Caught on Tape: Elephants Shocked & Beaten

Written by PETA | May 10, 2011

Video footage just released by Animal Defenders International shows trainers with Have Trunk Will Travel—the company that provides elephants for rides at the Santa Ana Zoo—as they strike elephants with sharp metal-tipped bullhooks and shock them with electric prods. PETA has filed multiple complaints against this exhibitor, and we’ve repeatedly urged Santa Ana officials to end the rides. But so far, the zoo has refused.

The owners of Have Trunk Will Travel—which rents out elephants for movies and commercials and uses elephants in any other way that can make a buck—have defended using bullhooks, which can leave painful welts, abscesses, and puncture wounds, and have indicated that electric prods are a useful training “tool.” Elephants who would never do headstands or balance on pedestals—if given a choice—quickly learn to obey or suffer the painful consequences.

Please tell Santa Ana officials to stop supporting abuse like that seen on the video by discontinuing dangerous and cruel elephant rides.

Written by Jennifer O’Connor

Comments

• shweta says:

I hope noone after seeing this encourages anyone to watch this film. Its sad to see Hollywood succumb to this kind of cruelty. Besides sending this petition pls let us know on the status of this outcome. I have already posted this matter on FB and twitter. Hope people do spread the word …and please for a change lets just not talk. An organization like yourselves can use the power of the electronic and print media. This act and cruelty is barbaric!!!

• shweta says:

why cant you take strong legal action against this? instead of time and time posting such horrid events on your page! … where are the links after signing our petitions that have shown our request to whosoever been executed?? A strong organization like Peta can get electronic and print media involved!!! Do it instead of talking about it!!!

• ka says:

I am amazed that people continue to think this is o.k. I am disgusted that the actors who made this movie for money forgot to research the abuse first. Do not support an animal circus or zoos with elephants.

• Jeannette Halverson says:

ARE WE REALLY SURPRISED!!! AS LONG AS PEOPLE TURN A BLIND EYE AND CHOOSE TO NOT SEE THE TRUTH ABOUT THINGS CRUELTY WILL NEVER STOP. PEOPLE DON’T WANT THE TRUTH. AND THEY DON’ WANT TO DEPRIEVE THEMSELVES OF ANYTHING BE IT FOOD OR ENTERTAINMENT…THEY KNOW BUT CHOOSE NOT TO SEE IF IT INTERFERES WITH THEIR PLEASURE!!!! MOST PEOPLE WILL SAY OH THAT’S NOT ME, BUT HOW MANY KNOW OF THE UNETHICAL TREATMENT OF ANIMALS IN SLAUGHTER HOUSES AND STILL EAT MEAT. HOW MANY PEOPLE BUY A DOG AND LEAVE IT AT HOME FOR HOURS ON END AND DO NOT EVEN HAVE TIME TO TAKE THEM OUT….I COULD GO ON AND ON. THESE PEOPLE WILL FIND THE TREATMENT OF THIS ELEPHANT TERRIBLE BUT AT THE SAME TIME THEY ARE NOT MUCH BETTER….OH NO NOT ME! KEEP FOOLING YOURSELVES PEOPLE……

• silvana says:

killers!!does it yourself

• vancouver says:

This company is despicable. One way to end this suffering is TO STOP ATTENDING CIRCUSES AND ZOOS THAT HAVE ELEPHANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• XioNgMeow JieJie says:

We dont want to see elephants standing in their 2s. We dont want these elephants being abuse. Have a heart and use them with love.

• animal lover says:

all this cruelty to animals really has to stop

• Linda says:

I only wish the people who abuse elephants and other animals could face the same fate and then maybe they would STOP abusing animals.!!! We need stronger cruelty laws!!!!

• U Nordgren says:

It made me horrified and sick! Heartless!

• DY says:

WHY???? do they keep using and abusing these animals?? Is it really a trick to get a elephant to stand on a ball? – Stupid I hope all these circus’s and movies involving these majestic animals fail miserably.

• Christina Bruhn says:

What the heck did animals do to deserve this?? This is disgusting, horrendous and has to stop right NOW.

• JKL says:

@Jess, then don’t watch britney spears music video, operation dumbo drop, george of the jungle, and the slew of other movies this company provides animals for. nice to see the world is still so naive.

• Kathleen Senior says:

These people are defending their training practices and calling the people “extremists” that filmed this cruel and abusive training. I will not see the movie now, I have called and left a message for “Have Trunk, Will Travel”- we need to let them know that the world is watching and this video will be spread to everyone that we know, and these cruel, disgusting, and inhumane beatings, shocks, and torture of our precious animals will not be tolerated!

• Naomi Valenti says:

Instead of judging let´s do something about it. Lets get the problem resolved ;)

• Karoline Neumayer says:

Stop abusing animals! STOP!!!!!

• lisa says:

I wouldnt expect anymore from America what shocks me is for such a big Country like yourselves there seems to be no protection for animals or for these elephants but then you have smaller countries such as Bolivia and the UK where if such a case like this one is known and made aware of there is a national uproar and somthing is done to help the animals, i think the USA need to catch up and learn from other Countries you should really be ashamed of yourselves.

• Irene Leggett says:

Why am I not shocked that once again, the film industry has condoned abuse and torture of a gentle giant, all for the sake of money in their pockets. Shame on the film industry and all involved in the making of this film. Even film critics have shown concern over the level of abuse that the elephant receives in this disgusting film.

• Kristin Hauser says:

This is despicable and should be illegal. This company should be ashamed of their cruel and disgusting practices and absence of morals.

• yoli says:

im posting this video up on facebook! we need to step up for these animals!

• Sheila rawden says:

Something must be done to help this wonderful animal, how can man be so cruel beats me..

• deepa mathur says:

I don’t have the guts to even watch the video as I know what’ll be in it. I request you please live and let live. For God’s sake please stop torturing other living beings for any reason.

• Patricia Gonzalez says:

This abuse has to stop NOW!!! These people shouldbe convicted on cruelty to animals.

• Adi says:

The video was released by Animal Defenders International. See the video and read the full story at: http://www.ad-international.org/animals_in_entertainment/go.php?id=2119&ssi=7

• Gina Bratta says:

Can’t stand animal abuse!! Elephants are so Precious!!! Really how long is it going to take to end this nightmare!!!

• Cindy de la Garza says:

This is sooo wrong and cruel!!

• mirian says:

wow!!i just saw the video and i am heart broken these elephants are not supposed to be treated bad STOP ANIMAL ABUSE the santana police has to do something to prevent or stop this

• richard king says:

Wake up..its 2011……!

• L harmon says:

I am so sick of elephant handlers/trainers abusing animals to teach them..I always like to hear a story where an elephant has gone on the rampage and killed or mamed it’s trainer! I know it sounds heartless but I cant help thinking this or wishing for it..but it still doesnt stop the abuse of these threatened species of elephants…

• gunn nesbø says:

This is cruel.

• Lisa says:

This is the reason why I refuse to bring my children and myself to the circus at all. This is sicken me. This must be stop right now! I will spread this to my friends to get to know how cruel the circus is.

• Tina Vu says:

What is wrong with the human race that we have to treat Gods precious creatures so horrible? STOP ANIMAL ABUSE NOW!!! THIS HAS TO STOP!!!

• margaret says:

Animal cruelty needs to stop!!!

• Karen Cohn says:

Stop abusing animals!

• may stone says:

santa ana i am dissapointed that you are condoning this barbaric behaviour please think again and discontinue any rides etc involving live animals especially these gentle giants the elephants. I will thank you in advance

• Amy Spiezio says:

I came here to sign a petition against these cruel & barbaric crimes….

• northern girl says:

I am disgusted!!! These people deserve to be shut down and punished. Elephants are such intelligent creatures, how is it they’re still not getting the respect they deserve?

• Andrea Coleman says:

cannot bare to watch the vile cruel treatment of these poor elephants, it must be stopped immediately !!!

• Animal Lover 322 says:

Could I hate circuses any more than I do? Not likely….Elephants are sensitive, intelligent and wonderful animals. It’s babarian to treat them in this hideous fashion. Praying for an end to the ridiculousness…Come on! People Speak up. I wouldnt take my kids to the circus for anything.

• Jess says:

I WILL NOT be watching that film after seeing how they “train” the elephants.

• Joseph Gartner says:

This needs to stop NOW!!! This is disgusting and unacceptable. You all at Have Trunk Will Travel should be ashamed of yourselves. I truly feel you all should be sentenced to jail!!! STOP THIS NOW!!!!!

• Amy Sepelis says:

This practice is disgusting. Apparently, someone needs to used the bullhook on the owner. Then lets see if he continues to justify that practice.

• maye tovar says:

cruelty for fun ! that is not fun

• Shivakumar BG says:

Execute the “trainers”. You have my backing.

• Sarah says:

I agree that the punishment should fit the crime! This is absolutely inexcusable! I don’t know how these people can live with themselves!

• ashley says:

Please stop this!! !

• robert morris says:

allow the elephant to step on him a little

• Sydney says:

Sounds like I’m not going to see “Water for Elephants”.

• MA Moore says:

These are the most un-natural and gruesome training techniques I have ever seen. I have trained show horses for 20 years and have never used any of the tactics shown in this footage. I* will NEVER go a circus because seeing magnificent and majestic animals do stupid tricks has never been my idea of a good time. NO LIVE ANIMALS IN ENTERTAINMENT! Get em PETA!

• MA Moore says:

The punishment should fit the crime! We protect the weak and defend the helpless. NO ANIMALS IN ENTERTAINMENT! Get em PETA!