CBS Kills Animals for Ratings

Written by PETA | September 27, 2007

Les Moonves, CBS News/Creative Commons
Les_Moonves_CBS.jpg

The real villain here is a fellow named Les Moonves, who runs CBS, and under whose leadership the network has become renowned for soliciting and airing acts of cruelty to animals in an effort to boost ratings. Most people are familiar with the Survivor stunts where the contestants are made to kill animals or drink their blood, but apparently Moonves and CBS felt a need to take the shock factor up just another notch by having kids do the killing, as happened in the latest episode of Kid Nation. Honestly, I hate to call any attention to CBS’s new show so they can tag it as “controversial” as a way of getting more viewers, but Moonves needs to hear from people about this latest episode, in which a group of children persuade the other kids on the show to chop off chickens’ heads as a way of getting protein in their diet. Many of these kids had grown close to the animals during the show, and some were clearly traumatized by the experience.

Please click here to let Les Moonves know that encouraging kids to kill animals is a new low for him (which is saying something), and that he needs drop these lousy stunts right now, no matter how good they may be for his ratings.

Comments

• c. says:

Mars You are so incorrect about kids and guns. You really need to do some serious research. You act like you know everything and it seems to me that all you like to do is argue just to argue. You seem to always have to be right. Well heres’s a news flash nobody is right all the time including you. You have grossly ingnored the point I was trying to make and the meaning of what I was saying. You say your child is three reads and kills? That’s very interesting to me being that a gunbow and arrow ewhat ever murder weapon etc.seems to be pretty heavy for a child to liftespecially a 3 year old. I think you need to be honest here. What books can she read on her own? I would like to know being that I’m a reading specialist. It’s sad that you believe teaching kids to Murder is okay. Does anyone else agree with what I’ve said ? I think Mars needs some help here.

• Kim says:

Not only does Kid Nation depict violance towards animals but violance and abuse towards children. How bad do their parents need money ? aparantly bad enough to subject their off spring to discomfortstress and pain.On top of it all we have exploited animals enough in this country. CBS thinks we are a bunch of uneducated violent blood eating morans!

• Maya says:

Airel that’s a great question about trees and I may as well speak about this since I’m now studying conservation and as a vegeterian I’ve heard the “plant suffering” comments SO many times as I’m sure you have also. First of all yes there are people who care for trees not “doctors” per say but biologists who worry about the diseases usually from invasive species that kill entire tree species. The American elm and chestnut trees are doing very poorly in New England almost extinct. There are biologists who are racing to find cures for diseases that are now killing beeches pines and birch trees. We may lose them too. We shouldn’t think of the tree issue from a standpoint of causing the tree pain but from a standpoint of trees being part of the lifeblood of the planet. Each tree species contributes to every living thing in the ecosystem and I give you my professional guarantee if there were no trees we would all be gone very quickly. We should be able to use plants and trees but in a sustinable way.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Hi Ariel Thanks for all your great posts. Maybe the balance of this issue can be struck based on the intent of the writer. Some are obviously just flamebaiters attempting to agitate and should generally be ignored. Others may feel they are presenting a legitimate counterpoint to standard AR beliefs. I think the latter group should be addressed partly because they may in fact have an open and variable mind on the subject and partly because it helps us refine and solidify our own beliefs. In that regard “antis” can actually help strengthen our knowledge base and resolve. Anyway I think it’s the type of thing we just have to play by ear. Cheers!

• Mars says:

Read your own posts and those you group with Mike Q. It is your bunch that harps the “if a person harms animals then they will harm humans” statements.

• Mike Quinoa says:

I’ll try posting again Mars I’ve already beat you at this argument. The proof is on your plate in front of you. Plants are consumed indirectly in far greater numbers by meateaters since the animals they eat generally consume vast amounts of plant food. And meateaters eat plants as well as animals. This means you kill more plants in the process of eating animals. Thus you are responsible for more suffering by plants and animals than the amount of suffering created by a solely planteating vegan. By the way I’m still waiting for a response from you on your statement “Those individuals that have developed the mentality that animal and human life are equal are the ones committing violent acts against both human and animal.” Give me some proof of that doozy.

• Ariel says:

Hi Mike and Michele! I see that Michele will be away for a while and not be reading this I started to write to both of you last eve. but somehow couldn’t get it across what I wanted to say in the way that I wanted to say it because of certain peering eyes. On second thought they can’t understand what they read anyway so what’s the difference right? Anyway Mike I understand and agree with your comments for the reasons you gave and I’m not out to knock any activist’s approach. of course you know neither did Michele Your comments certainly are “succinct and informative.” And I REALLY like your idea about cut and paste for the “ad nauseums.” but the reason why they are ad nauseums as we know is because they don’t read things anyway When I attempted to write to both of you last eve. ironically I used the same description about the same old usual “ad nauseums” as did Michele in her last post “troublemakers.” That’s why I came to my conclusion to ignore them on a personal onetoone basis because they really only want attention with their nonsense no matter who they are and they don’t deserve to have such attention because it’s not fair to the animals and to the dignity of ar’s activism. So then I figured a compromise to the situation only to make open statements which would refute them and is easy enough and at the same time decent newcomers will be reading educational comments about ar’s which I think wouldn’t come across as us being “argumentative” with the nuts who are a waste of time. As always Mike and Michele you are dynamic!

• Mars says:

Ariel there are plenty of meds for trees and the doctors are called Arborists.I suppose the name “tree surgeon” is conviently unknown to you.

• Ariel says:

As far as I know there are only hospitals for human animals and nonhuman animals to alleviate their pain suffering infections and sutures for open wounds and amputations. As far as I know certain infections can become systemic and cause death if not treated. Has anybody out there ever come across a hospital and meds for trees?

• Michele says:

By the way I am heading out on my honeymoon today yay! and probably will not have access to the internet I think I might go into PETAfiles withdrawal! I look forward to catching up on the new topics when I get back next week.

• Michele says:

Mike I agree with what you are saying about readers other than those who recycle their “arguments”. But as a parent of an 11 year old the “discussions” we animal rights people keep trying to have with these closeminded people remind me very much of trying to have a rational discussion with a child. The biggest difference is that as my son gets older the more receptive he is to my statements to him not that he would ever admit that or let me see directly that he agrees or plans on following through with what I have asked!. The closeminded individuals here are adults who do not seem capable of growing. I propose that we ignore the comments made by the usual trouble makers and for the sake of new readers and those who might be on the fence about the issues we make general comments such as “soandso’s statements are falsespeciousmisleading. Check out PETA’s or other relevant source section located at insert link here for information about insert issue here”. Any thoughts? The copying and pasting also sounds good for responding to comments by newer readers.

• Mars says:

Does a sheep die from being sheared? If you lose an arm does it mean you die? Hack the leg off a lamb and the lamb will continue to grow just like a tree and just like a tree the limb dies. ” So don’t try to justify the amount of suffering you create with the comparatively miniscule amount vegns are responsible for.” Now let’s see you prove that statement. You like asking for proof so let’s see yours.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Michele Thanks for all your excellent posts. I understand completely what you’re saying. We seem to debate the same issues ad nauseam. The problem perhaps is there are probably a lot of people new to the PETA Files animal rights and vegetarianism every day. Apart from the obvious and plentiful flamebaiters if we don’t challenge and disprove antiAR statements someone new to the site may accept these statements as fact. It wouldn’t surprise me that a lot of the “anti” posts are from animal industry shills. We are here for the love of animals they are here for…? Also I do think it helps to refine and solidify our own factbase and beliefs by doing the necessary research to debunk their statements. And since they seem to recycle the same tired old arguments maybe to save time we should just copy and paste our previous rebuttals.

• Mike Quinoa says:

I know you love to set up straw men and knock them down. You’re not going to win this one. As an omnivore you kill far more plants than I do. So I’m guilty of killing plants. Well you’re guilty many times over AND you kill animals as well. Can you not comprehend this? And a plant is a “creature” a living organism characterized by voluntary movement? You said “Try hacking of the limb of your fruit tree and see what happens. ” Have you never heard of pruning? Does your lawn die when you cut the grass? Nobody ever said that vegns never kill a living thing. But they do try to pursue the path of least harm. So don’t try to justify the amount of suffering you create with the comparatively miniscule amount vegns are responsible for.

• Michele says:

Mike Q there is really no point in wasting your succinct informative comments on certain people on these blogs. They will never listen to you or others because they are not ready to do so. They will always manage to respond with some ridiculous or circular argument hoping for a response. I have decided with the encouragement of Ana and Ariel thanks! to refocus and basically ignore these people. There are certainly individuals reading these blogs who are receptive to the information provided by PETA and its supporters so that should be our focus besides encouraging each other in our efforts to help animals.

• Mars says:

” Try hacking off the leg of a lamb and see what happens to its owner.” Try hacking of the limb of your fruit tree and see what happens. Similar results. “That’s right they are potentially but the parent plant need not be killed to obtain nourishment.” So if a cow aborts a calf then it’s OK to eat the calf or to take the unborn calf from the womb and eat it since the parent survives? “Locomotion It’s called the avoidance of pain.” No locomotion is movement without regard as to the reason why.So if the dog doesn’t run away it’s not feeling pain? “”.Do some research and you will find that kids who learn to use guns at an early age and go out to kill animals are the kids most likely to take guns to school to kill whoever for whatever reason. ” Not true. Most school shootings though in rural areas but not all are committed by those that do not hunt or have harmed anythinghuman or animal in their past. ” So agian this child probably can’t READ yet because he’s only fivebut he KNOWS how to KILL. ” Also untrue. If you watch a construction crew build a house does that make you capable of doing so? Not hardly.My child starting reading at 3 and hunts. Funny she hasn’t killed anyone yet. Maybe because she understands there is a difference between animal and human life that seems lost on you and all murders. “Yeah we all know we’re going to die. That doesn’t give us the right to willfully shorten the life of another creature or our own.” Including the living beings called plants? Or do you conviently overlook the fact that plants are living creatures that you kill before their time.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars Locomotion It’s called the avoidance of pain. That’s from my high school biology. Let’s say plants do feel pain equally to animals. By eating meat you cause more plant suffering not even mentioning deforestation for cattle grazing than by eating the plants directly. It seems some people have a lot of difficulty grasping this concept. So PETA has stopped you from making your own dietary choices? Let me guess you were heading for the butcher shop and one of the Lettuce Ladies sucker punched you. Please don’t claim you’re being victimized. That’s total BS and you know it. “Fruits are baby plants killed before they can develop.” That’s right they are potentially but the parent plant need not be killed to obtain nourishment. Try hacking off the leg of a lamb and see what happens to its owner. Sorry to burst your bubble but when you eat part of an animal you are eating what’s called “meat”. If you dispute this take it up with your butcher but don’t be surprised if he looks at you if you’re from another planet. Don’t forget what happened to the Martians in “The War Of The Worlds” written by H. G. Wells a vegetarian Yeah we all know we’re going to die. That doesn’t give us the right to willfully shorten the life of another creature or our own.

• halo snipe says:

HEY CYNDI you can eat meat and not get cancer Really just abnormal cells at the same time. It’s called CONTROL!

• c says:

Comment to Mars not Payel Sil. First off do not twist what I said in my 92907 blog comment. I’m assuming you were referring to my comment when you quoted “first of all children should learn to be caring responsible and compassionate human beings”.Do some research and you will find that kids who learn to use guns at an early age and go out to kill animals are the kids most likely to take guns to school to kill whoever for whatever reason. So yes there is proof that kids who grow up hunting grow up to see killing as a way to dominate and win.And therefore have less regard for life. And why did you bring up farm animals? are you saying it’s okay for a child to see an animal slaughtered? FYI there was an episode I think it was on discovery channel or national geographic a couple years ago about the killing of animals for trophies etc. and one murderer actually took his five year old son with him hunting and he commented that his son was “excited” to see the trail of blood that was from the unfortunate creature that he shot. Tell me then what are the odds that this child will grow up compassionate and caring? Afterall at the age of five he got excited over blood from a wounded animal ? So agian this child probably can’t READ yet because he’s only fivebut he KNOWS how to KILL.

• sherri says:

Lisa Please stop speaking for everyone who grew up in the south. You could be quite an embarrassment for some who DID grow up in the “real” south. I just have to ask would that mean there is a fake south?

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

Judith I am so very sorry you feel that way. I hope what ever deep seeded anger that burns inside you someday is quenched. I doubt that it will though. I respect and admire your commitment to cause but I am disappointed in your close minded point of view. I hope someday you are better able to understand people with different backgrounds and beliefs without bigotry. I assure you I have physically and emotionally healthy children but I do appreciate your concern. All the best.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Maya Thanks for your comments. I realize humans are opportunistic eaters. Still studies indicate that veg or nearveg societies seem to enjoy the greatest health and longevity. There maybe a biological reason why killing animals repulses some of us. Clearly in North America our diet among other things causes a whole raft of health problems. But I know what you mean. Every improvement is a small step in the right direction.

• Mars says:

Mike 1Since when has locomotion been evidence of any being feeling or having the ability to feel pain? It’s every bit probable that plants do feel pain just not in the same way or perception that we do.Just like animals. 2Yep I’m a vegan. I just like my veggies in meat form as well.That hamburger patty more then likely is more plant then animal if bought from a store. 3Fruits are baby plants killed before they can develop. 4Animals will die anyway as well. “And since when has anyone ever prevented you from following your dietary choices? ” Ever heard of PETA? “I think that the animal rights movement has the right to go “overboard” ” No more then anybody else does within the law.

• rojo says:

mike you miss my point hitlers dietry habits don’t interest me either I just don’t get the logic behind peoplenot you claiming einstein to be a vegetarianhe was for a couple of yearsand how good that is yet denying hitler was one. As if either proves anything.

• c. says:

Comment back to Payel Sil. First off do not twist what I said in my 92907 blog comment. I’m assuming you were referring to my comment when you quoted “first of all children should learn to be caring responsible and compassionate human beings”.Do some research and you will find that kids who learn to use guns at an early age and go out to kill animals are the kids most likely to take guns to school to kill whoever for whatever reason. So yes there is proof that kids who grow up hunting grow up to see killing as a way to dominate and win.And therefore have less regard for life. And why did you bring up farm animals? are you saying it’s okay for a child to see an animal slaughtered? FYI there was an episode I think it was on discovery channel or national geographic a couple years ago about the killing of animals for trophies etc. and one murderer actually took his five year old son with him hunting and he commented that his son was “excited” to see the trail of blood that was from the unfortunate creature that he shot. Tell me then what are the odds that this child will grow up compassionate and caring? Afterall at the age of five he got excited over blood from a wounded animal ? So agian this child probably can’t READ yet because he’s only fivebut he KNOWS how to KILL.

• Michele says:

john we got YOUR attention didn’t we? The wonderful people at PETA and other animal rights organizations learned a long time ago that they just did not get very far by asking nicely yes there have been some companies and individuals who have made changes that help animals after having been approached gently by PETA and others however these are the minority of situations unfortunately. Controversy gets attention and PETA has had some great controversial campaigns that get people really thinking and talking about the issues. I think that the animal rights movement has the right to go “overboard” given the billions and billions of animals who are needlessly tortured and killed every year by humans. It is absolutely disgusting that television networks get to profit from their pathetic shows. I have to wonder though about the viewing public who gets sucked into these “reality” shows. Are they so bored with their own lives that they have to imagine that this crap is real?

• john says:

know its getting sadyou guys would have 1000 more fans if you didnt take everthing overboard

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars said “Your side is the one forcibly making others do what you want them to do against their will.We are freedom you are antifreedom.” You are here of your own freewill are you not? And since when has anyone ever prevented you from following your dietary choices? If you feel a point of view is being forced on you why stay? Spin spin spin…

• Judith, Freedom Fighter says:

Dear Mr. Faux Dr. Let me get this straight Your Grandmother killed animals you kill animals and your daughters are “FASCINATED” by the death of innocent animals. I rest my case. If I were you thank Buddha I am not I would watch my back for children such as yours could be lethal. How very sad. Best of luck….

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars Re The killing of plants… Plants… 1 Have no evolutionary reason to perceive pain since they cannot locomote away from it. 2 Even if they can perceive pain plants are actually consumed indirectly in far greater numbers by meateaters since the animals they eat generally consume vast amounts of plant food. And meateaters eat plants as well as meat . About the only thing in a traditional hamburger that is not plantbased is the meat patty itself. 3 Are not always harmed in the process of harvesting e.g. many fruits. 4 Often are about to die anyway at the end of a growing season which is when they are usually harvested e.g. prior to the onset of winter and a killing frost.

• Ariel says:

Doug 93007 Your comments were excellent! as always As REAL ar’s activists we know that defining ourselves as ar’s activists is not a matter of “pick and choose” beliefs in order to accommodate ourselves instead of prioritizing the animals in all areas. Moving along with another interesting concept “things are born and then they die.” per lisa 100107. antiactivist I wonder how a “thing” can be born and then die. “Thing” is a nonliving object never has lived does not live never will live therefore “it” could not have been born and then die. Aside from living grass trees flowers etc. which are not born living beings such as human animals and the animals are born and then die. But in between those natural occasions that doesn’t give the right to kill. For the most part other than those unfortunate people who commit suicide all animals human and nonhuman have an intense desire to live to survive despite being in the most atrocious or lifethreathening situations. It is unconscienable for anyone to think they have the right to kill living feeling beings the animals to deny heshethem of their right to live.

• c. says:

comment to Halo Snipe what is it that’s not explained well to you? I dont know how much more “explainable ” I can be. Did anyone else not understand my comments that I made on 92907 blog?

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars said “Those individuals that have developed the mentality that animal and human life are equal are the ones committing violent acts against both human and animal.” Whoa! What is that supposed to mean and where did you come up with it? Where’s your verification and evidence for that whole post? It’s completely nonsensical. And Doc Cochran accused us of not being factbased. Sheesh!

• Ms. Leslie K Nelson says:

Sad sad sad Not only did they not have teachers or parents on set they had them KILL?!?! What’s next should these TV executes send our children to war and film that too? Or maybe a show about how to raise a serial killer? We as humans are regressing not advancing. Sad sad sad. LKN

• Mars says:

” It’s too bad you couldn’t see my POV sometimes” I do see your point of view. The difference is I’m not the one forcing that point of view on others.Those on this side really couldn’t care less if you eat meat or not and we would let you make the choice and only shine some light on the lies you’ve been told.Your side is the one forcibly making others do what you want them to do against their will.We are freedom you are antifreedom. “Mars you know people who get “squeamish” from killing a vegetable? ” You mean a person shouldn’t be sqeamish about killing a living being?Maybe because you’ve been taught that killing something that cannot speak for itself is OK.Since you don’t get sqeamish over the killing of your food then why would I be sqeamish over the killing of my food?

• Mike Quinoa says:

Rojo Frankly Hitler’s dietary choices couldn’t matter to me less. Naturally there are going to be some vegetarians who are bad people just as there are going to be vegetarians who are philanthropists. And the same is true of omnivores. Remember there are many vegetarians who couldn’t care less about animal welfare. What I object to is the antiveg promeat movement trying to get mileage out of triviality and their attempt to foist guilt by association. Hmm…let’s see Hitler was also male had a mustache was born in Europe etc. Does that mean you want to lay a guilt trip on every mustachioed European man?

• Allison says:

I was shocked that they killed the chickens. But the shows producers prompted the children to kill them which made me even more mad. The kids hadn’t even thought to kill until they were made to. I was pissed at the show in general. That poor girl who took care of the chickens was really upset too. The “council” totally strong armed her into thinking that the kids nation would fail if they didn’t kill those chickens. And that Taylor kid…i just hope that my kids don’t ever have friends like her.

• Maya says:

Mike I’m with you completely. I guess my point was just that in the whole scheme of things eating animals for food may not be ideal but if you take tribal groups for example then we can safely say that if it’s done by humans for sustinance then it’s not automatically evil. DON’T GET ME WRONG I’ve been a vegetarian for 20 plus years and my idea of a humane farm is light years from what really goes on. Very very few farmers would be able to live up to my personal standards. HOWEVER I do deeply beleive that if humans completely totally wiped out all forms of cruelty to animals eating meat would not be completely inexcusable if done in a very careful and humane manner. But that’s in an ideal world. Ultimately I think a vegetarian diet is the best bet however if someone lives an impeccable life towards animals they have the right to eat cagefree animals from eco friendly farms with minimal guilt.

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

As America has become more urbanized people have become more disconnected from their foods both plant and animal. I remember growing a huge garden in KC as a resident and having people walk by and have no idea what these plants in my garden were. I expect meat sources are the same. I grew up killing chickens pigs and cows. I never thought much of it. My grandmother would pluck a chicken off the ground and with a quick wrench of the neck the chicken was dispatched and soon on the table. I never once thought anything my grandmother did was cruel regarding these chickens and I still don’t it’s just what you do when you eat a chicken. For you to call my grandmother cruel is so preposterous it’s funny. I haven’t seen the show in question but I wish they were able to connect these kids to where their vegetable foods come from as well. Regarding encouraging me to become a cruel or criminal adult I don’t think that has ever been proven. I imagine that children who are cruel to animals torturing cats for instance have something missing to begin with. Always when slaughtering an animal we do it in the quickest way possible because to not do so is cruelty. Obviously there are a lot of horrible things that horrible people do in private or in the meat industry. Those people do not define me or my family. Would I take my daughters to an abbatior? Sure I already have they were fascinated and learned a lot.

• Melissa says:

Mars you know people who get “squeamish” from killing a vegetable? lol What kind of people do you hang out with? You are right about one thing though. A lot of people I knew say they would be vegetarian if they had to kill the animals themselves because they just don’t have it in their hearts to do it. That tells me that people should listen to their conscious and follow their hearts! Society makes it very easy not to though since eating meat is the norm. It’s how you grew up it’s something that you were taught you need it’s what your friends eat it’s involved in celebrations etc. Often the only one putting pressure on you to eat vegetarian or vegan is yourself. Although going vegetarian or vegan isn’t that difficult I admire the person who does either for moral reasons since it requires considering one’s own actions critically and honestly something that can be very uncomfortable and pondering one’s place in this world.

• Cyndi says:

Yes I quit watching Survivor because of the animals and when I saw the previews of Kid Nation voting on the chicken I didnt even watch the first one. Instead of putting these “reality” shows on tv there should be REALITY of videos of slaughterhouses what animals go through the mistreatment beathing infections downed animals. Why dont they put on the honesty Oh yes the all glorious $$$$$$$$$$ I am glad I am vegetarian keep eating meat everyone cancer soon will be knocking at your door!

• Mars says:

Children that learn that there is a difference between human life and animalplant life grow up very well adjusted and have and do run this country. Those individuals that have developed the mentality that animal and human life are equal are the ones committing violent acts against both human and animal.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars Touche. I’m glad you’re paying such close attention. It’s too bad you couldn’t see my POV sometimes but it seems your job not to.

• Payel Sil says:

Kids are our future.If they will be taught to kill animals in a most Devilish and Cruel sort of ways then a day might come when they wont hesitate to kill human being.This truely spoils the mental stability of a normal person.This might lead to the imbalance in a individual’s personalily.I doubt these people believe in GOD or not! when we cannot give life to some body then we have No rights to kill anybody!!!

• Mars says:

” First of all kids should be taught how to become caring responsible and compassionate humane beings. ” So every child brought up on a farm or a hunting household is uncaringunresponsible and un compassionate? What a ridiculous thought and not backed up by a single fact. “There’s a big difference between doing homework and killing a living breathing being on network TV. ” A plant is also a livingbreathing being but I doubt you would oppose them showing a carrot being cruely yanked from the earth and beheaded and eaten while still alive. “You have no idea if I’ve ever eaten meat or not I have so don’t speculate” Actualy I do. You have written here about your decision to go veg several times. That being so then you had to have eaten meat and meat products at one time.

• Holly says:

Happy World Vegetarian Day to everyone! October 1! Also this is Vegetarian awareness month. Enjoy everyone! Bring someone along into this way of life which brings peace to animals health to us and a better way of life for all.

• lisa says:

i agree totally with mars!! If yall grew up in the south and i mean the real south then you would not be grossed out by the killin of chickens on tv. i mean grow up!! it is the cycle of life. things are born then they die. get over it.

• Doug says:

Animal rights activists who eat animals. Interesting concept…. The animals of the world need as many friendly voices as they can getbe they supporters of animal welfare only or reformists or animal rights advocates. There are many compassionate people who spend their working hours and volunteer time helping animals in many different ways which is an admirable thing and deserves praise. But killing and eating an animal I would argue does not make one a defender of that animal’s rights. Perhaps this is nitpicking but people who have made sacrificesand have not just gone to the extent of what’s convenientto defend all animals’ rights may feel it an important and morally relevant distinction. For these people it’s not the ethical treatment of companion animals only that’s important but the ethical treatment of ALL animalsregardless of that animal’s utility to humans. Meateaters who call themselves animal rights activists may sleep better at night but their dietary choices are doing nothing for the billions of animals every year who are tortured and slaughtered merely for the taste of their flesh.

• John Perry says:

Maybe killing chickens is a good thing as the kids will realise where KFC actually comes from.