Army in the Market to Mutilate 3,600 Goats

Written by Michelle Kretzer | May 23, 2012

The U.S. Army’s plans to use animals in trauma training are enough to make a goat faint. The army is in the market to buy up to 3,600 goats to torment and kill in exercises like those seen in this shocking undercover video, which PETA released last month. The video, sent to us by a brave whistleblower, shows instructors as they saw off live goats’ limbs with tree trimmers and crudely cut open the animals’ abdomens and yank out their organs. Goats moan loudly and kick during the procedures.

Goats are intelligent, inquisitive, social animals who can quickly learn to open latches on farm gates and let themselves out. Moms and kids share a strong bond and have been known to recognize each other even if they have been separated for years.

The Army plans to mutilate thousands of goats even though high-tech human simulators are readily available and offer soldiers superior training in how to treat wounds in the field.

Comments

• BRITTANY ROBERTSON says:

HOW COULD ANY OF YOU PEOPLE TORTURE AN INNOCENT ANIMAL AND WATCH IT SUFFER THROUGH SUCH HORRIFIC PAIN. I WILL NOT SUPPORT THE US ARMY IF THIS IS WHAT TYPE OF CRUELTY THEY PUT ONTO ANIMALS. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING AND WRONG. PUT YOURSELVES IN THEIR POSITION. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU ALL TRY.

• Christena Ruiz-Lewis says:

Please don’t use goats! Stop now!!!

• Cheryl Seiler says:

I pray for these animals and I pray this stops. This is so cruel it leaves me speechles and in tears.

• Randa Palfy says:

This is sick. Please use mechanical simulators rather than sentient, defenseless animals.

• Jason Koerth says:

This is disgusting that the army would do this and put them on the table and do it them instead… this disgrace STOP STOP STOP THIS NOW.

• Beyondfabulous says:

Please save the goats. /Ann

• tricia mcdermid says:

This is the sort of thing you would expect to happen in the middle east not in a supposedly civilized and educated society as America likes to portray itself….shame on you!

• Mark Glassman says:

Horrible, mindless cruelty!

• Cheryl Seiler says:

• Dianne Horner Fox says:

Mutilating goats is unnecessary and unforgivable! TOO CUTE TO CUT!

• Margotbean says:

The “take action now” button isn’t working! I’m so frustrated, they cannot be allowed to torture animals this way!

• Adriana SG says:

Stop this cruel activity!!!

• Rip Rense says:

This is unnecessary and unbelievably cruel.

• Verena Schönburg says:

stop using goats for trauma training

• Maria Garcia Sineriz says:

Thousands of years ago humans stepped out of their vegetarian diet, and started a bloody road. Armies are based on this violence. We can change this, it has to be a personal revolution.

• Lori Shoaf says:

I am shocked and distressed to know of plans for these poor animals. I am sure these tests are not essential for training. Show the world that the armed forces has compassion for living creatures.

• jacky saintjohn says:

If this is real. (I couldn’t watch video!!) I am beyond disappointment in our army & this nation. Have we become like third world countries?? Barbarians? This is horrific & I’m at a loss for words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jo lumsden says:

What in the heck is wrong with you people? This is horrendous and unnecessary!

• jo lumsden says:

What in the heck is wrong with you people? This is horrendous and unnecessary!

• Elyssa Antonelle says:

Why??? I am appauled that our military would do such cruel acts to such beautiful, innocent animals! Please STOP this now and use the human simulators instead…..Come on!

• Amra Alajbegovic says:

Though to my anger towards this; I can’t even express my opinion and why one should NEVER even consider doing this. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING is worth doing this. I very seldom write complaints like this but I had to do something because this is just plain stupidity ( excuse my term) but thats what it is…..

• Stacia says:

Goats have feelings too!!

• WHAAATTTTTTTTT???? says:

Why on earth would you think it is okay to do this?  This world is so messed up.  We are here once, O-N-C-E and we fight for nothing, leave the [text cut] animals out of it!

• ph says:

Can this be sent a different way when I click on the take action button nothing happens.

• vanny sterling says:

I am disgusted that you would do such a thing! What purpuse could this serve? OMG when will people finally understand that animals fell pain too. You wouldnt cut up children like this. Please stop this torture now! There are plenty of other ways to conduct what you are trying without using live animals.

• Leslee A. says:

This does not make me proud.

• Leslee A. says:

This does not make me proud.

• Tiffany says:

And the US is supposed to be the most “humane” country, but yet we torture and maim and kill defenseless animals? How does that teach ANYONE ANYTHING about how to treat people?! Actions like this, and by OUR OWN GOVERNMENT, are disgraceful. I’m so ashamed right now. We see our soldiers constantly caught up in scandals overseas; raping women, urinating on dead bodies. I guess they learn to behave that way from the Army.

• Claudia Vighini says:

Stop this crime!!!

• weronika says:

stop!!

• Dorothy L Davies says:

Save thousands of goats from cruel trauma training exercises by using modern simulators instead!

• Karen says:

WTH???? This is the most disgusting, horrific thing I have seen in a long time!!!! What is wrong with our military???? We are tax payers and we are paying for the military to KILL and MUTILATE innocent animals!!!!! SHAME on YOU US Armed Forces!!!! Test your SICK practices on each other… NOT on innocent, defenseless animals!! You make me ILL!!!!!!

• Suren says:

This is horrendous. There has to be a more humane way to do train soldiers.

• Sina Hartwig says:

This is really shocking, horrible, cruel! I cannot believe that people are able to do things like that. who are you thinking that you’ve got the right to make animals suffer like that? It is a big crime and I ask you to stop that. you don’t have the right to do this, to make animals suffer like that! Stop it!

• Gary Allen says:

People who are cruel to animals are cruel period!

• Sina Hartwig says:

• Mirella says:

It is a barbaric act ! So why to do it ? ! There is no need to it. Please stop this cruelty !

• Mirella says:

• Diane Smith says:

PLEASE DON’T USE GOATS FOR YOUR TRAINING!! USE THE MODERN SIMULATORS. IF THE GOVERNMENT WON’T BUY THE SIMULATORS FOR YOU TELL PETA OR ANY ANIMAL GROUP AND WE WILL START A CAMPAIGN TO GET THEM FOR YOU. pLEASE, PLEASE DON’T USE THE GOATS. I WILL PRAY THAT YOU MAKE THE HUMANE AND SANE DECISION. IT MAKES ME ILL TO THINK OF THE PAIN THESE ANIMALS WILL GO THROUGH!! AND TO RUB SALT INTO THE WOUND IT IS TOTALLY NOT NECESSARY. I AM BEGGING YOU TO NOT USE ANIMALS ANY MORE!!! PLEASE!!!! LET US KNOW AND WE WILL HELP YOU GET THE SIMULATORS IF IT’S A PROBLEM!!!!!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!

• sjb1910 says:

This is outrageous…I thought our country was more civilized than this

• teresa says:

please stop the abuse of these animals

• Sandra says:

I am disgusted more and more by my government’s total and complete lack of compassion for animals. My tax dollars are to be spent on mutilating these animals and I WANT IT STOPPED IMMEDIATELY. Why in the HELL is the Army allowed to do this???? Who is in charge of this and what is their excuse for this horrid act???? DO NOT TELL ME TRAINING. I know about training and this is not training this is pure animal abuse. I am sickened by this and something has to be done to stop it. The more I see of the USA government the more I am disgusted by it. STOP THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ehren Hock says:

Does this link work? I click it and it does nothing… Can anyone help?

• Canan Tzelil says:

The most repulsive act ever from Military, how is this helping training, what is this meant to achieve, hurting and torturing beautiful animals, pathetic I say and disrespectful to innocent, beautiful animals, makes me angry and repulsed and disgusted.

• Carolyn G says:

Please do not cut open the goats, or any other animial, in your cruel tramatic training exercises. Surely you can use modern simulators instead of ending a life. Thank you

• Jenny says:

STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

• Max says:

Stop this unneccessary cruelty to goats and pigs now!

• Linda Lennon says:

What a disgusting waste of resources & of precious life! Sickens me!

• Creature41 says: