China to Approve Non-Animal Cosmetics Test

Written by PETA | May 7, 2012

Thanks to guidance from PETA-funded scientists, Chinese officials are now in the final stages of approving the country’s first non-animal testing method for cosmetics ingredients.

stefan1234/iStockphoto.com

The 3T3 Neutral Red Uptake Phototoxicity Assay, which tests chemicals for their potential toxicity when they come into contact with sunlight—and which is already in widespread use in the U.S. and the E.U.—is expected to be accepted in China by late summer.

Last summer, when we discovered that China was requiring animal tests for cosmetics to be funded by cosmetics companies—including Avon, Estée Lauder, and Mary Kay, which for years had been on PETA’s list of companies that don’t test cosmetics on animals—PETA awarded a grant to scientists at the Institute for In Vitro Sciences. These scientists traveled to China several times to offer their expertise and guidance in replacing animal-based tests—which are cruel and unreliable—with non-animal alternatives.

PETA is delighted to have helped jump-start the acceptance of non-animal tests in China and congratulates Chinese officials for acting swiftly to implement the first in a wide range of non-animal tests!

Comments

• Jenny says:

I agree with Valhalla and Ann – don’t think I will ever buy from Avon again (and they make some of my favourite products). Even if the animal testing is successfully stopped its only because of the work from the scientists. Avon and the others have shown their preparedness to undertake this evil practice and will receive no more of my money!

• la marca monique says:

BRAVO FOR THIS GOOD ACTION IN CHINA

• valhalla says:

Great news -if China doesn’t have any animal testing -it leaves those who were going to jump on the band wagon (Avon -Mary Kay- Estee Lauder )with egg on their face as they have shown their true colours ,as they were prepared to allow the testing and shown they have no-principle or integrity,they have lost me.

• Marja Uusi-Autti says:

Stop animals testing it´s wrong. MURRRR…RÄYH! We are so angry.

• judydede96 says:

身为一个中国女孩,我想说这是我今天看到的最令人兴奋的消息!动物权利现在是我们班的热点话题,相信我们中国未来能做得更好,因为还有这么多靠谱的组织和有善心的人!As a Chinese girl, I bet this is the most cheerful news I get today! Animal rights is now a common and hot topic in our classroom. I believe China will make further progress in the near future as there and so many caring organizations and compassionate people!: )

• Ann says:

Thank you Peta for fighting to banish animal testing of cosmetics in China. Its a sickening concept, and I can’t believe humans can actually support this. I have also lost all respect for Avon, Estee Lauder and Mary Kay, and no longer buy from them, although I used to quite a bit. I now buy almost exclusively from Lush company, which opposes animal testing (EVEN when it interferes with profitability!) and makes many vegan products. Their cosmetics and hair products work so much better anyhow, perhaps because they were not made with cruelty. For makeup, I check Petas list before I buy.

• Krystie says:

So true ‘alien’. I find it heartbreaking to watch things, but I do it for them (the animals) I don’t walk away, I cry, I moan I get angry but I force myself to watch the whole films especially earthlings, and for my uni assignment I challenged people to do the same. And I agree it is an unfortunate blessing, I’ve always believed knowledge is the key to wanting to help and that is what I have striven to achieve my entire life, making those who choose to ignore become very much aware and that by choosing to ignore you are contributing to their suffering and there is no difference to ignoring a film then if you saw them dying right in front of you! It’s people like everyone here that makes me believe in a hope for humanity because to be honest if I could be Hitler I would gladly; kill all those who don’t deserve to live in a world they can’t respect and respect ALL earthlings as well. As said in earthling “earthling- one who inhabits the earth; and since we all inhabit the earth. And since animals and humans both share this planet we are all considered earthlings”

• bjg55 says:

AM AGREEING with you ALIEN. You are so right.

• bjg55 says:

SABRINA i agree with yuo. they still cats and dogs and eat and kill them in n appauling evil way. VALHALA, AGREE WITH YOU . i AINT BUYING avon NO MORE , NEVER estee Launder way too expensive, stupid silly prices, and MAR KAY we dont have in UK. (dont tink so). I hope that they do REALLY STOP testing on these poor poor, beautiful animals. GOD bless them x

• Moppe's Mum says:

I’m thrilled to hear about Avon as I had COMPLETELY stopped buying from them. Once I am assured that no innocent animals are suffering torture and carnage , I will buy from them once again. I too received the email from Mary Kay stating that they had no choice. What an incredible insult to customers who had been faithful for years, even DECADES, in my case.

• Sandra Teager says:

Animals deserve to be treated with respect too! Thankyou!

• Nicola Marsden says:

@Alien – That is so beautifully said and so, so right – sadly…

• lorena says:

por lo que yo he visto china es un pais de costumbres crueles con los animales, este es un grana paso paar dejar animales sin sufrimiento.

• Jade Simpson says:

Finally some progress.

• DHoff says:

I agree with Jeremy S. While I am glad to hear that more animals won’t be tortured, I have lost respect for Avon, Estee Lauder, Mary Kay and the companies they own, ie Clinique. Mary Kay actually emailed me a statement that they “had no choice.” Ummm, yes you do, DON’T SELL TO CHINA until they change the law!

• sabrina says:

GREAT they are not going to be testing on animals for cosmetics and everything that goes with it, BUT the still kill DOGS and CATS for thier meat….

• Ana Cordeiro says:

let the animals live in peace !!!!

• valhalla says:

3 companes that went to china to continue their revolting testing on animals should be boycotted ,I know personally that avon -lied ,I even had one of their representatives ring me assuring me they did not test on animals as I had told one of their avon ladies that was the reason I didn’t buy avon and I -never- ever will as they contributed to animals being -tortured -unecessarily and -lying so blatently.

• alien says:

Everyone who enjoys meat, fur, and other benefits from animals who are tortured on a regular basis, should be forced to watch the documentary,” earthlings’,..perhaps then a dialogue, or meaningful discussion would happen The sad truth is, that people have the option of ignoring the haunting images, horrific violence, and ultimate holocaust that is going on as we speak,…everyday. People like you and I, and of course peta, have the unfortunate blessing to be aware of this cruelty, but most people are ignorant of it. Our battle is one that requires the enlightenment of others.

• BuzzBee says:

I’m not sure why some people here are interpreting this that only China is interested in non-animal testing. This is the first non-animal testing lab in CHINA, not in the world. Many US companies are guilty, but there are HUNDREDS of US cosmetics and scientific comapnies that do not test on animals. The US has a long way to go, but we are not entirely in the dark ages. China, too, has a long and storied history of cruelty to animals. PETA, please be careful as to how you title your headlines, OK? Some seem confused by them. Peace out.

• Jeremy S. says:

Thank God, but in the process I have lost all respect for some of my favorite companies, including Avon and Estee Lauder.

• Leslie Daryani says:

yay!

• Rajesh says:

Hello Mr. “thisGuy”, thanks you made me laugh a lot today. -> You are saying we can suffer the animals since they are all the time suffered in the wild!!! Women are dominated by men badly and treated as slaved and/or toys in some countries all the time Kids are abused and are turned into terrorists in some countries all the time Aprox 500,000 rapes are committed every year in South Africa all the time According to you logic can we adopt these cultures as well??? Please think once you say something. In US Approximately 19,011 land animals are killed for meat eating not for every year, not for every month, not for every day, it is for EVERY MINUTE. It is just in United States. Imagine the number in entire world. It is just land animals imagine the number including marine animals all around the world. Watch this video COMPLETELY to see how far our psychology is correct http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vWbV9FPo_Q Before coming to conclusion please watch complete video and see what they are saying. -> You are saying PETA and Vegans trying to play GOD??? We are only trying to be humane and requesting everybody to be humane. -> “Humanity angers you with ignorance” spare sometime with patience and see the facts. Stop closing your ears, eyes and mouth for a while and get to know where is the ignorance. I was one among you non-vegans till I get to know these facts.

• dr sima shoumer says:

• Olivia says:

This is an amazing start to hopefully the end of animal testing every where and forever!

• glendalee says:

im happy and everything but there still alot of work to be done like we need to stop the fur company because there stilll animals being abused and we just need to end it for good every animals need to be safe

• Animal Girl says:

I’m so glad!!! But…. Kyle is right,they are still skinned alive :(

• kyle says:

There still skinning animals alive for fur :(

• Jill says:

This is a great win for animals. Im so ashamed that the United States lives in the dark ages. The problem in this country(US) is everyone is so money hungrey. Im so ashamed of this country. Come on US get on the band wagon and have some compassion.

• Jessika says:

I was selling Avon through my mom’s website. It wasn’t doing any good but hopefully this will be for real and that the company will continue to stop testing on animals.

• meepmeep says:

WOOO!!! Score for the vegetarians!! And PETA. :D

• thisguy says:

Animals suffer all the time in the wild, there is no need to try to play god and stop it all. humanity angers me with its ignorance.

• Céline says:

Well done China!!! Well done Chinaaaaaa!!!!! Thousand of hugs! <3

• Claudia Zatarain says:

I’m so happy to know that China is interested in alternative methods. Animals shouldn’t suffer just to get cosmetics. Those tests which involve animals are not necessary anymore. There are modern ways. I hope all Chinese people support alternative methods.

• Gail says:

Bravo PETA and thank you Chinese officials!

• annie says:

Thank you Peta. I just hope they stick to their promise.As we all know China has an atrocious record for animal cruelty.

• patricia henriquez says:

恭喜, Gōngxǐ, Congratulations!!!!! Zhōngguó Fēicháng hǎo, 中國 非常好, China very well!!!!!! Great job PETA!!!!!!

• Judy Sheldon says:

Thank you to China for ending the suffering of those animals!

• Denise says:

Can we trust China to follow through?

• Evelyn vazquez says:

Stop it

• Giulia Oliveira says:

Thanks to PETA! NO TESTS ON ANIMALS! GO VEGAN!

• Ilaria says:

Hope they will choose the right way! NO TESTS ON ANIMALS! GO VEG!

• Mimi says:

Thank You China and PETA. When I receive mail with sad stories regarding animals I start to feel depressed. Then I read stories like this one and start to feel better. I didn’t have to take a drug to feel better. Thank you for posting articles/stories that show us there is still some compassion in this world….

• Solun says:

Finally. It took them very, very long time…

• C says:

So proud of China!

• Domcia x says:

YAAAAAAAAAY! another Victory for Animals! well done everyone and PETA! <3

• Joanna says:

I’m so happy reading this! I’ve been in a very bad mood lately but now feel a little bit better thanks to this news.

• Siraganda says:

Thank you PETA – you are really great! You made my day! And thank you China – for being the first in this step!

• Rex's Mom says:

So does this mean that Avon and the other companies will go back to NOT testing on animals? Can I start using Avon products again?

• Anna says:

China!? Wow, would have never guessed! Good news to hear though.