Bob Barker Defends Mommy Deer

Written by PETA | July 21, 2008

nab / CC
bob_barker1.jpg

Bob Barker was famous for reminding The Price Is Right viewers about the importance of having companion animals spayed or neutered and keeping fur off the show, among other kind things. This week, he’s speaking up for deer—in particular, two does and their fawns who live in Great Falls, Virginia.

The deer have been using an ancestral woods path (which now goes through a small development) to reach what remains of the woods, where they sleep at night. Until, that is, one neighbor got all up in arms over some flowers that the deer allegedly had a nibble on (flowers, really?) and got a “nuisance kill” permit from the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) to abate the “nuisance.”

The neighbor has hired a bow hunter in full regalia, who has set up a tree stand and even deployed a decoy, a lure, to attract the deer to where he can shoot them. There are easy and simple things you can do to live in harmony with wildlife, of course, but it takes a heart.

Props to the other neighbors who are fighting back hard to have the permit revoked and were able to contact Bob Barker—not by some spectacular third degree of separation miracle, by the way: One of the neighbors operated on Mr. Barker when he fell ill in Washington. Mr. Barker shot off a letter to the DGIF, which you can read here

Like many neighborhoods, this community is experiencing wildlife up close because, sadly, these wonderful, capable, now almost homeless animals are being forced to search for food, shelter, and some plain old stimulation—in part because trees are being chopped down faster than you can yell timber just to make room for more strip malls, grocery stores, and, yes, even more Wal-Marts. Jump on over to HelpingAnimals.com for handy tips on how to humanely handle wildlife.

Posted by Jennifer Cierlitsky

Comments

• CB says:

Glen Thanks for the update that is how PETA should update things. It makes no sense to get riled up 2 days after issue is resolved. 72008

• Jamie Garrison says:

I enjoy seeing the deer that play in my back yard every morning…..more so than the neighbor kids that throw their trash in my back yard everyday!! Can I shoot thier parents instead??

• Mike Quinoa says:

Thanks for the link Glen. The Petersons did the right thing. Somethings are more important than a few flowers.

• Phill says:

So basically this neighbor thinks that he must kill something to protect his FLOWERS? I didn’t know hunters were such gardening fanatics. There goes that macho image they had… Seriously can we force him into a psych ward? That’s where he belongs! I can’t believe you can get a nuisance kill permit. I’d like to get one so that I can kill half the people I know!

• CAROLYN says:

BOB BARKER YOU ARE A GREAT EXAMPLE OF MAN DOING THE RIGHT THING BY OUR FELLOW SPECIES! I RESPECT YOU AND PETA! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO…..

• Glen Venezio says:

The situation has been resolved see this great article about it all httpwww.washingtonpost.comwpdyncontentarticle20080719AR2008071901577.html?hpidnewscolblog or use this shorter link httptinyurl.com5a7lvw

• Judith says:

Antigone 1000 I hear you! Laughter in the first degree! After all these hunters have a real blast when they go on kills. Drinking laughing killing it’s become the American way! If the bow backfires its poetic justice! And I approve this ad! Peace and love Antigone. Peace for all animals!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Yay Bob Barker a true and tireless defender of animals! This neighborperson truly has to open their heart and let the sun shine in. Having such a cold miserly heart will bring on cardiac arrest.

• CB says:

Maybe the “neighbors” flowers should all be pulled out one night to avoid the conflict. The issue I have is will we ever hear of the results. I send of a lot of emails and faxes at PETA’s request but never hear how the story ended. PETA really needs to address this as when they get someones anger and emotions going they also deserve resolution good or bad.

• brandie r says:

Too bad for the does. I would love to live in an area where deer are right outside my back door. What a nice way to be close to nature. Hopefully this person will have a change of heart. What else would he expect when he lives near an area where wild animals roam? He needs to be educated.

• Jess says:

Bob Barker is my hero! We need more decent people like him.

• Antigone1000 says:

Judith That’s exactly what I was thinking. And for anyone who wants to know if the bowhunter DOES shoot himself I WILL be laughing.

• Barbara says:

Bob Barker is such a wonderful person and friend to the animals. I very much admire everything he has done and continues to do for them. What a wonderful wonderful man.

• Judith says:

I can only hope that this Bow Hunter’s arrow backfires! But I hope it doesn’t go that far. Thanks Bob you are a good and decent man. Peace for all animals!

• kelly says:

The problem appears to be a mentally disturbed neighbor who is getting DGIF to do him a special favor and collude in this insanity. A lunatic bow hunter in the trees? Sucking down six packs? How long until this hillbilly kills someone or their child or pet?

• NT says:

I’d like to get a permit to shoot a few “nuisance” neighbours…

• Rex's Mom says:

This man is a heartless cold cruel animal hater. He cares more about flowers than he does about a living breathing beautiful harmless animal. He should leave the area and go live in a big city where he can go and smell all the flowers he wants in any park. Just leave the deer who were there first alone!

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

Thank you Jennifer PETA for educating us about deforestation! I would give anything for enough money to move into an already existing home in the woods and to see deer nibbling on flowers in my yard I’d be in seventh heaven! As a wildlife rehabber I’m getting dozens more calls each year about wildlife encounters. We destroy forests build our homes there and where do we expect the deer to go?? If we hadn’t exterminated all the wolves there would be less deer. How idiotic people clear land in the forest to build a home and then…..GOD FORBID YOU MIGHT SEE A WILD ANIMAL!! They live there for cripe’s sake! If you don’t like deer move to downtown Boston or New York City! Why would you move to the woods if you hate deer?? Save the forests less conflicts between humans and wildlife.

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

An electric fence has been the most effective deterent in my vegetable garden. The best orientation is at an angle facing away from the garden making it more difficult for the deer to jump the fence. In general if the deer have something else to eat they’ll leave your garden alone. I imagine they get pretty hungry in suburbia.

• Antigone1000 says:

Seems like the problem is the neighbor not the deer. I would work on getting them to moveMaybe karma will step in here……. Anyway I give credit to Bob Barker. He’s always been a great advocate for the animals.