A Little Bird Told Us … Hollywood Gossip

Written by Michelle Kretzer | December 30, 2011

Pink is proving once again that she has a big heart. After someone threw a puppy off a Los Angeles overpass and into the river below, Pink donated $5,000 for emergency surgery, saving the young dog’s life.

Actor Dawn Olivieri (of Vampire Diaries fame) might have jumped into the river herself. She told Marie Claire magazine, “I will stop my car if there’s a stray animal along the side of the road. I’ve spent hours trying to catch lost dogs wearing collars so I can help people get their pets back.”

There were no animals on Paula Patton‘s back at the Mission: ImpossibleGhost Protocol premiere in Moscow—her rep tells us that she braved Russia’s cold in a faux-fur coat.

Ke$ha recently traveled to the Ukutula Lion Park and Lodge in South Africa to help rehabilitate an orphaned lion cub. Although she fell for the cub (now named Ke$ha), she said, “I was glad to leave my lion, because an animal like that should live in the wild. Keeping [a lion] confined is really just inhumane.”

When True Blood star Kristin Bauer thinks something is inhumane, she spells it out. When the actor visits her family, she writes, “Tested on animals” in black marker on her family’s products that aren’t cruelty-free.

The cruelty-free and fabulous Lea Michele graces DoSomething.org’s list of Top 20 Celebs Gone Good for 2011 in honor of her work with PETA, including her ever-present animal-friendly tweets. Case in point:

Comments

• Jackie says:

You go, Pink & Ke$ha!

• Laura S. says:

I think that these celebrities are right in their support of banning horse-drawn carriages. I’ve heard the arguments- jobs lost, the horses don’t really suffer, etc.- and I think it’s bull. If you support your family by doing something cruel, it doesn’t mean that you should be allowed to continue. They can replace the carriages with classic cars, anyway. Also, these horses have a high turnover rate and poor quality of life. If you take a large, powerful animal that is built to run in open fields, and instead put it in a loud, cramped city, it is less than ideal. Horses should not be seen as tools for entertainment, and should instead be respected and adopted out to caring guardians.

• CarriageHorseLover says:

I agree with Russ C’s post. I think some of these celebs are doing more harm than good regarding the animals they profess to love, not to mention callously campaigning for real working class people to lose their jobs and livelihoods should the NYC horse-drawn carriages be banned as they wish. Carriage driving is not cruel. There are plenty of lows and regulations already on the books to protect the NYC horses from abuse- not to mention three city agencies that have oversight responsibility for the horses. I wold also note that some of the celebs making anti-carriage horse noises don’t mind being in movide that feature those soame horse-drawn carriages and laughiing all the way to the bank to deposit their obscenely large paychecks. Why should I or anyone else care what they say or obey their whims. I for one will take a carriage ride anytime I can afford to do so.

• KM says:

Good to see that big names in Hollywood are doing something more meaningful than having just reality shows or short marriages. My new year’s resolution for 2012 will be to be as environmentally friendly as possible. That includes making sure that my family does not buy or use products that involved animal cruelty or harmed animals in any way. I am a Hindu, and a well known Hindu saint, Sai Baba, preached that God is in all living beings from plants and trees to dogs and humans. There is a story that a female devotee of Sai Baba was once pestered that the the bread she so lovingly made for Him was taken by Him and thrown to a hungry dog. When she asked why He threw the food to the dog instead of eating it Himself, He said, “The appeasement of the dog’s hunger is the same as mine. The dog has a soul, the creature may be different but hunger is felt by all. Though some speak it, others are dumb and cannot say that they are hungry.” By feeding the dog, she also fed Sai Baba as well. Thus, kindness and compassion towards any living being, whether its a plant or a monkey, is kindness and compassion towards God. I wish more people would adopt this attitude of respect towards all living beings.

• Web Banners says:

I am also love Pink’s tweet about the fur coat.

• Vanessa says:

Now those are real celebrities!

• Russ C says:

I think the horse and carriage ride issue is being blown out of proportion. These horses are not in any pain, are not cold, and are in no way being abused or in harm. These animals are trained to not react to city traffic or numerous amounts of people. By not allowing these horse and carriage rides, we will be cutting out jobs that people need to support their families, not to mention create many romantic nights for couples all across the country.

• Ashley says:

I love Pink’s tweet about the fur coat. I can’t believe that anyone still wears stuff like that. It’s gross and there is no excuse for it. When you wear a fur coat you look like an idiot wearing a bear costume. I seem to be allergic to them as well. Everytime someone in a fur coat sits next to me in a theater or wherever I start to cough and choke uncontrollably and have to move far away from the fur. I have never had such a reaction to a live animal though. I think it’s because live animals actually keep their fur clean when it is on their bodies where it should be, by gooming themselves several times a day, while a fur coat is not cleaned nearly as often and dust and other forms of filth build up in it.

• Darcy says:

It is so refereshing to see these stars speak out on the behalf of animals who have no voice. I do everything I can to help but their voices are heard more so its awesome they speak up. But why the Kardashians (especially Kim) keep being so popular is beyond belief. She has said on more than one occasion animals annoy her and she wears fur. A selfish,selfish person! But thanks to all the other compassionate stars who stand up and speak out for animals!!!!

• billy williams says:

Hooray for all these people!-After reading about celebs who were harmful to animals(Kim Kardashian rings a bell)-It’s nice to know there are still people who care about them,Good 4 them!