Anna Nicole Smith, RIP

Written by PETA | February 8, 2007

Oh man . . . sad, weird news. As I’m sure you’ve heard by now, Anna Nicole Smith passed away today. And I’m sure everyone in the world will have an opinion on how and why she died so young.

She worked with PETA on a lot of campaigns over the years, and as strange as it may sound, I always thought she was an absolute perfect fit for us, because just like PETA, you couldn’t ignore her and, love her or hate her, everyone had an opinion. What you see is what you get—I loved that about her.

Michael and Anna.jpg

I always got a kick out of the stories from my friend Michael, who worked with Anna Nicole on all of her PETA projects, and thinking back on it now, she really did a lot for PETA and for animals all over the world.

anna nicole smith 72.jpg

She spoke out against Iams for its cruel animal tests, spoke up for baby seals in Canada, and gave fur-wearing celebrities an earful, but in my mind her crowning achievement was this amazing anti-fur ad.

annanicoleIAMS72.jpg

After being exposed to animal rights over the years, Anna Nicole even became a vegetarian, and was nominated for the 2006 World’s Sexiest Vegetarian, and looking at her ad you can certainly see why.

It’s a tragedy when anyone passes away before their time, but with Anna Nicole, the animals have lost a true sympathiser, and PETA has lost a good friend. We’ll miss you, Anna.

Comments

• carolyn says:

its very sad how she died she probaly felt dead already inside after losing her son. she did great for peta. im sure in Heaven she is still looking out for all the animals. bless her soul

• Anne Griffin says:

So sad I heard lots of negative things about her. Only after she died I read that she was vegetarian and spoke up for animal rights. It’s sad when someone dies needlessly before they reach old age especially when they speak up for good causes. I hope that her daughter will be well looked after.

• Gabby says:

This is very sad new’s.The Animal kingdom has lost another voiceso soon after Steve Irwin. RIP Annamay you find the peace you so despratley searched for.

• Kamron says:

RIP…Anna Nicole Smith. you will be missed.

• Dani says:

Goodbye Viki Lyynn Though I never knew you at all You had courage to laugh at yourself While those around you crawled They’er crawling out of the woodwork And they’er tarnishing your name they put you on a diet pill And took away your son. And it seems to me you lived your life Like a candle in the wind Never knowing who to turn to When the storm set in. I would’ve like to Warn you but who’d get thru to that door . Your candle burned out long before Your legend ever will. Loneliness was tough The toughest role you ever played Playboy created a superstar And fame was the price you paid Even when you cried Oh the press still hounded you All the papers had to say Was that Anna was on drugs Goodbye Viki Lynn from some one in the crowd. Who sees you as something as more than a Playmate of the year. More than just our Anna Nicole

• anthony says:

Omg i am so sad i cant belive it could happen to such a good animals free person… SAVE THE ANIMALS AND REST IN PEACE

• Yolanda says:

She died a broken heart when her beloved son died. I have never felt that kind of pain. She was a very caring and kind person. She will be sadly miss.

• Nicky says:

Women like Anna Nicole and Pamela Anderson are all too easily criticized by those who make a living from cruelty to animals. However they have hadsuch a great “in your face” style that they could never be overlooked and those of us without that “clout” salute them. I hope Anna Nicole finds peace. Nicky. Australis

• VeganCindy says:

Anna Nicole and her work for the animals will be remembered i am so sorry for what happened to her.

• Robin R. says:

I wonder who will care for Anna’s dogs now. Does anyone at PETA have any information about that?

• erin says:

may she rip.

• Merya says:

What a tragic loss! Such a sad beautiful exploited lady! …How amazing that she had the kind generous spirit to choose to work her glorious assets to make a statement on behalf of those who cannot speak for themselves! Thank you PETA for honouring her.

• K says:

This is so tragic. She will be missed very much. It seems she has had so much pain in her life especially recently. Her strong vivacious spirit will live on. Rest In Peace Anna.

• jerome e. says:

I miss her too she was funny on television she always seemed happy and content but watching the news with her son’s death and all the poking fun of her she’s a human being! i miss her also and I hope she’s resting in peace with her son in heaven i miss you ans

• Dina says:

am so sad that a beautiful and caring person would be gone so soon. She is amazing and will always be remembered.

• Lauren says:

She seemed like an amazing person. When I found out she did these ads I liked her even more. You can tell how much she loved animals… Amazing soul rest in peace…

• Desiree says:

its too bad such a sweet person had to leave us..she did alot for the animal world..she will be greatly missed

• dolores says:

I feel very bad for Anna Nicole and baby. I really liked Anna. I hope she will be happy and at peace now. I hope her baby will have a good home and taken care of and I hope her 3 dogs will be taken good care of.

• Jennifer Fisher says:

You know I was always interested in Anna Nicole for some reason I just thought she put up with a lot of heart ache in her life. When I heard this morning she died I did shed a tear I would not have done that for anyone else. When I read this website I was did not know she did a lot of work for PETA. I know have shed a lot of tears. Regardless of any negative things people has said about this beautiful person she should be respected for the brilliant work she has done. I just had a feeling that she had a very good heart and now I know for sure that she does. I hope you rest in peace in Heaven out of this cruel horrible world.

• Gummy says:

With all the shite she had to put up with from the scum media and others she took the time to stand up for those who cannot. I really wish some fur bitch like jaylo beyonce jodie fosta etc died instead. The world is worse off now. RIP Anna.

• Dean says:

What an angel she was all the best people have to die it’s a tragedy. People should follow in her footsteps and I hope her children grow up to be animal lovers like their mother. RIP Beautiful

• Jamie Fox says:

Anna Thank you so much for supporting PETA! That makes you shine even more in my eyes.

• Jessica Johnson says:

It is so sad that PETA lost someone who has done so much. I was shocked to hear she died.

• MzGirlieGrrl says:

Does anyone know what kind of doggies Anna had? I’m getting a solid white shih tzu next week and i want to name her Anna …….. Be well Anna i hope you are at peace now. You will be missed By all of your human and furry friends

• marta says:

Anna Nicole Smith is up in heaven with her son and i hope from the bottom of my heart that her daughter will grow to a caring woman just like her mom RIP A.N.S

• Kaylie says:

Dude…I hella miss her….it’s a strange world

• Crystal says:

Anna Nicole you will be very much missed. I never get emotional when a “movie star” passes but this time I almost cried!

• Gaia says:

im so sad i cannot even put it into words well miss you anna!!! RIP darling

• rip anna nicole smith says:

man i seriously cannot believe that she died. it was great that she was a peta supporter. and when i heard the news i almost cried. she was a great person. rip

• kimelephant says:

I LOVED Anna. Im bawling…. such a tragic loss. RIP beautiful Lady…..

• alexandra says:

It is a tragedy especially at this woman’s young age of 39! This beautiful woman and her work she had done with PETA will be remembered forever….RIP

• Theresa Goble says:

So very sad and I was also unaware of all she did for PETA and animal rights. Bless her soul. I think she lived the last part of her life as a pawn much like many animals in entertainment. She was profiting others greed. RIP Anna and Danny

• Lindsay says:

God this is so sad. But it sucks how the media is just all “she was on drugs bla bla bla she was a bad person bla bla” and nobody friggin mentions what a GOOD person she was and all that she did to help animals. I hope that another celebrity can carry on her work for animals. in fact i hope i get famous so i can help like she did. rip anna nicole miss u already

• audie says:

when i heard she died it shocked me and now ill miss her she was an excellent spokesperson rip

• Ana Maria Aguayo says:

Es muy lamentable… shocking news. It is also very sad that media does not mention all she did for animals. Ana Maria Aguayo Chile.

• Erin says:

We’ve lost a kind soul haven’t we? Sad for the animals her dogs her baby and those who truly loved her. Peace.

• SARAH says:

It is very sad that anna died so young. i hope her family and especally her daughter can get through this I send all my love and support R.I.P

• Vincent says:

I just can’t believe that Smith died so young. I really feel bad for her daughter. I hope the blonde guy is really the father though because she looks just like him. Well about PETA. I hope other people will pick up where she had left off. RIP Anna Nicole Smith

• chris says:

why only the good go so sorry for her little baby she leaves behind. Why cant they take the evil people away that torture animals go and look after your son now rest in peace.

• Cindy says:

I truly hope other celebrities will pick up where she left off.

• hc says:

goodbye Anne Nicole

• WH says:

Too true PETA has lost an excellent spokesperson. Sad news all around.

• JENNIFER says:

I never knew that Anna did all this for Peta. RIP gorgeous.

• Lizzie says:

Thanks so much for the information about Anna Nicole Smith’s efforts against fur. That is truly inspiring and I hope other celebrities will carry on her work.

• Kimberley says:

It is unfortunate the death of another lost HOLLYWOOD soul. She left an impression on everyone in her path. Peta has also lost a powerful voice. Tragic prolific all at once. GOD BLESS

• Rachel Siqueira says:

her “what you see is what you get” posture her uniqueness her genuinity and dedication toward animal protection will be missed… it is so sad

• MJ Smyth says:

I was saddened to hear of Anna Nicole’s passing. WIthout celebrities like Anna and Pamela Anderson to help the cause of protecting animals we would have a much more difficult job getting out the message. Anna Nicole cared deeply about animals and donated her time to a worthy cause. She will be missesd by all of us at PETA . I hope her family and friends have solace in the good work she did for animals rights.

• Taylor says:

I miss her so much..i’m crying right now. It’s tough to lose someone who has done so muchespecially with PETA.

• Sonny Dhoot says: