Breaking Investigation Reveals Dairy Farm Horrors

Written by PETA | May 26, 2010

Sometimes I consider myself a hardened PETA veteran. With each new investigation I force myself to watch, I convince myself that that I’ve seen the worst abuses that animals are subjected to. But then something like this new video, which was shot by an undercover worker at an Ohio dairy factory farm, hits my desk, and I am again moved to tears by the way people exploit and abuse animals:

In the video, which was recorded over the past few weeks by Mercy For Animals, workers at Conklin Dairy Farms are seen beating cows with crowbars and stabbing them with pitchforks. One worker wires a cow’s nose to a metal bar and then repeatedly beats the cow with another bar as she bleeds.

These findings are similar to what PETA revealed when we went undercover at a Land O’Lakes supplier in Pennsylvania. Over the course of several months, PETA’s investigation documented that cows who had trouble standing were kicked and electro-shocked. One cow’s gangrenous, infected teat ruptured while she was being milked by a machine. Another cow collapsed in a deep pool of liquid manure and was left to languish there for hours as the urine and manure covered her body and coated her eyes, nose, and mouth.

The next time someone asks you, “What’s wrong with eating dairy products?” tell them, “Everything!” and then show them these videos.

Please take a minute to share this investigation via e-mail, Facebook, and Twitter. Then let your friends and family know that the best way to help prevent cows from suffering these abuses is to go vegan. If you haven’t already taken that leap, check out these cruelty-free alternatives to dairy foods to get started.

Update: A man who police believe to be one of the dairy farm workers who was recorded on video beating cows with crowbars and poking them with pitchforks was charged yesterday with 12 counts of cruelty to animals!

Billy Joe Gregg Jr., 25, was jailed in Mechanicsburg and was to be arraigned on Thursday. Each cruelty-to-animals charge he faces carries a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and a $750 fine.

Written by Shawna Flavell

Comments

• Erin says:

How can anyone possibly think it’s worth causing all this suffering just for some pusfilled milk and rotten cheese? I haven’t watched the video yet but I’ve read every comment. I am so relieved to be vegan. I don’t know why I didn’t do it much sooner. We owe it to these creatures to watch and share this video and to understand the hell they’ve lived in.

• Trudy says:

I have a friend that owns a dairy farm. She and her husband call them the “girls”. They are spoiled rotten. One day her daughters BFF Shirley the dairy cow had a sore leg. The tended to her and my friend went out and picked her a big bucket of grass instead of her having to walk on her bad leg. NOT ALL DAIRY FARMERS TREAT THEIR ANIMALS BADLY. This man has been charged but Ohio does NOT have very stiff laws against animal abuse. He’s been charged with 12 counts of animal abuse but I’m afraid it won’t be enough of a punishment. This man should spend some good old fashion jail time for what he did. He should NEVER be allowed to work with animals or ever OWN an animal. This man is a sociopath that gets pleasure from another pain. We don’t use dairy in our home because my son is Gluten Free Casein Free and Egg Free. But I did want to point out there are diary farmers in Ohio that do treat their animals with the respect they deserve. If we as humans are going to use animals for our gain milk meat medical then we should give them the utmost respect. I hate that humans think that animals are less than us. They have emotions they hurt they feel pain. They feel love this is evident in watching a momma animal with her newborn. This is also evident when you come home after a long day and they are the first to greet you at the door. I don’t know about you guys but I walk in my door and my family ignores me…my cat however old as she is gets up to meet me. I hope Ohio changes it’s laws after this. The good farmers won’t have a problem as they are good to their “girls”.

• Betsy says:

Heartbreaking….How can a civilized society allow this?

• A271 says:

This is absolutley horrible how can those people look at themselves in the mirror. How can anyone be soo cruel. If the poor abused were humans not animals those men would already be in jail.. That’s where they belong..

• Shari says:

Can you tell me if the man monster who did this is being prosecuted for hurting these cows? PLEASE let me know if he going to be arrested. I fell almost sick from heartache.

• Liv says:

Those people have serious mental illness. I hope they die from getting eaten by an animal. Also what makes me even sadder is that if this happens in the US I wouldn’t want to imagine what happens to the cows here in my country Indonesia where people basically treat animals like inanimate objects.

• Heather says:

This video broke my heart when I saw it earlier this morning and I’ve passed many cow fields today feeling a lot more pity for them than I usually do. I really don’t understand what’s going on in the brain of the abusers. I don’t know if they are such miserable people that hate their livesjob so much that they feel like they must take it out on someone completely defenseless but it IS WRONG. This is needless abuse and if it were happening to cats or dogs more people would surely be outraged. I stopped drinking real milk a year ago and I’m glad I switched to soy it comes in so many more flavors and my cholesterol levels are normal for the first time in years which is a big deal for someone who smokes. These operations need to be investigated more thoroughly all dairy and meat plants like this NEED video surveillance and should comply with strict animal welfare laws if they want to stay in business debate whether or not they should if they’re going to be around they might as well treat the animals as humanely as possible! In the meantime I will be boycotting these products and don’t feel bad explaining why to anyone who asks.

• Christine says:

I am completely overwhelmed. Watching this video made my blood pressure literally rise I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest. As another poster questioned WHY? Blatant inexcusable abuse. The unfortunate thing here is that factoryfarmed animals have NO RIGHTS! We as consumers have to tell our representatives in Washington that factoryfarmed animals must have the same protection that companion animals are afforded. I can not think clearly and my eyes are filled with tears.

• Sylvia says:

Its already bad enough that the cows are locked in those small cages. But then having some sick mentally disturbed worker stabing hitting the cows and calves makes it really disgusting. This is so cruel. I think the guy thinks the cow is a boxing bag…. just f.. wrong.

• Jamie says:

My heart breaks for these innocent defenseless animals who did NOTHING to warrant these disgustingly barbaric attacks against them. I am not a violent person but find myself wanting this lowlife form of humankind to suffer from the exact same violence it applied to these helpless cows and calves. Laws need to change in this country. Now. Just because an animal is “on a farm” is a cow or a chicken or a turkey does not mean it is somehow “less” than ones own house pets. And on top of all this horrific violence there’s an equaling heartstopping thought these very same lowlife monsters can at this minute be around children and elderly people anyone. Who knows what kind of abuse they serve out to their fellow man? People with this horrendous mentality are a threat to us all.

• sean says:

wot vile ppl i would quite happily hang these ppl who can do this hope they go 2 hell and get paid 3 fold

• Margy says:

The farm should be destroyed….the farmers jailed…the animals released…we need to avenge the animals

• Joanna says:

Absolutely heartbreaking. This needs to STOP!!

• Val says:

Has anyone got together a petition or other action plan to move with?

• Bratmarla says:

I would like to know which farm this is. Please. I am very disturbed by this and have been taking care of my mom’s farm animals since she passed away last month. They are her children the 6 chickens 1 cow 4 dogs and 1 60 lb dessert tourtouise someone dropped off in her yard half dead and only 15 lbs 6 years ago they all have names and love. I live in the florida keys and have temporarily moved to upstate NY to care for them and arrange tomove them at end of summer. I digress she left money plenty and I would like to remove these animals from these fat disguting repulsive evil rotten creatures and put them in the cages just for 15 minutes each and let me do unto them as they have done.

• Aitor says:

Let’s shut this batards down. We’ve done these sort of things before. Peta and it’s members can put a lot of pressure on this issue. Write demmand talk these animals need us!! We can do this!!

• kim says:

The men in this video inflicting the torture are sociopaths and likely enjoy hurting anyone or thing vulnerable. They need serious psychiatric counseling and most certainly…lengthy jail time! Appalling that we have to share the planet with assholes like this!!!

• Cocoa says:

I actually live in columbus ohio and seen this on the morning news this just makes me want to go Vegan even more..its absolutely heartbreaking

• Derek Graves says:

Sick saddening is the only words to describe the actions of the workers’ at the Conklin Dairy Farm. What’s even worse this place is only 5mi away from my home I can’t believe something so horrific is taking place in my own home town. Everyone please pass this news story to everyone you know that is the only way something will get done about this situation.

• Leslie Hathaway says:

I did not watch the video because I know it will make me sick. I have finally switched over to Almond Milk and it is really good. I am almost a vegetarian. I do not eat beef. After reading the comments posted above I know the video was gruesome and extremely sad. These workers need to be tortured in the exact same way. They need to be sent to hell. I feel so sad for these animals. Personally I can’t stand to see anything in this world suffering. I love animals and I am always trying to help them.

• LadyC says:

I think I’m gonna be sick! I’ve been struggling with becoming a vegan and removing dairy from my diet. I’m not touching another animal product ever again because of this!

• Carla* says:

I am lost for words!! I just keep deleting my words cause they’re to harsh to post!! They will suffer for this they will suffer for this!! Just when you thought you seen it all..God help those cows and calfs!! Go vegan everyone that IS the only way!!

• Bikesh Shrestha says:

Animals are our ancestors why people does such cruel act to our family members. They should be put on trial.

• Charlotte says:

I feel so guilty just watching this video. i’ve forwarded it to my friends on facebook and I hope they get the message. I can’t believe those men ENJOY torturing animals. That can’t be right. Being a Christian sort of i really do wonder what Jesus would think if he saw those bastards beating those cows. I mean didn’t he say to respect all living things and that every human was made in the image of God? Is that what God looks like? And respect my arse. Such unbelievable useless idiots those men who deserve to be killed.

• Walt Begnaud says:

What can be done about this and how quickly can it be stopped?

• Adam says:

Disgusting. These men deserve a fate worse than any sanction a court is going to give them.

• bunny says:

this is just absolutely disgusting. my head is shocked and speachless right now. im glad i dont drink dairy it makes me feel a little better that i dont engage in this cruelty…. but still . it still happens right now we need more vegans alpro chocolate soya milk is delicious and amazzing i suggest everyone try it! xD

• Brie says:

Please stop all this cruelty!!!! those cows don’t diserve to be tormented like this. They are animals and they have feelings too. Especially on a baby calf. I mean do they feel like big men beating on a poor innocent animal. Thats bullcrap….. I agree they have some serious mental problems.

• Bonnie says:

I don’t understand why they do this. It can’t be good financially to do these horrible things. I hope these people burn in hell. And no more Land o Lakes for me. Thanks peta!

• Joanna says:

One way to fight back is with your money…don’t buy anything with milk products in it. Not only will your health be much better your heart will be lighter as well. WE consumers are as responsible for the horrible life that dairy cows endure as any ‘caretaker’ of the animals. Take the extra step to contact the milk advisory board and let them know you have gone dairy free.

• Jenny says:

I think this guy has serious mental problems i mean how a healthy person can do something like that….is awful. Will he have childrens?? How companies can hire someone like that…thats wrong… i think in all those cows that are suffering right now and i cant help but feel worse. Im sad…really sad

• Hayley says:

The ignorance and sadism shown in this tape are truly shocking and disgusting. These “men” are taking out their feelings of anger and inadequecies on helpless animals. What disgusting immoral pathetic people.

• Tom says:

abuses like these aren’t the rule they are the exception. These workers need to be prosecuted and this operation needs to be investigated. But abuses like these aren’t as widespread as you make it sound. It makes no sense if you are a supplier of milk to abuse your livestock like this. Wounded or sick animals don’t produce as much milk or as high quality milk as healthy ones. So just from a business stand point it makes sense to take care of the animals which MOST farmers do. Now When abuse is documented that farm should suffer the consequences but it’s unfair to paint an industry as a whole because of isolated unfortunate incidents

• Aleksis says:

Absolutely horrible..I have some non vegan friends who actually live in this city hopefully I can spread the word!!

• YTK says:

These SOB’s are allowed to roam the streets? Why aren’t they in prison for what they just did? Do you think they just do this to animals?

• Jill says:

I am physically sick! Please tell me these men have been charged and the calves are safe. I can’t stop crying and i feel helpless! What is happening about this particular investigation?

• Emily says:

this is absolutely DISGUSTING. This is inexcusable… those men deserve to be tortured.

• shane says:

I saw this on our local news and it has driven me to finally make the jump from vegetarian to vegan. That video made me sick.

• Casper says:

So sad. And ironic that they were kicking cows in their DAIRYaire D

• Leda says:

can’t these workers be brought up on charges? what is the regulation on such behavior on these defenseless animals?

• Brian says:

This is heart wrenching. The worst case of animal cruelty I have ever seen. The way these cows were tortured is beyond belief. Wish there were something more I could do. This should be a top priority to get this video out to public and make sure the people and i used this word lightly these monsters responsible get lengthy jail terms. However i wont be surprised when nothing happens becaause farm animals aren’t protected under anti cruelty laws. People need to take to the streets to make sure nothing like this ever happens again. The owners of this farm don’t support Ohio Humane I wonder why

• Mindy Torres says:

Has this guy been arrested yet?

• Mary says:

This is horrible c3

• debbie draper says:

This is sick. I couldnt watch it past the first seconds and it made me gag. How can people be so cruel and evil. These animals have feelings too.

• maria says:

please tell me these men got in trouble with the law and are now in jail.

• MH says:

And those men are allowed to be within five hundred feet of animals WHY? Normally I don’t believe in violence but this… just awful. Makes me want to bust some heads. With a pine tree.

• anna says:

I dont understand why these farmers are treating their own animals so horrificly? what could be their reasons? its not going to make them produce anymore milk etc.? ..the only thing I can think of is that they just get pleasure from being cruel. I dont think its right to paint every dairy farm with the same brush though. In Ireland overall I think the farmers take much better care of their animals and have less cattle etc. to deal with so they have more personal attachments to them.

• Stephanie List says:

I actually live in Columbus Ohio and saw this story while watching the news at work and immediately forwarded it to PETA. Glad to see the word is spreading so quickly.

• Mary says:

The right thing to do here is to stop the violence. There are more humane ways to slaughter. Why do people have so much anger pent up and need to let it out on innocent animals. Bastards. Sooooooo angry now after seeing this video.

• Megha says:

This is horrible. These animals can be really good friends. People who are doing this are really frustrated!! they should be jailed!