Doggie Deep Throat

Written by PETA | October 2, 2008

In 2007, PETA received a call from a whistleblower who tipped us off to a Cleveland lab, the Cleveland Clinic Foundation (CCF), that performed a fatal brain surgery on a dog for a useless medical-device sales demonstration.

Fast forward to 2008. PETA has received yet another tip from a whistleblower because of yet another alleged unnecessary dog death at the CCF—and this time it appears to be a violation of federal law.

The whistleblower alleges that a healthy dog—who had undergone an experimental transplant in which a heart was inserted into her neck—was killed after surgeons discovered that her airway was blocked by hay. Sadly, the whistleblower says that the dog was knowingly allowed to eat the dangerous hay from the pens of other animals while roaming around the laboratory and disturbing other animals who were recuperating from painful surgeries. I’m pretty sure that the surgeons needed that extra heart, not the dog…

PETA has filed a complaint against the facility with the USDA, and we are asking for an immediate investigation into alleged violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act. The potential violations include failure to ensure proper nutrition for dogs (at least one was apparently allowed to eat hay) and failure to ensure adequate veterinary care for animals used in experiments, just to name a couple.

Many Cleveland residents, especially those who frequent the Dawg Pound, would be horrified to know that a lab in their city might be guilty of repeatedly killing healthy dogs who are used in useless experiments. The CCF needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for its apparent disregard for animal welfare, and we hope that the USDA will do just that.

If you want to help, please politely contact the CCF using the information below and ask that it conduct a full and thorough investigation of this matter and take all appropriate corrective actions.

Please send polite comments to:

Paul E. DiCorleto, Ph.D., Chair
Lerner Research Institute
Cleveland Clinic
Mailstop NB21
9500 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44195
216-444-5849
dicorlp@ccf.org

Comments

• brandi says:

i dont like animal testing i think its wrong and should be stopped

• katrina says:

I can’t stand this niceynicey stuff. Nobody will listen unless we hit where it hurts don’t complain to the company send the story to the press for example and QUIT WITH THE LOGICAL FALLACIES!!! It’s over half the reason that our wording and our body language tone etc… that we don’t get anyone’s attention except for being the “AR loony” across the street. I am always trying to find every way possible to have the biggest effect and if we work on our argument and save it for those who want to know or have to find out we can actually WIN this thing. For once.

• vegancoin says:

Those people performing those horrific acts must be truly insane. But i also agree with Gina playing nice doesn’t seem to work with these lunatics.

• jeff milleker says:

I worked in a swine factory for 4.5 years due to wanting these animals to be treated with respect. I thought that if I quit the next person in line would come in and not treat them humanely. Next to animal fighting and animal factories these lab experiments have to be up there with the sickest things animals can go through. Jeff

• mary panos says:

I an so tired writing to these houses of horror to try to help innocent animalsthey are not listeningthese people are indeed sadistsno one seems to careUSDAsuch shame here in Americapity the poor helpless animals

• Kevin says:

This is really getting out of control! I can’t believe that they had put an innocent dog through this kind of torture. Dogs are said to be man’s best friend not man’s closest relative. Testing on animals like this won’t make much of a difference in life because animals have different bodies than humans. It is reasons like this that we are trying to stop animal cruelty. I had done a debate on Animal testing before and it had motivated me to help stop Animal cruelty! Gl to the people of PETA!

• Carla says:

If the dog was eating hay for petes’ sake was obviously hungray!! These people are nuts!!! What the heck is a heart gonna prove in ones’ throut!?? SHAME!!! I don’t have much faith in the USDA either they allow these places to continue to do what’s wrong!!

• Peter says:

I’m shocked by what I’ve just read and can’t really imagine what kind of SICK SICK PERSON would come up with such a SICK SICK IDEA like that.

• keith says:

” Gina” is spot on ! with her comments. It seems to me after endless years of peaceful campaign againt these evil people. only violent action will work. All the polite excuses are met with ridicule by these cretins. who carry on regardless in the knowledge that big bucks will always come their way for even more wothless abuses. ” JudithFFFA” if your out there a word from your goodself will be welcome. ” Thank you.”

• Mary says:

God almighty I think I am going to be sick. Decent people actually have to breathe the same air as this pieces of scum.

• SASHA says:

YES! BUNNYLOVE IS RIGHT! WE HAVE TO SPEAK UP FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NO VOICE! THE ANIMALS! ALL OF THEM! PLEASE DO YOUR PART AND MAKE THE CALL! BE POLITE BUT LET’S MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND THAT WE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON THERE. AND WE WILL FIGHT FOR THE RIGHTS OF THESE ANIMALS.I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I CALL ON MONDAY. LETS KEEP EACH OTHER INFORMED. LETS INSPIRER EACH OTHER AND GET GOING ON THOSE LETTERS AND PHONE CALLS!AND DON’T FORGET TO GO TO THEIR WEBSITE AND LEAVE A COMMENT.

• Gina says:

I’d like to send my opinion but I’m afraid it won’t be polite. Nice hasn’t worked with these type of animal exploiters in what decades? No one pays attention to rational debate being polite stating how horrific their useless experiments on animals are. In a perfect just world I’d like to see every animal research lab blown off the face of this earth with the researchers in the buildings as they go boom! I wouldn’t do anything violent personally only wishful thinking. But I wouldn’t spit on any one of the researchers if they were a big ball of flaming fire running toward me and begging me to put the flames out. They research doing useless painful deadly experiments that fail only to repeat the same useless failed deadly experiments AGAIN AGAIN because the government pays them to regardless for each every experiment repeated no matter how many times and how little it does to cure even one human disease. May all vivisectors burn in hell for the misery suffering death they choose to needlessly inflict on millions of voiceless victims the animals motivated by profit ie. $$$ greed. And what these vile egotistical sadistic monsters have done is even worse since it’s not even under the pretense of ‘finding cures for diseases’ who does these things and WHEN WILL IT FINALLY END.

• Bunnylove says:

Even those who visit PETA.org regularly might read this forum and think someone else will make the call and or write the letter but let’s be the ones to call this company and write a few polite sentences protesting violations of the Animal Welfare Act. I already emailed Mr.DiCorleto and left a voice message on his direct phone line that is shown above.It only takes a few minutes. These animals only have us to speak out for them.