Call NASA, Save Monkeys!

Written by PETA | March 11, 2010
http2007 / CC by 2.0
NASA

Victory Update: Following a year of vigorous campaigning, PETA has learned that government officials have grounded plans for a cruel and ineffective radiation experiment on monkeys. Learn more about this victory for monkeys.

Despite our petitions, demonstrations, tweets to astronauts in space, a letter from the U.S. Congress, and even compelling evidence that the project may have violated federal regulations, NASA has not halted its misguided plan to waste $1.75 million to torment monkeys in cruel and ineffective radiation experiments. With the window of opportunity to save the monkeys quickly closing, we’re calling on you to take a few minutes of your time to call NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver at 202-358-1020 and very politely (the nicer you are when you call the better it is for monkeys) ask her to scrap the proposal to fund radiation experiments on monkeys and to direct these resources toward modern and humane methods instead.

I just got off the phone with Garver’s secretary, who, while polite, seemed a little taken aback as she took down my message. Clearly, she hadn’t planned on starting her day by taking notes about how NASA needs to stop its plans to zap monkeys with a massive dose of radiation and then condemn them to years of experiments in order to assess how the radiation devastates their brains and bodies.

After you call, send a quick follow-up message to NASA officials, urge everyone you know to do the same, and tell us about your experience phoning NASA. Come on—it’s OK to call and tell!

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• melissa says:

i called and calmly said.. hi my name is melissa nordstrom and i’d like to ask that NASA not expose those innocent monkeys to radiation and sentence them to a life of useless experiments. And the secretary was was calm also and replied “I will add your name to the list.” So yes be nice when you call.

• Anya says:

Why would you want to hurt innocent animals?? Kids look up nasa and they look to you as role models kids say “I want to work for nasa” But do they know what you are doing to monkeys?

• teresa says:

I am fortunate that an aide for my Rep. personally emailed me in mresponse to my request via PETA and asked me to call him to discuss the issue! I plan on calling or personally writingto him my concerns on the issue. Very misguided waste of money and abuse of monkeys.

• Pam Harris says:

I called and spoke to the receptionist. She said she’d add my name to the list of people who have been calling. She said they’d been getting thousands of calls!

• shawn says:

Stop hurting animals. Losers

• moo.lennon. says:

damn i was going to call and tell them off..until i saw thedo it politly thing..poop.

• bilja says:

Imagine your self helpless as object in this experiment. STOP! Care for public opinion.

• Cathy Riley says:

I just called and spoke with someone. She told me that they had received thousands of calls today. Please keep it up. Something has to be done.

• Jean-Marie Jones says:

Please stop this horrible monkey treatment. You are roll model for the world. Now act like one.

• Christopher Stephens says:

Shame on NASA!

• Elizabeth Robles says:

I called. Spoke to someone. I hope all of our calls can make a difference

• Yvonne says:

Value life not stars…

• Denise LaChance says:

I called. I reached a voicemail of the “Chief of Staff” and left a polite message expressing my concern about the research project and requesting that the funds be redirected to humane alternatives. I left a phone number so they can call back if they want to.

• Chantale says:

PLEASE STOP IT!!! DO YOU WANT TO DIE LIKE THIS?? HOW CAN YOU DO THAT!?! YOU ARE UNHUMAN!! NOW I HATE NASA!!!

• Rev. Dr. Beth Johnson says:

All the religious traditions guide us toward compassionate treatment of animals. Science has shown us two important insights 1. that we are interconnected with all things and all beings 2. that newer technologies are available as alternatives toward the kind of testing proposed by NASA on monkeys our kin. These factors compel us to behave with the utmost care and kindness toward animals. Humane treatment of all beings and learning from science go handin hand in insuring that we humans live up to our evolutionary potential in expanding our circle of compassion to embrace all in the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part. with deep hope Rev. Dr. Beth Johnson

• anna says:

please stop this cruelty! listen to their heart and than to yours there is no difference. make their life better! thanks.

• Lori says:

Please don’t do this to the monkeys. We know enough on this issue. Run computer programs design a new one. Think creatively and humanly please.