Bunnies Drowned at Ohio Petland

Written by PETA | August 4, 2009

Update: The Petland store has closed, and the employee has been charged with cruelty to animals. Click here for details.

Warning: disturbing image.
Drowned rabbits

This photo was taken in the back room of a Petland store in Akron, Ohio, and posted on Facebook by Elizabeth Carlisle, who can be seen grinning as she holds two dead, soaking-wet rabbits by the scruff of the neck—rabbits she just drowned while on Petland’s time clock. On Carlisle’s Facebook page, she confirmed a friend’s guess that she had drowned these two rabbits and wrote, “[T]he manager took the pic for me. [S]he reminded me that there were people outside as [I] was swearing at them to just hurry up and die but then she was so kind as to take this picture.”

These horrific deaths followed what was apparently an equally horrifying life for these rabbits. Other comments Carlisle posted made it clear that the rabbits were drowned after sustaining agonizing injuries when they were allowed to “attack and eat each other.” The rabbits suffered from “deep wounds all over,” “an eye missing,” what Petland staff “suspected was a broken jaw,” and paralysis from the waist down—injuries that would not have occurred had these animals been provided with proper care and supervision.

Undercover investigations have revealed time and time again that companies that breed and sell animals are concerned about profits, not animals’ well-being. We are urging Petland to think long and hard about what this incident makes clear: The company has no business selling any animals.

To prevent future incidents like this one, please, never buy from pet stores and urge Petland at the very least to stop selling rabbits.

Click here to take action against Petland.

Written by Liz Graffeo

Comments

• Sue says:

It has been awhile since this happened. Is Petland still operating in Ohio?

• LAURA says:

THIS WOMAN SHOULD BE ARRESTED FOR ANIMAL CRUELTY & MADE TO HAVE PSYCCOLOGICAL COUNSELING. SICK.

• E says:

this is beyond disturbing… Karma better act fast. This girl needs a swift kick in the pants ASAP.

• Wayne says:

They could use her if they make a female version of Psycho. She would fit the part so well. What goes around comes around. I hope you get your soon!!

• Christy Kuppler says:

This individual, is a very mentally deranged sick “person”, she belongs in JAIL! If you ever see her in person, please kick the living sh** out of her for me!

• grizlee says:

It hurts so bad to see the gratification in that person’s face. Karma will get her, then she will burn in h…!

• ardeecor says:

Jeffrey Dahmer was an angel compared to this one. I think that the feds need to enact background checks on ANYONE handling live animals ANYWHERE in ANY SITUATION. And I agree on the one post; NO pet shop should sell live animals. ADOPTION centers that are hosted by pet stores are at least good enough, most of the time, to foster their adoptee animal candidates-taking them home at night after a long day in a wire cage. At least, I have seen the kitties and puppies treated more or less comfortably in an adoption center although they are bored to tears… The last time I went to visit some kittens in a PetSmart; I purchased twelve little cat toys to hang on each cage so the cats would have something to play with. It was heart rending to see how each cat acted toward the toy as though they had not seen anyone else in months!!!!

• Tiff says:

Wow.. If I ever needed another example of why you should not support pet shops, this would be it. These rabbits are victims of cruelty and neglect that they did not deserve. And we shouldn’t just blame the monster who drowned them, we should blame the manager who let it happen and then took a picture. If more people could be educated that this does happen and innocent lives are lost, maybe stores like these could be shut down. This girl is obviously a sociopath who enjoys inflicting pain on others, and should be in jail right now, or at least in a psych ward. This is not okay.

• hayley says:

fine the woman. the company. this is not on.

• Erika says:

Incredible!! this people have no heart… they deserve jail forever! poor bunnies, thank God they are in heaven now.

• Tanya says:

Pure evil. What a terrible person! I hope karma comes around to give her the same treatment!

• Heather says:

This is so sick and horrible. The look on her face makes me furious. She should have to suffer in the same way that those poor innocent rabbits did. DISGUSTING!

• heather says:

what a sick, disgusting woman. I shouldn’t even call her a woman, more like a thing. You have to be sick in the head to do something like that to innocent animals who can’t even stand ul for themselves. What disgusts me the most is she posts it on her facebook. What a freak. She should be sent to the psych ward and never let out or someone should just drown her an let her see how it feels. I love animals way to much to see someone who works with them do something that cruel. Sick fuck.

• Longali95 says:

She sucks!! Hope she’s in jail for a long time!!!

• marisa massimo says:

I really have no comprehension of these mental defects,the school.theatre,mall, shootings,cruelty 2 animals. They should bring back the public stocks/whipping. They need 2 feel real pain& humiliation. They R not fit 2 walk amongst us.

• Jill Krawczyk says:

This woman is clearly mentally disturbed, and should not be allowed to work with animals under ANY circumstances! Animal Cruelty charges should be brought against her for her crimes against these rabbits.

• khonaz says:

what a horrifying female .. she seems to suffer from a mental disease .. she should be given some type of dismissing punishment

• Ricki says:

What the hell did the rabbits do to her? Yeah, nothing. Nothing at all. I am disgusted!

• Jen says:

She’s a psychopath who enjoys inflicting torture on innocent and beautiful creatures. I’m glad she’s getting the public shaming she deserves.

• Matthew says:

Y should petland stop selling rabbits if they dont sell them then where would u get one but this lady is one sick puppy

• A.L says:

That woman is sick in the head i hope she suffers and dies the same way those rabbits did!

• Lisa says:

I hope she was jailed for abuse of these two bunnies. Evil to the core!

• Megan says:

This woman is sick and disgusting. She is a complete and total waste of flesh. I don’t own any rabbits, however I could not even imagine anyone being able to do this with a smile on their face. I hope she suffers the same way these poor animals did.

• smartwoman says:

This person is sick – so glad Petland was caught and shut down. If you know this person, you need to bring shame on her for this act, not to mention the picture.

• Aria says:

Thats disgusting and is she even arrested? -_-

• Arby says:

What a evil b#tch. karma will get her!

• tanja says:

As a rabbit owner this breaks my heart, as a human i’m disgusted and embarrassed for our race, as an individual like so many out there who advocate for animal rights, i hope these individuals get prosecuted to the fullest extend with the maximum penalty and then some…..no animal should ever have to suffer like that.

• Tanja says:

As a rabbit owner, this breaks my heart, as a human i’m disgusted by the human race, and embarrassed, as an individual and with the rest of similar minded people like me, protecting the rights of animals and especially such helpless creature, i hope these individual receive the maximum punishment possible. ..and hope that selling animals in pet stores will end for good.

• Alex says:

??? Who employed these people??? Evil sick ****s.

• barbara says:

This little sassy (piece of shit)- not only should she be in jail but she should suffer the same way she killed!!!!!

• barbara says:

Not only is stupid – she is ignorant!!! Since Ms. Stupid is clueless – she must of forgot that she was supposed to treat the animals with compassion. She is cluess as to the fact that there are animal rights – at the BIG univeristy (not your piddly little life) – you will be in trouble! Not so sure of your intelligence – so I will put it simply – Animal law at the large universities will kick your butt – and you will do jail time (moron)- may you have an equally horrible death!!!!

• Victoria says:

I hate humans.

• Cat V says:

Was this inhumane manager charged with any sort of crime? Evil exists. And, unfortunately, it can be found among those who are expected to care for others. I hope this woman, and her employer, are prosecuted to the full extenet of the law.

• danielle says:

Does anyone know what happened to the manager who took the picture?? How could she not get charged as well….what sick people.

• Pissed says:

Anyone that does any business with Petland, or doesn’t tell others of what Petland allows thier employees to do is as guilty as if they held the rabbits down themselves. Get the word out, don’t just shake your head in discuss. Words do have power if used! The girl and manager should be shipped off to Afgahnistan, they will be treated just as well there when the locals get ahold of them. Hoo-rah…

• Traude Fauner says:

What a cruelty – it nearly makes me crazy – how can anyone do such things – it must be punished.

• Emma says:

Anyone who is capable of doing this is capae of doing it to a human and is a sick bastard. I am from Scotland , UK and I can’t remember ever seeding a more disturbing photo. Gibe me 5 minutes with that bitch and I’d make sure she never wanted to hurt another animal again. She should be locked up or better drowned herself?? See how she likes it.

• Sosena says:

There is a special place in the hot eternity of hell waiting for her and everyone that took part in this.

• brittany says:

i just hope she knows that karmas a b**ch an that shell get what she deserves those animals done nothing to her, and maybe when judgment day comes theyll reap what they sowed and get whats comein….

• Dawn says:

its not all pet shops its just the Petland store in Akron, Ohio. i hope that her and who ever else was involved in hurting the poor animals, gets charge with alot for animal cruelty. they r lucky that i dont work their, cuz i would have called 9-11 on their a$$es. i hope karma bites them in the butt and takes a chunk out of them and that it hurts. i hope that happens to all the people that r like this woman and the others that were involved.

• Kathy says:

I’d smack that smirk off her ugly face if given a chance

• Donna says:

dangerous woman…are her children next??

• PetLover77310 says:

Maybe PROOF that demons do walk amongst us? What a HORRID woman, just glad that what goes around comes around. And I also agree that she should know exactly how it feels to drown…

• lisa says:

I Was disturbed about this when i saw it i think a year ago im not sure but its pretty old i just hope this sicko doesnt have children and or pets and is locked up in a padded cell for life. Killing animals is a sign of a killer for people it leads to it. She clearly has no remorse for anything so i have no remorse for her in jail or locked away

• patvolk@ymail.com says:

I totally agree with all comments. She must be a psychopath in order to find it fun to drown two innocent and sentient creatures.In olden days they used to punish people by the ducking method (occasionally one or two drowned.) She needs to know what drowning feels like. The grinning is obscene! A “psychopath is a person whose behavior is largely immoral and asocial.characterized by lack of remorse or shame, perverse or impulsive, other personality defects, mental defective.This only begins to describe her. You could say that she as the emotions of a Michael Vick and she enjoyed her actions. Most of us would not even be capable of this crime .

• Yogagal says:

This is completely sickening, I feel for this disturbed soul. She clearly has issues beyond anyone’s understanding and should be treated for her mental condition. As an animal lover and rabbit owner I find this deeply saddening. It is such a shame that innocent animals are neglected and treated with such utter disrespect. This image disturbed me to the point of nausea, I truly hope this woman gets what she deserves.

• Laura says:

How can anyone be so cruel. The thought of the poor rabbits in so much pain, makes my heart wrench. God will not let her get away with her cruelty to those poor rabbits.

• Lawrence says:

It is hard to have to know that there are people like that.

• ursula says:

why has she not been prosecuted????

• Kat says:

stop buying from pet shops. stop animal cruelty.