‘But Animals Don’t Have Souls. . .’

Written by PETA | July 10, 2007

Funny-Cats/Creative Commons
Soul_Kitty.jpg

There was a really interesting article in The International Herald Tribune last week, which indirectly addressed a comment that I’ve heard surprisingly often since I started working in animal protection: “Animals don’t have souls.” I’ve never personally considered the question relevant to my work, since the only thing that matters to me is whether or not they’re capable of suffering, which it should be obvious to anyone who’s actually seen an animal that they are.

Anyway, the gist of the article was that as brain science becomes more advanced, scientists are discovering more and more evidence of actual physical processes that relate to feelings like empathy, disgust, or joy:

“That is, they are discovering physical bases for the feelings from which moral sense emerges – not just in people but in other animals as well… As biologists turn up evidence that animals can exhibit emotions and patterns of cognition once thought of as strictly human, Descartes’s dictum, ‘I think, therefore I am,’ loses its force.”

The article centers around the argument that it’s simply false reasoning to attempt to distinguish humans from animals based on who has a soul and who doesn’t. I’m still trying to wrap my head round the whole concept, honestly, but it’s definitely worth a read if you have time—or if, like me you have people giving you weird jive about souls when you try to talk to them about animals. You can read the full article here.

Comments

• Cooky, OCDS says:

Deacon Ron Thank you SO much for the reference to Job! And thanks also to Sheila for the reference to Romans. That’s just the support I’ve been looking for. In my world Scripture is the “final word” and now I’ve got it. Thanks.

• PAT KRAUSE says:

we have to remember we are accountable as humans for our sins so we have a soul that needs to be judged by GOD ON JUDGEMENT day.Animals are without sin need not to be judged as they do no wrong before GOD therefore when they die they go back to the one that gave them the breathe of life. Our God promises there will be animals birds and such in heaven.so i believe that is where they go . We as humans need to be compassionate on the animals as God directed ADAM AND EVE to care for the animals.GOD trusted us with there care.

• Rosangela Slaviero says:

l believe that animals have a special place kept for them after they pass on and that our domestic pets will be returned to be with us after death at sometime. God created animals wild and domestic along with man and woman for many reasons..so they are regarded as special.They show the same feelings as humans do.We have seen many amazing animal behaviours to prove it as a fact.Never doubt it.Look forward to seeing your beloved pets again and a new lovely Animal Kingdom.

• sally omar says:

How can anyone say animals do not have souls….how sad for these people….the worst part is animals have the answers….look in their eyes..they have the one thing that most humans don’t.. unconditional love…..they have emotions….they hurt they love they cry they feel pain……no one will ever truly know love unless they have an animal…their love is stronger than that of any human….except perhaps the love of a mother for their child…..I have alot of animals birds dogs cats rabbits they are the love of my life and they certainly love me and I know they have souls…..good souls…… Sally Omar tweetheartltdoptonline.net

• Suzanne Lawson says:

I believe that ALL Animals Great and Small have “Souls”. The Bible states that animals were put on this Earth for our pleasure. Everytime I look at one of my 7 dogs 3 cats and 1 bird I know in my heart that they all have “Souls”. If a person does not believe this then I challenge them to look into their pets eyes and see deep into their souls. My animals are all so compasionate caring loving and “Companion Animals” to me and I love them all. They see people for who they really are not for what they want us to be. They are always there when we need them the most and I pray every night and Thank God for sending me all the “abondoned and unwanted animals” that I have taken in. They are all a Blessing to me and a “joy” above all to have. I could never imagine my life without my PetsAnimals nor could I every imagine anyone wanting to “harm” an animal for any reason at all. God Bless Them All Great or Small!!! Just like the old expression “Saving one dog may not save the world but it means the world to that one dog! Thanks Suzanne Lawson Animal Lover

• Tom Ramsay says:

If the eyes are the Gateway to the soul as many have said through the ages then I ask anyone to look deeply into the eyes of a dog or cat or any SENTIENT BEING and tell me that animals do not have souls.We humans and all animals are connected by LIFE. If you read “Stillness Speaks” by Eckhardt Tolle he says that God is NOT a BeingGod is BEING itslf! This again shows that we are all connected. We do not HAVE a life or GET a life we ARE life. Next time someone says”get a life” to you try answering “But I AM life” and the other person will give a confused look or nod and agree with you. If the latter you have found a kindred spirit one who doubtless love life in all its forms. The best psychologist can never replace a pet especiallymy opinion a dog greeting you at the door and licking your face! Bless ‘em all! Tom Ramsay

• Jaimie says:

This is quite possibly the largest crock of chocolate pudding I’ve ever heard. Animals have souls and personalities just like humans and to say otherwise only emphasizes your own ignorance.

• Jody Biesche says:

It breaks my heart every time I hear that yet another animal has been hurt abused abandoned or killed by another ignorant and heartless human. Those animals have way more soul than their torturers. The only bright spot is that as I read these responses from all of you I sense your love and understanding and then I don’t feel so alone in this battle. If we all just keep bearing witness speaking out educating people making compassionate choices in what we eat and what we wear doing what we can when we can and supporting each other while loving and caring for all the animals in our little corner of the world then some day EVERYBODY will “get it.” Peace love and prosperity to you all!

• K says:

Well I have to agree that one cannot say for certain if an animal does or does not have a Spirit being within them one that would transcend death onto better things. I’d definitely like to think that they do. I have two dogs and love them to pieces. But I think there is a thin line between a Spirit being and a soul. I think animals have souls and humans alike. Souls to me are like a beam of light that resides in everyone of us to unite us all it is our form of expression ability to love and have compassion. You don’t have to be a scientist or even a Priest to be able to look into an animal’s eyes and see their soul. Like how my dogs can sense how I’m feeling and give me comfort when I need it. But as I get all Christiany on you there is also another thin line between humananimals and others of God’s creations. Only humanity was made in God’s own image and given a piece of his own Spirit Being. Animals were made as a wonderful form of God’s creation I believe as Mankind’s companions and to live together never belonging to humans but belonging to God. I think animals and people were meant to serve one another as equals. In fact it was only after Adam was unable to find a wife among these creations that God made Eve. This is only my point of view and I’m definitely not trying to say it is the correct one or anything like that. I was raised in the church and everything but I’m not trying to be a Bible thumper. I would love to find biblical verses and such to support my theory but this would be only from a biblical standpoint. I hope I have provided merely an insight and that no one is offended. Thanks!

• Teresa says:

Well some people don’t seem to have souls either. I have the impression that the only human thing about them is their outward appearance.

• Lem says:

soul is an invention of religions. no one have a soul.

• Jean B says:

HERE IS A SHORT EMOTIONAL STORY I MUST RELAY TO ALL ON EASTER I WENT TO A CATHOLIC CHURCH. AFTER MASS I ASKED TO SPEAK TO THE PRIEST ABOUT THE LOVE OF MY LIFE ONE OF MANY RESCUES 15 YEARS PRIOR FROM THE STREET WHO HAD BEEN HORRIBLY ABUSED. WE WERE AS CLOSE AS HUMAN AND ANIMAL COULD BE. HER NAME WAS NICKIE A SHEPLAB MIX. NICKIE AND I HAD LOST HER ‘SISTER’ SARA ANOTHER RESCUED ABUSED PUPPY FROM THE STREETS THE YEAR BEFORE AT AGE 14. WE WERE BOTH THERE FOR HER EUTHANASIA AS A COMFORT FOR SARA AND TO LET NICKIE KNOW SHE WAS GONE AND WOULD NOT SEARCH FOR HER ENDLESSLY AS MOST DO. NOW I KNOW WHY IT IS RECOMMENDED. WHEN I RETURNED TO PICK UP HER ASHES THEY ASKED IF NICKIE SEARCHED FOR SARA I REPLIED SHE DID NOT AND NOW GIVE THIS ADVICE ALSO TO HAVE THEIR COMPANIONS PRESENT SO THEY KNOW THEY ARE GONE. I STILL HAVE NOT FULLY GRIEVED LIKE I MUST THROUGH ANIMAL GRIEF COUNSELING FOR ‘MY GIRLS’. I WAS HYSTERICAL WHEN IT WAS NICKIE’S TIME PAST TIME. AS HARD AS I TRIED I COULD NOT CONTROL MY EMOTIONS AND THE VET SAID IT WOULD BE BETTER IF I WASN’T PRESENT FOR THE EUTHANASIA AS IT WOULD BE MORE UPSETTING FOR NICKIE. IT IS HORRIBLE ON US BUT COMFORTING FOR THEM TO BE THERE I STILL HAVE GUILT I WAS NOT THERE FOR HER YET UNDERSTOOD MY VET’S POINT AND JUST HOPE I DID THE RIGHT THING BY NOT BEING PRESENT AS I HAD PREPARED FOR FOR YEARS BACK TO THE PRIESTI ASKED TO TALK TO HIM AFTER THE SERVICE AS HE HAD MENTIONED HIS DOG IN HIS HOMILY. AS WE TALKED I BEGAN TO LOSE IT THEN HE DID. HE TOLD ME OF HIS LOVE FOR HIS DOG THAT MATCHED MINE I TOLD HIM I WENT TO A ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI PARISH TO SEE IF THE PRIEST WOULD GIVE NICKIE LAST RIGHTS OR AT LEAST A PRAYER FOR HERHE SAID NO AND TURNED AWAY I TOLD THIS PRIEST WHAT HAPPENED. HE BECAME ANGRY AND SAID THE PRIEST WHO DENIED MY REQUEST WAS WRONG AND WAS NOT A PRIEST TO ACT THIS WAY. HE APOLOGIZED. IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN OF THIS GREAT PRIEST AT THE TIME. I FOUND HIM BY CHANCE IN ANOTHER COUNTY. I ASKED THE PRIEST IF ANIMALS HAVE SOULS. THE PRIEST STATED “YES GOD WOULD NOT BE SO CRUEL TO NOT UNITE US WITH OUR ANIMALS” HE WAS COMPLETELY SINCERE. THEN AS WE WERE CRYING HE LIFTS HIS ROBE SLEEVE TO REVEAL A FULL ARM TATOO OF HIS DECEASED DOG!!! THAT SAID IT ALL! NO MORE WONDERING FOR ME AND I HOPE FOR ALL WHO READ THIS. BELIEVE.

• Marcia Terry says:

Of coarse animals have souls. They think and feel and they also have the ability to reason. People think becuase another being can not vebalize as they do then they must be stupid. It was once thought that animals can not think or reason. Anyone who has taken a moment to watch an animal knows this is wrong. They are living beings just like humans so it stands to reason they they are living souls.

• Barbara Culver says:

I believe we are the protectors of those without accepted tools of communication and who are too trusting. Animals and small children are in this category. It doesn’t take a great leap of imagination and there are countless scholars who have stated it to realize that if you have the ability to torture an animal it is a short walk to being able to torture a child. And when you turn your eyes away from the suffering of an animal you will do the same to your own “soulful” species. We are the voice of the silent disenfranchised and wounded.

• JASMIN HORST E.P.SEILER says:

All beings have the creators soul it’s in the act of creation when I paint my canvas my soul goes into it. some beings have windows to the soul have you ever looked into a puppies eyes there is so much soul there that we as humans have a hard time absorbing it all especially scientifically ha! I wonder what St. Francis would have said about all the animal abuse going on today and the ravenous consumtion of meat etc. He did go to the emperor just for the sake of the birds I bet ya factory farming the sealing industry et al etc dogfightingand so on he’d be at the gates of hell challenging our elected officials to do their moral duty he would like you Ingrid and all of you it is heartwarming to see some humans having an abundance of soul.My little teacup was and is all soulJasmin rests in my soul now and shall be with me forever and all of you I am sure will be with your loving pets always.

• Sheila says:

Let us hear what GOD says about animals having spiritssouls. I believe God over humans every time. Romans 821 “Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.” I cannot wait to get off this planet and be with my “children” and family and friends in the House of the Lord!

• Rev. Deacon Ronald Thompson, OSB, SMA, DD says:

I see we have a problem when it comes to believing if an amimal has a soul or not. Well I would like to put in my two cents as well. Having a prayer ministry for animals I happen to believe that animals do have souls. The reason I believe this is becasue the bible suggests it. If you read Job12710 “But now ask the beasts to teach you and the birds of the air to tell you or the reptiles on the earth to enstruct you and the fish of the sea to inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of God has done this? In his hand is the soul of every living thing and the life breath of all mankind” So many teach that we won’t see animals in heaven if that is the case then tell me where Christ gets the whit horse he will return to earth on? I can’t prove that animals do have a soul but prove to me that they don’t.

• Tara says:

Anyone who thinks animals don’t have a soul is just plain dumb andor ignorant. That is all there is to it! Case closed!

• Gloria Feldscher says:

Episcopal priest Rev. Alvin Van Pelt Hart called the “animals have no souls” idea “arrogant nonsense.” He continues “The other animals are actually sinless beings who are at the mercy of the most cruel predator this Earth has ever knownthe human animal. Whether or not the other anmals have souls is as unprovable as the proposition that the human animal has a soul. Such things are a matter of faith and I for one believe that the spirit of God dwells in His entire creation. One final point If the other animals are not in heaven I do not want to go there for a heaven withly human animals in it believing themselves to be the lords of creation would be hell!”

• Laura Corey says:

I’ve heard countless times people that have neglected animals to the point of abuse saying “They are just animals” “Animals don’t have feelings” or ” They don’t have souls”. This sounds more an excuse to me. Whether people have religious beliefs or not this is a matter of ethics and compassion. Animals have proven countless times to be better than us. Why is so hard for so many people to understand that animals do feel joy and pain?

• Anonymous says:

“Since animals do not know right from wrong they do not so to speak have souls.” I had to comment on the above quote to saymy children know right from wrong because I taught themmy dog knows right from wrong because he was taught.So I don’t feel your statement was correct.

• Jennifer says:

How anyone can be so ignorant to believe that an animal has no soul is beyond me. How anyone can go to work at a slaughterhouse everyday is beyond me. How anyone can abuse and torture animals and call it a sport ie Michael Vick is beyond me. Anyone who has ever looked into an animals eyes knows that there is intelligence there and that they express themselves the best they can obviously since they can’t talk. I cannot wait to see all of my animal friends that have crossed over to the other side when I pass. I know they will be there waiting for me with wagging tails and kisses

• Gaby says:

THOSE WHO SAY ANIMALS DONT HAVE SOUL MUST PROBABLY HAVE ALREADY LOST THEIR OWN SOUL LONG TIME AGO……..

• withgoddes says:

Well I hope vegan 4 is correct and the murderers will one day realize what they have done and somehow I can’t but hope that they will experience a little retribution as well. I know that we can communicate with animals without words…No problem in my house. Did you know that if you really pay attention to animals as well…intuitively if you will. You will notice also that the one’s that live with you will often say words that you say …the issue being we have blocked our ears. All of my animals call me Mom with the final “M’ very noticeable. My 11 year old shephuskey started it about 6 years ago…and everyone has followed suit Even cats that were born into the household when their mother arrived 5 years ago…It doesn’t “sound” like Mom it is the word mom…it is the way they call me or get my attention. My rabbit cannot do it..but then he doesn’t say much of anything…poor guy. Also Dorothy the shephuskey says “food” but it sounds more like “H oo d”. I guess it “f” is hard to say…then she and the other dog also say food now that he has joined us by sneezing the word…talk about inventive…and all to communicate with inconsequential me. Ah yes! Animal tales. Of course now they are trying to diagnose St. Francis as having a mental disorder…so what else is new…anyone who is before their time or has an understanding that is deeper than that of the average person is written off as”insane”. To the person that wrote the word “wear” don’t worry we knew what you meant before you posted your apology. It’s ok! withgoddess RPN

• Fab4Bird says:

How can any living creature that LOVES NOT have a soul?? Ask any pet owner if their animal loves them…….it’s UNCONDITIONAL!!!

• Cheri says:

Animals certainly understand our emotions. Why can’t others understand theirs? They are aware of our anger and they also express anger. The same goes for any emotion they remember who hurts them and they remember who has shown kindness to them.

• Susan Fisher says:

Here’s my take Since animals do not know right from wrong they do not so to speak have souls. However they do have sweet spirits which differs from a soul. Upon death it is these sweet spirits that have eternal life with us when we all reach the “other side”. It is here that the lion with lie down with the lamb and we will reunite with all of our animal companions that we have loved in this life. God bless the beasts and the children for these are truly God’s most innocent creations.

• Anonymous says:

Animals have much more soul than we have.

• Jacqueline Clark says:

If you read the Bible specifically in the book of Ecclesiates 319 it states this For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other indeed they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast for all is vanity So that is enough for me Animals do have souls

• vegan4animals says:

I have proof that ALL animals have souls so this is easy for me to grasp. Of course animals have souls! And you know what’s great about that fact? The scum who harm animals and treat them so thoughtlessly while munching on their tortured corpses will find out when they die. Then they will find “remember” that they can communicate with all beings via telepathy. Yes they have been munching on the bodies of murdered beings with souls! Spiritual beings who are equal to them in every which way and might I say in many cases more advanced than the ignorant and presumptuous human being. As a species human is as of right now the lowliest and most soulless of all beings on this planet until the behavior changes to respect and compassion for all beings. Why? Humans are in a position of power and are abusing the animals and the planet. Such power obligates one to use great care and compassion wielding it for others rather than the current system of exploitation. Just look at the array of human diseases the wars the greed….this is a result of humans lack of understanding of the spiritual origin and connection of ALL beings.

• Virginia Adejumo says:

Just share your life for one month with an animal. During that time look into the animal’s eyes every day. Then say that animals have no soul. They have more soul than humans.

• Bert says:

Animals do have “souls”. NatureGod created us the way ithe did. We all have souls and feelings but I also think some of us have too much free time on our hands. I am not a veg nor am I planning to become one but I do hate when people hurt animals. I know I have done it too when I was little but this is when you parents come in and explain to the poor stupid kid that things like these hurt and you do not hurt living things. I still remember “How would you like if I did that to you???” coming from my mum or my dad. God bless us all the pray and the predator!!!

• Maya says:

Hi Bullydawg! Don’t get me wrong I certainly did not mean to deny the existence of God or reincarnation or life beyond death. I believe strongly in reincarnation actually and I’m confident that in fact you will be united with your companions again some day. What I meant to say is that when people say “well animals don’t have souls” they are using that as an excuse to mistreat animals and what I say to that is while faith is not proven science is and science has proven that they feel emotions and sensations so whether or not faith thinks they are soulless is irrelevant. But that’s not to say I disrespect faith I have it myself so I respect it so long as people use it for peace and good and not harm and evil. Blessings!

• Ariel says:

ALL of these comments are very very beautiful…and I too believe that animals have souls. They are not inanimate objects because God has breathed life into them just as He had done with humans from the beginning of creation. God’s breath of life is eternal therefore so are animals’ souls. I believe that each one of us here has a special gift from God that enables us to recognize this. Also St. Francis of Assisi referred to animals as our brothers and sisters as well as he preached to them. And St. Francis is considered to be “the” greatest saint.

• kris shulfer says:

all i really need to say is i know what i believe and other animal lovers believe that animals do have souls feelings and they do feel pain as we do they are all little blessings no matter what form they are in..cats dogs fish birds alpacha’s etc… i love them all and respect them all!! and i love all the opinions and all the wonderful people who do there part for the animals your all paying it forward and it does work!!

• Warwak says:

Animals are the pure innocent essence of life. Cannot have much more soul than that. Just because we identify something name it put it in a category does not make it real. What is in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Shakespeare Its nice science and religion are conversing though. Science without religion is lame religion without science is blind. Einstein Unfortunately these days sifting through todays garbage dump of minutia is a tall order for the average sort. In the end talk becomes cheap.

• John K. Diamond says:

Gd made it more than abundantly clear in the Bible that animals do have souls. Those with a contrary opinion need to find a way to debate the Creator on this issue. Good Luck!!!!!

• Susannah says:

It was once said that women don’t have souls that AfricanAmericans don’t have souls that Jews have no souls etc. etc. It’s part of the lexicon of prejudice and makes it easier to put someone else down or disregard their rights and feelings. So it is with animals too. If people had to admit that animals have souls or feelings or rights which they clearly do it would make it harder to eat them wear them exploit them experiment on them. Just ask Hitler the way to trample over someone else’s rights is to belittle them treat them as inferiors and say they have no soul. It’s absolutely senseless to say that an animal has no soul. If the whole idea of having a soul is real and I believe it is then it’s obvious that if humans have them animals do too. We have too much else in common to exclude “souldom” based on species.

• Jessica says:

I can’t BELIEVE I typed “our duty to wear them.” I’m so ashamed. Yeah take out the extra “wear” and you’ll get what I mean.

• Debbie says:

Just as Hell was invented in the Middleages to scare people into Christianity animals having no souls was developed to justify the slaughter and torture of sentient beings for human consumption and entertainment. I know what I see when I look an animal in the face and refuse to be told what it is and how to feel about it by a dusty religion or ignorant people.

• BullyDawg says:

Maya I have read many articles about the research you speak of re physiological processes and emotion. However I would argue that there are many spiritual and religious people in the movement people who believe in the existance of souls both animal and human. Just as there are prolifers and prochoicers Dems and Repubs etc. that are PETA members and animal rights activists. I personally believe in the soul and that I will be reunited with Rascal Totty Maggie Sugar Bear Ruffian Achilles Claude deBussycat and Buford T. Pussercat in the great beyond. But I don’t believe that faith and science can be or should be permanently segregated either. Just my humble opinion.

• Hassie says:

This soul argument is stupid and is only an excuse for random cruelty and disregard. In fact I am certain that they do have souls. They rely entirely on their creator without reservation or question. Their souls are closer to God than ours because of their purity and innocence. People create stories to absolve themselves of their own cruelty and greed. God created these creatures loves them and entrusted their care to us. We will all answer one day for our own behavior.

• Warwak says:

Animals are the pure innocent essence of life. Cannot have much more soul than that. Just because we identify something name it put it in a category does not make it real. Whats in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” Shakespeare Its nice science and religion are conversing though. “Science without religion is lame religion without science is blind.” Einstein Unfortunately these days sifting through todays garbage dump of minutia is a tall order for the average sort. In the end talk becomes cheap.

• shell says:

As a Christian I believe animals have souls and humans have spirits. God used many animals in the Bible it is said “Every creature here below” and “Every knee will bow”. He hears every cry of pain human or animal. I personally I looking forward to the day when the lion lays with the sheep and there is no more slaughter of creatures. Until thenI do not contribute to the screams of creatures in pain and am Vegetarian.

• Maya says:

I can clear this up really quickly. The “soul” is not a scientifically recognized term. So in scientific terms humans don’t have souls either. Certain parts of the brain are responsible for emotions like fear love anger and physical sensations like pain and hunger. If an animal has that part of the brain they have the ability to feel those emotions and sensations. Neuroscience is discovering that parts of the brain previously deemed “useless” are actually useful. So animals like lobsters crabs etc may have more feelings than previously thought. The “souls” nonsense is obviously put forth by people who don’t understand science.

• Eternal Flame says:

Sorry I forgot to name the animal loving poet giant it is Johann Wolfgang von Goethe!!!

• Eternal Flame says:

That ‘animals have no soul’ was the most insane and ruthless statement ever made in history and it came from Descartes a man who didn’t have any idea about what he was talking at that time but had a certain influence on that time’s society and this idea was quickly welcomed by the church and opened hell’s gate for every kind of animal abuse. Nevertheless I think that time showed us enough evident examples that Descartes was wrong also considering a host of other past and modern philosophers speaking in favour of animals’ soul like Schopenhauer Lord Byron George Bernard Shaw Leo Tolstoi Victor Hugo Upton Sinclair Elias Canetti and german poet giant who said The one who tortures animals has no soul and is lacking in GOD’s spirit!

• Brianna Fritchey says:

Foolish are the people that still believe animals don’t have souls. Scientists recently discovered that when you tickle a rats belly they’ll let out these funny little squeaks that are the equivalent of laughter so obviously they feel joy. People have said for years that the reason cats “pattycake” when cuddling is because it reminds them of when they were kittens and still nursing so they obviously have memories just like we do. And if animals did not think why would they test water before walking through it?

• Jessica says:

I think we can’t say that animals don’t have souls any more than we can say that our parents children friends and neighbors do have them. Personally I’m on the fence about it but if they don’t have souls they are the best damn AI ever. Seriously. There has got to be a reason that they perfectly emote joy jealousy boredom pain anger emotional hurt and so on not to mention increadible displays of intelligence. It’s impossible to reasonably believe that something emotes and reasons by accident and quirks of nerve signals. It seems obvious that animals are here with us for a reason. I believe that one of their many many purposes is to through companionship teach us how to better interact with our fellow humans. Most reasonable people recognize that if you can’t treat an animal well you can’t treat a human well. To exploit abuse wear and eat these creatures is NOT fulfilling our duty to wear them. I refuse to believe “Animals are here to eatwearexploit.” We don’t need our food to scream. We don’t need our coats to cry. We don’t need our entertainment to try to run away. I don’t see how anyone who does believe in a higher power can believe that said power would design such a system. It’s cruel and disgusting and makes us cruel and disgusting. We and animals have a greater purpose than that.

• Cuckoo4tofu says:

I don’t understand the mentality of people who doubt that nonhuman animals have a “soul” or feelings just because they cannot speak. We can’t keep pretending that we are a superior species that we are the only ones with emotions when there is proof of nonhuman animals being capable of feeling the same emotions as humans. For those sceptics out there I suggest the PBS DVD “Animal Minds” which looks at both animal intelligence and emotions httpwww.amazon.comNatureAnimalMindsGeorgePagedpB0000CBY02