Confessions of a Jewish *** Vegan

Written by PETA | July 9, 2009

I’m willing to bet my last Goldenberg Peanut Chew that you love comedian/writer Carol Leifer just as much as I do. Even if her name doesn’t sound familiar, millions of Seinfeld fans can thank her for penning countless “I-laughed-so-hard-vino-shot-out-of-my-nose!” moments.

Carol recently tossed all animal products from her fridge—no more milk stolen from calves, no more eggs from miserable hens, and no more bacon from pigs gone crazy from confinement—and she sat down with PETA to film the following vegetarian testimonial (Before you watch it, I suggest you put that wine down, lest you spray Chardonnay all over your keyboard):

Other Viewing Options

One of my favorite lines: “I recently became vegan because I felt that as a Jewish lesbian, I wasn’t part of a small enough minority. So now I’m a Jewish lesbian vegan.”

If that video wasn’t enough hilarity for you, you can check out here and here for other versions of the video. Plus, we’ve got 10 copies of Carol’s book—When You Lie About Your Age, The Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror—to give away too. Win yours by letting us know, in the comments section below, the funniest thing you tell people when they ask why you went vegetarian.

The contest ends on July 23, 2009, and we’ll choose the 10 most hilarious comments as the winners on July 24, 2009. Be sure to read our privacy policy and terms and conditions, as you’re agreeing to both by commenting. Good luck!

Written by Karin Bennett

Comments

• Jehan Salem says:

I want the book so…here I go 1I’m not eating corpses anymore just all the zombie fashion I leave it to playing Resident Evil. 2When I was in a poor country I was all about eating fresh meat now that I’m in a rich one I die for tofu. So clearly THIS is evolution. 3Even my poop has greater composting quality than yours Who’s your daddy? My crap rocks!

• Abby says:

On one occasion a coworker kept harassing me about being a vegetarian. She was the wife of a farmer so that explains it all. I needed to come up with a statement that was fitting to her life. So I said “I became vegetarian because one of these days the insects will rule the world and we will be prayer like crazy for them to be vegetarians. I’m hoping that they will realize I am vegetarian and pass me over to eat people like you.” She stopped bothering me after that.

• AAG says:

Veganism should also be seen as acceptable among conservatives. I am a conservative Catholic that is also a social and fiscal conservative. I agree with “barbara” veganism should be viewed as average with average people. Everything she wrote makes sense.

• lynda downie says:

I remember Carol Leifer’s stand up in the 80’s. I just loved her stuff. So good to hear she’s become a vegan.

• Michelle says:

Which is a smaller minority Judaism or Wicca? In Judaism you cannot eat pigs but Wiccan law says “Do as you will as it harms none.” That means no hurting yourself animals or anyone else.

• Denise says:

I don’t condone cruelty to animals at all.The Bible is very specific about killing the animalnot torturing the animal.I believe what the Bible proclaims about nothing harming on his Holy mountain.God Bless!

• Brien Comerford says:

On a Jewish related matter one of the most compelling books to read is Judaism and Global Survival by Richard H. Schwartz. He accentuates the moral spiritual and planetary imperatives of vegetarianism.

• barbara says:

Sorry it’s all very well and I’m really glad for her but we must stop promoting veganism as the choice of a minority of people as the choice of a small hippie group with non conventional ideas. We should make it clear that vegan IS mainstream food the vegan IS the healthiest food that your regular normal neighbour is vegan. All these VIP’s aren’t really helping the cause. Sorry but the marketing of veganism is awful. It has to become much more mainstream. Men athletes normal people have to advertize it. Not VIP’s or people from minority groups..

• Canaduck says:

Oh and I don’t really think there’s anything TOO funny that I say about going vegan but since I am already allergic to soy wheat and nuts I do sometimes joke that I didn’t feel like my diet was restricted enough. Note it’s been 5 years though and I’m still finding plenty of new foodsmeals that I’m not allergic toso those of you with dietary restrictions shouldn’t feel like they will hold you back from a healthy and delicious vegan lifestyle!

• Canaduck says:

Haha that is too funny! I’m a Jewish vegan myself but not a lesbian…so she’s got me beat there. Way to go Carol! I’ll have to check out her book!