Bolivia Bans Military Abuse of Animals (Historic Victory!)

Written by PETA | April 1, 2009

After less than a month of PETA campaigning, the Bolivian minister of defense went on that country’s national television to announce an historic ban on all animal abuse in military training exercises, stating that the Bolivian government is issuing Resolution 217 to prohibit all acts of violence, exploitation, and mistreatment that provokes the death of animals. Not only has Bolivia beaten the U.S. military to the punch, this ban is also Bolivia’s first military animal protection regulation ever.

This news comes as a direct result of PETA’s and PETA Germany’s campaigns, which were launched after horrific video footage was uncovered showing the Bolivian military’s mutilation and killing of dogs in combat-training exercises. More than 20,000 supporters joined in the effort, including a leading Bolivian congresswoman, Ximena Flores Castro, who talked with PETA and then met with the defense minister in order to get the resolution on the books.

Resolution 217 puts an end to military training exercises in which dogs were mercilessly stabbed to death as they screamed in pain. Not one more animal—dog or otherwise—will have to suffer such a miserable fate at the hands of the Bolivian military. The resolution also includes sanctions for those who violate the regulation.

This is a giant step in the right direction for Bolivia, and we hope to continue working closely with government officials to enact more animal protection laws.

Everyone who spoke out against this cruelty deserves a big pat on the back! Let’s keep up the momentum and urge the U.S. military to follow Bolivia’s compassionate lead.

Other Viewing Options

Written by Shawna Flavell

Comments

• Milka says:

OMG! i couldnt believe what i was seeing. But im so glad its over. I’m from Bolivia and have always been proud but now i’m even more prouder than ever. GO BOLIVIA!!!

• jennifer says:

OMG! thank goodness its over!! Thank you PETA!!

• KC says:

How thw HELL could you listen to that poor dog scream and not feel a thing about it! This video made me cry! I may be small but this is mean sick cruel discusting and WRONG! THANK YOU PETA FOR THE AWSOME WIN TO STOP THIS!!!

• gaby says:

THANKS PETA la masacre a los seres vivos es lo peor q puede haverya q ellos no c pueden defender.porfavor agan q paren esta porqueriay y que dejen a los animales en paz…

• ashley says:

eye 4 a eye what you do to 1 that shuld be done to them thows people shuld be shot and die.i have seen a pirson hit a dog over and over agen and i called the cops they did not do a thing. so the next time i seen the dog out i took it and gave it to my sis now it is a happy dog thats just 1 life i want to help more and i will.

• tatiana parra says:

I’m glad that it has stopped but you know i dont think is only in Bolivia but also in my country PERU I.m not sure but i have seen couple months ago a report on the spanish news on how they use dogs too in the army to train the soldiers. Please be aware of this. How can we find out for sure?

• ana veronica macias alonzo says:

thanks peta i love you go peta go peta go peta go peta go peta go pta go vegetarian go vegetarian

• Chris Lopez says:

THANKS PETA!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE KHLOE KARDASHIAN!!!!!

• Jerry says:

Go PETA Meat is Murder

• Hagen says:

Its so cruel. When i watched this video i became so aggressive because i love dogs and i hate people who do that .

• animallover says:

OMG that is soo cruelhow cold hearted can you be to do something like this.

• Fatos says:

Thanks PETA! Im so happy that torture stopped!

• uzair says:

HOW CAN PEOPLE LIKE THIS DO THAT! MAY THEY BURN IN HELL FOREVER!

• Jerry says:

doesn’t the US euthanize enough animals every day without having to be cruel about it?? I hate dogs but that still does not make me want to do something like that. Now if it was Bin Laden……

• trstn says:

OMG that just put me in tears i am not famous but i would definitely do what they are. i just wanted to say that you rock and to keep on doing what ya’ll do.

• LUZ DARY says:

THANKS !PETA! FOR YOUR HARD WORD

• jessi says:

I LOVVE YOU PETA!

• Dan says:

That’s great for a dog lover like me! Keep up the good work PETA!

• olivia ceballos says:

PETA you are the best in this world THANK YOU SO MUCH FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTHS WE ARE PROUD OF PETA KEEP GOING GOD BLESS YOU FOR LIFE

• Sandra Guido says:

CONGRATULATIONS. You should now take steps towards investigating US ARMY. If they trained Bolivians where else in the world are they teaching the same practices?? It is good to look into you own home

• Savannah says:

Thanks PETA!! Im so happy that torture stopped!

• Jack says:

That was definitely not right. good that it’s stopped

• Animal Welfare Association, India says:

Saw this video now. Such barabaric methods of traninging ostensibily meant to make them ruthless commandos is in fact nothing but cowardice. Killing helpless dogs aren’t you ashamed ? Bolivia. Good that PETA got the animal protection act in place please make sure that it is FOLLOWED .

• Carolina says:

thanks PETA thank u very much!!!!!!!!!!

• Kaila says:

I thank all of you at PETA so much for ending this. What comes for these poor defenseless animals in the hands of these monsters is just a disgrace! Seeing this made me cry! Soldiers are the ones supposed to be helping end suffering… not the ones to bring it upon living creatures. Thanks again to all of you!

• Cris Smothers says:

Thanks Peta!

• cesar says:

dam i am so glad this happend and this shit stoped!!!!!!

• Nicole says:

WOW… Thank you PETA for really really really making a difference in this world!!!!!!!!!! It does pay off the hard work and efforts and goes to show that there are many of us out there that really care!

• Heather says:

what does this prove? aside from the futility of war and fighting..are their imagined opponents going to be as unassuming and helpless? I would imagine that the soldiers they are training to be able to defeat are also trained in killing..so they won’t be helpless and gentle like an animal. I can’t believe that after all I’ve seen happen to animals at the hands of humans I am still seeing new tortures..really impressive..the military establishments of the world should be proud that they can not only inflict damage and destruction on other humans but on the animal kingdom as well..hope they can sleep at night…I know they are brainwashed into not having a conscience..maybe they have no cerebral function either. Apparently.

• Tracey says:

MONSTERS! I couldn’t watch more than one video. Thank god for PETA and its supporters.

• Sandra says:

WOW !!!! I pray that they really mean it. I am from Peru and this happens there too. They once showed a documentary about the same type of abuse. I don’t live there right now but this would be such a huge thing if they followed Bolivia’s example. Thank you for all you do

• yasin says:

Thanks Peta for your hard work

• Cindy says:

I am so thankful that Peta did something.. It hurt me so bad that these animals had to suffer.. I have 2 dogs of my own and the stuff they did just break my heart.. THANKS!!!!

• Tamia Fields Panagio says:

Thanks Peta for your hard work and Thanks to everyone that helped with the letters and petitionsLETS SAVE EVEN MORE LIVES OF INNOCENT ANIMALS.WE ARE THEIR VOICE SO LETS STICK TOGETHER AND MAKE MORE HISTORY.CONGRATS TO YOU PETA AND I BACK YOU ALL THE WAY.

• Lindsey says:

GREAT JOB PETA!!!! I’M SOOOOOOOO GLAD THAT THIS SITUATION HAS BEEN FIXED. KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK!!!!

• Helen says:

it really good if the ban is tru but I am always sceptical to the military. This training have nothing to do with military or defence it encurageing brutality do we want that in the military anywhere?

• heather says:

omg i saw this and started crying! thats so horable!! what hearless person could do that

• Xoi says:

OMG thank you PETA for stopping them. Watching it almost make me throw up. Thats horrible that they use dog for training. wtf is wrong with them.

• jasil says:

thanks a lot PETA! since the bottom of my heart thanks for helping so much now in my country Bolivia.

• jenny says:

I am so so happy to hear the wonderful news. I couldn’t bring myself to watching the very sad footage. It would of brought tears to my eyes. NO ANIMAL SHOULD SUFFER! well done PETA!

• Evelyne Meier says:

This is fantastic news ! Thank you PETA and to all involved with the creation of this new law in Bolivia. There are still lots of animal abuse in Bolivia but this is now already a great victory which will hopefully be followed by many others to protect the animals from being tortured and abused by heartless and feelingless beasts!

• Carolyn says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH PETA!

• angelica says:

i think no kind of animal should die of this horro i cried when i saw this thank you peta

• teresa says:

This can seriously affect children at a young age to grow and grow cold sickpeole it is degrading thatsoldiers be put to all have to bite and actually eat from the animal itself it is shocking it could never be forgotten it nearly drew a knock to my throat.It Has to Stop! Thank you PETA Teresa

• Maura says:

Thank you PETA and let’s pray the US govt follows the Bolivian govt’s footsteps. I am not sure what drives human beings to act this way. Please keep up the world informed.

• Jasmine says:

Oh my golly! BEAutiful victory over such abuse!! I am so happy that you won over Bolivia and I hope and wish that the United States will soon get it into there heads also thanks!

• Priya Rathore says:

Wonderful Thank you PETA. U r simply great. I had also signed the petition. It really works. Firstly thanks to bring it to our notice. Im so glad. I’ll now share the news with my other friends who also signed the petition on my recommendation.

• Richard Huijbregts says:

Aldo it was pain that i was feeling seeing that film im glad i dit see it so that i can do something about this animalabusing! I just cant understand why people are capeble of doing something like this? It really makes me Sad

• Dan Kuss says:

congratulations to everybody involved in the tireless plight against animal cruelty. times like this make it feel like perhaps there is hope.

• kate says:

This is the most sickening kind of human behaviour. Hard to believe even after watching it with my own eyes. Congrats for the victory I hope it prevents this vile behaviour from ever happening again.