Another Dead Orca at SeaWorld

Written by PETA | October 5, 2010

Another day, another death at SeaWorld. The latest casualty is a 25-year-old orca named Kalina who died yesterday at the theme park’s Orlando location, far short of most orcas’ expected 50- to 60-year life span. As usual, SeaWorld will likely try to keep this death on the down low.

Kalina spent two and a half decades in misery, never having the chance to choose a mate, live with her family, or roam the vast oceans.

Stig Nygaard/CC by 2.0

SeaWorld’s cheap tricks will continue to cost animals their lives as long as the public buys a ticket. Please tell SeaWorld’s owners that you’ll be staying far away. Also, check out PETA’s True Friends Memorial page set up for Kalina here.

Written by Jennifer O’Connor

Comments

• Carla Killeen says:

Release these beautiful animals back to the wild NOW! Stop the abuse.

• Karen Brown says:

SHAME SHAME SHAME SEA WORLD! You should be shut down forever! Using animals for human entertainment is selfish and cruel. These precious beings know they are not in their natural habitat, no matter how much money you spent on it! It is WRONG and INHUMANE to keep these animals held captive and deprived of their natural instinctual way of life. DIE, SEA WORLD, DIE!

• Catherine Urena says:

To whom it may concern(Sea world), I am disgusted that yet again another death has occured,no OUTRAGED!!!How can you permit such monstosity to happen orcas are beatuful wonderful creatures just like people they dont want to be inslaved in a dungeon!!!If you were a orca how would you feel haveing 20 out of 25 years of your life taken away from you for “amusment”! This isnt a amusment park and if it is im ashamed with the people who attend this muderous place. what this place is is the path to death an orca has died not even living to half the expected and average age for orcas.Well for the tryin to keep things on the down low its not working because as you can see from these comments others have heard and are not pleased with your carelessnes. With Much Anger from a animal lover, Catherine Urena

• CINDY COLLIER says:

AW GOD BLESS

• PUNK-IN-PHIL. says:

let d animal set free

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

PETA should post a new section on the website entitled “SeaWorld Atrocity of the Week” listing the name of a deceased inmate, animal OR human to cover both trainers and animals killed in the name of entertainment and profit, how they died, how long they had been at Sea World, and did they die in California, Texas, or Florida. Perhaps we should keep score and at the end of the year, the park with the most deaths wins a massive PETA demonstration in their parking lot, with a huge sign stating this park won the Angel of Death award for the year with the number of deaths posted on the sign.

• coni saab says:

My husband and I went to Orlando, we stated as far away from seaworld. How would you like it to be a slave for the entertainment of others…. animals just like humans feel pain and desire freedom….just remember we are here for a short period and we must them account for everything that we have done and ignorance is not n excuse…..

• coni saab says:

• Gisela says:

ok….now what does SeaWorld have to say??? Shame, shame, shame……

• Vivian says:

I amd from the coast and i would not pay to see a whale in captivity , its is hurtful and not the correct way to live , we as ppl like to display like it a trinket ohhhh come see the whale (example) we pay , but do we ever think or try to put ourselves in that animals place , walk in its shoe for one day even , NO , we get amused with it for a min then move to the next best thing , for get walk away while it suffers a lonely life no to what it should know , only ppl can stop this from happening , im not asking im begging , go see them in the ocean its truly amazing and you can sit as long as u like , no ticket no one to tell u to move on ,,, you will never see anything like it in your life the wild a natrual enviorment thats where we all belong our natrual enviorments , is anyone listening???

• Ashleigh McLaren says:

I have always prefered to see animals in their natural habitat. I hope that I will be able to see animals strive in their natural Habitat

• Michael Morley says:

Please stop this cruelty and put your energies to helping animals not keeping them restricted.

• Eddie Cintron says:

This has to end the public has to stop buying tickets these gentle giants belong at sea to contribute to the Eco System. Then they wonder why trainers have mishaps when something goes wrong.

• Beth says:

I do not go to any place that promotes the exploitation of creatures. They are not meant to be captured and contained for human entertainment.

• Adriana says:

Propongo que, como en los circos con espectaculos con animales, hagamos un boicot, no visitemos esos sitios hasta que los animales usados ahi tengan un trato digno.

• Kelsey Best says:

I used to think that Seaworld was a necessary evil because it got people, especially kids, to give a crap about marine life. But now I’m not so sure how I feel. Is it better to sacrifice a few to potentially save others in the future? I just don’t know. Why can’t people just care about these creatures on their own, without needing to sell their love in return for fancy tricks … it’s just very sad.

• amanda says:

I’m almost embarrassed that up until a few months ago I had no idea the agony these animals went through. It makes me so sad that she never had the chance to live a full life. I just hope that maybe since she knew nothing else it wasn’t that miserable for her. It is such a shame that she died but at least she’s free now

• Eric says:

If you think this is bad you should see what is happening in Japan. Some people have no soul.

• Ashlie Pounds says:

Dear SeaWorld, Many American children have graced your park over the past two decades. I say this because I was one of them. Even recently, with much regret, I attended your park in the hopes of educating myself and others. Much to my dismay, I left feeling sad and helpless. Glaring at these magnificent creatures through glass and concrete underwater viewing stations just doesn’t seem to cut it anymore. It has become clear why. These animals are wild. Breeding wild animals in captivity reduces mortality and quality of life, especially in such intelligent and social creatures. It is my hope that our future generations will discover what Sea World truly is, and stay away for good. Exploiting these creatures for pure profit and a splash here and there is cruel. Please, I approach you in pure sympathy and pity. Stop this. Stop this for the betterment of our future generations, planet Earth, and the nature we share it with.

• ocean17 says:

how shameful, how sad. only unthinking and uncompassionate inhumane beings can treat animals like slaves and commodities, and think absolutely nothing of it. a true reflection of our lockstep, indifferent consumerist culture and rampant social apathy. make no mistake about it this is animal abuse, plain and simple, all for a pretended profit motive. this chain of mistreatment and horrific abuse doesn’t need to happen at all, this is dull, mindless entertainment.

• Rex's Mom says:

I could be wrong but doesn’t Sea World rescue injured or sick marine mammals and nurse them back to health and release them back into the water? If that is true, that is wonderful. They should stick to rescuing marine mammals and stop the “show” business!

• James says:

Another soul free from an unnatural existence.

• Andrea says:

Those animals throughout their entire lives may not feel or see marine life, or have a social life with their families in the sea, limited living space and of course have a miserable life forever! please help us finish this sentence!!!

• Niki says:

This is the fourth orca to die this year at Sea World parks! Plus, just yesterday a 68 year old man was found dead at Aqutica, a dolphin theme park owned and operated by Sea World! And of course, in February, trainer Dawn Brancheau was killed by a performing orca. How horrific does it need to get before they are shut down!?

• kirkland says:

I understand the need to mourn the death of such an intelligent and beautiful creature, however I feel that using the term “murdered” is a bit overkill. . . If you would like to be taken seriously, don’t be so dramatic.

• Tucker says:

EXSCUUUUUSSSE ME HOW MANY HAVE TO DIE BEFORE THIS IS INVESTIGATED AND SHUT DOWN FOR GOOD!!!!!!?????? WHY ARN’T THESE PEOPLE BEING CHARGED?!?!?!?!?!? WHY IS NO ONE STEPPING FORWARD!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? W.T.F. IS GOING ON!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Nicole says:

Thank you Jason Perryman!! Agree with you 200% TEAM SEAWORLD FOREVER!!!!!! RIP Kalina

• Kara from Cleveland Ohio says:

Poor Orca. Loser workers at Sea World!!!! Shame on all of you! All of you need to suffer in the worst way!

• Kathleen Hidenfelter says:

Seaworld is just like the Ringling Circus. Where there is money and animals, there is crulety and death. I will never attend an event that has animals, this encludes, the Rhodeo, dog or hores races, and the like.

• DJ Kane says:

i remember going to seaworld i thought it was cool….i actually wanted to be a trainer when i was little….but i mean we need to stop having them in cages….after Kieko died….i really loved him…i was obssessed with Kieko….we really need to stop torturing these creatures…..but im still gonna attend sea world and pay the money……its not entertainment…its that i want to be close to these animlas…im even going to visit vancouver 3 times a yr…just to watch them in thier natural habitat…..long live orcas….. moment of silence for Kalina…………………….

• sarika says:

I just think it is sick … we the public are more educated and hopefully people will stop buying tickets and eventually this type of business will die out

• Berny says:

Please please, stop treating animals like this!!

• Anne says:

Rest in Peace, dear whale kalina <3 Whales belong to the sea. Don’t put these great beings to those small aquariums. Cruelty of people…

• katharine simler says:

Seaworld employees, you choose this career for your love in working with these animals; but your career choice seems ironically contradicting!!!!!!! Seaworld employees, how about showing your love to these animals by working out in the seas to stop illegal whale catching!!

• Ben says:

I liked the show ‘Shamu’ at SEAWORLD,, however I am now ashamed I attended the park, I shant be visting again,, I think that the fact I didn’t know animal are dieing regually at seaworld is an example of how these people at seaworld keep it on the low,, I pay atttenion to things as a veggie and follower of Animal and Human Rights,, I simply say,, YOU ARE DISGUSTING. SO ARE ALL ZOO’S UNLESS THEY ARE HELPING REHABIlITATE ANIMALS, OR HELP SAVE A SPECIES OF ANIMAL.

• sharon DiGenova says:

Sea World is a money making corporation with no compassion for life and no interest in truly education people about sea animals. They profit at the hands of the animals they procure – the animals pay with their lives from the time they are taken. It needs to stop. Wed do not appreciate your nasty form of entertainment – and i abhor the lies that seaworld feeds to children

• kelly says:

I won’t ever come here.let the whales live the way they should.

• Claude Hart says:

how many have 2 suffer, i hope they rot

• nacole goodman says:

I had the opportunity to go to sea world last spring with my family and i refused. once i told them about PETA and all their doign to end the abuse of aniamls at your park we all decided to pull out. I continue to preach about it to people. You need to change your name because you will no longer be known for you aqua life soon.

• Jessica says:

What a sad thing. and they don’t even think twice about it. Shame on them.

• Nadja Böthin says:

I’m schocked and very sad. It doesn’t happen again.

• Manal says:

Enough is enough free them

• Stephanie says:

What a sad tragedy…As much as I would love to see the animals of the sea, I have never bought a ticket to sea world or any other theme park with sea animals…It upsets me that this poor whale never had a chance to live with its family or have a mate….How terrible of you sea world…I hope you feel bad

• BECKY FEIGHT says:

STOP THIS CRAP!!

• Lily Underwood says:

To whom it may concern: The news of the premature death of Kalina at your “amusement” park is disheartening and tragic. It is time for Sea World to acknowledge that what you are engaging in is NOT entertainment, but animal abuse. I intend to tell every person I know to stay away from Sea World not only because your business practices are arcane and outmoded, but because those practices kill majestic, sentient creatures who deserve to live and die in freedom not imprisonment. Yours truly, Lily Underwood

• Jason Perryman says:

This is to SEAWORLD.. I am a true fan and lover of Killer Whales. I know what goes on in Seaworld from people I have met who study and watch Killer Whales. I have told everyone I meet, friends and family and co-workers what you guys do to Killer Whales and I encourage them to go on trips in the wild to see Orcas the way they are meant to be seem, free and happy and ALIVE. I am going to continue opposing you and what you do. So are others. I am so saddened and sickened about Kalina who you murdered by keeping her in your prison. People like us will make sure people like you get shut down.

• Margarita Ortiz says:

Stop killing innocent animals for profit!!

• Dasha FromRussia says:

shame! shame on animal killers at SeaWorld!

• kirsten doyle says:

Please stop treating animals like slaves

• kathy Driscoll says: