotta be someway, somehow to control or even stop this!!

• Erika says:

What the hell are they thinking? This just sickens me. Murderers!!!

• Kim says:

Thats horrible!!!!  I had no idea either that this was going on.

• Sarah Redd says:

this is disgusting what people do, its horriable, and should be shut down immediatly! i love animals more than people for one matter, and that is they do NO WRONG, unlike stupid humans!!

• degua says:

there’s alot of people including myself that would love to adopt these dogs! i owned one and they are the sweetest companiions…. at least give them that chance!! just sick to my stomach about this…. :(

• Jennifer says:

I am appalled, horrified, disgusted and in tears when I read this article on cnn.com I have never and will NEVER patronize a dogsled operation. What a disgrace.

• Carla says:

Why this employee didn’t tell medias or associations before killing dogs? I don’t understand!

• Barbara says:

Horrified, just horrified

• Sarah W. says:

One a dog kills a child (out of jealousy or whatever) it becomes a big topic at once. “You shouldnt let a dog near your child” is the result. 35 dogs killed by a dogsled operation every year doesnt even reach everyone. Still, it is said that the dog is a humans best friend. But what does the human do? He abandons his “best friend” and does horrible things, even murder, to him and it is merely seen as a crime! Thats disgusting.

• deedub626 says:

How about chop off his/her fingers and toes every year? and tell him/her that is the circle of life…

• Tracy says:

@ Christa…don’t single out Canada, that’s just stupid. We are not all brutes you know. Things like this do happen elsewhere. But that’s human nature, to lay blame on a single, collective unit. Just so you know, I did not, nor will ever, advocate senseless killings of animals just because a company “can’t afford” to keep them.

• Kathleen says:

I was not aware of this, I have always been against this “sport” and have known that abuse was going on, but I am shocked to learn just how bad it is!!!! It’s time that we really focus on these SOB!

• Stephanie Soto Hay says:

I never would have thought Mushers would kill a ‘man’s best friend’ that completely heart breaking, it really makes sick to my gut.

• Savannah says:

Ok, PETA this time you are going too far. I have supported you, but trying to stop dog sledding!? I love dog sledding, and so do the dogs. If this company is killing dogs, then yes they should be stopped, but don’t go against dog sledding all together.

• PAT says:

stop killing the dogsled DOGS PLEASE I CRY IT IS SO SAD

• Dark Cinderalla says:

Sick and immoral! Of course, the wholesale murder, or any murder, of any creature is deplorable. I do believe in the law of 3, that is, that our deeds come back to us by the velocity of 3. This is a very pagan concept that has its roots in other faiths and was adopted by paganism.

Those murders will get their own one day. They won’t live scott-free. In the great scheme of the universe, they will pay. I firmly believe this. Those who do evil have evil returned on them. This is how my parents raised me and I do believe this, this is a part of why I’m vegan. I could never take part in the torture and murder of any living thing.

These husky dogs are not the only ones being slit and murdered. Farm animals, as a part of so-called “animal agriculture” are murdered every second for consumption. They are murdered because humans desire animal flesh, and think nothing of the how the are getting that flesh.

Every person, without even a single exception, I have ever had a heart-to-heart with regarding factory farming has amended his or her ways. Even if it was to adopt Meatless Monday or in some cases even go vegan, every single one changed their ways.

If you’re a meat and/or dairy eater reading this, give me a chance to tell you about why I became a vegan when I was 19 and why it was the single most important choice I’ve made in my life. That is, more important than my BA, more important than my marriage, and anything else I’ve done to better the world. Stopping murder is the single most beautiful thing you can do in this world, trust me. You’ll sleep better at night knowing that blood is not on your hands or plate. Trust me, life is more precious than you realize. It isn’t “dominion over the animals”. It’s not the Christan god giving you permission. Look deeper and see the cracks in that logic. If you look, you’ll be sickened and stop the meat and dairy eating right now.

If you’re not already ready to give it up, that’s okay. Just let it brew in your mind. Eventually, you will give up at least some of it. My first husband entered our relationship as a carnivore and now is a more political vegan than even I am. My current husband (2nd) eats meat, however only about once a week. The rest of his days are vegan. He thinks it’s terrible to live as a carnivore, however isn’t ready to give it all up. That’s okay (but not okay, but still…okay…). I believe that as much as a person can do is for the best. Be a weekday vegan and a weekend carnivore. Be a vegan but eat ice cream. Whatever. Just cut down on animal product intake.

What does this have to do with huskies? EVERYTHING. Respect for life. Respect for animals. When you respect a farm animal, that the animal should not be on your plate, then you respect that the husky is NOT there for your entertainment. Period.

Think it over. Contact me if you’re feeling split over it. I’ll give you facts. Propaganda? Maybe, depending on what you believe to be propaganda. I’ll tell you like it is, and you’ll wonder why the world isn’t vegan. The most hard core of carnivores have converted after talking to me. Are you brave enough to change? To open your mind? If you can say no than I know you’re lying. If you say yes and then say no to being vegan, I know you weren’t open in the first place. Either way, there’s no way you wouldn’t agree to trying veganism for a week. I’ve convinced several people, people who were against it.

• Tatijana says:

Thank you so much for bringing this incident to people’s attention. Much gratitude, and prayer for the dogs.

• Rohan says:

They are heinous criminals and heavy criminal charges should be imposed on these people. Surely not to be left….

• Dawn Huebner says:

this company needs to shutdown immediately and not be permitted to own another dog,and punished to the fullest penalty of the law.The long painful suffering these dogs endured is beyond comprehension.

• Christa Turnell says:

What I am learning about Canada and it’s treatment of dogs is stunning and disappointing. Dogsledding was necessary at one time in some parts of North America. Now, we have more efficient, though much louder, helicopters, planes and autos that can carry both people and dogs. Killing dogs because they don’t perform is a dog fighter mentality. It can and must be stopped.

• Dawn Huebner says:

• joana monteiro says:

that makes me sick

• Jana Christensen says:

Are you kidding me, I own huskies as well as my children, they are the most loyal, trusting, loving dogs!! How can anyone kill them, rehome them or email me, we will take them and rehome them.

• Lokaeda says:

I don’t agree wit hthe end of the article: dogsledding does not make every musher an asshole. I know one who loves his dogs and who’d rather shoot himself than any of his dogs. The problem is that some people have money in mind, hence lack a brain.

• donnene says:

I am one of “those people” who care more for animals than I do most people. I believe if someone kills an animal for any reason other than sickness or meaness should be in jail. If the law protected all living creatures as God intended this would be a better world. Michael Vick -the scum of the earth – is a good example.

• Ashley says:

I believe in what Peta stands for and all but it is a little harsh to lump all Mushers into one category there are many that treat their dogs as part of the family and some who even when competeing will not eat before there dogs do when on a run. I understand why you would boycott the tours and events but as I said i do not feel that it is right to lump all Mushers into one category.

• Francoise says:

Profit profit and more profit isn’t it? this is absolutely despicable !!!! it will come back to you people . what you do to those faithful animals is absolutely abominable. where the hell is this world going?

• Prod homme Isabelle says:

c est une honte !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cela merite des peines lourdes pour ces assassins, j espere qu ils auront la punition qu ils meritent………… ceux sont des monstres il n y a pas de mots assez forts pour exprimer l’horreur de ce qu ils ont faits……….

• Mrs Jennifer Morgan-Libby says:

I am truly disgusted at these killings.

• Janice Wolbach says:

DO NOT patronize dog sledding operations!

• Sue Fitzpatrick says:

No words.

• jamene says:

I had no idea this practice was going on!! I am sure alot of people have no idea, we need to get this word out right now! pass this on people!!How sad and what a waste.:(