Cancer-Linked Food in Pretty Pink Buckets

Written by PETA | April 26, 2010
© Joshua Katcher
KFC Pink Buckets

Just so you know how low KFC will stoop to make a sale, the company has started selling its cancer-linked chicken in pink buckets to raise money for breast cancer research. This is almost beyond belief, considering that among the secret ingredients in KFC’s Kentucky Grilled Chicken are PhIP and other chemicals known as heterocyclic amines, which have been linked to several types of cancer, including breast cancer. And a recent study shows that eating fried chicken significantly increases the odds of bladder cancer.

Now the company is concerned about fighting cancer? I don’t think so.

You might think that because many people are going to buy this nonfood anyway, the proceeds may as well go to cancer research, but it turns out that’s not even the case. Some small print on KFC’s Web site reads, “Customer purchases of KFC buckets during the promotion will not directly increase the total contribution.” But were you expecting anything else? Check out KFC’s shameful history of cruelty to animals.

It’s a slap in the face to cancer survivors too. When I mentioned KFC’s new pink buckets to my best friend—a breast cancer survivor who went vegan after having a mastectomy and who now staunchly encourages other women to eat healthy plant-based foods and to support clinical research methods—she shuddered and said, “Oh, my God! Disgusting!”

A longer version of this blog originally appeared on Care2.

Written by Heather Moore

Comments

• Valerie Grotefend says:

Cancer causing elements are almost everywhere. Smoking is 5 times worse for women than men. Genetics play a big part in whether you will have cancer. I was a health food nut and still got it!

• Matt says:

Oh come one people. Everything causes cancer in this world. KFC will continue to sell buckets of chicken. Let them donate to breast cancer in the meantime. And quit saying they are evil and try to give people cancer. People that eat at this place know it is unhealthy. Sheesh.

• Melanie says:

All of this is a drop in the bucket so to speak. Most likely all of these proceeds will go to cover administrative costs and not be spent on actual research for curing breast cancer. Their food KFC is not healthy at all. Unfortunately most people when they see anything pink for breast cancer will buy it like it’s going out of style whether or not it’s good for you.

• Laura says:

As a breast cancer survivor and advocate for women I find this completely reprehensible. Changing to a veganmacrobiotic diet helped to rid my body of cancer and save my breast. Susan G. Komen…get with the program. Even if one doesn’t believe in recovery through diet surely KFC won’t help you.

• patricia says:

Action tell everybody you know who eats chicken about the ad and about KFC’s link to cancer. Then tell them it is just one more reason not to eat chicken and certainly not to buy KFC.

• Mujer De Nadie says:

I’m not as passionate about this whole thing as the rest of the people here.. but let me tell you.. when I first saw this commercial I was indignated I turned to my boyfriend and said.. “that’s the most discusting hipocritical thing I’ve heard”.. it’s like a kidnapper offering a kid some candi or something I mean who are are they trying to fool. seriously “pink Bukets” that’s just beyond low.

• Trish says:

Actually if you really look into it they do NOT donate $.50 for every bucket a customer purchases. Their site says again in small print that basically for every pink bucket they order from their suppliers they donate $.50 to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Your money for those that still buy and eat that stuff does not actually go towards that amount.

• Michele says:

50 cents may be donated to fight cancer but who the f cares given that the rest of it is CAUSING the cancer in the first place. This is so ridiculous I can’t even get my head around it.

• Ted says:

.50 of each bucket is dontated to fight cancer….

• Rachel says:

Hey Katrina there’s no room for insulting pigs here. Think of a better comeback next time.

• Jan says:

Thank you for this expose of the idiocy of this promotion. However we also must not forget Susan G. Komen’s part as the accomplice in partnering with KFC on this project. Shame on them too!

• Rayna says:

Shame on Susan B. Komen Foundation as well!! Although they fund animal studies so… All around this is just disgusting.

• Katrina says:

That is the msot disgusting thing I’ve ever heard!! Pigs. Filthy pigs! I mean how could you even think of doing such a thing? What makes it even worse…they got away with it.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

When I emailed the Susan G. Komen foundation protesting their use of animal testing I got a reply that stated they were fine with the way things were being done. It does not surprise me that KFC is doing this…after all the continued exsistence of the Susan G. Komen foundation or any disease fighting organization depends on people getting the disease they claim they want eradicated. The only exception that I have seen is the Bikers Against Diabetes Ride the BAD ride where the lunch fare is nutritionally sound and has vegetarian options and healthy snacks. The bikers chow down on all of it!!