Burberry Protest!

Written by PETA | November 21, 2006

Burberry, still reeling from PETA UK’s little visit to their London store last week, got another unpleasant surprise this afternoon when four activists showed up at their 57th Street store in New York. Here’s how it went down, according to one of the campaigners who was there:

Two activists went in the store with posters while 2 more waited outside with their bloody fur coats inside out and tucked under their arms. The 2 activists inside were picked up by security (literally) and removed from the store, but not before one activist managed to get inside the Burberry store window and start spreading fake blood all over…

Meanwhile, on the outside, the protesters spread fake blood all over the window display, summed up the finer points of the fur issue for passersby with chants like “Burberry tortures animals!” and (for the visual learners in the crowd) used TVs strapped to their bodies to show footage of animals being skinned alive for their fur. Check it out:

Burberry 005.jpg

PETA Burberry Protest3.jpg

PETA Burberry Protest1.jpg

PETA Burberry Protest6.jpg

More pics after the jump.

Comments

• michelle currier says:

Thank you PETA and thank you to the activists!

• Jenny says:

you know in boston yesterday and i drove by the protest going on at the burberry on newbury st… i was really glad to see it going on in my hometown…

• Kelley says:

I wish I could have been there to help out!

• Show all Comments---Steve Monchak says:

The fastest way to make a person believe in your crusade is through violence? To change something takes more than heathen acts of wich a child should be accused. Perhaps in the future you should take a page from Martin Luther King jr. The fact that you are only trying to get media attention states your true goals have been thrown out and that you to have become another tool not able to turn anything besides stomachs. You wear clothing and I am sure that you eat vegetables…do you realise that the farms and the production centers for the later all include the mistreatment of animals and humans? perhaps you should go naked and not eat anything since every green you eat takes away from a starving animal.

• Simona says:

I am so shocked about cruelty against animals and their suffering that i feel ashemed to be an human.

• Vyugar says:

Great Job PETA! It’s time for humans to realize that animals are not for our consumptions and have the same rights to enjoy life as humans do.

• danielle says:

I totally think hurting animals is very wrong and disgusting. People need to be more aware of whats really happening not the “if I dont see it it does not happen” theme. But don’t you think that sometimes things go to far? If would have been perfect to stand outside or across the street if they made you move to get people to listen to you so why did you have to go on with the fake blood? I talked to a lot of friends trying to get them to go vegan but they say that Peta comes across to strong. They dont want to listen to anything Peta is about because of all the senseless damage they do. Post fliers everywhere talk to people on the street. Because of things like this people will not even listen to what I have to say because they are afraid I will sray them with blood. You are giving us a bad name

• Denise says:

excellent peta i thank god that we have you to be the voice of all the animals that are treated so cruel

• Alana says:

Good for you PETA i won’t even buy fake fur and i am a fashion geru but fur is not to wear!

• Eunjinny says:

I admire you for the great efforts you are making those bastards will get what they deserve in the near future

• Derek says:

i hate fur

• guadalupe says:

good job those idiots have to know that animals are not alone that they have people that love them and will fight for their rights I will love to help you in anything i can I live in fremont california

• alma chapman says:

Keep up the good work. Animals should not be used for man to keep them warm in this century.

• Nadine says:

Why should animals have to suffer and die just to make people look good… why should their innocent bodies be used to be draped on us so we can be fashionable? It’s wrong it’s sick it’s inhumane. NO MORE FUR!

• Frances says:

i support you 100 keep protesting. one day ill be right there helping to keep these terrible acts apon animals from happening.

• raul morales says:

?????????

• Kelly Johnson says:

Well done PETA yet again! Maybe the reality of the fur trade will finally penetrate the vanity and ignorance of all those who buy into this disgusting shameful industry. Always in total support!!

• raul morales says:

umm isn’t what your doing to that store illegal i understand that you are upset but does that give you the right to vandalize?

• c kovel says:

Good job well done. I agree with you 100

• Jayme says:

Go PETA!!!! I support PETA 120! So many people are unaware of what is really going on with designers! Wear your own skin!!

• mariana says:

Congratulations!!! Brave hearts and BIG minds All my love to people like akk of u!

• Mari says:

Gracias por su esfuerzo!!! Es preciso acabar con actos tan estpidos como la matanza de animales por el comercio de pieles. La gente que compra pieles debe saber que es responsable por la cruel muerte de animales.

• Rachael says:

I think what you are doing is very admirable. I would love to work for you someday! Keep up the good work!

• Alee says:

Im proud to be one of the few that has feelings and enough balls to stand UP for animals. Not stand on them. good job peta. keep it going!

• ava says:

Excellent Job PETA! We need to organize a protest in Atlanta GA. There is big fur sales down here and it makes me sick. I want to help.

• victoria says:

awesome job i wish i could have been there. me and my younger sister are gonna go to nieman marcus and i’m going to put a fur coat on her with fake blood all over it and handcuff her to the doors and i’ll be standing there protestign with some friends. i stole that idea from another friend that did that enjoy! and if anyone else reads this you should do that too!

• Nina says:

Go PETA! Get people thinking!

• Maureen Lock says:

Keep up the good work PETA and NEVER give up. Hopefully the flood of letters sent to Burberry will make them think twice.

• Anne Heyes says:

It is so sad that with all of the faux products on the market today Burberry chooses cruelty over kindness and money over everything. Hopefully when more people learn of this we can put them out of business. I recall that when the Burlington Coat Factory was selling coats with ‘dog and cat’ fur from China that they sure stopped after the protests.

• Shushana Castle says:

I stopped buyingwearing furs 15 years ago after I was made aware of the suffering of the innocent animals. It was Peta that gave me the education. Thank you Peta. God keep all of you safe and healthy. Thank you demonstrators. THE ANIMALS SKINNED ALIVE TV VIDEO SHOWN TO THE WORLD WILL CERTAINLY STOP MANY THE PURCHASE OF MANY FURES. DO NOT STOP SHOWING THIS VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPREAD THIS VIDEO AROUND. THE ANIMALS BEG YOU TO SPEAK FOR THEM!!!

• Candace says:

alrighttt go new yorkers i’m going to teh Burberry protest Santan Row in California today i’m ready to tell those bastards off

• sandra says:

OLA…AINDA BEM QUE EXISTE PESSOAS COMO VCS…QUE DEUS OS ABENE…AMO ANIMAIS…E DARIA TUDO PARA VELOS PROTEGIDOS…

• Tania says:

I want to deeply thank and congratulate the activists. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!

• George davey says:

i was so glad to see activists protesting against the fur industry. WELL DONE i think all the activists are angels

• shalmika says:

Very nice job PETA. very sad i couldn’t join you guys.

• marcella says:

che commento a fare? vergogna per le pellicce

• Ash says:

Go PETA! This method of protest is brilliant. People buy cruel products without even thinking about the materials or how they were acquired. This forces them to see how the furs were obtained. Keep it up!!!

• J says:

Skinning animals is evil and especially skinning them alive! Who ever works at your company is a very bad person and who ever wears your clothes probably doesn’t know that your skinning animals ALIVE i mean couldn’t you like put them down with a needle if anything so its peaceful for them but what i have to tell you is that your company has some very big issues and you all need help you people are all totally naffed.

• Filipa de Azevedo says:

Thank you for showing me how cruel Burberry can be. I will spread the word around here I live in Lisbon Portugal. Keep on the good work you’re actions are an inspiration to us.

• simara rose says:

fur is dead

• Marcela says:

That’s cool i hope it has an impact but offcourse there will akway be people who critisize the protest in my opnion the best part was showing the animals getting skinned alive. Videos like that ALWAYS gets to people and i think it’s the best sometimes the only way to change people’s mind about fur. Keep up the fight. God Bless.

• Becky West says:

Keep up the great work! We need more people like that. It’s about time for these people to wake up!!!!!!!! I can’t understand how people can be so sick!!!!

• marie champion says:

i couldnt make it through the end of the video!!!!!!!!!!keep on doing what you doi cant find the words right now to express how horrible that is.

• Michelle Fleet says:

Thank you Peta activists for stepping out of your comfort zone to care for those who cannot help themselves.You are angels in disguise. Michelle

• Van says:

I recieved my PETA mail for the first time and after reading and watching the photos I can’t believe it’s still happening in the 21 century! How is it possible that people buy animal fur for dressing?? How is it possible that there is people who actually are getting paid for killing?? I can’t understand it… the same way I don’t understand war.. Vanessa 21 Argentina

• Cheryl says:

Thank God for PETA!!! Keep up the good work.

• veronica says:

I’m so farChile but I’m support you from the distance

• Christiane says:

How in heaven can they keep going after having seen the video. Burberry I am at lost for words to describe how disgusted I am from their involvement in such cruelty.

• Sophie says:

its so great to see that protests can be held without violence. i think the way you have carried out this demonstration is both positive and productive. violence only makes us look bad and our animal welfare goals harder to achieve. well done and i hope burberry wakes up to themselves sooner rather than later.

• Jenni Marie says:

much luv respect support ta those who worked so hard in exposing the truth behind the murderous fur industry. karmah’s a bitch n long overdue to a lot of people! xoxoxoxo