No, Canada

Written by PETA | May 5, 2010

Canada has a lot to answer for. Twenty years of Celine Dion albums, for one thing. Howie Mandel. Poutine.

OK, those things are just a matter of taste, but then there’s the annual seal slaughter. During the commercial slaughter—the largest massacre of marine mammals on Earth—tens of thousands of seals have their heads bashed in or are shot for their fur. Vile!

So PETA is launching the latest volley in the seal wars: a graphic video showing tourists exactly why they should “explore elsewhere”:

Share on Facebook | Viewing Options
Embed

We will debut the spot in Winnipeg outside Rendez-vous Canada, an annual event that hosts international buyers and travel trade media, and will be airing it around the world in cities in which Canada markets itself most heavily to tourists. Our commercial is in stark contrast to the cuddly seal who is shown playfully jumping on top of a tourist’s kayak in an ad run by the Canadian Tourism Commission, and it should encourage the public to choose other vacation destinations until the seal slaughter stops.

You can help us get the word out by showing the video to all your friends. Then leave a comment telling us where you’ll be vacationing this year—besides Canada.

Written by Paula Moore

Comments

• Nancy says:

I too am Canadian and have been protesting this seal hunt for several years including sending money to support protest groups sent letter after letter to our Prime Minister and local policians. The sealers are subsidized with OUR tax dollars! Our current and past governments turn a blind eye to this slaughter and try to justify this slaughter. I’m glad to know Peta and all other groups are turning up the heat! Put on the pressure the more the better. It will be a happy and proud day in Canada when this seal hunt is stopped. These little babies deserve to live as nature intended. It’s always about the money.

• anita downey says:

If I couold afford to come to Ottawa for the march I would. Just to let you know i have written to NZ’s government to see where we stand on this matter. The more countries that ban seal products the better.

• Neil Warne says:

Just an update Senator Mac Harb has attempted to introduce a bill to outlaw seal “hunting” but it was killed naturally even by his own party who said they “support a sustainable and humane seal hunt.” Not. So where do we go from here? The EU has announced a trade ban on seal products from Canada and the politicians are upset about that. So wait and see although I think the end is nigh. And when it comes I will be having several beers to celebrate and even fly a Canadian flag outside my house for a week.

• Cat says:

I’m from Vancouver Canada and I don’t support seal hunting. The heartless Canadian Government doesn’t care about the poor seals. I say come protest at the 2010 games.

• Neil Warne says:

A simple description of the seal “hunt” FARCE..and an important one for those who believe Myth 10 Canadians are coldhearted people who support seal hunting. It is our duty to hate their guts and believe Canada the whole country is completely despicable. Sorry NO! Now for the description I spoke of. Seal hunting is a GROSS misrepresentation of more than 91 of the Canadian population. Let us remember that. Has a sigh here. Sent a lovely letter to Stephen Harper might have to send another. And another. And another.

• lynda downie says:

I agree with the boycott of Canada. Vancouver like all host cities in their time wants to create a good impression on people of many nations attracted to the 2010 games. Let them know that Canada needs to clean up it’s brutal seal hunt before you’re impressed. I’m Canadian and I love Vancouver but I love seals more.

• Patrick Ward says:

Good point sABBY. Angela and Brad and all you others want to consider growing up a little? I know plenty of people in Australia who completely detest seal “hunting.” HOWEVER they are AWARE that most Canadians find it abhorrent as well. Consider also that many antisealing movements ORIGINATED in Canada. One seriously does hope this is the last “hunt” we have to bear.

• pepper says:

i am completely against the seal hunt and am proud Canadian but i am slightly upset bye some extremely negative comments against not only the whole country but its citizens most of us also have feelings and all my friends are against the seal hunt and have beliefs on animal rights so i agree the government can screw up awfully like this but please don’t make negative comments about all the citizens

• Nadine Griffith says:

The seal hunt was stopped. I am sorry I can’t remember the years that it was not conducted. However somehow our east coast still survived. And of course the seal hunt resumed as we are all too aware. Glass walls in slaughter houses and PETA exposing the seal hunt. Only when enough people are aware and moved to action will enough noise be made to our government to address this barbaric practice. I will not mention the collective IQ of the men who actually conduct this hunt but understand that we are talking single digits. An ashamed and heart sick Canadian

• Lor says:

I’m Canadian and totally agree with Curtis. Most of the sealers aren’t even Canadian they come from around the world the seal fur is mainly sold overseas but can be ordered in easily. Boycott the product not the country. The seal hunt is disgusting and our government is selfish like many.

• sABBY says:

umm… angela and to all other people against canada? I am a proud canadian and i just want to let u no that it’s stupid and really ignorant of you to insult this country. seal hunting is a barbaric thing to do but people like you need to realize that not EVERY Canadian practices it. I am openly against animal cruelty and so are many other CANADIANS. PS HOW DO YOU KNOW AMERICANS AREN’T DOING IT TOO? JUST BECUZ IT HAPPENS IN CANADA DOESN’T MEAN THAT CANADIANS PRACTICE IT

• Patrick Ward says:

Out it goes chop chop Stephen Harper. After all only a minority of Canadians support it’s continuation and in a democracy what the majority says goes right? So time to move.

• Simran says:

Pleasant picture. It evokes emotion and makes you think how barbaric it is. Why are they killing the seals?

• Enzo says:

Listen I’m Canadian and every Canadian I know is against what is happening to the seals as am I. Not all Canadians are cold hearted but what is happening is. Please don’t judge every single Canadian. I personally think that what is happening is UGLY AND STUPID!

• Neil Warne says:

Can Harper hopefully cancel this hunt and then I wouldn’t have to worry about people like Angela whose comments really do not help matters. PETA do you think we could stop implying that is a nationally endorsed and condoned activity? That would help a lot.

• Elizabeth says:

I an Canadian and I have to wonder…is this really that different than what they do to dogs cats anything with fur in China?????

• CJ says:

I have friends that are Canadian so I do not say to boycott every Canadian thing you see but I am also a proud vegan and I DO NOT support the sealers. I am in middle school and I understand that the sealing does not make every Canadian thing bad so you need to find your head and realize this too.

• cath89 says:

they’re pretty bad these Canadians or their government is.. you may be aware of the horrendous China cat and dog fur trade.. well the EU has banned it from start of this year.. as many other countries have due to the harrowing and brutal cruelty suffered by it is estimated up to 2 million of cats and dogs in China each year.. however as I am aware.. Canada still imports cat and dog fur from China therefore supporting this horrendous and barbaric trade.. and considering how Canadians treat their seals.. it’s pretty much revealing of what Canadians are or what their government is when it comes to treatment of animals both at home and abroad.. and evidently they puts their trade and profits above and before anything else… ie. before appalling cruelty and suffering of so many animals.. they or that government are utterly bereft of conscience and are totally heartless..

• Val says:

Although I condemn the seal hunt for its barbarism I do feel it is slightly irresponsible of PETA to infer that it is a nationally endorsed activity. The truth is many of the most vehement protestors of this event ARE Canadian. This is the equivalent of boycotting all things American because McDonalds abuses animals.

• Amanda says:

I am from Canada and I am a proud Canadian. I am also a proud vegetarian and a proud animal rights activist. What I find irritating is people like BRAD that say hes boycotting everything Canadian and Sara Bry and whoever else says to Boycott Canada….I think you should use your head. Boycott SEAL products. What if we boycotted every Country that had a black strike against it. Im sorry USA but you guys would be Boycotted a lot. But its not about the country its about what is wrong IE The seal hunt Burrberry…etc… You arent going to help the cause by boycotting a country and turning in to haters unrealistic and selfish people. Its when we should be banning together as neighbours and as a whole…a whole TEAM of people out there to solve a problem. I am not a proud Canadian when speaking about the Seal Hunt but I am a proud Canadian when I can say that our KFC DID sign a pledge with PETA. So grow up use your heads and realize we are all here for one cause and that’s to help the ANIMALS. So lets get out there and SAVE THESE ANIMALS FROM THESE HORRIBLE PEOPLE THAT COME FROM AROUND THE WORLD !!!

• Curtis says:

The seal hunt is Canada’s shame.

• C J MILLS says:

I thought Canadians were civilized and humane. I am so disappointed.

• casan says:

i’m not vegetarian i admit that but i think the seal slaughter in canada is horrible! if they have a problem with seal population there then why dont thy just ship them someplace else! take them to north pole or something! im sure there are other altenatives. FOR MONeY? sure killing these helpless creatures can make loads of money. meat fur coats and all but its not worth it. they can make money FOR NOW but once the population of these creatures starts to crumble they will realize how horrible theyve been. they can never bring back the lives theyve ruin.

• JulieAnn Zserdin says:

I truely hope people will learn from the olympics in China. Poeple did not boycott china enough and the oymplics were a great success. Poeple have to stand up for animals unfortunately too many people dont care about compassion towards animals if means sacrifacing for them. I am boycoting EVERY THING that comes from Canada.

• Brad says:

Hey Connor How would you feel if someone crushed your baby’s head with a club? Whether you want to accept it or not seals feel pain and have emotions. They know when they are getting bludgeoned and they know when their babies are getting bludgeoned.

• Sarah says:

As a Canadian I just want to make sure that people understand that many of us have been fighting this pratice for a while now. Canada is also not the only country that has these sort of practices if you are going to boycott the Olympics in Vancouver you would have to have boycotted the Olympics in China. Where they eat dogs cats really any type of animal and skin them alive for there fur. They also have the worst animal laws almost anywhere. If you boycott the Olympics in Canada also forget watching them if they are in Europe where they eat horses and have trained bears and other animals. In short if you boycott these Olympic games then you will have to boycott every Olympic games or and events anywhere in the world. We can find animal abuse neglect and killing for nothing really anywhere. We are all witnesses of this and the best way to do this is to combat in our own towns countries etc. We must not fight each other but we must stick together and fight as one if we want to change laws and people’s ways of thinking.

• Rachel says:

“Not that bad” Connor? How about if young dogs or cats were being bludgeoned to death and skinned in the streets for no other reason than to sell their fur? Would that be “not that bad”? Seals are close relatives of the dog. They feel pain fear and love in much the same way. How can they not deserve the same protection we offer our beloved companions? I’ll admit that I don’t support any hunt but the seal massacre in particular has always struck me as barbaric and pointless.

• Connor says:

The seal hunt is not as bad as it’s made out to be. Many of you have your facts mixed up and don’t know he truth. I’m Canadian and I support the seal hunt and the hunters 100. Do a little reading and you’ll soon learn it’s not that bad.

• Missy L says:

I’d REALLY like to bash these sealers heads is so they can feel the pain these poor innocent seals feel!!! WHY can’t we all just go up there and do it?????

• Lauren says:

It is one of the most barbaric acts aganist animals on earth and an immense shame on Canada and on mankind. I am glad to see so many Canadians posting here showing they oppose this. It is unbelievable that acts like this are allowed to occur.

• Michele says:

Canadians are not coldhearted people. Come to Ottawa on March 15th for a very special event to protest the commercial seal hunt. It is the government that continues to support the commercial seal hunt and NOT the majority of Canadians.

• John Maynus says:

Never could understand how anyone could kill any animal. So yes Canada STOP killing the seals!!!

• Courtney says:

Good bring on the boycott. None of us here in Canada like it either..its been an ongoing battle and we are confident that one day we’ll win the war. Angela please refrain from saying that you hate all Canadians and that we’re all cold blooded…you sound narrow minded and childish grouping a WHOLE country out to be bad..trust me there are only a few twisted bad apples that believe that bashing a baby’s head in is somewhat justified.

• NT says:

I am a Canadian and want the seal hunt stopped now. The government will never stop it unless boycotts start affecting the bottom line. Thank you!

• Anna says:

This is so barbaric I’m boycotting anything to do with the Vancouver Olympics and am never going to Canada until it stops this bloody slaughter.

• Sara says:

i totally agree with Tabitha i love Canada and the winter olympics but they have to stop killing poor little animals

• Connee says:

It’s on!!Everyone needs to boycott Canada and all Canadian products and PETA we are counting on you to make this Boycott of Canada know to the world that we will not put up with this holocaust anymore. This is the most brutal sickslaughter of innocence and a stain on Canada. The fire needs to be turned up to the highest it can go this year…EU is faltering on ban but other members of the EU went forward without them to issue their own bans on seal products.We cannot let this happen one more year. There are only a handful of sealers and millions of us!

• Bry says:

Love it. It’s on! I’m up for this! Those poor things.

• Cleaa says:

I really really never thought I would ever say this…but right now I’m ashamed to be Canadian. I am so infuriated I just can’t take it. Like you just DON’T bash a baby seal on the head for your personal enjoyment.

• angela says:

Canada sucks. I know why everyone here says they hate Canadians. They are cold hearted people. Its a shame

• CHRIS says:

Every Canadian i know is against this murder but the government does it anyway. It is time for Canadians to step up and demand that their politicians obey their demands and end this evil until then i will be boycotting the winter olympics and i i suggest you all do the same.

• darlene hermary says:

people who kill seals for the purpose of sport are screwed in the head. Do you not realize that seals have feelings too. How would you like it if someone one was out to kill you for sport.Animals have a heart just like humans. you guys are all screwed in the head………

• Brad says:

PETA should make it clear to potential Olympic sponsors that boycotts will result if the seal massacre isn’t banned. I am committed to boycotting the companies of every commercial aired during the Olympics if the madness hasn’t stopped.

• Tabitha says:

I love Canada and all but if they are doing something like this that’s inhumane then yes I agree that they should put an end to it.

• Gina says:

Let’s kick those seal killer’s sorry little butts and save the seals! Wooo!

• Alyssa says:

lmao IT IS SO ON CANADA!

• michelle says:

I really wanted to visit Vancouver for the 2010 winter Olympics but I will not support anything Canadian until they stop this horrendous ritual. Why on earth was Stephen Harper reelected anyways???

• Meech! says:

Barbaric. Shameful. Unfathomable cruelty.

• Aneliese says:

You bet it’s on. I’m Canadian and I’m telling everyone I know about the seal hunt and what they can do to help stop it. Go PETA!

• Janet Fitzgerald says:

Peta should make “Boycott Vancouver 2010″ bumpers stickers shirts!!!