Authorities Are on the Scene at PETCO and PetSmart Supplier

Written by PETA | April 22, 2010

It’s déjà vu all over again, and it’ll probably have you wondering: What is PETCO thinking? Other than, “Hey, we can make some money!”

A PETA undercover investigator worked for more than three months at Sun Pet Ltd., an animal dealer in Atlanta that sells hamsters, mice, gerbils, birds, fish, and other small animals directly to PetSmart, PETCO, Pet Supplies “Plus,” Petland, and Walmart. He documented that animals were cruelly killed, abusively handled, and kept in severely crowded, filthy conditions. Surprised?

PETA’s investigator witnessed numerous abuses. A worker put hamsters in a plastic bag and bashed them against a table in an attempt to kill them. He also reported that many sick and injured animals died after PETCO and PetSmart stores returned them like damaged goods to Sun Pet without enclosing any food or water for the long journey, instead of providing them with veterinary care or ending their suffering.

PETA turned over the investigator’s findings to law-enforcement authorities. This morning, officials descended on Sun Pet’s massive warehouse.

Sun Pet sells hundreds of thousands of animals annually, just like U.S. Global Exotics (USGE), the exotic-animal dealer that PETA investigated late last year. That investigation resulted in the seizure of more than 26,000 animals, the largest animal seizure in history. (Perhaps also not surprisingly, Sun Pet has ties to USGE. Before that hellhole was raided and shut down, Sun Pet purchased hamsters from USGE and then sold them to PETCO stores, among others!)

This is PETA’s fourth exposé revealing the abusive and filthy conditions endured by animals who are eventually sold at PETCO stores and our third exposé revealing conditions for animals who are eventually sold at PetSmart stores. Please tell PetSmart and PETCO in no uncertain terms to stop selling animals in their stores.

PETA investigations amply demonstrate that appalling neglect and abuse is just business as usual for companies that buy and sell living beings, so please tell your coworkers, friends, and everyone you know not to shop in their stores.

Written by Alisa Mullins

Comments

• chiballon says:

just HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE

• Mary B. says:

Disgusting. How can we get these stories out to the public? more people need to know whats going on there. we should boycot these stores. im so discusted with people. their so cruel to gods creatures.

• vince wilson says:

the answer is simple here. just boycott these places like i do. i knew about this abuse for years and i will never go into a petco or petsmart and patronize them. that is what people dont realize. we can sit here all day and whine and complain how wrong and cruel this is. but at the end of the day they are still posting profits. by boycotting these stores they will be crippled financially and eventually declare chapter 13 bankruptcy. that is the only way to respond here.

• venuluxmy says:

wat on earth like a human can do such ediotic thing ?? i am getting tears on my eyes …how can we stop this ? plz help those por animals ….not only hamsters but all the other animals toooo…they also like to live …plz they r like our children..plz ……….

• Jessica says:

I have a hamster from Petsmart right now and she isn’t very peoplefriendly I thought it was just because she was underexposed to people before not that she was too exposed! Poor little baby I can’t even pet her to comfort her because she doesn’t even like it.

• Taylor says:

This is disgusting. I don’t care if it’s a dog a cat a hamster a cow a bird or any other animal they should all be treated with care and respect. It disgusts me to think that people could do this. It’s footage like this that makes me ashamed of being a human. Well done PETA for catching them out on it!

• amber says:

How can people be so cruel! It makes me sick to my stomach.Why don’t people see that they are entitled to rights that they should be treated with respect! I ask myself where did our morals go as the American people?

• Lisa says:

Why is Petco and Petsmart getting all the blame for this? What about the people who breed these animals and supply them? Those are the people who are abusing these animals. Those people should be punished. I in know way support what these suppliers are doing to the animals. At least Petco and Petsmart sell the animals and get them out of that enviornment.

• Sandi Bamrick says:

Petco…Pet Smart…I am ashamed to say I have made many purchases in your stores spoiling my adopted pets with toys treats ect. It was and is YOUR sole responsibility to do the research on the places YOU obtained your animals from. YOU are the multimillion dollar conglomerates in for the profit as any company is…but you have the funding to research where and how you obtain and care for animals you purchase for your sales…never again will I set foot in either store…even if you change your ways…they are practices that should have NEVER been allowed to happen. I will encourage ALL family and friends and I have many of both to follow in my footsteps…YOU are banned. P.S. To the handlers.. Karma is an evil ‘lil btch and it ALWAYS comes back

• samantha says:

oh my gosh i have a deep love for animals why do they do this crap?!

• Iasmine says:

Those suckers. You must show their faces! Gosh I wanna kill them. Sorry but I feel so angry when I see these cruelty.

• alejandra says:

thta its so cruel i hate that people lets kill them

• Stacy says:

The companies will keep selling the animals because people buy them. If this was known to people on a regular basis they might think twice about purchasing there new pet and stop the pet shops from selling animals. Its been implanted in our minds as children to go to the petshop if you want a hamster bird or lizard . Demand equals $$$$. With all the laws being passed the animals should have one too . Overpopulation breeding it is out of control . We all suffer in the end mentally and the deaths of innocent animals for years to come. A voice for the animals apparently will only come if laws are passed this seems like the only way it might be able to be stopped . MAKE THE COMPANIES PAY BIG FINES !! It is only acceptable since they want to do business this way . They know what that company does .

• Daniel Mariano says:

People who abuse animals in this manner are mentally ill criminals who should not be employed ANYWHERE.If you don’t respect life why do you work in the pet store?PETCO and PETSMART will be held 100 accountable for thier gross negligence in that they cannot commit to the most basic of duties in keeping thier animals safe.

• Brenda McCrary says:

Why cann’t these be treated in a good way. This will not cast more it is not a lot of work. Just a little comme sense. They would be very will taken care.

• Annelies Craig says:

shame shame shame……how do these people sleep at night or even face other human beings…..no words can describe how sick these people truly are.

• Cheryl says:

these people should be put in containers and closed up in some warehouse. what cold hearted humans BASrds

• Traci says:

I am a Petco employee and I will say that the people in our store are SHOCKED and outraged when we were informed this morning by Petco! We have people that do suprise inspections of all our animal vendors not just when there is an issue. I do want to point out that this is a VENDOR not an actual Petco company. At our store when we do get sick animals arrive we are told they are treated andor HUMANELY euthanized when they are sent back. So you can see why this is so shocking! If they get sick while in our care we take them to an actual nonPetco affiliated vet! the same one I take my cats to I don’t understand why our vendors can’t respect our standards! I think we should drop them and give our business to a company that cares!

• amarjeet singh nahal says:

it was very painful to see this treatment being given to innocent animalsbirds.in hindu religion KARMA THEORY applies i.e.be prepared for same treatment by almighty.sowe should not commit these type of crimessins

• Giordanne Melgar says:

it makes me so sad to see these little people being treated that way… its so unfair they’re like babies they cant say or show you how much it hurts them… its like an animal holocaust!

• Mary says:

I’m sick of people talking about abortion on this site especially the ones saying that PETA should be focusing on human problems instead of animal problems. They need to go to an antiabortion site and stop complaining about offtopic themes.

• Cassy K. says:

After watching this video I’m so sick to my stomach. Knowing that there are people in this world who can put those innocent creatures through such horrible treatment. The best thing we can do is share this video. Make people aware of the abuse the animals suffer. Don’t promote petco or petsmart!!!

• Lottie says:

I hate being human because it means im in some indirect way related to these people. I’m only 16 and very depressed about finding out how terrible this world is. I work in a pet shop in England but we get all our animals from local breeders who look after thier animals. Some days i think about leaving but what good would that do? They would just get someone else less knowledgeable than me who wouldn’t educate people on animals properly. it makes me sick every day i have to go into work and have bratty children tapping on the glass and shouting and being rude about the rats. But what can i do?

• Fabio says:

My God there is no one who sees this government authorities etc. We need to show it someone needs to punish these people

• Martha says:

This makes me sick. I am going too email PetSmart and tell them how appalling they do business for the all mighty $. I had no idea that they were doing this. If they don’t change their way “I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN”. After reading this I had myself a good cry Peta keep up the good work.

• Stephanie says:

This is horrible! WTF was going through these “peopls” minds when they desded to do this stuff to the poor animals!?!??! These “people” should be hanged or worse….

• zoe says:

That pissed me off AND makes me cry at the same time. Why hasant petco and petsmart even doing anything? they know its wrong! That is why i have NEVER bought an animal in my life. I always adopt

• Punkie says:

Oh my GAWD! That’s BULL! D How dare they treat those animals as if they were nothing! Why don’t they try getting thrown into tubs like that! SERIOUSLY!! bastards! I feel so bad poor cute little mice hamsters guinea pigs and other small rodents.

• Bekkah says:

What in the world are they thinking? Honestly how could you be so cruel to animals!? It makes me sick…

• Dr. Kenneth C. Wenzer says:

A total inhumane disgrace.

• RENE NARVAEZ says:

Newsmaker CNN Thousands flood phone lines to protest small animal abuse in major Pet chain pet suppliers warehouses Petco and Petsmart targeted in major abuse scandal ….PLEASE MAKE A CALL TODAY AND SEND THIS TO YOUR FRIENDS HELP END THE SUFFERING STOP PETCO AND PETSMART FROM PROFITING FROM ABUSE PETSMART 8007381385 PETCO 8584537845 MAKE YOUR CALLS TODAY KEEP CALLING POST THIS AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS FLOOD THE LINES MAKE THEM LISTEN

• antonio mattioli says:

once again the man playing of God. Thinking can go of everything and of all. Misunderstanding!

• Linda Prok says:

What is wrong with people. We’re not PetCo shoppers and now no longer PetSmart.

• Susan Little says:

This sickens me. I thought Petco and Petsmart were better than this. I spend quite a bit of money at those stores and will now be taking my business elsewhere. Does anyone have the name of a humane place that sells Natural Balance dog food? I will be buying other products at BaxterBoo.com which I’ve been doing already. They don’t sell animals on that site.

• Ruth says:

Genesis 128 Further God blessed them and God said to them Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth. 29 And God went on to say Here I have given to YOU all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To YOU let it serve as food. 30 And to every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food. And it came to be so. If you read what it says it says Here I have given to YOU all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To YOU let it serve as food. God was talking about animals and people eating VEGETATION. ANIMALS ARE NOT FOR EATING OR FOR WEARING. ANIMALS ARE FOR TAKING CARE OF NOT TO ABUSE THEM. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO TO GOD’S CREATION REMEMBER HE IS WATCHING ALL THE TIME. And if you believe in god or you do not you have to believe simple you eat drink sleep and breath these are his rules. REMEMBER BE GOOD TO HIS CREATION IF YOU WANT HIM TO REMEMBER YOU. ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND SOONER OR LATER YOU WILL DIE.

• Ami says:

Before I knew about this I would buy tons and tons of mice from there I love mice and I bought them so no body woukd feed them to snakes but this enrages me even more mice hamsters all animals and sweet and gentle creatures They’re extremely smart too I wish I could grab these guys and do the same to them.

• carolyn Munro says:

I have never bought an animal in a pet store and never will I am a cat lover and I have 4 plus feeding a stray and even dewormed him with my 4 When I want a kitten I take them from someone I know or SPCA

• Samantha says:

These Cruel pet stores should be shut for good and the only way to do this is to stop bringing them bussiness i.e dont shop there because then they won’t be making a profit.

• Isik says:

Disgusting..Shame on them…They can’t see how painful it is unless we put them into same cage…

• Rodrigo Garcia says:

When profit enters the ecuation humane behavior is out the door. Never buy at these stores.

• Beverly G says:

I will continue to fight for any animal and I can’t comment on these mother…… people because they would have to wash my mouth out with soap. I love every single one of you. My hamsters have saved my life over and over. I used to be afraid of mice and rats but now I see how special they are. Judgement day is coming you pesticides!

• Dave says:

Yes the people that do this to all GODS creatures should have the same done to them. An eye for and eye. Should be more laws against these people and charge them with felonies. GOD BLESS everyone for standing up against these horrible things.

• Beverly G says:

No one could love animals more than I could. I have had hamsters for years and all animals are beautiful!!! People who do these things obviously are not afraid of God’s wrath. What goes around comes around punks! Animals rule! I will continue to help and save any animal! I shop at Petsmart Petco and other pet stores and if I see any bad conditions I report it to the manager. If you see things don’t be afraid to say something. Think if someone was mistreating your child this way. And I don’t want to hear they are just animals. I hate that sh..

• Kimi says:

Oh my goodness how could they think this is the right way to treat animals ?!?!?!? I’m seriously shakened by what they are doing it’s just not right at all ! Thanks you PETA for the video you have provided ! I really wished these people would think how they would even imagine to feel the death that these poor innocent helpless animals have gone through .

• miranda says:

quelle cruauts il faudrais leur faire la mme choses   tous ces humains qui font du mal   ces pauvres animaux sans dfense.   ce demand qui est l’animal?

• John Camrody says:

This is absolutely shameful! CLOSE THEM DOWN!!!

• Matt says:

This is disgusting and pisses me off i sthere anyway to stop it?!?! We need agressive activism!

• Jamie Shirey says:

This is just disgusting..I don’t know how “people” can do this and actually be OK with it…makes me so sad to know that we live in a world with “people” like this.

• ana says:

and then we say “we are human beings”..oh yes…shame shame shame and more that shame CRUELTY!

• A.Orhanova says:

I can not believe that exists such a cruel people!!Vive the hell for these kinda people!!!